any good

• 3 weeks later...

Original Nethergate had a unique leveless system where you got skill points for a fixed amount of experience with enough random monster encounters that allowed you to raise characters easily. You could make some interesting characters and do things not possible in the remake.

The remake has more to do and one quest is switched from the Romans to the Celts.

One good thing about the original is that it made you eat food while resting in order to get benefit from the rest. Although the remake claims it does, also, in fact I've never consumed a morsel of food in that game, which makes me wonder why they bother including it.

Another difference (which I could see being either a plus or a minus) is that in the remake not everything you find — not even everything with a value attached to it — can be 'cashed in'. I believe the breakoff point is $5, so anything you find worth $4 or less you don't have to bother dragging back to your base. That saves you time, but means you end up with less money, and fewer opportunities to encounter random monsters.

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Darts of Ice can be cast on 8 targets with a powerful enough caster in the first game. It's limited to 5 or 6 (I don't recall how many off the top of my head) in N:R.

I can't seem to get it above 3 targets with Druidism and War Circle both at 8. Then again, he's not too high a level, so oh well.

Darts of Ice was nerfed in Resurrection to maximum 3. I think Jeff wanted to eliminate some imbalances from the original game that made druids too powerful. I probably shouldn't have sent Jeff that Roman party of all druids running around in druid robes and slaughtering everything with just spells from the original game. smile

Celtic druids were still powerful because they have access to all the spells. The Romans are forced to go with weapons and using spells for buffing in Resurrection. A pure Roman spell game is relatively harder with the nerfed spell selection. I tried it twice during beta testing to see what I could do.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Darts of Ice was nerfed in Resurrection to maximum 3. I think Jeff wanted to eliminate some imbalances from the original game that made druids too powerful. I probably shouldn't have sent Jeff that Roman party of all druids running around in druid robes and slaughtering everything with just spells from the original game. smile

That's a party I've never actually played. I think I'm going to try that.