Sign in to follow this  
Daryll

Trouble running Exile 3

I have downloaded Exile 3 from the website. I am not able to play the game at all, even after scanning my computer, and getting my settings up [compatability acceptance or whatever it's called] so that I can play the game.

I am running a Vista.

Anyone able to help me? >.<

Check the post about Exile 2,3 crashing to desktop. I know nothing about Vista but I hear that installing a program in the Program Files directory may not be a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Daryll
I am running a Vista.
Basically, that's the problem.

In order to run the Exile Trilogy games on a Vista machine, you need some kind of virtualization software and a (preferably legal) copy of an older Windows OS. My personal preference is VirtualBox emulating WinXP.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software; leave your sanity at the door.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Daryll
I am running a Vista.
Basically, that's the problem.

Argh, no, it isn't! If you're running 64-bit windows, then it won't work because that doesn't support 16-bit windows because it's a terrible idea to stay backwards compatible with software written for operating systems of 20 years ago.

If you're not running 64-bit windows, which is most likely, it's probably a permissions issue with not being run as administrator, or some particular compatibility shim that's needed not being used...

If you provide us with more information than "it doesn't work" we might be able to help you more... How is it not working? Does it crash? What error message do you see? etc.

Basically, there's no way to run the Exile games on 64-bit Windows, without an emulator, correct?

I've never used an emulator before, but am I correct in assuming I would need an actual older version of Windows to install into the Emulator?

Yes, you would. DOSbox can run Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11, and most other emulators that support Windows can (I believe) run versions like Win95, Win98, and so forth. With a Windows emulator, probably any version would be able to run.

Easier would be find Win98SE somewhere (ebay) and run Exile at there (not sure if even XP 32bit can run Exile 1-3).

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
not sure if even XP 32bit can run Exile 1-3
It can run E1-3, A1-4, BoA, G1-3, and the non-open source BoE. Not sure about the rest, but I'm fairly certain that Nethergate and N:R will also work there.

Daryll if you're running 32-bit Vista, just ry setting it to run in compatibiblity mode for 98, ME or XP any of those works. I have mine running under that even though it doesn't have any problems, just because I'd rather run it in compatibility it was designed for originally.

Emulators are the way to go, honestly. The problem is finding one that is safe and legal to use. And downloading them decently. The whole 64 / 32 bit issue is really annoying, honestly.

get some pentium 1-3 or somethiong like that computer from somewhere and play exiles with it. p4 and win xp 32 bit should run exiles just fine but ...........