Jeff's New Series Announced

Triumph

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Randomizer. The class and skill system will be a refreshing change, though based on the screenshots it looks like a simpler version of systems used in games like Sonny. I guess the use of multiple party members could leave some room for interesting mechanics.

The name boggles me a little bit. First because it is one letter, and one sound, away from "Avalon", a mythological reference that is quite different but persists when hearing "Avadon" perhaps because it rolls off the tongue a bit easier. Second because it also sounds a lot like Avernum. Third because... I dunno, I just don't like it. *shrug*

Besides the misgivings apparently quite a few of us feel about the name...what do people think of setting as described? Personally, it doesn't strike me as having quite the same...hmm...pizzazz as the initial premise of Exile/Avernum, or Nethergate. Just closer to generic fantasy, nothing to distinguish it. Maybe closer to the way Geneforge was first described. Of course, Geneforge was fleshed out in interesting ways and turned out well. But if you just go read the blurb on the game page, it's not that flashy or intriguing (at least, for me, not as much as Avernum/Nethergate).

I think, after all these years, I have earned a little bit of faith in coming up with a cool storyline. Believe me, as I release info about the setting in the world, you'll see that it will stand out and have a lot of character.

However, there is only so much information that can go in a press release, and I don't want to overload it with stuff, about the Pact, and the Farlands, and Redbeard and his "wives", and the philosophy of Avadon, and, well, there is a TON of background info on the land and history of Lynaeus.

This is just the first bit of info. Lots to come. Be cool.

- Jeff Vogel

The name doesn't thrill me all that much, but then again, how creative are Nethergate or Geneforge as names, either? So I'll put up and shut up on this one. Lynaeus, though? I can only imagine all the weird ways people will pronounce that one.

The engine looks like an adaptation of the newest Avernum engine, with a healthy dose of Avadon flavor tossed in. It's good to have new stuff to look at for this brave, new series.

I'm not at all worried about the plot. Even if it does look and sound a bit cliche, generic fantasy, for now, Jeff is master of creating unsuspected twists of plot. That's what make his games so characteristically Spiderweb.

And I'm really psyched to finally be playing a Spiderweb game that has more than one or two major countries!

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Besides the misgivings apparently quite a few of us feel about the name...what do people think of setting as described? Personally, it doesn't strike me as having quite the same...hmm...pizzazz as the initial premise of Exile/Avernum, or Nethergate. Just closer to generic fantasy, nothing to distinguish it. Maybe closer to the way Geneforge was first described. Of course, Geneforge was fleshed out in interesting ways and turned out well. But if you just go read the blurb on the game page, it's not that flashy or intriguing (at least, for me, not as much as Avernum/Nethergate).

Conceptually, it actually reminds me quite a bit of Nethergate, in the sense that Jeff is going back to the historical roots of a story and then using that as a jumping-off point. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Still not feelin' the name though.

ohh shiny,

cant wait to play it.

the name is rather annoying thought, to close to avernum for my liking.

EDIT: "And I'm really psyched to finally be playing a Spiderweb game that has more than one or two major countries!"

yes, the fraction choice is what really turned me on to geneforge, i wonder what the philosophy of the different sides will be...

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
Lynaeus - Linn-Hard A-Uss.

Lynaeus has long been the continent name in my D&D campaigns. I just like the way it looks.

- Jeff Vogel

Really? Hmm, never would have seen that pronunciation coming. I just guessed that it would be phonetically similar to the more famous Linnaeus.

I think, after all these years, I have earned a little bit of faith in coming up with a cool storyline. Believe me, as I release info about the setting in the world, you'll see that it will stand out and have a lot of character.

Oh, I have certainly faith that it will turn out to be quite interesting. You do a great job with building interesting, details worlds. smile I was just thinking about first impressions.

So... continent name coming from D&D campaigns. Does that mean we can expect the return of the GIFTS?

Edit: It also occured to me that there is at least one CRPG named Avalon. Between that, Avernum, and the popular (for no reason I can fathom) Aveyond series (possiblty the most similar-sounding of them all), this name-space is getting crowded...

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
It also occured to me that there is at least one CRPG named Avalon. Between that, Avernum, and the popular (for no reason I can fathom) Aveyond series (possiblty the most similar-sounding of them all), this name-space is getting crowded...

Quick, someone start a Wikipedia disambiguation page! tongue

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Lynaeus - Linn-Hard A-Uss.

Lynaeus has long been the continent name in my D&D campaigns. I just like the way it looks.

- Jeff Vogel

Really? Hmm, never would have seen that pronunciation coming. I just guessed that it would be phonetically similar to the more famous Linnaeus.

When I first saw it I pronounced it like JV did.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Lynaeus, though? I can only imagine all the weird ways people will pronounce that one.

That's probably meant to be pronounced like Carolus Linnaeus.

Hey that's who I thought of. Hopefully Lynaeus isn't a master classifier or something similar.

Originally Posted By: 1 n33d n0 1n7r0duc710n
yes, the fraction choice is what really turned me on to geneforge, i wonder what the philosophy of the different sides will be...

There is a fierce difference of opinion on how to kill the Avadon loyalists.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Edit: It also occured to me that there is at least one CRPG named Avalon. Between that, Avernum, and the popular (for no reason I can fathom) Aveyond series (possiblty the most similar-sounding of them all), this name-space is getting crowded...

It does have the advantage of getting the game up near the top of the alphabetical list. Get the customers before they browse into the B's.

Is it absolutely certain that the "unique abilities" are unique to classes rather than novel and unique to Avadon? I suppose Jeff is the only one who can answer that one.

—Alorael, who has no real opinion on the name. There's not enough other information to opine on the plot or background. That said, Jeff has delivered in the past, and he has only delivered more over time. High expectations are warranted after G5 and A6.

Keep in mind that Jeff can't afford to try something really wild and crazy. He needs to have as sure a market as possible, and traditional fantasy still sells big time.

What I find promising in the Avadon premise so far is that it sounds as though Jeff has taken some of the best elements from Geneforge and Avernum, and made them central instead of accidental. Mainly, Jeff seems to have developed a good knack for building up a long story out of coherent episodes — mission chains and chapters set in distinct map sections that you progressively explore. Avadon sounds as though he decided to make a game explicitly and deliberately around that concept, rather than beginning with some other theme, and then working his chaptered story structure into it.

If you're working for some kind of government agency, you've got a sense of purpose and belonging from the beginning. This is one of the things that worked well in Avernum, but it was always a little bit confounded by the fact that Avernum wasn't a normal kind of state, but more a loose association of rebellious individuals. So the setting didn't do as much as it could have to disguise the fact that 'your country, Avernum' was really only a couple of Bobs. The chaotic nature of Avernum was, of course, also an essential ingredient that made the Avernum games great; but I think it had this one drawback as well.

It also sounds as though the multiple allies and enemies may allow for something like the Geneforge faction schemes, which also worked well. It was fun to debate the merits of the different factions, and explore different games based on each one. But you could feel kind of aimless until you formally joined one of the factions. If you waited until you reached one of the later available ones, you spent a long time just powergaming before finally starting your actual story; but if you joined an early one, you spent most of the game supposedly working for a group that felt more and more irrelevant to the cooler, higher level zones you eventually reached.

I like the look of the screenshots, and the 'tech tree' of skills looks to be interesting, too.

I was hoping a teeny bit that Jeff would do something out of the blue and give us all a sci fi epic instead of another fantasy setting. I'm sure it'll be great, but I was a much bigger fan of Geneforge than of the Avernum series. I hope one of the classes has a similar playstyle to Shaper.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
When I first saw it I pronounced it like JV did.

But but... there's neither an R nor a D in the name! How could you know to pronounce it like that?

When Jeff says "hard A" he's not saying to pronounce the word "hard", he's saying that it's a long (hard) 'A' sound.

Can't wait!

I just want to say, those fights with a single though enemy are the best, keep those. Fighting the same weak enemies over and over can get boring on some games.

Also, I would love to see more of that stuff like the area above fort saffron on A6; that was very enjoyable and I think someone made a whole topic about how fun that fight was.

Originally Posted By: Corker
I was hoping a teeny bit that Jeff would do something out of the blue and give us all a sci fi epic instead of another fantasy setting. I'm sure it'll be great, but I was a much bigger fan of Geneforge than of the Avernum series. I hope one of the classes has a similar playstyle to Shaper.

Just play Avernum and mentally translate.
Magic -> Psionic
Goblin -> Space Goblin
Sword -> Laser Sword
Empire -> Empire
etc

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
It's good to have new stuff to look at for this brave, new series.
Oh, what a brave new series that has such NPCs in it!

I, for one, am impressed.

He looks to me like he's about to saunter up and say something along the lines of "Have I got a deal for you..."
In other words, he looks less like a warrior and more like a merchant wearing plate armor. Maybe he's some type of "rogue" class.

What I really like on the inventory screen is that it shows you not only an item's stats, but also the stats of the item you've got equipped, making them easier to compare.

Spiderweb has been dragged kicking and screaming into the newer generation game enhancements.

—Alorael, who enjoys the fact that while Spiderweb does sometimes have to reinvent the wheel, it can usually get away with inventing a newer wheel. You know, the ones made after someone worked out that wheels work better when round.