Dust Bowl: Yet Another AIMHack Campaign

Sarachim

After some well-intentioned but thoroughly misguided encouragement, I've decided to run an AIMHack campaign. Like Eph's and Nioca's, it'll be set in Mote. It begins in the city of Riole, on the island of Koros.

Quote:
Riole is one of the few truly prosperous cities on Mote. On the plains to its south, neat rows of farms stretch from the seacoast to the mountains. The city's quiet streets and lack of walls belie its large size. It's an unlikely place for adventurers to find work, but on the bright side, it's also an unlikely place to die violently.

At least, it was until two weeks ago. Out of nowhere, giant dust storms began rolling down out of the hills, ruining farms, forcing hundreds to flee into the city, and worst of all, stranding you in a city that's somehow just as boring as ever. Without an enemy to fight, you've spent the days literally gathering dust.

Just as you were about to despair, Mayor Krila sent word that she'd like to see you the next morning. You're the only adventurers in town, so it's no wonder she chose you. The only mystery is what she expects you to do about the weather.

If you want to play, send me a character. I'd like to begin in the week of May 17th, so please tell me what days and times you'll be available at that time and on into the summer(if you know already). Lastly, the character with the best backstory/description gets a free perk at level one, so make it good! Think of it as a benefit of living a rich, full life.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaud and endorse this effort, I just won't be able to play, most likely, on account of my annual camp job.

Also, could I beg that you wait until the last Selos session is over? We're going to be running pretty dense with Brigandage sprinting to the conclusion along with Selos and Blood Marsh.

I missed out on the other campaigns, and now that school's done for me, I'm finally able to make this one. I usually wait to pick my character's race/class until others have (to ensure an EigenParty, but right now I'm thinking up a Bard-esque character.

As for availability, I'm in MDT. Nothing during work hours, of course. I'm busy on Sundays, and most Monday evenings as well.

We have our first two characters! First, there's Xiriatl, a lacewing alchemist/mage/slinger. (Is slinger the word? Whatever you call a guy with a sling.)

Click to reveal..
Name: Xiriatl

Race: Lacewing

Alignment: Obsessive

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 5

HP: 8

Stamina: 10

Speed: 5

Crafting (Alchemy): 3

Martial (Sling): 3

Magic (Divination): 3

Thievery: 2

History: 1

Religion (Tanann): 1

Next, it's Gramzon, a dragonborn spearman:

Click to reveal..
Gramzon the Firebreather (Level 1)

Alignment: Loyal (Lawful Good)

Race: Dragonborn (Male)

Religion: Sliros

Strength: 6

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 2

Max Health: 8/8 HP

Stamina: 10/10

Martial (Pole-arm): 4

Crafting (Metalworking): 2

Artifice: 2

Nature: 2

Religion: 1

First Aid: 1

Diplomacy: 1

So, one tank, and one ranged/utility guy. A good start. Space is limited and filling up fast, so don't delay!

Originally Posted By: Zotlqec, Royal Historian at Eolith
The Riolers do not often appear in my work. This is a rare achievement.

We have another character, this time from Nioca. This is awesome!

Click to reveal..
Name: Eva Roe

Race: Elf, Female

Home: Tanan

Deity: Tanann

Alignment: Emphatic empathic.

ATTRIBUTES

Level - 1

Strength - 1

Dexterity - 2

Intelligence - 8

HP - 8

Stamina - 10

SKILLS

Magic (Evocation): 4

Magic (Conjuration): 3

Magic (Abjuration): 2

Religion: 1

Bluff: 1 (RB)

Streetwise: 1 (RB)

TRAITS

Weak - Eva lacks in physical power. She has heightened difficulty in any task that requires physical strength (this applies even if strength is increased at a later date).

And I thought Xiriatl was squishy.

Originally Posted By: Kirkin, priest of Sliros
The religious mysteries of the seafaring dwarves of Koros, their strange gods of wind and water and their exotic pieties, are still famously unknown in the wider world, even among those of us who devote our lives to the divine. Everyone seems to agree that this is due to the dwarves' unwillingness to answer questions about them, but as far as I know, none of my colleagues have ever asked.

We'll see how it goes... I actually wanted to run Amadan at 1 strength, but Eph informed me I might have to spend stamina just to pull back the bow string.

Anyway, most of my Abjuration ideas won't come into play until I get some more points in Abjuration. With that class, 2 points doesn't do a whole lot.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Probably because HP can easily be recouped. For example, spending 2 HP on a level of strength will result in that expenditure paying for itself within two levels.

Yeah, but you didn't do that. tongue

Thuryl made the same point, and it had occurred to me before, but I'm not sure the trade-off is as good as it seems. Having one or two party members with lower HP at the beginning is bearable, but an entire party made of glass is just asking for whatever happens to it.

Level 1 will be tricky if everyone starts with lowered health, especially if there isn't a lot of healing ability in the group, but beyond that strength will matter more. As it stands now, Gramzon will have more hit points than he'll know what to do with before long but Xiriatl and Eva will become squishy and very squishy respectively.

Dikiyoba is not complaining, however. Dikiyoba wants to see a character finally die and this seems like the perfect opportunity. Go, Eva, go! tongue

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Xiriatl and Eva will become squishy and very squishy respectively.

Xiriatl: If Amadan has taught me one thing, it's that you never underestimate Dexterity's phys. resist bonus. It doesn't matter if you're running on 1 HP if you never get hit in the first place.

Eva: That's what the Abjuration is for. Or, in the beginning, just using her glass railgun abilities to take out enemies before they close.

That said, there's a reason it's still called a trade-off. It's a little pain now for a bigger reward later. And if the party starts with only 40/48 hitpoints instead of the usual 50/60, well, I'm sure we'll manage.

Quote:
Dikiyoba is not complaining, however. Dikiyoba wants to see a character finally die and this seems like the perfect opportunity. Go, Eva, go! tongue

So do I, actually. It seems almost unnatural how long we've gone without a character death... 3 1/2 campaigns...

That said, I will be staying near the back of the group. Which is what I usually do anyway, but now it's even further back. tongue

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Thuryl made the same point, and it had occurred to me before, but I'm not sure the trade-off is as good as it seems. Having one or two party members with lower HP at the beginning is bearable, but an entire party made of glass is just asking for whatever happens to it.

That's why all my mages have had 4 or 5 strength respectively- I dislike squishy characters.

Actually, it's reaching the point where they have some of the highest HP of the campaigns. Interesting.

My router gave up the ghost yesterday shortly after I posted, and I only got it replaced now. So I didn't have access to the ruleset, and thus haven't created a character yet. However, I did come up with a background/personality description for Billy Bob the Bard. Should I post/e-mail it now?

Building a bard with the current ruleset will be interesting. I'm thinking most of the magic abilities will be contained within Magic (Enchantment). There doesn't seem to be a Perform skill; should we add a sixteenth skill called Profession? That way, people could build characters with Profession (Minstrel) or Profession (Sailor). Another possibility would be to use the Crafting skill, though that looks a little odd.

I had intended the character for ranged combat, but looking over the characters posted, it will be better if I make him more melee based, so poor Gramzon isn't alone holding the front line.

I'll be going over the session logs for the next bit, trying to build a spell list/recycle existing spells. I'm going for the usual mass buff spells and check bonus abilities; I'm open for suggestions.

(No, Billy Bob the Bard won't be his name. Had you going for a moment, didn't I?)

EDIT: Male elf, for what it's worth.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Actually, it's reaching the point where they have some of the highest HP of the campaigns. Interesting.

And yet they spend so much time either almost dying or actively killing the other party members. tongue

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I'll be going over the session logs for the next bit, trying to build a spell list/recycle existing spells. I'm going for the usual mass buff spells and check bonus abilities; I'm open for suggestions.

FYI, when Blood Marsh and Selos end, I will be compiling the spells used in both campaigns and throwing them up somewhere on my webspace.

Ephesos/Sarachim: What exactly is the process for learning new spells? I know that spells prepared is limited by INT, but how does one get access to new spells? One per level up? GM's discretion? Not a pressing concern, obviously, just curious.

Wybren the Hireling-cum-Songsmith has been submitted for approval. I really wanted to spell it Wijbren, but decided to go with the less confusing spelling. Good luck with his last name, though. ;-)

Ephesos/Sarachim: What exactly is the process for learning new spells? I know that spells prepared is limited by INT, but how does one get access to new spells? One per level up? GM's discretion? Not a pressing concern, obviously, just curious.

*shrug* It varies, largely based on the spell they want to learn. Sufficiently new/complicated things require finding an NPC, in my book.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Wybren the Hireling-cum-Songsmith

Holy smokes, look at that name. I'm just going to call you Billy Bob for short. And part of that name is rather...unique.
To clarify: his first name is Wybren, his last name is Niemantsverdriet, and his occupation is songsmith.

And 'cum' is a perfectly fine preposition, thank you very much!

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Also, indeed kudos to Nioca for finally braving a 1-STR character... his characters' strength has steadily dropped since Labyrinth.

Heh. Yes, it has, from 3 (Etris) to 2 (Amadan) and now 1 (Eva). I guess strength just isn't my strong-point... tongue

Also, wow, look at those names...

Okay, mega-post coming, with a few things in it.

First, we have two new characters. Here's Eric, a human halberdier (Dikiyoba):

Click to reveal..
Name: Eric

Race: Human

Alignment: Mandatory good

Religion: Sliros

Strength: 5

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 3

Hit points: 8/8

Martial (halberd): 4

Martial (improvised thrown): 1

Religion (Sliros): 2

First aid: 2

Streetwise: 1

Stealth: 2 (+1 RB)

Perception: 2 (+1 RB)

And next, Wybren, a (mostly) elf bard, and the only character so far who hasn't got religion (Dintiradan):

Click to reveal..
Name: Wybren Niemantsverdriet

Sex/Race: Male Elf (paternal grandfather was human)

Alignment: Jovial

Strength: 3

Intelligence: 4

Hit Points: 8/8

Speed: 5

Bluff: 1 Ranks + 1 Racial

Diplomacy: 3 Ranks

Magic (Enchantment): 3 Ranks

Martial (Crossbows): 2 Ranks

Perception: 1 Rank

Streetwise: 2 Ranks + 1 Racial

Second: I answer your questions, and I speak with the voice of a god.

Building a bard with the current ruleset will be interesting. I'm thinking most of the magic abilities will be contained within Magic (Enchantment). There doesn't seem to be a Perform skill; should we add a sixteenth skill called Profession? That way, people could build characters with Profession (Minstrel) or Profession (Sailor). Another possibility would be to use the Crafting skill, though that looks a little odd.

I'm inclined to allow Profession skills, at my discretion, but make sure there isn't an existing skill that would do the same thing equally well or better. In Wybren's case, Magic(Enchantment) seems to do everything Profession(Perform) would do, and has the potential to do more in the future if you're so inclined.

Originally Posted By: Nalyd
Is this still open? If so, I'm in.

The party isn't full yet, but it's getting there. You're the seventh person to express interest, and I don't want to go above six, so if nobody drops out I'll have to make a hard choice. Somebody usually drops out, though, so if you want in definitely send me a character.

My rule is going to be that low- and mid-level spells won't require a teacher unless they're exceptionally complex/weird/arcane, and that you can learn as many new ones as you want any time you would be able to prepare new spells. As with all things, this is subject to DM's discretion. tongue

Third: Let's talk about timing. I live on the east coast of the United States. I expect to be busy during the work day, but I make up for this by not sleeping at night, so our sessions will probably fall somewhere in the 6PM-1AM Eastern Daylight Time range (EDT is GMT-4). I'll talk about this more when I know my exact schedule, and there will probably be other options like weekends, but if that time bloc is impossible for you please let me know now.

Fourth: Expect a website with more extensive character information soon, including backstories, spell lists, and starting inventories.

And fifth, ending quote!

Originally Posted By: Bolit, Captain-Lord of Miana
Since the fall of Exana, our republic has been the only power on Mote to maintain a standing navy. When I think of all the ways that our city has profited from this institution, I cannot help wondering why none imitate us.

We've got a full party AND an alternate!

First, our final party member, Leitha, an elven thief (Nikki):

Click to reveal..
Leitha Mondra, Elven shankstress.

Sex/Race: Female Elf

Alighment: Conniving.

Intelligence: 3

HP: 10/10

Martial (Daggers): 2

Martial (Improvised): 2

Thievery: 3

Stealth: 2

Bluff: 2 (+1 Racial for 3 total)

Streetwise: 1 (+1 Racial for 2 total)

Perception: 1

That makes a full party of six. We've also got our first character off the bench, Dyen the elven con artist (hmm, where have I seen that before?) from Nalyd:

Click to reveal..
Name: Dyen Dawes

Race: Elf

Alignment: Profit

Deity: Kyrophius

Intelligence: 4

Health: 8

Bluff: 5

Martial(Bare Hands): 3

Thievery: 1

Perception: 2

Streetwise: 1

Keep an eye on the thread, Nalyd, because you'll be the first in if/when somebody drops out.

Originally Posted By: Lugla, naturalist
Yes, I've heard of all the legendary beasts of Ouracasos. I'll believe in land sharks when I see one.