Skipping Avernum 1 and moving to 2

There are places in Avernum 2 where you will get information about what happened in Avernum 1. You don't miss anything except the irritation about no quest list.

The games can be played without having to do them in order and going backwards can be a pain because of the more primitive features.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door.

Originally Posted By: IanFreddie07
I usually play in chronological order, but I decided to skip Avernum 1 (though my saves are still preserved) maybe because it lacked a list of quests you have taken. (It's really important for a game with a huge scope)
Yeah, the lack of a quest list can be a bit of a pain; it helps to take good notes, by clicking on "record" and/or with old-fashioned pen/pencil and paper.

Also, I seem to remember someone posting a list of quests somewhere. If I could find it again, it would be rather helpful.

I really do think you miss out on something. A1 has a unique feeling to it, none of the other games are as adventurous. The caves in the days before the Empire War were still very mysterious, and you can wander around in it quite much in any fashion you like. No linear plot here.

Plus, for me it was very fun and interesting to see how places I've visited change from game to game. In A1, you explore a fuming cavern filled with fire lizards, in A2 you visit a hot spring relaxation thingy at the exact same spot.

I agree. I'm not convinced it's absolutely necessary to play through all of A1, but I'd recommend it. At the very least, playing the demo lets you get a sense of how different things are during the war in A2.

That said, once you've played the game, you know what Avernum was like. Maybe a brief refresher to get the sense of a real rough frontier would be nice, but you won't forget where Tor and Kelner got their beginnings.

—Alorael, who understands why Jeff elided some of the background details of Avernum in later games. In A1, they are the game, not just the backdrop. But still, the game gives a better sense of, say, the love/hate/delicious relationship between humans and cave lizards than later games.