Dust Bowl: Yet Another AIMHack Campaign

Sarachim

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Sarachim
...like most intelligent people, I agree with Dikiyoba.

Wow. I had no idea Dikiyoba was THAT influential! Cool.

That must be because you don't have the intelligence to realize the the intelligence of intelligent people comes from having the intelligence to accept Dikiyoba's intelligence as the intelligence that they should have had, but weren't intelligent enough to.

That sentence still doesn't have as much intelligence as Eva...

Originally Posted By: Shadowcat
Originally Posted By: Dantius
That sentence still doesn't have as much intelligence as Eva...

But at least it'll still stay standing in a stiff breeze.

I think it might fall to a rigorous grammatical analysis, though. Hey, we should try that on Eva and see how she fares...

Ding!

Click to reveal..
Name: Eric

Race: Human

Alignment: Mandatory good

Religion: Sliros

Strength: 5

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 3

Hit points: 26/28

Stamina: 10/10

Martial (halberd): 4

Martial (improvised thrown): 4

Religion (Sliros): 3

First aid: 3

Streetwise: 2

Stealth: 2 (+1 RB)

Perception: 2 (+1 RB)

Dikiyoba.

yo homies this my level up

(plz note new spell)

Click to reveal..
Name: Xiriatl of the Cynosural Brotherhood

Race: Lacewing

Alignment: Obsessive

Level: 3

Strength: 2

Intelligence: 7

HP: 14/16

Stamina: 2/10

Speed: 5

Crafting (Alchemy): 5

Martial (Sling): 4

Magic (Divination): 4

Thievery: 2

History: 1

Religion (Tanann): 1

Perk: Interrogation

"I am an alchemist of the Cynosural Brotherhood, sworn to seek only the truth in all things. And I am not leaving until I have found the truth."

Any character speaking to Xiriatl suffers a penalty to Composure.

Inventory: Sling, Rocks, Alchemical Kit, Broken Compass, Protective Oil, 1x Earth Reagents, 3x Air Reagents, 2x Fire Reagents, 3x Water Reagents

Spells:

Currently memorised: Detect Magic, Vision, Locate, Detect History, Instinct, Analyse Structure, Enhance Senses

* Detect Magic - Sense the general magical properties of an item, creature or area.

* Vision - Gives a vision of a location, allowing the caster to see and hear things as if they were present. The closer the area is and the more familiar to the caster, the longer and clearer the vision will be.

* True Sight - Allows the caster to see through invisibility, illusions and similar forms of concealment.

* Locate - Gives information on the location of a person or object. The more familiar the caster already is with the target, the more specific information can be gained.

* Detect History - By touching an object or person, or being present at a location, the caster can gain glimpses of insight into the object, person or location's past.

* Portent - Offer advice regarding a person's immediate future.

* Instinct - The caster gains a small bonus on the next few Strength and Dexterity-based rolls in exchange for a point of Stamina.

* Analyse Structure - When successfully casting this spell on an object or creature, the caster learns its material composition, its approximate internal structure, and identifies any significant flaws or weaknesses in its makeup. Magical objects and living creatures have a higher chance to resist the spell.

* Enhance Senses - Temporarily improves the caster's sensory acuity, giving a bonus to Perception rolls and the ability to sense things even in very suboptimal conditions (reading in near-total darkness, listening to a conversation on the other side of a noisy room, etc.)

I thought about taking a level in First Aid this time around... but we've already got two characters who have first aid already, so I'm holding off.

Click to reveal.. (Eva Roe, Level III)
Name: Eva Roe

Sex/Race: Female Elf

Alignment: Emphatic Empathic

ATTRIBUTES

Strength - 1

Dexterity - 2

Intelligence - 9 (+1)

Health - 12/12 (+2)

Stamina - 4/10

Speed - 5

SKILLS

Magic (Evocation): 5 (+1)

Magic (Conjuration): 5 (+1)

Magic (Abjuration): 4

Religion: 2

Composure: 1

Streetwise: 1

TRAITS

Weak (Weakness) - Eva lacks in physical power. She has heightened difficulty in any task that requires physical strength (this applies even if strength is increased at a later date).

INVENTORY

2 Gold 25 Silvers 0 Coppers (4.50 Gold), Traveling Clothes, Spellbook, Journal, Pen & Ink, Hardtack, Water Flasks (1/2), Vibrant Red Cloak

SUMMON

Patches the Criticalico - A positively adorable male calico cat, summoned by Eva on a critical success. Currently obeys her commands, and has demonstrated tracking skills. Likes being petted.

Click to reveal..

Leitha Mondra, Elven shankstress.

Strength: 3
Intelligence: 3
HP: 18/22 (+6)
Stamina: 3/10

Martial (Daggers): 3
Martial (Improvised): 3
Thievery: 4
Stealth: 3 (+1)
Composure: 2 (+1 Racial for 3 total)
Streetwise: 1 (+1 Racial for 2 total)
Perception: 2
Artifice: 2 (+2)

Perks:

Elusive Assassin:
Your Stealth skill gives a bonus to dodging.

Hey all, I'm back. Sorry I had to dash off for this week without much warning. If it's any consolation, I didn't get much of one either. A camp I canvass for was in dire need of counsellors, so I was voluntold. I was back around 5:00 MDT, but even had I turned on my computer the moment I got back, I would have been too tired to be able to participate (still too tired -- don't ask how long it took to write this post).

Looking forward to reading the log, and seeing if Wybren survived the session. Seriously though, I hope whoever subbed for Wybren (and Gramzon) had fun with the character. If there weren't enough subs, and Wybren just had to respond to the call of nature for the session, that's fine too.

I'll do a level up after I get some sleep.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Looking forward to reading the log, and seeing if Wybren survived the session. Seriously though, I hope whoever subbed for Wybren (and Gramzon) had fun with the character. If there weren't enough subs, and Wybren just had to respond to the call of nature for the session, that's fine too.

I subbed as Wybren, and kept him alive. I did lose one of his crossbow bolts, as we were fleeing that small army, but otherwise he's fine. smile Having a character who goes around singing actually was rather fun.

Level Up

Click to reveal..
Gramzon the Firebreather (Level 3)

Alignment: Loyal (Lawful Good)

Race: Dragonborn (Male)

Religion: Sliros

Strength: 8

Dexterity: 5

Intelligence: 2

Max Health: 36/36 HP

Stamina: 5/10

Martial (Pole-arm): 4

Crafting (Metalworking): 2

Artifice: 2

Nature: 2

Religion: 1

First Aid: 1

Composure: 1

Inventory

Click to reveal..
1 Iron Spear (made by Gramzon)

Belt (worn, holds tools)

Leather chest armor (worn)

Leather vambraces (worn)

Leather bracers (worn)

Leather gloves (worn)

Keffiyeh (worn on the neck)

Set of clothes (worn)

Spare change of clothes

Blacksmith tools (hammer, tongs, gloves)

Bedroll

2 torches

4 days rations

1 length of rope

1 small knife

1 water skin

Old papers

Fist aid bandages

Set of cook wear.

Really sturdy boots

1 Backback

Coin purse (empty)

Custom made metal chest armor (on order with Turve)

EDIT: Forgot my HP and some papers I picked up.

The log of session 5 is here!

After meeting an unfriendly hermit named Thuja, the party finally gets some hard-earned rest, only to discover that one of their own has been captured. As unseen forces move all around them, the party attempts a dramatic rescue! Or, rather, they attempt a dull rescue, but get a dramatic one instead.

Click to reveal.. (Here's some advice. Go now, and I won't set the quotes on you.)
Eva Roe: "Truly, the oceans seek to defeat me on land as well."

Thuja: "Well, you're soft, and stupid, and clearly have no idea where you're going."

Leitha: "I think he punched me because I asked for payment, actually, but I'm not a hundred percent on that right now."

Xiriatl: "Always with the killing. That's not the way to make friends, Leitha."

Eric: "More of a fortress than a castle, really."

Wybren: To cover my embarrassment, I weave an inspiring tale of Balbus the adventurer, who sneaked past an acid dragon to rescue his companions, to inspire Leitha's sneakiness.

But how did Gramzon get captured in the first place, you ask? Was he taken by fraud or by force? Did he finally accept a cup of tea from the wrong person? The answers are here, in a side-session I have entitled "Fry Hard."

Click to reveal.. (Between the exertion and the quotes you lose another stamina point.)
Gramzon: "Respect is earned, not given."

King Vurziveh: "You are about to learn, Nameless Friend, how far I will go to earn respect."

I still need a level-up from Dintiradan, and calendar fill-ins from Nikki and Nioca. So far, it looks like we're shaping up for Friday the 30th, but plenty of other days are still viable.

...Huh. I could have sworn I had already filled in that calendar. *shrug*

Nice solo session, though.

Click to reveal..
Bit disheartening Gorgut got captured again. She needs to learn to stay away from kidnap-happy wack-a-doos. And extra disheartening that we were five feet from Gorgut... and failed to rescue her.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Click to reveal..
Bit disheartening Gorgut got captured again. She needs to learn to stay away from kidnap-happy wack-a-doos. And extra disheartening that we were five feet from Gorgut... and failed to rescue her.

Click to reveal..
It may be unclear when you read the logs out of sequence, but your characters would know that Gorgut was still with the party at the time when Gramzon saw her in the cell. EDIT: Oh, and also, Eric was actively checking the other cells as you went, and would have noticed if Gorgut was in one nearby.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Click to reveal..

Click to reveal..
It may be unclear when you read the logs out of sequence, but your characters would know that Gorgut was still with the party at the time when Gramzon saw her in the cell. EDIT: Oh, and also, Eric was actively checking the other cells as you went, and would have noticed if Gorgut was in one nearby.

Wait...

But that...

I don't...

*segfault*

Quote:
"I don't suppose you have any forgotten hermit-relatives or anything?"

"Odd. That's definitely not very bandit-like."

"Me? Uh...no, I really don't have any gifts in the art of stealth."
That's the Wybren spirit. Thank you, Triumph, once again.

Seems our resident tree-climber can be pretty badass when he puts his mind to it.

Level-up forthcoming.

Sorry, I thought I filled the calender too...

Anyway, Sara - I've painted when I *should* be free, but my work schedule is screwy right now so it's entirely possible I can do other days - the ones I've marked are just "safe". The only other thing is, if it's a Friday, I'm probably working until 11:30GMT so I'd be around an hour late to the session (what with having to walk home and blah blah blah).

Quote:
"I don't suppose you have any forgotten hermit-relatives or anything?"

"Odd. That's definitely not very bandit-like."

"Me? Uh...no, I really don't have any gifts in the art of stealth."
That's the Wybren spirit. Thank you, Triumph, once again.

Seems our resident tree-climber can be pretty badass when he puts his mind to it.

Level-up forthcoming.

Thanks! I was definitely trying to channel the even tone of the experienced, somewhat thoughtful, adventurer that Wybren seems to be.

Edit: Just read Gramzon's special session. Wow! He is a TANK!!! Seriously cool. It reminds me of good old Boregloaf. Also...a critical hit with a PAN??? Ahahahahahaha!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...Gorgut captured??? Huh? When did that happen, or why didn't we notice it before?

The plot thickens.

I almost forgot! I promised to post Eva's solo exploits along with the log this time.

First, like many before her, Eva goes to extreme lengths to get a cup of coffee:

Click to reveal..
Nioca (7:20:58 PM): I quietly poke around about that goblin root coffee. Away from the group so as not to offend.

SarachimSeafello (7:21:27 PM): You find a goblin who knows what you're talking about, and offers to brew you some.

Nioca (7:21:36 PM): I accept.

SarachimSeafello (7:23:13 PM): He puts a metal pot on the fire, and begins grinding some roots. He says it will be ready in five minutes.

Nioca (7:23:42 PM): "Thank you." I go back to studying my spellbook, re-entering earshot of the party.

SarachimSeafello (7:29:44 PM): You hear a faint whistle somwhere. Your goblin pokes you, and whispers that the coffee is ready.

Nioca (7:30:11 PM): I head over and drink some of the coffee.

SarachimSeafello (7:30:45 PM): It doesn't taste much like coffee as you know it. It's more like a very strong, very bitter tea.

Nioca (7:31:18 PM): I nod and thank the goblin as I finish up my retinue of spells.

Nioca (7:31:22 PM): *and keep drinking.

SarachimSeafello (7:31:35 PM): He seems pleased that you like it.

Nioca (7:31:57 PM): "It's good. Thank you."

Nioca (7:32:06 PM): I go back within earshot of the party.

Later, things get much more serious, and Eva responds with fire:

Click to reveal..
SarachimSeafello (9:22:16 PM): Are you doing anything while they mess around on the roof, or just waiting quietly?

Nioca (9:22:40 PM): Just waiting quietly. Eva's not an idiot, she's not going to deliberately draw attention to herself.

Nioca (9:27:27 PM): (Except if you undo the hinges... *facepalm at Triumph*)

SarachimSeafello (9:27:58 PM): This may be the first time when I would have solved a problem faster than an AIMHack party. tongue

SarachimSeafello (9:28:19 PM): Wait, second, if you count the chess game in Selos.

Nioca (9:30:36 PM): Since everyone else is occupied, I poke around more in Gramzon's pack.

SarachimSeafello (9:30:47 PM): Okay. Looking for anything special?

Nioca (9:30:53 PM): No. Just curious.

Nioca (9:31:05 PM): (I'm not going to steal anything)

SarachimSeafello (9:32:46 PM): Okay. There are some more tools in here, a toolbelt, a spare set of clothes, a water skin, bandages, cookwear, and a bedroll.

Nioca (9:33:52 PM): Finished violating Gramzon's privacy, I wait, keeping an eye on my surroundings.

Nioca (9:36:26 PM): (Man, if it wasn't for bad luck...)

SarachimSeafello (9:36:45 PM): (What, you expect the bad guys to leave their doors unlocked for you?)

Nioca (9:37:15 PM): (No, but still. Really makes you wish they had gone through a window instead.)

Nioca (9:37:46 PM): Staying put, I look around for any nearby hiding spots should a patrol or something come.

SarachimSeafello (9:38:07 PM): There aren't any. The ground between here and the palisade is totally clear.

Nioca (9:38:24 PM): (brb)

SarachimSeafello (9:38:25 PM): Of course, you could duck in a window. They're just holes in the wall, some with matting over them.

Nioca (9:41:30 PM): I peek inside the darkened window. Anything inside that I can see?

SarachimSeafello (9:42:04 PM): It's covered. You could push the cover away, but that might be noticed by whoever's inside.

Nioca (9:42:41 PM): I'll wait, then.

Nioca (9:49:06 PM): (And now I'm glad I'm not with them. :-D )

SarachimSeafello (9:50:35 PM): Heh, they may need healing soon. tongue

Nioca (9:50:58 PM): (...They've got Eric, who has first aid. Let him do the healing for a change. tongue )

Nioca (9:56:51 PM): Am I feeling anything from Patches?

SarachimSeafello (9:57:43 PM): Oh, yeah. Danger and alarm/.

Nioca (9:58:12 PM): I start pacing ever-so-slightly. "Crap, crap, crap..." I start whispering to myself.

SarachimSeafello (9:59:30 PM): You can't hear anything, though.

Nioca (9:59:54 PM): (I kinda figured that)

Nioca (10:01:00 PM): I stealthily peek into the darkened window. (Roll?)

SarachimSeafello (10:01:05 PM): Yes, please.

SarachimSeafello (10:01:59 PM): There are two rows of bunk beds in here, most with people sleeping in them. None of them stir as you look in.

Nioca (10:03:36 PM): I back away from the window. "Should I stay, should I go?" I whisper to myself.

SarachimSeafello (10:03:37 PM): You hear the scream.

Nioca (10:03:48 PM): "Well that settles it."

Nioca (10:05:06 PM): (Belkar's first rule of adventuring. When in doubt...)

SarachimSeafello (10:05:16 PM): Stab?

Nioca (10:05:22 PM): I carefully fire a flameburst into the window, igniting the beds.

Nioca (10:05:27 PM): (...set something on fire)

SarachimSeafello (10:05:34 PM): (Oh, right. Roll it.)

SarachimSeafello (10:06:49 PM): The target beds catch fire instantly, spreading it to the others. Their occupants wake up screaming.

Nioca (10:07:01 PM): I duck out of sight of the window.

SarachimSeafello (10:07:18 PM): You hear panic inside. None of them seem to have noticed you.

Nioca (10:07:35 PM): (I would hope not. They have bigger fish to fry.)

Nioca (10:07:38 PM): (er.)

Nioca (10:07:42 PM): (...sorry. tongue )

SarachimSeafello (10:07:47 PM): Sorry?

SarachimSeafello (10:07:58 PM): You hear the horns, also.

As weird as this sounds, it feels like a glow inside Wybren...

Click to reveal.. (Level Up)
Name: Wybren Niemantsverdriet

Sex/Race: Male Elf

Alignment: Jovial

Strength: 3

Intelligence: 4

Hit Points: 17/20 (+6; took 3 damage in fight)

Stamina: 10/10

Speed: 5

Composure: 4 Ranks + 1 Racial

Magic (Enchantment): 5 Ranks (+1)

Martial (Crossbows): 4 Ranks

Perception: 2 Ranks

Stealth: 2 Ranks (+2; new skill)

Streetwise: 1 Rank + 1 Racial

These new skills have been chosen with careful consideration to maximize Wybren's effectiveness, as he is the paragon of ruthless efficiency.

Check out that new skill, though -- Leitha isn't the only sneaky elf in town, now. Maybe he's got a sneaky spell song to match.

Click to reveal.. (Spells)
Captivating Performance

-----------------------

You sing or play a song, and capture the attention of your audience. Targeted listeners who fail their saves take a minor penalty to their Perception checks as long as you continue performing. This spell can be used for benevolent or malevolent purposes; kind-hearted songsmiths use the spell to distract their listeners from dreary surroundings, while malicious songsmiths use it to distract their marks from the actions of other party members. This spell has no effect in combat.

Battlesong

----------

Your music inspires your comrades to feats of bravery and strength. As long as you continue performing, they receive small bonuses to their attack rolls and saves.

Inspiring Tale

--------------

As a companion tries to complete a single task, you relate a story either from history or your own experience when another hero faced a similar problem and succeeded. If you roll high enough, your comrade receives a bonus to his or her roll. This spell has no effect in combat.

Discordant Chant

----------------

After watching one of your opponents, you break out into a distracting chant, specifically tailored to your enemy's actions and movements, so that he or she is disoriented and finds it difficult to concentrate. If the target fails his or her save, he or she takes a penalty to attack rolls, saves, and skill checks. A new roll must be made each round, allowing the target to regain composure.

Soothing Lullaby

----------------

Softly, you begin humming at a strange pitch. At first, it's almost impossible to notice. Listeners who you don't exclude from the effect still won't be able to notice as your tone rapidly gets more insistent; they'll be too busy falling over in exhaustion. Targets who fail their saves will succumb to a deep slumber. This spell has no effect in combat.

Finally, let's keep track of our phat loot.
Click to reveal.. (Inventory)
4 gold pieces

15 crossbow bolts (number of bolts lost over past few sessions)

4 day's rations

half a giant lobster, cooked

snake meat and skin, unprepared

2 torches

cittern (with case)

hand crossbow

sabre

spare cittern strings

spare crossbow strings

spare clothes

needle & thread

flint & steel

soap

waterskin

bedroll

Wait... Eva murdered sleeping people in cold blood? Well, I'm guess their blood was boiling when they died, but whatever. Still, makes me uneasy about my new spell song.

--------------------

Click to reveal..
i-cast-hawk-sleep-demotivational-poster-

Wait... Eva murdered sleeping people in cold blood? Well, I'm guess their blood was boiling when they died, but whatever. Still, makes me uneasy about my new spell song.

Yeah. She's got a hidden weakness that, whenever she becomes aware of sleeping people, she gets an instant and uncontrollable compulsion to set them on fire. Why do you think she never takes watch? tongue

More seriously, we don't know for certain that the inflamed victims died. They were right next to a bunch of trained soldiers, who likely had a healer amongst them to treat them. Unless, of course, the healer was amongst the toasty soldiers, in which case... Oops. But at least there were people to put the flames out, at any rate. eek

Yeah. She's got a hidden weakness that, whenever she becomes aware of sleeping people, she gets an instant and uncontrollable compulsion to set them on fire. Why do you think she never takes watch? tongue

I like Eva a lot better now.

...or maybe not. You know how real life is. Log and quotes coming soon as of now.

In the meantime, please fill out the calendar for session 7:

http://whenisgood.net/sstfey

Wow, seven sessions already? This thing is just flying by.

Originally Posted By: Saro, explorer
Observe the way the hull of a sailing ship disappears over the horizon before its masts. This is clear evidence that our world is round. What will we find off the edges of the map?

The log of session 6 is here!

Click to reveal.. (There are actually spoilers in here, read the log first unless you were there)
Eric: "Someone needs to invent a faster and easier mode of transportation. All this running and walking around is getting old."

Leitha: Then I mime Wybren singing, then being shot at and dying.

Wybren: "Oh. I was thinking fire, seeing that's your thing and all."

Xiriatl: "Oh, come on, cat, they're not going to eat you. Are they? Do elves eat cats?"

Gramzon: "No one is hurting any one!" I call out from my tea.

Eva: "...I love this plan. I'm glad to be a part of it..."

Xiriatl:

"You know, if there's anybody else present who might have a personal connection to our enemies, it would be nice if they could speak up sooner rather than later."

Leitha:

"I don't have any friends, but I can't promise you that somebody doesn't come along looking for me."

Gramzon:

"So you do work for him. Now why should I not kill you right here and right now?"

Seela:

"Well, you would make Wybie cry, for one thing. Not that you'd care."

Wybren:

"Hey, I never cried. Well, not often. But I certainly don't now!"

Gramzon:

"If you don't like 'Clover', what is your name, then?"

Clover:

"Coloviristineit."

Gramzon:

"That is a lovely name."

Xiriatl:

"Yes. We'll make sure to put it on your grave."

Eric:

"I suggest that we take Clover with us and leave him under the care of Captain Doburn or Kheini while we are on our mission. After we are done with our mission, he can leave to do whatever he likes."

Xiriatl:

"That's all very well if he doesn't escape."

Eric:

"But only if he promises not to attempt to escape. And I'm warning you, Sliros does not like people who break their word. And so neither do I."

Also, a little belated housekeeping. Eva has a new perk!

Bookworm

Eva starts flipping through her spellbook, only to notice it's still dark out.

Constant study has made you an expert on all things magical. You gain three additional spell slots.

Finally, don't forget the next session is this Friday, at the usual time. Hope to see you all there!

Sarachim...is that reference to to Dust Bowl as the "most atmospheric of AIMHack campaigns," a lame weather pun?

Yes, it is. Blame my long association with Lilith.

Also: good quotes, and hilariously appropriate perk for Eva.

Even with the extended quote section, it was tough to pick my favorites. Parts of this session played out as elegantly as if they'd been scripted. I felt like I was GMing The Magnificent Seven or something.

Next time, though, I promise you get to fight something. tongue