Avernum 2 archer

I rolled an archer in Avernum 2. I couldn't find any place that sold arrows in chapter 2. Now I'm in chapter 3 and I still can't find an arrow vendor. By the way, he has a Yew Bow and 10 unused Iron Bolts. Should I train him in some other weapon?

Also does strength increase archer damage? I'm under the impression that it only help with melee weapons.

Strength helps carry all those arrows once you find them. It doesn't increase missle weapon damage.

The arrow merchants are in the towns once you pass back from the Vahnatai lands. It's always a good idea for a fighter to have a melee weapon skill since there are lots of nice once and they do more damage than arrows.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
It's always a good idea for a fighter to have a melee weapon skill since there are lots of nice once and they do more damage than arrows.

Reiterated for emphasis. Archery damage will really never have anything close to parity with melee damage, and at range magic shines. Archery is decent backup while you close on distant enemies and it helps in a couple of special fights, but you don't want to turn it into a character's primary focus.

—Alorael, who wouldn't worry too much about ammo if you do want to keep up the archery. After Chapter 3 you'll hit Chapter 4, which is the rest of the game and which gives you far more freedom than the previous chapters did. Merchants and arrows become plentiful.