Dust Bowl: Yet Another AIMHack Campaign

Sarachim

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Sarachim

Also, a little belated housekeeping. Eva has a new perk!

Bookworm
Eva starts flipping through her spellbook, only to notice it's still dark out.
Constant study has made you an expert on all things magical. You gain three additional spell slots.

Argh! Don't encourage him! tongue

Wooo, session's over. Victory!

Click to reveal..
Name: Xiriatl of the Cynosural Brotherhood

Race: Lacewing

Alignment: Obsessive

Level: 4

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 7

HP: 14/20

Stamina: 1/10

Speed: 5

Crafting (Alchemy): 5

Martial (Sling): 7

Magic (Divination): 5

Thievery: 2

History: 1

Religion (Tanann): 1

Click to reveal..
Gramzon the Firebreather (Level 4)

Alignment: Loyal (Lawful Good)
Race: Dragonborn (Male)
Religion: Sliros

Strength: 8
Dexterity: 5
Intelligence: 2
Max Health: 52/52 HP
Stamina: 6/10

Martial (Pole-arm): 4
Crafting (Metalworking): 2
Artifice: 2
Nature: 4
Religion: 2
First Aid: 2
Composure: 1

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Originally Posted By: Nioca
Oh, I promised a fumble count, and here it is: 7 fumbles/83 rolls (8.4% fumble rate). So it was definitely elevated, but not as bad as it seemed in-session. Then again, this doesn't account for all the rolls under 5, either.

It probably seemed worse in-session because so many of the fumbles came during a single battle, and hardly any (maybe none) came in non-combat situations where they would have been harmless. I'm not going to go back and do the math, but I think the fumble rate in combat was much higher. Not that that's so strange, since smaller samples will produce more varying results, and also the dice are trying to kill you.

Is it just me, or is everything on mote always trying to kill you? Also, first post! And get a the log up already or you dont get a cookie.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
The log for the previous session is up. The log for this session will be a while.

Yeah, I can attest to the fact that editing logs are no fun. Especially combat sessions with lots of grids. I've had to deal with two separate fifty page logs. It took me about three hours apiece. No fun at all.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Is it just me, or is everything on mote always trying to kill you? Also, first post! And get a the log up already or you dont get a cookie.

Thanks for your interest! The log should be up sometime in the next couple of days, unless I get lazy. Either way, I will have a cookie by then.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something before. Since you're in the middle of an army camp, the four PCs currently with the party could try to trade for stuff if they want. We'll do that via PM before the next session.

Eva's getting muscles!

Okay, not really. But she's getting some nice juicy HPs to help protect her from hostile fire. Plus some Evoc so she can put out some nasty fire of her own.

Click to reveal.. (Eva Roe, Level IV)
Name: Eva Roe

Sex/Race: Female Elf

Alignment: Empathic Homesick

ATTRIBUTES

Strength - 2 (+1)

Dexterity - 2

Intelligence - 9

Health - 12/16 (+4)

Stamina - 4/10

Speed - 5

SKILLS

Magic (Evocation): 7 (+2)

Magic (Conjuration): 5

Magic (Abjuration): 4

Streetwise: 1

TRAITS

Weak (Weakness) - Eva lacks in physical power. She has heightened difficulty in any task that requires physical strength; For any strength check or skill check that uses strength, her Strength is treated as if it were at 1, regardless of her actual strength statistic.

Bookworm (Perk) - Constant study has made Eva an expert on all things magical. Eva gains three additional spell slots.

INVENTORY

2 Gold 25 Silvers 0 Coppers (4.50 Gold), Traveling Clothes, Spellbook, Journal, Pen & Ink, Hardtack, Water Flasks (2/2), Vibrant Red Cloak

SUMMON

Patches the Criticalico - A positively adorable male calico cat, summoned by Eva on a critical success. Currently obeys her commands, and has demonstrated tracking skills. Likes being petted.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Hey, Sarachim, do you have an idea for when the next session will be? I may need to miss the next session or two.

Also, stop being lazy and post the newest log. Dikiyoba is impatient.

Hmm. I was hoping to have you and Dinti in a side-session next week, then do the main session toward the end of said week. I guess it wouldn't hurt to post a calendar now, though: http://whenisgood.net/k7rbad

If the beginning of the school year creates new scheduling problems for any of you, let me know.

Also, log coming soon, you whiners. tongue

The log of session 7 is fashionably late!

Click to reveal.. (Quotes!)
Eva: I fire another flameburst at the wizard. "You're just full of hot air, aren't you?"

Leitha: "Remind me to murder you all in your sleep for dragging me into this. If we make it through this, that is."

Gramzon: "I hope this one tastes batter then that lacewing."

Xiriatl: "We've inadvertently sparked a civil war on this island, I think. I mean, we were probably going to get around to it anyway, but this was sooner than we planned."

Gramzon: "I might need a little help."

Leitha: "Gramzon, we've thought that of you since we met you, dear."

Leitha: "Do we have anything we need to ask this cretin before we kill him, or shall we put him out his misery now?"

Gramzon: "Nope, this one we just kill."

Eva: "Finish him."

Xiriatl: "I doubt he'd say anything anyway. Kill him."

Also, if the log just is not enough for you, here's Gramzon making small talk over tea:

Click to reveal..
Rowen: I make small talk with the soldiers.

Sarachim: Okay. They're mostly pretty glum, but trying not to show it. They seem to know less than you about what's going on.

Rowen: I try to cheer them up.

Sarachim: "So you think things aren't so bad, then?"

Rowen: "Not at all. I mean look at us, we all just stood up to flying mages and sent them running."

"Besides, we still have our appetites. After a bit of food and a cup of tea the worst of days is made better."

Sarachim: "I guess, but they could come back at any time they want. Half my cohort was wiped out." He catches himself, and looks at your teapot without saying any more.

Rowen: "I know what it is to lose people, to lose someone." I look down at my tea pot.

Sarachim: "I know, you keep going, life flows on, I just don't know how any of us can survive this."

Rowen: I look back up, "We survive because the fallen need us to. If we give up then what does the death of our friends and loved ones mean? How little honor do we do them by staying down every time we fall?"

"Every day I live knowing that I lost my wife and nothing can bring her back but that is no reason for me to give up. It give me the strength to go on. I do everything for her, I try to be what she would want me to be."

"Don't let the deaths of those here today end here. Stand for them and show how brave they are and live for them."

Sarachim: "Well, of course we can't give up. The dream is too big for that." He finishes cooking a leg of one of those river lobsters, and offers it to you.

Rowen: I accept it graciously and pour him and his companions some tea.

Sarachim: They each take a cup, and thank you in turn.

Sarachim: "We haven't had tea in ages. Cheers!"

Rowen: "I know that I am not done here. People are starving at my home because of this Vurziveh. I will see that elf humbled to the dust for all the life's that he has taken."

Sarachim: "I'll drink to that." He does. "If the gods say this island is ours, how can Vurziveh stop us?"

Rowen: I smile and take the rest of the pot into the tent for the others. (End Session I see.)

Sarachim: Well, you can keep going if you want. tongue

As Lilith predicted, Gramzon has earned a very specific perk:

Don't Look Down

"Hold on a second, going to try something rather stupid."

You believe that if you can't see danger, it can't see you. You get a bonus to acrobatics rolls and grappling attacks.

I'm still waiting on a calendar response from Dintiradan, but it looks like our next session will probably be on Saturday, August 28. If that date doesn't work for him, it will probably be the following Saturday, September 4. Sadly, we're going to miss Dikiyoba either way.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Once you complete a log and learn just how tedious and time-consuming it is, you earn every right to complain. Until then, just be grateful we're providing logs at all, and not just truncated summaries.

Didn't take me long, but I'm doing it in literally the laziest way possible short of putting up an unedited AIM log.

Dikiyoba and Dintiradan, don't forget you've got a side-session tonight in a little less than one hour!

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Originally Posted By: Rowen
Now Gramzon can have tea in a tree. His dreams are coming true.

Might that be a Melaleuca alternifolia?

i already made that joke in the log

I was disappointed to learn that you can't actually make tea from a tea tree.

Click to reveal..
Name: Eric
Race: Human
Alignment: Mandatory good

Strength: 5
Intelligence: 3

Hit points: 25/38
Stamina: 7/10

Martial (halberd): 5
Martial (improvised thrown): 5
Religion (Sliros): 4
First aid: 4

Streetwise: 2
Stealth: 2 (+1 RB)
Perception: 2 (+1 RB)

Inventory: Chain mail, halberd, 15 gold, small knife, food and water, broken digital watch.

Dikiyoba.

I'm going to be really boring this time and just bump up my main ability scores.

Click to reveal.. (Level Up)
Name: Wybren Niemantsverdriet

Sex/Race: Male Elf

Alignment: Jovial

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 5 (+1)

Intelligence: 5 (+1)

Hit Points: 23/26 (+6; was at 17 before level up)

Stamina: 5/10

Composure: 4 Ranks + 1 Racial

Magic (Enchantment): 5 Ranks

Martial (Crossbows): 4 Ranks

Perception: 2 Ranks

Stealth: 2 Ranks

Streetwise: 1 Rank + 1 Racial

Click to reveal.. (Spells)
Captivating Performance

-----------------------

You sing or play a song, and capture the attention of your audience. Targeted listeners who fail their saves take a minor penalty to their Perception checks as long as you continue performing. This spell can be used for benevolent or malevolent purposes; kind-hearted songsmiths use the spell to distract their listeners from dreary surroundings, while malicious songsmiths use it to distract their marks from the actions of other party members. This spell has no effect in combat.

Battlesong

----------

Your music inspires your comrades to feats of bravery and strength. As long as you continue performing, they receive small bonuses to their attack rolls and saves.

Inspiring Tale

--------------

As a companion tries to complete a single task, you relate a story either from history or your own experience when another hero faced a similar problem and succeeded. If you roll high enough, your comrade receives a bonus to his or her roll. This spell has no effect in combat.

Discordant Chant

----------------

After watching one of your opponents, you break out into a distracting chant, specifically tailored to your enemy's actions and movements, so that he or she is disoriented and finds it difficult to concentrate. If the target fails his or her save, he or she takes a penalty to attack rolls, saves, and skill checks. A new roll must be made each round, allowing the target to regain composure.

Soothing Lullaby

----------------

Softly, you begin humming at a strange pitch. At first, it's almost impossible to notice. Listeners who you don't exclude from the effect still won't be able to notice as your tone rapidly gets more insistent; they'll be too busy falling over in exhaustion. Targets who fail their saves will succumb to a deep slumber. This spell has no effect in combat.

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)
4 gold pieces

13 crossbow bolts (Pew pew!)

4 day's rations (Probably need to eat one of these, or share the rest of the lobster)

half a giant lobster, cooked

snake meat and skin, unprepared (Probably stinky now. Ew.)

2 torches

cittern (with case)

hand crossbow

sabre

spare cittern strings

spare crossbow strings

spare clothes

needle & thread

flint & steel

soap

waterskin

bedroll

I'll level up as soon as I remember/am told how to.

However, Saturday 4th doesn't work or me, so if you go ahead on that date could somebody cover for Leitha?

Click to reveal..

Leitha

Level 3

HP: 20/28 (+6)

Stamina: 4/10

Martial (Daggers): 5 (+2)

Martial (Improvised): 3

Thievery: 4

Stealth: 5 (+2)

Composure: 2

Streetwise: 1

Perception: 2

Artifice: 2

After they got separated from the party, Eric and Wybren had an adventure of their own. Here it is!

Never travel alone in the swamp. Always adventure on the buddy system.

Click to reveal.. (Each of your quotes exceeds the last, Wybie.)
Wybren: "Your ears are all the same lengths. However do you manage?"

Eric: "One of these days we're going to have to try diplomacy before attacking each other."

Thuja sighs. "Promise not to say or do anything stupid."

Wybren: "Us? Do something stupid? No, of course we won't!"

Thuja: "Promise that as soon as I'm done with Vurziveh, you'll leave and never come back."

Eric: "Gladly."

Remember, the next session is this Saturday! Be there!

wooo, we killed a miniboss

Click to reveal..
Name: Xiriatl of the Cynosural Brotherhood

Race: Lacewing

Alignment: Obsessive

Level: 5

Strength: 2

Intelligence: 7

HP: 24/24

Stamina: 4/10

Crafting (Alchemy): 5

Martial (Sling): 9

Magic (Divination): 7

Thievery: 2

History: 1

Religion (Tanann): 1

Perk: Interrogation -- Any character speaking to Xiriatl suffers a penalty to Composure.

Inventory: Sling, Rocks, Alchemical Kit, Broken Compass, Working Compass, 1x Protective Oil, 2x Stimulant, 1x Healing Salve, Knife, 40 Silver Coins, Black Mold

Spells:

Currently memorised: Detect Magic, Vision, Locate, Portent, Instinct, Analyse Structure, Enhance Senses

Click to reveal.. (Gramzon sure has changed from what he once was.)
Gramzon the Firebreather (Level 5)

Alignment: Self Loathing.
Race: Dragonborn (Male)
Religion: Forsaken by the Gods.

Strength: 8
Intelligence: 2
Max Health: 57/60 HP
Stamina: 9/10

Martial (Pole-arm): 6
Crafting (Metalworking): 3
Artifice: 3
Nature: 4
First Aid: 2

Click to reveal.. (Level Up)
Name: Wybren Niemantsverdriet
Sex/Race: Male Elf
Alignment: Jovial

Intelligence: 5

Hit Points: 32/32 (+6)
Stamina: 9/10

Composure: 4 Ranks + 1 Racial
Magic (Enchantment): 6 Ranks (+1)
Martial (Crossbows): 6 Ranks (+2)
Perception: 2 Ranks
Stealth: 3 Ranks (+1)
Streetwise: 1 Rank + 1 Racial
Click to reveal.. (Spells)
Captivating Performance
-----------------------
You sing or play a song, and capture the attention of your audience. Targeted listeners who fail their saves take a minor penalty to their Perception checks as long as you continue performing. This spell can be used for benevolent or malevolent purposes; kind-hearted songsmiths use the spell to distract their listeners from dreary surroundings, while malicious songsmiths use it to distract their marks from the actions of other party members. This spell has no effect in combat.

Battlesong
----------
Your music inspires your comrades to feats of bravery and strength. As long as you continue performing, they receive small bonuses to their attack rolls and saves.

Inspiring Tale
--------------
As a companion tries to complete a single task, you relate a story either from history or your own experience when another hero faced a similar problem and succeeded. If you roll high enough, your comrade receives a bonus to his or her roll. This spell has no effect in combat.

Discordant Chant
----------------
After watching one of your opponents, you break out into a distracting chant, specifically tailored to your enemy's actions and movements, so that he or she is disoriented and finds it difficult to concentrate. If the target fails his or her save, he or she takes a penalty to attack rolls, saves, and skill checks. A new roll must be made each round, allowing the target to regain composure.

Soothing Lullaby
----------------
Softly, you begin humming at a strange pitch. At first, it's almost impossible to notice. Listeners who you don't exclude from the effect still won't be able to notice as your tone rapidly gets more insistent; they'll be too busy falling over in exhaustion. Targets who fail their saves will succumb to a deep slumber. This spell has no effect in combat.
Click to reveal.. (Inventory)
4 gold pieces
12 crossbow bolts
3 day's rations (-1)
half a giant lobster, cooked
2 torches
cittern (with case)
hand crossbow
sabre
spare cittern strings
spare crossbow strings
spare clothes
needle & thread
flint & steel
soap
waterskin
bedroll
I feel like Wybie Wybren should pick up another song, but with just one (!) session left, it's probably not worth it.

I was a little surprised by Gramzon's emo turn, too. Maybe I missed out somewhat on his attitude toward Clover back when they met before because I was distracted watching the party come so close to blows over what to do with him. It just wasn't the event I would have anticipated would send Gramzy over the edge. But, I suppose if his...past...has been eating at him all along, Colo's death may have just been the straw the broke the camel's back.

Anyway, on a different note, another great session by Sarachim!

Click to reveal..
Name: Eric
Race: Human
Alignment: Mandatory good

Strength: 5

Hit points: 47/48
Stamina: 8/10

Martial (halberd): 6
Martial (improvised thrown): 6

Religion (Sliros): 4
First aid: 4
Stealth: 3
Perception: 3

Streetwise: 2

Inventory: Chain mail, halberd, 15 gold, small knife, food and water, broken digital watch, mysterious wand

Dikiyoba.

With me starting classes, I'll be busy until around 4:30 MDT on Mondays and Wednesdays (and usually busy Monday evening), and busy until 5:00 MDT on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fridays and Saturdays are still open. Here's hoping all the players can make the final session.

Gramzon's outbreak: I don't remember any of it being 'foreshadowed' in the Colo segment, but I seem to remember Gramzon mentioning that he's seeking redemption in other sessions. As for the reaction itself... well. Did you think our resident 8-Strength Dragonborn would choose quiet introspection?

GAH

I'm not sure how this happened, but somehow, AIM didn't log the last session. If anyone else logged it, I would love you forever if you could send it to me by PM or email.

Also, still waiting on a calendar from Nikki. Based on his last calendar, the 11th, the 17th, and the 18th are all looking good.

EDIT: Problem solved. Thanks, Lilith!