I, II, or III

scorpio803

Excluding all the programming specifics that are well beyone my ability, and although E-II wasn't too elaborate and did have a choice that made it two games in one, I prefer a simple, enjoyable 'game' rather than a huge, randomly laid out, 'project'.

I feel a game should be a game, not a career.

For its time in history and in the vein of the Ultima series', I thought that E-I was a great game.

me

Roger,

Exile II does have the best story (I don’t think I or III come close), but Exile III has the best game system, (except for the lack of the pacifist trait), and the world was developed the best. Jobs really added a lot, (and did it also add weapon improvement? That’s another neat function). It’s hard to decide which is better.

I liked Exile III the best. It was well designed, in my opinion more so than the other two, and kept me busy longer.... It also helped that when I made my switch to Linux, I could take Exile III with me. Given that I only played the demo because my wallet was already hurting at the time, I feel bad that Spiderweb Software became discouraged and demoralized about making Linux games. With the resurgence of the Linux desktop, and more businesses using it in corporate environments and the work people seeing it and trying it out at home, Linux will gain a foothold. Also, Windows Vista hasn't been doing so well... Already with all the other advancements in propagation of Linux to the masses (Dell selling Ubuntu PCs, Everex and ASUS low cost machines, etc.), Spiderweb Software should rethink their position about Linux games.

Anyone who says that the games always work fine under Wine are crazy. The latest versions of Wine + any of the Exile and a few of the Avernum games = borked up screen and sound. Sound is easily fixed with driver emulation, but screen issues... Also it is a very weak excuse to not support Linux natively when there are very powerful cross-platform toolkits that can be used for game development (SDL, OpenAL, wxWidgets, MinGW, Code::Blocks, wxFormBuilder, etc.), and all these tools work on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. I just hope Spiderweb reconsiders it for Avernum 5. Now that would be sweet for Linux.

• 2 weeks later...

Of the trilogy, I found E3 first, E1 last. I also believe E1 to be the hardest, and E3 to be the easiest.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Exile I had that neat feature of recharging wands

I liked that feature a lot, and wish it would've lasted longer than just E1 & E2. It was an excellent (not to mention cheap) way to get more shots from a wand.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by Unhasty:
Apparently it also prevents the character from indirectly damaging the opponent in any way, including by summons, field spells, buffs and debuffs...
I briefly tried using a pacifist character once a few years ago and I'm pretty sure that damaging field spells don't work but all the others, including summons, do. It still means you have a character who's useless half the time, and the experience bonus won't come anywhere near making up for not getting any kills at all.

I just did a test. With a fresh Pacifist, the follow spells were castable in combat mode:

- Light

- Invisibility

- Long Light

- Light Heal

- Weaken Poison

- Sanctuary

- Symbiosis

- Cure Poison

- Light

- Heal

- Light Heal All

- Cure Disease

- Restore Mind

That is the COMPLETE list. Pacifism not only stops Bless and Haste, Summon Spirit and Flame Cloud, it also stops Dispel Field and Scry Monster!

(Obviously, this list does not include spells unavailable at the start of the game.)

The workaround is that Pacifism has no effect outside of combat mode, so in walkabout mode a Pacifist can cast summon spells (as well as Dispel Field and Scry Monster). But most other prohibited spells can only be cast in combat mode, so they can't be used at all.

Ridiculous.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm sly, really as I never played the first Exile game, I suppose I really missed out.

I loved II, my first ever Exile experience. I got the shareware version on a disc of assorted games. I'm ever so pleased I did!

From the age of seven, Exile consumed me. It was all I thought about during school hours. I shunned my friends for it and got restricted to a measley 30 minutes computer allowance because of my addiction. It's so strange to think that now.

Anyway, in reply to the main question. Exile 3, it took me ages to complete but it was an amazing feeling when I did. Genius plot.

I suppose I shall have to get into Avernum now, I'm sure I'd feel a traitor as I'm a bit of an old stick but I'm sure I won't regret it! I never do.

I talk too much...

Quote:
Originally written by Unhasty:

That is the COMPLETE list.
(Obviously, this list does not include spells unavailable at the start of the game.)
Okay, so it isn't complete then. Hmm. I'd put up the complete list of spells up, but I've never played with a pacifist.
Anyway, to add to my previous reply, I agree with some of the posters here that III had the best engine, and II had the best plot.