Hot Dogs

grasshopper

I need the advice of the community here!

I've been asked by somebody to move to a remote city, a city that has never really heard of hotdogs before, and flood them with a hotdog franchise.

So what I am looking for, is stories of the best hot dogs you have ever ever had, and why they were the best, to help me decide if i should become the hotdog king, and if i do, what kind of hotdogs i should sell.....

Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake tonight, but this sounds more like a serious inquiry than a joke. So, boggle, if you have any kind of entrepreneurial experience, sales experience, or even hotdog experience, why are you asking a bunch of random ignorant idiots like us such important questions about your proposed new enterprise? And if you haven't got any of those kinds of experience, why the heck is anyone picking you to be their hot dog king of a city?

Whatever: if they're really paying you, fine, what can you lose. But do not pay or lend or invest a penny of your own money, not for any reason.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
why are you asking a bunch of random ignorant idiots like us such important questions

This.

But any hot dog purchased at a baseball stadium is unfailingly delicious, compared to the boring things you get in supermarkets. I do not know why, it is just what I know.

Originally Posted By: boggle
purple cows

sorry for the obscure refrence, purple cow mean something odd (imagen seeing a purple cow in a pasture full of normal ones, woulden't that be a odd) that can be used as a marketing tool. Example: neon green hot dogs with choped limes as a toping, most people will want to have one, even if it tast bad.

. . . if you're a random ignorant idiot. Green meat scares me, not entices me. Of course, the general public of America is frequently considered to be composed of random ignorant idiots, so maybe it is a good idea.

(Don't worry, I understand this concept, I just fear the example.)

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
But any hot dog purchased at a baseball stadium is unfailingly delicious, compared to the boring things you get in supermarkets. I do not know why, it is just what I know.

Everything is more delicious if you eat it while you watch a baseball game.

Quote:
So, boggle, if you have any kind of entrepreneurial experience, sales experience, or even hotdog experience, why are you asking a bunch of random ignorant idiots like us such important questions about your proposed new enterprise?

You guys, whether you know it or not, are all hot dog experts. If i do this, i'll have to decide whether to sell american style hot dogs or not, and by looking at the replies, nobody here is a big fan of american style hotdogs, somthing to eat when watching a game but nothing else. That is really really useful information.

Quote:
And if you haven't got any of those kinds of experience, why the heck is anyone picking you to be their hot dog king of a city?

Their money, their proposal, their judgement, so, who knows!

Originally Posted By: boggle
You guys, whether you know it or not, are all hot dog experts. If i do this, i'll have to decide whether to sell american style hot dogs or not, and by looking at the replies, nobody here is a big fan of american style hotdogs, somthing to eat when watching a game but nothing else. That is really really useful information.

We are a tiny sample size of a fragment of a fragment of a fragment of a market. I would not recommend using this data in any sort of serious proposal, and would also suggest avoiding business dealings with anyone who would accept said proposal.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
If this thread is going to constitute a significant component of your market research, then this is probably not a wise venture.

Nothing has ever gone wrong with asking a random internet forum for advice on something they don't know about! Never. I cannot think of one example.

But at least it's not a "hey should I get this checked out by a doctor" thread.

And for the record, I hate hot dogs. Except corn dogs, which are inexplicably delicious.

Quote:
We are a tiny sample size of a fragment of a fragment of a fragment of a market. I would not recommend using this data in any sort of serious proposal, and would also suggest avoiding business dealings with anyone who would accept said proposal.

Look at that, you guys are caring, thoughtful and considerate!

Consider Danish hotdogs, made with original Danish "rode polser" (means red sausage - imagine a slash through the o's and it's Danish). They are of a truly special flavour, probably enhanced by their substantial food-colouring, hence the name. It'll help create very lovely contrasts with bright green pickles and yellow cole-slaw. Makes for great advertisement shots.

I spent a summer making test sample hot dogs for a "new" version at a major manufactuer. Basically it was rerunning 10 year old research to justify a decision. The company wanted to be ready when their competitor came out with the same thing.

Find out what type of customers you are likely to get. You don't want to sell pork based ones in a Jewish or Muslim community. You might need turkey ones for a health conscious group.

The wiener sausages that make up hotdogs are actually just one end of a sausage continuum that stretches smoothly all the way to the short, fat, chunkier Italian kind of thing. And branches sideways to include bologna and mortadella and their kith, and salami and Slim-Jim-like-things, and who knows what all. In continental Europe you can find pretty much the entire universe of sausages. And wieners do exist, and people even eat them. They tend to be longer and thinner than the North American hot dog wiener, with a snappier skin and juicier meat, but they're recognizably the same kind of thing.

Sausages of all kinds are indeed popular in Germany in particular, and are typically eaten in buns. Bafflingly, though, the buns are invariably the ordinary round rolls, so that the sausage sticks out the ends, and the bun is much wider than the sausage. The idea of having the bun fit the sausage just doesn't seem to have occurred here.

But then again, why should it? As a matter of fact it's perfectly possible to eat a sausage in a round bun. You're apt to get quite a few bites of sausage with no bun, and of bun with no sausage; but if you like both sausage and bread independently, how is this a problem?

Originally Posted By: Lilith
they call them "sausage rolls" rather than "hot dogs" over here though

Maybe in Melbourne... A sausage roll is a sausage wrapped in pastry and baked that you get from a bakery. I agree with the vote for wholemeal buns - that would make the hotdog exponentially more interesting. In Germany (the land of truly wonderful bread) it is disappointing that the hotdog comes with dull, sugary white bread.

Quote:
The wiener sausages that make up hotdogs are actually just one end of a sausage continuum that stretches smoothly all the way to the short, fat, chunkier Italian kind of thing.

Something that is really popular in england is the sausage butty, put some sausages between two hunks of bread, add condiment, ta da!

Is a long fat european sausage in a wholemeal roll still a hotdog, or just frankenstein's sausage brother?

When i lived in america, it wasn't for terribly long, but the only good hotdog i had was at a baseball game. But that was more to do with how boring i find baseball, my growling stomach furnace, and the size of the hotdog itself!

I'm sure you could pack a lot of flavour in to a meaty tube, no pun intended, and what surprises me is the lack of good quality hotdogs in many places, the feeble wiener is surprising popular!

a cheeseburger from mcdonalds, and a cheeseburger from tgi fridays, both cheeseburgers, but i bet the one from tgi fridays would never take mcburger back home to meet the parents...

i guess bread is really important, i hate white sugary bread, it seems really popular in the states though, or maybe just a decision of cost conscious hotdog sellers.