Dust Bowl: Yet Another AIMHack Campaign

Sarachim

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still on. I've just been far busier than I've expected this week, so I'm still working on the campaign but this hasn't produced any visible results in a while. The good news is that I'm going to have plenty of time to catch up in the last week and a half of May, so I'm still planning to have our first session in the first week of June.

Also, I'm still waiting on one backstory. You know who you are!

Originally Posted By: Firdi, Master Transmutationist
It took me a lot of time to master the art of self-teleportation, but I have long since gained it all back.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Man, I wish I had thought of a practice session. Would have made things easier.

Then again, the only one who really needed practice was me, so it may have been moot in any case. Still, a practice session or unofficial test run sounds intriguing.

The one who needs a practice session is me, to test how the system works, but I don't want to schedule one. Should I buckle down and have one anyways?

Rowen's character, Gramzon, has been doing some shopping via PM. It's been a helpful exercise for both of us, so if anyone else wants to do the same thing before the first session they've got the chance. This could also be helpful if you want to shop in Riole sometime after the first session begins. Here's an excerpt, to give you the idea and hopefully save me from typing this stuff twice.

Click to reveal..
Originally Posted By: Rowen
changes of clothes. Also something to wear on the head to keep the dust from blowing into my eyes, ears, nose, mouth (Like what Lawrence of Arabia wears). Rope, a small knife, cooking wear, water skin, really sturdy boots, first aid bandages.

If there are any shops in Riole that offer wears that are unique I would like to hear about them even if I can't buy anything from them at the moment.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
That all sounds reasonable. Is 5 gold a good price for all that? I'm not used to the currency system yet, since it hasn't come up at all in Selos.

Riole doesn't have much in the way of exotic wares. There's a bookstore that people don't pay much attention to, which could have something exotic in it if you went looking. Turve the blacksmith has a few antique or custom-built weapons of exceptional quality, but he keeps them as heirlooms so you'd have a hard time persuading him to sell one. Ships visit Riole occasionally, and sometimes carry exotic goods.

Yeah, I can part with all of that for 5 gold.

Would Gramzon or his family have any kind of relation (friendly or competition) with Turve the blacksmith?

I think that falls under backstory, which makes it your problem. tongue

EDIT: I should add that Riole's population is fairly stable (not many people move in or out) but also decently large, so with time you might know everyone's face but probably not everyone's name. So you wouldn't necessarily have any particular history with Turve or anyone else, though you can if you want.

Also, don't try "he loves me unconditionally and will give me free stuff." That will not work. tongue

Sound reasonable to me. Lets say that they have heard of each other but nothing more then that until now.

Also, Gramzon is interested in buying some armor for his whole body. Properly hardened leather for the legs and arms and metal for the chest. Are there any shops that might be able to outfit him in Riole?

There are a few tanners in and around Riole who could sell you leather body armor and accessories. Riole isn't the best place to go for price or quality, but hey, it's where you are.

Metal armor is trickier. It exists, but demand for it is so low that Turve only makes it on request, and other, lesser blacksmiths basically never do at all. If we're imagining this shopping taking place the afternoon after you get the mayor's summons, then you don't have time to place a custom order and have it done by morning after all the shopping you've already done. tongue

Of course, other ways of getting armor exist. You might persuade the mayor to give you a suit, or find someone else who already has one. If you ever have time to kill and a big piece of iron, you might even try making some for yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm still alive! Sorry about the inaction, the not-busy week I was expecting turned out to be, well, busy. Even so, I'm ready to begin soon.

First, here's the calendar for our first session:

http://whenisgood.net/gnjcmq

Next, the six backstories that we have so far:

Gramzon is not just a fighter, but also a blacksmith:

Click to reveal..
“Ah yes, my brother, Gramzon. Gramon the Firebreather. How different he was compared to the rest of us. He so easily overcame the challenges that Rioles presented our family. I’ve always admired my older brood kin for how true and ambitious he was in all of his dealings. It’s no surprise that he was called on by Kirla at day. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

“Gramzon hatched several years before I did. He was the second generation of our line that grew up in Rioles. Our Elder father raised our father here after he fled from Kimkaf and the evils that transpired in that city and its island.

“Our Elder father brought with him his skill of the anvil and forge. He was able to establish a place in Rioles for himself and his brood due to his blacksmithing skills. Those same skills he taught to our father who in turned taught them to Gramzon and later myself.

“Gramzon was never spectacular at the skills father taught him but only because he never devoted himself nor the time to become a master as I have. He did work with father at his forge in the heart of the city and it was as he worked that he met Cruzore who he later took as a mate.

“Cruzore and he moved away to another part of town and lived there in peace for less then a year. She took ill late that summer and soon passed on. Gramzon was torn with grief. It was so great that he burnt down our fathers forge one day in a fit of rage after speaking with our father. It was that act that got him the name The Firebreather.

“Later that week he brought all of his blacksmithing tools to me and left them in my care saying that he was leaving to travel alone to conquer his emotions before he lashed out again.

“I did not see him again till he returned over three years later carrying a spear and with a broken look in his eyes. After returning he spoke little of where he had traveled or what had transpired on his journey. But he did return different then he had left. He regularly visited the temple of Sliros and would wander out to the farmlands surrounding Rioles. Two weeks after having returned he left once more only to join the human Franzal and worked for him on his farm.”

“Gramzon seemed to have found peace and in the farmlands was able to keep himself occupied. I returned to him his tools and also gave him a small anvil and forge as a gift. That act cost me much of my business as the farmers now go to him for all their blacksmithing goods that he performs for little or no charge. But it is well that he serves them, I am able to make what I need here in Rioles.

“Two years after he had settled into a life of farming and blacksmithing the dust came. So thick that it blotted out all light. Gramzon came to me seeking refuge along with Franzal and his family and I provided them a place to stay. I still cannot forget the dark dusty day he knocked at my door, backpack over his right shoulder, spear in the left, and the humans cowering behind him from the sands. The fire that burned in him when Cruzore lived had returned to his eyes. I think he knew Kirla was going to call on him a few weeks later to serve Riole.

“That was the last time I saw him with my own eyes. Everything else that he and the party he joined did I have heard only from others. I just wish that I could see him again today”

Wybren, the bard, has the worst internship ever:

Click to reveal..
Some adventurers are destined for greatness. Their births were prophesied, or

their superhuman strength or magical ability separated them from others even in

childhood. Other adventurers have greatness thrust upon them -- there are

countless stories about brave farmers who saved a nation.

But for everyone else, there is a lengthy internship involved.

Wybren Niemantsverdriet's father was a half-human adventurer of limited success.

After a number of dangerous and barely profitable years, he married and settled

down on the tiny island of Ussen. Young Wybren grew up listening to his father`s

escapades as his bedtime stories. His idyllic childhood was brought short when

his father fell defending the isle against a band of reavers. As his mother was

unable to make enough to feed all his siblings, Wybren needed to find work. He

was far too young to be accepted into the island militia in his father's stead,

but a party of adventurers passing through his town were less concerned about

his age. Thus began Wybren's long and varied years as a hireling. While his

companions would travel the countryside and kill the less desirable

inhabitants, Wybren would cook the suppers, sharpen the weapons, and feed the

horses. Not glamorous work, to be sure, but it paid much more that he could

have made as a shepherd or stable-hand.

Over the years, he became more and more experienced, and Wybren began to take a

more active role in the bands he worked with. One such party had a

self-proclaimed "songsmith" as a member. She took the henchman in as an

apprentice for a little over a year, by far the longest Wybren had ever worked

with a single party. The young elf was initially underwhelmed by the lacewing's

abilities, finding the conventional arcane arts to be more impressive. But his

mentor soon made him realize that the subtle magic behind music worked directly

with the listener's soul, rather than interacting with the environment in flashy

displays, and could be just as powerful. Wybren is by no means a master at the

craft, but his skills as a musician and musical enchanter are growing as time

goes on.

Wybren's greatest attribute is his luck. While only in his mid twenties, he has

been a member of numerous adventuring parties for over a decade without loss of

life or limb -- an incredible feat. Of course, he spent most of his career as a

hireling, but still Wybren has seen quite a lot in his few years, and is always

willing to share stories about his travels. Most of these tales end with the

grisly death of one or more of his companions, however.

Wybren's luck nearly ran out several months ago. The party he was with was

caught in a cave collapse. Most members died, the rest were severely wounded,

and their gear was either lost or damaged beyond repair. The elf suffered broken

ribs and a badly fractured leg, and what savings he had left went towards

healing him and his surviving companions. By the time he had finally

recuperated, the dust storms were already sweeping over Riole and he was

stranded. So far, he's been able to pay for food and lodging by performing in

the town's inns and taverns, but wanderlust is driving the bard insane with

impatience.

Other than his abilities as a minstrel and the various skills he's picked up as

a henchman, Wybren is quite personable. He's often acted as a mediator between

his sociopathic employers and the more civilized folk who've needed to hire them

for quests. He's not a horrible shot with the crossbow, but prefers to leave

combat for the other "real" adventurers. Over the years, he's developed a very

professional attitude towards his work. He prides himself on remaining polite

and courteous whenever possible. At the same time, he avoids forming close bonds

with his companions, knowing how short the average lifetime of an adventurer is.

Eva the wandering healer is an enigma:

Click to reveal..
Eva stared out (or more accurately, at) a dusty window, contemplating what decisions led her to this. Stuck here, covered in dust at practically at the end of her rope. In front of her was a book, one that held her entire reason for being here. She'd read it front-to-back repeatedly for the past hour, trying to make some sense of why she was here...

Xiriatl the alchemist is down on his luck:

Click to reveal..

Formerly the owner of a modestly successful potion shop in Riole, Xiriatl was forced into a career change after a would-be burglar triggered a booby trap and burned down his store. After salvaging what little equipment and notes he could from the ruins of his home, he attempted to find work making poisons for the thieves' guild. He soon found that if the city had a thieves' guild at all, it was not eager to make itself known to random homeless lacewings.

With few other options open to him, Xiriatl turned to adventuring. While his physical frailty and the relative lack of work for adventurers in the area have posed some difficulties for him, he sees these challenges as opportunities for self-improvement. He aims to gain wealth, knowledge and power so that he can return to his studies as an alchemist free from material concerns.

Dyen the perfectly legitimate businessman is strangely familiar:

Click to reveal..

Dyen Dawes is not a criminal.

He has never stolen, never killed, never raised a hand against another human being.

He has cheated and lied and twisted the hearts and minds of men to his own whims.

He is a sinner with the aspect of a saint. A shameless, consummate liar that never fails to produce a word that can strike at the very center of curiosity and drag coin after coin, kicking and screaming, from the purses of his victims.

With the turn of a tale and the spin of a story (Aided, of course, by a prop or two), he could take the earnings from a hard day's work from the most suspicious of men. Pry from unwilling fingers a family heirloom, or a signature on any loan. No man could stand to turn him down after the words began to flow. He could coax a newborn from its mother's teat, or a fly away from a rotted carcass.

Well, that's what he would say, anyways.

He's a slightly tall, skinny, and with old pox scars on his cheeks and hands. He can't afford anything else really distinctive, but usually has a ratty old wide-brimmed hat somewhere on his person.

He makes a living selling fake jewelry, bad loans, and pulling scams and confidence schemes on the naive and trusting of society. Due to the tendency of his business to leave behind an angry mob clamoring for his head, he's well-traveled.

He hooked up with this adventuring party as, no surprise, part of a con, latching onto passerby at a moment of opportunity. Since then, he's followed them around because a con man could always use a partner, however unwilling.

Since then, he's found that his skills in lying, cheating, and persuasion have uses far beyond that of a simple con.

He hates dust.

It was tough to pick the best backstory, but the winner is Eric, who is very, very lost:

Click to reveal..
Portals. Mote is lousy with them. Most inhabitants of Mote know not to go near them unless they are feeling up to a dangerous adventure in who knows where.

Unfortunately, portals occasionally appear in other worlds as well, and those inhabitants don't always understand the need to be cautious.

Meet Eric. At first, he seems like a mercenary or vagabond. His armor is rusty, his boots are worn, and his clothes are patched. Then you notice that he makes an effort to keep everything clean and in good condition. Not many mercenaries or vagabonds are so conscientious. After that, you notice his weapon.

Most inhabitants of Mote know that if they do decide to step through a portal and it takes them to a dusty storeroom full of ornate weapons, they should be very careful about what they touch. The weapons may be trapped or, worse, enchanted. Above all, they should never touch the halberd hanging on the wall with a sign next to it that reads, "Halberd of Vorves, High Priestess of Sliros from 1145 to 1208. DO NOT TOUCH!"

Alas, inhabitants from other worlds don't always understand this common sense rule.

It's an iron halberd that looks like it's seen better days but it is still quite effective in combat. It isn't enchanted, but it does have several words etched into the blade. The script is archaic and so the only word most people can read is the name Sliros.

Most inhabitants of Mote know that if they spot a mysterious figure with scale armor and a scythe quietly assessing them that they should respond either by running away or by falling to their knees. They know enough not to respond with a bewildered look and the words, "Who the hell are you?"

Thankfully, Sliros approved of what he saw in Eric, because he simply nodded and disappeared.

At this point, it's obvious Eric is a traveling disciple of Sliros. Depending on who you are, you might be pleased to see him. Or you might not be happy at all. If you've traveled around a lot, this reaction will be replaced by bewilderment once you see his face clearly. There's something odd about his facial features. Sure, he's definitely all human, but which island is he from?

Most inhabitants of Mote would be thoroughly shocked to discover a strange human in stranger clothes in their storeroom with an important weapon held clumsily in his hands. But not Lars the dwarf, a retired adventurer turned curator. He's seen many strange things over the years, and though some of them are dangerous, this human is clearly not. Though with a few years of training by an experienced adventurer might change all that.

Luckily, Eric is a fast learner.

Eric never answers. As far as he's concerned, his religious conviction is all you need to know. Once in a while he will retell one of Lars' stories, but he never mentions anything about his own past. He says it's because he's much more interested in what the future might bring.

Most inhabitants of Mote wonder whether the gods they worship really do exist. Eric is one of the few people who know for sure. He promptly dedicates his life to upholding and spreading Sliro's ways.

Honestly, the "No humans allowed" signs up all over town probably have a lot to do with his fervor.

But if you are very observant, you might notice him pulling out a funny-looking broken watch he keeps in his pack. It's his last reminder of home.

Most inhabitants of Mote never step through portals and so never know what it's like to be trapped far, far away from everything and everyone you've ever known. Eric wants to find a way back, but that requires the help of a powerful sage and they aren't easy to find. So he travels from one island to another, searching for anyone who know about portals.

Sadly, his search is hampered by the fact that people desperately need his help wherever he goes.

For his divinely-sanctioned lack of natural caution, Eric has earned the following perk:

Sliros' Blessing

Once per day, you can call on Sliros for help on a skill check. When you do, your Religion skill is used instead of the usual skill. This may fail if you are attempting an action that Sliros disapproves of.

Nikki, you still owe me one. tongue

In case you missed it above, please fill out the calendar:

http://whenisgood.net/gnjcmq

Originally Posted By: Zotlqec, Royal Historian at Eolith
I am convinced that our forebears' knowledge of magic far surpassed our own. The accounts of this are too consistent across time and place to be mere myths. My colleagues at the Academy devote themselves to recovering this lost knowledge. They leave me the task of ensuring that we do not lose any more.

what you actually do with the character during the RP is more important than having pages of backstory that most people will just skim through anyway. besides, keeping things basic lets you fill in the details later as you get a feel for the character

i'm not just saying that because i have the second-shortest backstory after you, i swear

I filled out the calendar with the dates and time that I know I can be there right now. I have a lot of traveling coming up this month so I hope to update the calendar later as actually know what is happening in my life. My wife has planed these trips and that means that she never tells me what we are doing until the day before we leave.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
what you actually do with the character during the RP is more important than having pages of backstory that most people will just skim through anyway. besides, keeping things basic lets you fill in the details later as you get a feel for the character

Very, very true. I can't wait to watch a session of this!

Everyone but Dinti has filled in the calendar, and we have several excellent times that work for everybody. Fingers crossed!
My first response was, "Crap! Did Sarachim post a schedule a few weeks ago and I missed it all this time?" Then I realized the flurry of posts made today.

I've filled it in. Thanks to unemployment, I'm pretty open right now. Um, yay? Basically, any day other than Sundays and Mondays work for me, and the 18th might be busy for me as well; don't know yet.

EDIT: Actually, Mondays could work for me as well, as long as sessions end before ~6:00 PM MDT. Not preferred, though.

Dust Bowl's first session will be Friday, June 4, at 6:00PM EDT (GMT-4)

Also, the following Friday is equally good, so the second session will probably happen then, assuming the first doesn't end in a TPK. tongue

Originally Posted By: Wall of Bounties, Aimus Post Office
Wanted: Sirvi-Da. This elf is a dangerous illusionist and may not resemble the attached picture. Approach with extreme caution. Wanted dead only.

Please be sure the body is really his.

Friday, June 4. Thanks, Triumph.

EDIT: In other news, we have our last backstory: Leitha, the shankstress, whose life story is as sad as her job description implies.

Click to reveal..
Leitha carefully wiped the blood from her blade and sheathed it. After hastily packing the few valuable possessions she could see, she crept to the door and looked out. The night was cold and clear. Nobody was about. She opened the door wider and cast a final look back at the prone figure which lay on the floor before silently slipping outside.

24 years ago, as the sun rose from the sky, the early morning birdsong was broken by the first cry of a newborn. The mother held the child, her first, to her breast and stared down at her transfixed. The father beamed, tears silently streaming down his face. The baby mewled and cried until she fell asleep in her mother’s arms. Neither mother nor child moved until the sun slipped under the horizon that night.

Morning came. Leitha sat on the straw bedding she slept on, sorting through her pack to find the spoils of last night: an ornamental knife, a picture frame, several silver coins and a looking glass. They would keep her in food for a while, certainly long enough until she got to her next destination – her time in this town was done.

16 years ago the child was 8 years old. Her father had given her a piece of wood he’d fashioned into a simple wooden sword, like the kind the heroes used in the stories he’d tell her before bed. The child held it carefully at arm’s length, inspecting it, appraising it. Finally, she grinned, and swung it around a little. “I’m going to get you Daddy!” she shrieked, and made to strike him. Her father grinned and caught her in his arms, tickling her ‘til she laughed. “You’d never kill your poor old Daddy, would you?” he asked. She shook her head and smiled, before running off to show her friends her newest toy.

Leitha collected the money for the items – in a town like this there were always people on the lookout for bargains, people who asked no questions. She began the journey to the main gates. How many times had she walked down these streets, passed squalid inns and wandered down cramped and dirty alleys? It wasn’t her home, never had been, but her home had vanished 10 years ago. The house was still there, her friends and school too, probably. It was the life that had lain before her and her parents, however, that had died.

10 years ago, the child was 14. She no longer had the wooden sword her father gave her 6 years ago. Out of breath, because she had run all the way home, she stood by her front door, waiting for her mother to come and tell her she can enter. One of the Lawbringers had told her that there had been an accident involving her father, and she had sprinted as fast as she could to get there. Suddenly, the door opened, and her mother walked out of the house. Her eyes looked empty and full of loss to the young girl, who ran to her mother and held her tightly. Her father was still alive, but wounded enough to be unable to work, unable to walk properly, unable to support his family. The next week, the family had moved out of their home, moved away from Riole, and into the slums of a town on the far side of the island.

6 years ago, the child, now a young woman, stole out from her family home in the dead of night. Tears stained her face, and she looked around. The night was cold, quiet. She dropped the bloodied knife into the street and ran. Her father lay dead on the floor inside, his throat slit, his hands frozen as if he were still trying to choke her. The house stank of the cheap ale he drowned himself in night-and-day. Her mother would find him like this in the morning when she returned from the whorehouse she had taken to working in when they moved out here. By then, the young woman, Leitha, would be long gone.

The gates were now a couple of miles behind Leitha. She had spent the last 4 years moving from town to town, surviving by stealing in order to get by. It wasn’t an honourable life, but it was better than what she had after leaving Riole, and she had an uncanny knack for avoiding getting caught. She was always on the lookout for an easy mark, somebody flashing their cash or wearing expensive jewellery, and she always got what she set out to get.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Friday, huh? Well, I'll miss the first session, then, but I will look forward to a log. You know, a TPK in the first session WOULD be pretty amazing. wink

I don't think there's ever even been a fatality in AIMhack, much less a TPK. Clearly our DM's aren't trying hard enough to kill us!

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Dantius
I don't think there's ever even been a fatality in AIMhack...

Exactly! That's a why a first-session TPK would be so cool! smile

Cool for you, a connoisseur of human failure who isn't actually in this campaign, sure. But I've got all manner of awesome stuff planned for later, and a zombie party wouldn't be able to appreciate most of it.

a connoisseur of human failure

Hahaha. I've never been called that before. It's an amusing idea. smile

a zombie party wouldn't be able to appreciate most of it.

But if you ended up with a zombie party, you could have an amazing cameo/guest appearance by Alexander to inflict a second TPK!!! tongue Really, the only thing more crazy than a TPK would be a single campaign with TWO TPK's! wink

On the other hand, your idea of doing all sorts of cool stuff with an actually living party might also be fun. wink

Since Thuryl's character is an alchemist, Thuryl made up some alchemy stuff that the rest of you might find interesting:

Click to reveal..
Alchemy:

Alchemical reagents are divided into four classes based on the elements. Within each class, some reagents may be more powerful than others.

Earth reagents embody principles of stability and protection. A great mountain range filled with mineral wealth may bring prosperity to an entire civilisation, while even the humblest rock may serve as shelter for worms and insects. Earth reagents include crystalline minerals and animal bones.

Fire reagents embody principles of destruction and change. Fire by its nature is short-lived, but for the time it exists its effects can be immense. Its power is not purely destructive: carefully controlled fire can purge impurities, or convert a substance from one form to another. Fire reagents include caustic chemicals and animals' natural weapons, such as claws, teeth and venom glands.

Air reagents embody principles of motion and creativity. Gusts of wind come and go capriciously, and may either fill a ship's sails or blow down a house, but the air which gives birth to them is a constant life-giving presence. Air reagents include meteorites and animals' sensory organs.

Water reagents embody principles of restoration and persistence. A river may dry up, but when the rains come it will resume flowing along its old course, and its steady work will gradually erode any obstacles in its path. Water reagents include fossils and animals' vital organs.

Primary potions (one reagent, requires 1 point in Crafting (Alchemy)):

Stamina Potion. Requires Earth reagents only. This drink relieves minor aches and pains and banishes exhaustion, restoring some of the drinker's Stamina.

Alchemical Fire. Requires Fire reagents only. This sticky liquid bursts into flame on contact with air, causing fire damage to anything it splashes on.

Stimulant. Requires Air reagents only. A tonic that temporarily increases the drinker's physical and mental agility, giving increased Speed and a bonus on the next few rolls, although at the cost of reduced Stamina once its effects wear off.

Healing Salve. Requires Water reagents only. A balm that can be used to treat wounds, recovering lost hit points.

Secondary potions (two reagents, requires 3 points in Crafting (Alchemy)):

Contact Poison. Requires Earth and Fire reagents. A toxic liquid that can be absorbed through an open wound or less efficiently through unbroken skin, causing gradual loss of Hit Points and Stamina and a penalty to all statistics.

Featherfall Brew. Requires Earth and Air reagents. A mysterious fluid that lightens the drinker's body, allowing them to glide down gently from great heights without injury.

Protective Oil. Requires Earth and Water reagents. A soothing oil that protects the user's skin from extreme conditions such as heat, cold and acids.

Toxic Gas. Requires Fire and Air reagents. This unstable mixture rapidly becomes a noxious gas on exposure to air, causing eye irritation and violent coughing. While it does not usually cause serious damage, its effects can be highly incapacitating in the short term.

Purgative. Requires Fire and Water reagents. A potent brew that purges the body of poisons and diseases, although it may have unpleasant side effects, causing a loss of Stamina points.

Sleeping Draught. Requires Air and Water reagents. A potion that quickly brings restful sleep to anyone who drinks it. While the drinker experiences the restorative effects of a full night's sleep in only a few hours, nothing short of violent shaking is likely to awaken them before that time.

Tertiary potions (three reagents, requires 5 points in Crafting (Alchemy)):

Explosive. Requires Earth, Fire and Air reagents. A thick greasy paste that explodes when struck violently, producing little heat but immense concussive force.

Freezing Salts. Requires Earth, Fire and Water reagents. A fine crystalline dust that rapidly cools on contact with liquid. A dose can freeze the surface of a body of water or inflict cold damage if scattered over a living target.

Potion of Clarity. Requires Earth, Air and Water reagents. A drink that enhances mental faculties, giving a temporary bonus to Intelligence and reducing the drinker's susceptibility to illusions and enchantments.

Acid. Requires Fire, Air and Water reagents. A dangerous liquid that can corrode flesh, metal and stone.

Collecting reagents and brewing potions both require rolls. Also, other potion recipes are possible, including epic potions that require more skill and maybe special ingredients. Like with epic spells, learning an epic recipe requires that you find a book or teacher to learn it from.

Thanks for reposting that list for me; the file I had it in is on my old computer and I was too lazy to copy it over to this one.

As Sarachim says, that potion list isn't meant to be exhaustive, just a jumping-off point that gives alchemists a decent amount of versatility. The aim was to make sure that an alchemist can't beat a specialist mage in his own area of expertise, but can play a useful supporting role both offensively and defensively. The list represents the kind of alchemy that Xiriatl has studied; there may well be other schools of alchemy out there, and Xiriatl himself may expand his repertoire as his skills increase.

oh and i'm totes gonna think up even more cool new divination spells over the next couple of days, so stay tuned

Originally Posted By: Sarachim, but really Thuryl

Click to reveal..
Alchemy:

Alchemical reagents are divided into four classes based on the elements. Within each class, some reagents may be more powerful than others.

Earth reagents embody principles of stability and protection. A great mountain range filled with mineral wealth may bring prosperity to an entire civilisation, while even the humblest rock may serve as shelter for worms and insects. Earth reagents include crystalline minerals and animal bones.

Fire reagents embody principles of destruction and change. Fire by its nature is short-lived, but for the time it exists its effects can be immense. Its power is not purely destructive: carefully controlled fire can purge impurities, or convert a substance from one form to another. Fire reagents include caustic chemicals and animals' natural weapons, such as claws, teeth and venom glands.

Air reagents embody principles of motion and creativity. Gusts of wind come and go capriciously, and may either fill a ship's sails or blow down a house, but the air which gives birth to them is a constant life-giving presence. Air reagents include meteorites and animals' sensory organs.

Water reagents embody principles of restoration and persistence. A river may dry up, but when the rains come it will resume flowing along its old course, and its steady work will gradually erode any obstacles in its path. Water reagents include fossils and animals' vital organs.

Primary potions (one reagent, requires 1 point in Crafting (Alchemy)):

Stamina Potion. Requires Earth reagents only. This drink relieves minor aches and pains and banishes exhaustion, restoring some of the drinker's Stamina.

Alchemical Fire. Requires Fire reagents only. This sticky liquid bursts into flame on contact with air, causing fire damage to anything it splashes on.

Stimulant. Requires Air reagents only. A tonic that temporarily increases the drinker's physical and mental agility, giving increased Speed and a bonus on the next few rolls, although at the cost of reduced Stamina once its effects wear off.

Healing Salve. Requires Water reagents only. A balm that can be used to treat wounds, recovering lost hit points.

Secondary potions (two reagents, requires 3 points in Crafting (Alchemy)):

Contact Poison. Requires Earth and Fire reagents. A toxic liquid that can be absorbed through an open wound or less efficiently through unbroken skin, causing gradual loss of Hit Points and Stamina and a penalty to all statistics.

Featherfall Brew. Requires Earth and Air reagents. A mysterious fluid that lightens the drinker's body, allowing them to glide down gently from great heights without injury.

Protective Oil. Requires Earth and Water reagents. A soothing oil that protects the user's skin from extreme conditions such as heat, cold and acids.

Toxic Gas. Requires Fire and Air reagents. This unstable mixture rapidly becomes a noxious gas on exposure to air, causing eye irritation and violent coughing. While it does not usually cause serious damage, its effects can be highly incapacitating in the short term.

Purgative. Requires Fire and Water reagents. A potent brew that purges the body of poisons and diseases, although it may have unpleasant side effects, causing a loss of Stamina points.

Sleeping Draught. Requires Air and Water reagents. A potion that quickly brings restful sleep to anyone who drinks it. While the drinker experiences the restorative effects of a full night's sleep in only a few hours, nothing short of violent shaking is likely to awaken them before that time.

Tertiary potions (three reagents, requires 5 points in Crafting (Alchemy)):

Explosive. Requires Earth, Fire and Air reagents. A thick greasy paste that explodes when struck violently, producing little heat but immense concussive force.

Freezing Salts. Requires Earth, Fire and Water reagents. A fine crystalline dust that rapidly cools on contact with liquid. A dose can freeze the surface of a body of water or inflict cold damage if scattered over a living target.

Potion of Clarity. Requires Earth, Air and Water reagents. A drink that enhances mental faculties, giving a temporary bonus to Intelligence and reducing the drinker's susceptibility to illusions and enchantments.

Acid. Requires Fire, Air and Water reagents. A dangerous liquid that can corrode flesh, metal and stone.

Impressive. Most impressive. I like this better than Nioca's list, though that floored me, too.

I'm guessing that epic brews are classified at the discretion of the DM, or do you have a list of those, too?

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I'm guessing that epic brews are classified at the discretion of the DM, or do you have a list of those, too?

probbo the former at this stage, we don't want the list to be entirely closed-ended

if a PC wanted to research a potion for a specific purpose they should probably talk to their DM and make arrangements to fit in a subquest or possibly a small solo quest