• Announcements

• Una Corda and Truth

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Sign in to follow this  
DivineGigi

A6 - Question about Barriers and Keys

What lovely forums! If only I'd found these earlier, I've been playing since Exile the first all alone in the dark.

Anyway, quick question about barriers.

How does one remove barriers that can't be removed with a piercing crystal?

Is there a spell or do I need to reach a certain skill level for the piercing crystal to be effective enough?

Also is there some secret to finding piercing crystals? They are so rare! I've been saving the game before using them, then judging whether the reward was good enough to be worth a crystal (mostly not) then reloading.

Also, for locks that cannot be picked, does every single lock have a key, or are some just unpickable?

I'd appreciate any help or opinions. Good to see so many other fans laugh

Acky   

There's a Dispel Barrier spell in the Mage category. It needs 11 Mage Skill to use. I don't know who teaches it.

In A5, Jeff put in some places that were unreachable, and he seems to have done the same thing with A6. I guess its supposed to make you feel like you havn't fully discovered everything.

Piercing crystals are never worthless. You can sell them for 75 coins.

Gladwell's reward for his second quest is Dispel Barrier.

Jerakeen   

The locks that are "too complicated to be picked" usually have quest rewards behind them, so just be patient.

Locmaar   

Forgive our manners. Welcome to the boards, DivineGigi. Leave your sanity in the dark, uh, at the door.

A word of advice - keep one or two piercing crystals because you need to dispel a barrier or two to access either of the two areas where you can get the Dispel Barrier spell. I made this mistake and couldn't find a piercing crystal for AGES (roar!!). Also making a list of undispelled barriers is helpful so you can easily return once privy to the spell.

Zummi   

Synergy's item list list barriers that could either be pierced or dispelled.

Thanks for the help everyone. Very useful. Found the quest, no idea how I'll ever kill the Haakai.

Master Acrovan, I thought everything was eventually solvable in Avernum 5, depending on how you played. You could unlock all the secrets with two playthroughs so I'd like to imagine everything is eventually unlockable here (though we may never know, the game is so very large.)

Øther   
Originally Posted By: DivineGigi
Thanks for the help everyone. Very useful. Found the quest, no idea how I'll ever kill the Haakai.
.....The quest is to get papers from under the great portal though.....

Ah yes, about that...

I am now finding it very ironic that to get the papers I require a piercing crystal possibly two. To complete the second gladwell request requires 3 (used two already just need one more)

I am two spells over dispel barrier, no piercing crystals to be found (and I've never sold any either!) and I am finding myself completely blocked moving forwards. I am a very through gamer so had there been crystals, I would have found them. Is this possibly a bug? Or just bad design. (I'm leaning towards unbalanced design.....)

There are piercing crystals, but they aren't always in obvious places. There is a merchant wandering west of Almaria along the south road that sells one. There is one hidden in a switch opened room of the Undead Spiral's lower level.

Consult Synergy's Item List if you are really desperate.

Jerakeen   
I'd like to imagine everything is eventually unlockable here (though we may never know, the game is so very large.)

Unlockable, yes, I think so. Jeff doesn't seem to design rooms not to be seen.

Truly inaccessible areas are blocked by rubble, so you can get tantalizing glimpses but never get there. But there are only a couple of these, fortunately.

Talias   
Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
I'd like to imagine everything is eventually unlockable here (though we may never know, the game is so very large.)

Unlockable, yes, I think so. Jeff doesn't seem to design rooms not to be seen.

Truly inaccessible areas are blocked by rubble, so you can get tantalizing glimpses but never get there. But there are only a couple of these, fortunately.

Lol, have you played geneforge? I think theres two rooms that caused quiet the rumours; one should have a gazer in it but I forget which game, in number 2 I believe there was a room ot the very end meant to hide the drakon thing. And the school in 4 clears out ruble (I think).
Barriers are those glowing light blue things right (I'm new to this game).

Edited: Everything answered, thx person who posted right after moi. Even answered something that wasn't actually a question. Nice job there, lol.

Dikiyoba   
Originally Posted By: Talias
Barriers are those glowing light blue things right (I'm new to this game).

Yes, those are magic barriers.

Quote:
I think theres two rooms that caused quiet the rumours; one should have a gazer in it but I forget which game, in number 2 I believe there was a room ot the very end meant to hide the drakon thing.

The room with the gazer in it that cannot be accessed is in Quessa-Uss in G4. The unopenable door in G2 does get a mention in the ending, so it's explained well enough even if you can't get into it.

Dikiyoba.

Jeff left the upstairs as a teaser. One more place you can never get into as opposed to the room with the gazer that he planned to used and changed his mind.

Jeff likes to put things in to the game that can't be reached. Something just on the other side of a gap that can't be crossed or some other irritation for the completionists that play his games. Avernum 5 has several rooms that can't be gotten to because there are no doors and the switches don't work.

Golgoth   

Those are the things that make me wish i knew how to make a teleporter, like in pyros geneforge trainer. But lets say you get passed said gap would anything be on the other side?

Dikiyoba   

Not likely. There might be something, if Jeff originally planned to have it be accessible, but most of the time there won't be anything there.

Dikiyoba.

Istara   
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Jeff likes to put things in to the game that can't be reached. Something just on the other side of a gap that can't be crossed or some other irritation for the completionists that play his games. Avernum 5 has several rooms that can't be gotten to because there are no doors and the switches don't work.

Like that hidden area in a (BoE? BoA?) scenario, where to get access you had to edit the terrain. And then when you got to the otherwise inaccessible room, there was a little sign, which read: "how did you get here?!"

I loved that wink

Fort   

I think the worst unreachable teaser was the room behind Erika's throne in Exile 3. You could tell that there was some designed terrain in that room (i.e., it is not just floor tiles), but as far as I know there was no way to access it.