Dust Bowl: Yet Another AIMHack Campaign

Sarachim

Here comes one of them fancy level-ups I've heard so much about.

Click to reveal.. (Stats)
Name: Wybren Niemantsverdriet

Sex/Race: Male Elf

Alignment: Jovial

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 4

Hit Points: 14/14 (+6)

Stamina: 10/10

Speed: 5

Composure: 4 Ranks + 1 Racial (+1)

Magic (Enchantment): 4 Ranks (+1)

Martial (Crossbows): 4 Ranks (+1)

Perception: 2 Ranks (+1)

Streetwise: 1 Rank + 1 Racial

Click to reveal.. (Spells)
Captivating Performance

-----------------------

You sing or play a song, and capture the attention of your audience. Targeted listeners who fail their saves take a minor penalty to their Perception checks as long as you continue performing. This spell can be used for benevolent or malevolent purposes; kind-hearted songsmiths use the spell to distract their listeners from dreary surroundings, while malicious songsmiths use it to distract their marks from the actions of other party members. This spell has no effect in combat.

Battlesong

----------

Your music inspires your comrades to feats of bravery and strength. As long as you continue performing, they receive small bonuses to their attack rolls and saves.

Inspiring Tale

--------------

As a companion tries to complete a single task, you relate a story either from history or your own experience when another hero faced a similar problem and succeeded. If you roll high enough, your comrade receives a bonus to his or her roll. This spell has no effect in combat.

Discordant Chant

----------------

After watching one of your opponents, you break out into a distracting chant, specifically tailored to your enemy's actions and movements, so that he or she is disoriented and finds it difficult to concentrate. If the target fails his or her save, he or she takes a penalty to attack rolls, saves, and skill checks. A new roll must be made each round, allowing the target to regain composure.

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)
4 gold pieces

19 crossbow bolts

4 day's rations (+3 from Doburn, ate 1)

2 torches

cittern (with case)

hand crossbow

sabre

spare cittern strings

spare crossbow strings

spare clothes

needle & thread

flint & steel

soap

waterskin

bedroll

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eva Roe: The Sequel.

Click to reveal.. (Eva Roe, Level II)
Name: Eva Roe

Sex/Race: Female Elf

Alignment: Emphatic Empathic

ATTRIBUTES

Strength - 1

Dexterity - 2

Intelligence - 8

Health - 10/10 (+2)

Stamina - 10/10

Speed - 5

SKILLS

Magic (Evocation): 4

Magic (Conjuration): 4 (+1)

Magic (Abjuration): 4 (+2)

Religion: 2 (+1)

Composure: 1

Streetwise: 1

TRAITS

Weak (Weakness) - Eva lacks in physical power. She has heightened difficulty in any task that requires physical strength (this applies even if strength is increased at a later date).

INVENTORY

2 Gold 25 Silvers 0 Coppers (4.50 Gold), Traveling Clothes, Spellbook, Journal, Pen & Ink, Hardtack, Water Flasks (1/2)

SUMMON

Patches the Criticalico - A positively adorable male calico cat, summoned by Eva on a critical success. Currently obeys her commands, and has demonstrated tracking skills. Likes being petted.

Spells to come later... Eva's going to be getting some new ones what with her Abjuration getting a major boost.

I look forward to seeing more Abjuration spells. Maybe there'll be something I should adopt?

I like the party's level-up development. They really seem to be cultivating a broad skill base (not that that matters if the dice are out to help the goblins, but it's the thought that counts). smile

And yay Patches!

Level Up

Click to reveal..
Gramzon the Firebreather (Level 2)

Alignment: Loyal (Lawful Good)

Race: Dragonborn (Male)

Religion: Sliros

Strength: 6

Dexterity: 5

Intelligence: 2

Max Health: 16/20 HP

Stamina: 7/10

Martial (Pole-arm): 4

Crafting (Metalworking): 2

Artifice: 2

Nature: 2

Religion: 1

First Aid: 1

Composure: 1

Inventory

Click to reveal..
1 Iron Spear (made by Gramzon)

Belt (worn, holds tools)

Leather chest armor (worn)

Leather vambraces (worn)

Leather bracers (worn)

Leather gloves (worn)

Keffiyeh (worn on the neck)

Set of clothes (worn)

Spare change of clothes

Blacksmith tools (hammer, tongs, gloves)

Bedroll

4 days rations

1 length of rope

1 small knife

1 water skin

Fist aid bandages

Set of cook wear.

Really sturdy boots

1 Backback

Coin purse (4 gold and 7 silver)

Custom made metal chest armor (on order with Turve)

The next session is Friday, June 25 at the usual time.

Originally Posted By: Zotlqec, Royal Historian at Eolith
The lost blade of Phol-Phoram? Well, leaving aside the question of just why a fire-breathing goddess would need a blade, as well as that of how you expect to wield one that is proportionate to her divine size, I still cannot help but wonder this: how do you expect me, however great a historian I may be, to keep track of that which the goddess herself seems to have lost?

At last, the log is here. There were crabs, a captain, a snake, and goblin tracks but no goblins. Oh, and quotes!

Click to reveal.. (You cast Locate. The quotes are here.)
Xiriatl: I run toward the party at breakneck speed, waving my arms up in the air in imitation of an angry crab.

Wybren: "Well, this is a teachable moment. What have we learnt about running off on our own?"

Leitha: "As for you, bard, go write a song about it."

Eva: ""Is it just me, or does it seem everything's trying to kill us?"

Eric: "Don't fret, Gramzon. We won't use violence unless we absolutely have to. We're more likely to need to have to fend off, I dunno, giant swamp rats or something."

Gramzon: "Hold on a second, going to try something rather stupid."

http://thuryl.desperance.net/dustbowl_log2.rtf

(Thanks to Lilith for hosting this, since I'm still website-lazy.)

Don't forget, session 3 is on Friday, June 25, at 6:00PM EDT!

Session 3 is done, and I think it was our best yet! Thanks to all of the players (and one sub, Triumph) for being excellent.

No levels tonight, but Xiriatl has become the second PC to earn a perk:

Interrogation

"I am an alchemist of the Cynosural Brotherhood, sworn to seek only the truth in all things. And I am not leaving until I have found the truth."

Any character speaking to Xiriatl suffers a penalty to Composure.

Also, fill out the calendar: http://whenisgood.net/a2bnby

I wish to thank Triumph for subbing for me so much last night. I thought he did a wonderful job with Gramzon. Sorry I kept having to leave; I am helping my family run firework booths over 100 sq. mile radius so I am on call at all times for them. I can't wait for the 4th to come and go so life can go back to normal.

And that is a very nice perk. Xiriatl did a wonderful job discovering the truth last night.

Calendar fill out too.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim, Almost a full month prior to last session
Originally Posted By: Wall of Bounties, Aimus Post Office
Wanted: Sirvi-Da. This elf is a dangerous illusionist and may not resemble the attached picture. Approach with extreme caution. Wanted dead only.

Please be sure the body is really his.

I just spotted this. Wow do I feel like an idiot now. I mean, I know I couldn't have acted on it IC, but still... He gave us a warning a month ahead of time this was coming.

Devious, Sarachim. Devious. tongue

The log of session 3 is here! It will astound and amuse you!

Click to reveal.. (You've got better manners than your shipmates. Care for some quotes?)
Leitha:"How comfortable are you guys with grave robbing?"

Xiriatl: "You don't want to go in there right now, though. Uncontrollable coughing, eye irritation, possible projectile vomiting, the usual."

Gramzon: "Your lack of hospitality is quite disturbing."

Eric: "I think you'd better remember this in case you ever need to inspire anyone in lockpicking again."

Wybren: "You know, the whole 'Grah! I am a servant of Truth! Argh!' thing didn't work so good last time."

Eva: "You mean... THE Ouracasos?"

Dikiyoba, Nioca, I still need you to fill out the calendar for next time. Here it is again:

http://whenisgood.net/a2bnby

Unfortunately, Rowen will be unable to join us this evening. If anyone would like to sub for him this evening, please join the rest of the party tonight at 6:00 PM EDT. Otherwise, Rowen will have to be content with a solo adventure sometime next week. tongue

Originally Posted By: Old goblin joke
When I was ten, my brother fell into a lake.

Whew, session 4's over. Log and quotes coming tomorrow, and the website (finally) sometime this weekend. They haven't gained a level, but Leitha has earned a perk:

Elusive Assassin

Your Stealth skill gives a bonus to dodging.

Thanks for playing, everyone who could make it!

Well it's sorta hard to get an attack in when you've been viciously mauled by birds and dropped in a river. tongue

(And I think you landed a hit during the snake battle as well)

Oh, I promised a fumble count, and here it is: 7 fumbles/83 rolls (8.4% fumble rate). So it was definitely elevated, but not as bad as it seemed in-session. Then again, this doesn't account for all the rolls under 5, either.

Anyway, good session, and it felt nice to finally put all three magic schools to equal (and effective) use. The snake encounter rattled me a bit, but the others showed that having a 1-STR character was actually paying off.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Oh, I promised a fumble count, and here it is: 7 fumbles/83 rolls (8.4% fumble rate). So it was definitely elevated, but not as bad as it seemed in-session. Then again, this doesn't account for all the rolls under 5, either.

It probably seemed worse in-session because so many of the fumbles came during a single battle, and hardly any (maybe none) came in non-combat situations where they would have been harmless. I'm not going to go back and do the math, but I think the fumble rate in combat was much higher. Not that that's so strange, since smaller samples will produce more varying results, and also the dice are trying to kill you.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
It probably seemed worse in-session because so many of the fumbles came during a single battle, and hardly any (maybe none) came in non-combat situations where they would have been harmless.

I fumbled a Detect Magic at the start of the session. I fumbled the first Portent spell on the grove of trees, too.

After a little delay, the log is here!

http://thuryl.desperance.net/dustbowl_log4.rtf

Click to reveal.. ("As you wish. Don't quote anything dangerous.")
Eric: "To be honest, I don't have high hopes, so it would take something pretty extreme to fail my hopes."

Wybren: "Don't let it get away! That's tomorrow's lunch and a pair of boots!"

Xiriatl: "Well, we are made of food."

Leitha: "I never thought I'd be glad we're not running from a huge mud monster, but this thing is really asking for it."

Eva Roe: "I..." *cough* "would every..." *gag* "stop asphyxiating me?"

"Doran": "More people? Good gods, why can't you all just go away?"

Another outstanding session, Sarachim! I want to be in your next game! smile

Invisible dragons FTW!!! That line got me laughing out loud.

Also, can we get an update on what spells all the magic users have?

What is it with evil bird-creatures on Mote? Bloodmarsh, Brigandage, and now Dustbowl have all faced the fowl menace.

Originally Posted By: Triumph

I'm sure Sarachim would post an update on that, but is too afraid of the thread collapsing from Eva's list. tongue

Quote:
What is it with evil bird-creatures on Mote? Bloodmarsh, Brigandage, and now Dustbowl have all faced the fowl menace.
To be fair, the Dire Eagles were just getting food to survive, the Marthens (rainbow brigandage birds) were summons and had no choice but to obey the summoners, and the Dust Bowl Birds Of Doom may have been mind-controlled. So... in a way, it's not the birds fault. tongue

Good thing I keep a list of mine handy, just for you!

Click to reveal..
Spells:
Currently memorised: Detect Magic, Vision, Locate, Detect History, Portent, Instinct

* Detect Magic - Sense the general magical properties of an item, creature or area.
* Vision - Gives a vision of a location, allowing the caster to see and hear things as if they were present. The closer the area is and the more familiar to the caster, the longer and clearer the vision will be.
* True Sight - Allows the caster to see through invisibility, illusions and similar forms of concealment.
* Locate - Gives information on the location of a person or object. The more familiar the caster already is with the target, the more specific information can be gained.
* Detect History - By touching an object or person, or being present at a location, the caster can gain glimpses of insight into the object, person or location's past.
* Portent - Offer advice regarding a person's immediate future.
* Instinct - The caster gains a small bonus on the next few Strength and Dexterity-based rolls in exchange for a point of Stamina.
* Analyse Structure - When successfully casting this spell on an object or creature, the caster learns its material composition, its approximate internal structure, and identifies any significant flaws or weaknesses in its makeup. Magical objects and living creatures have a higher chance to resist the spell.

Another outstanding session, Sarachim! I want to be in your next game! smile

Feel free to fill out the calendar as a sub. We could have used one or two this time, though I think things turned out pretty well anyway.

Quote:

Wybren and Xiriatl haven't gained any new spells since the last time this came up, so they should all be in the thread. Wybren's prepared spell list hasn't ever changed, while Xiriatl's changes slowly enough that you can usually work out which six out of eight he has available by observation.

Eva is an entirely different story:
Click to reveal.. (Eva's spell list)
Flameburst (EVC) - Creates a small blast of flame. Has a small AoE.
Ball Lightning (EVC) - Basic attack spell. Fires ball lightning at a target.
Flashbang (EVC) - Fires a small ball of energy that, on impact, lets loose with a blinding flash and a stunning crack, blinding and deafening anyone in the vicinity.
Energize (EVC) - Energizes magical buffs, energy, or objects.
Heal (CNJ 1STM) - Heals a target's wounds.
Felis (CNJ) - Summons a cat to the caster's side. Currently ranges from a small domestic cat all the way up to an overlarge bobcat. Larger cats require stamina.
Repulsive Aura (ABJ) - Creates an aura around the recipient that instinctively repulses anyone or anything nearby.
Telekinesis (EVC) - Pushes and pulls an object with the caster's mind. Larger and/or more complex manipulations may require stamina.
Prismatic Armor (ABJ) - Creates a magic-deflecting barrier around the recipient, increasing the recipient's resistance to hostile magic. Mental attacks and spells ignore this abjuration.
Curing (CNJ) - Cures minor ills and poison. Stamina may be required for nastier ailments.
Deflective Sheen (ABJ) - Creates a Deflective Sheen on the party. The sheen will completely deflect one attack before fading away. Only lasts the one turn.
Resconjure Minor (CNJ) - Summons a small mundane object for roughly an hour. Objects can be permified for a stamina expenditure.
Ruby Armor (ABJ) - Creates a red barrier over the recipient that helps deflect hostile physical attacks. Furthermore, melee attacks made against the armor could potentially create a small puff of flame that singes the attacker.
Resiliency (ABJ) - Wards the recipient's life energy, causing them to take slightly less damage from attack and to reduce stamina damage from asphyxiation, drowning, and hostile spells. Stamina can be spent to increase the duration.

This last session, she had Flameburst, Ball Lightning, Heal, Felis, Telekinesis, Resconjure Minor, Ruby Armor, and Resiliency. 8 INT just isn't enough for some people. tongue

Quote:
Bloodmarsh, Brigandage, and now Dustbowl have all faced the fowl menace.

Dude, there's no need to make this personal.

What Lilith said. Friday the 15th is looking good right now, but I still need to hear from Dintiradan. Everybody else, assume it's Friday until I say otherwise, because that's the last good day for a while.

Originally Posted By: Zotlqec, Royal Historian at Eolith
It surprises me that their have been no large kingdoms on Mote for several centuries now. The benefits of cooperation are so great, and the true obstacles so few, that it seems like an obvious counter to the growing darkness of our time. Unfortunately, the few who attempt to put this idea into practice invariably resort to conquest, and only make the darkness deepen.

Gah, I just remembered that Dinti said last time that he'll be away this week. I have no idea if he'll be back by tomorrow.

On the bright side, my schedule is a little clearer than I thought, so I've added two new days to the calendar- Tuesday the 12th and Wednesday the 13th. Please fill out the new version:

http://whenisgood.net/rtymyq