A6 - Question about Barriers and Keys

DivineGigi

What lovely forums! If only I'd found these earlier, I've been playing since Exile the first all alone in the dark.

Anyway, quick question about barriers.

How does one remove barriers that can't be removed with a piercing crystal?

Is there a spell or do I need to reach a certain skill level for the piercing crystal to be effective enough?

Also is there some secret to finding piercing crystals? They are so rare! I've been saving the game before using them, then judging whether the reward was good enough to be worth a crystal (mostly not) then reloading.

Also, for locks that cannot be picked, does every single lock have a key, or are some just unpickable?

I'd appreciate any help or opinions. Good to see so many other fans laugh

There's a Dispel Barrier spell in the Mage category. It needs 11 Mage Skill to use. I don't know who teaches it.

In A5, Jeff put in some places that were unreachable, and he seems to have done the same thing with A6. I guess its supposed to make you feel like you havn't fully discovered everything.

A word of advice - keep one or two piercing crystals because you need to dispel a barrier or two to access either of the two areas where you can get the Dispel Barrier spell. I made this mistake and couldn't find a piercing crystal for AGES (roar!!). Also making a list of undispelled barriers is helpful so you can easily return once privy to the spell.

Thanks for the help everyone. Very useful. Found the quest, no idea how I'll ever kill the Haakai.

Master Acrovan, I thought everything was eventually solvable in Avernum 5, depending on how you played. You could unlock all the secrets with two playthroughs so I'd like to imagine everything is eventually unlockable here (though we may never know, the game is so very large.)

Ah yes, about that...

I am now finding it very ironic that to get the papers I require a piercing crystal possibly two. To complete the second gladwell request requires 3 (used two already just need one more)

I am two spells over dispel barrier, no piercing crystals to be found (and I've never sold any either!) and I am finding myself completely blocked moving forwards. I am a very through gamer so had there been crystals, I would have found them. Is this possibly a bug? Or just bad design. (I'm leaning towards unbalanced design.....)

There are piercing crystals, but they aren't always in obvious places. There is a merchant wandering west of Almaria along the south road that sells one. There is one hidden in a switch opened room of the Undead Spiral's lower level.

Consult Synergy's Item List if you are really desperate.

Originally Posted By: DivineGigi
I'd like to imagine everything is eventually unlockable here (though we may never know, the game is so very large.)

Unlockable, yes, I think so. Jeff doesn't seem to design rooms not to be seen.

Truly inaccessible areas are blocked by rubble, so you can get tantalizing glimpses but never get there. But there are only a couple of these, fortunately.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
Originally Posted By: DivineGigi
I'd like to imagine everything is eventually unlockable here (though we may never know, the game is so very large.)

Unlockable, yes, I think so. Jeff doesn't seem to design rooms not to be seen.

Truly inaccessible areas are blocked by rubble, so you can get tantalizing glimpses but never get there. But there are only a couple of these, fortunately.

Lol, have you played geneforge? I think theres two rooms that caused quiet the rumours; one should have a gazer in it but I forget which game, in number 2 I believe there was a room ot the very end meant to hide the drakon thing. And the school in 4 clears out ruble (I think).
Barriers are those glowing light blue things right (I'm new to this game).

Edited: Everything answered, thx person who posted right after moi. Even answered something that wasn't actually a question. Nice job there, lol.

Originally Posted By: Talias
Barriers are those glowing light blue things right (I'm new to this game).

Yes, those are magic barriers.

Quote:
I think theres two rooms that caused quiet the rumours; one should have a gazer in it but I forget which game, in number 2 I believe there was a room ot the very end meant to hide the drakon thing.

The room with the gazer in it that cannot be accessed is in Quessa-Uss in G4. The unopenable door in G2 does get a mention in the ending, so it's explained well enough even if you can't get into it.

Dikiyoba.

Jeff likes to put things in to the game that can't be reached. Something just on the other side of a gap that can't be crossed or some other irritation for the completionists that play his games. Avernum 5 has several rooms that can't be gotten to because there are no doors and the switches don't work.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Jeff likes to put things in to the game that can't be reached. Something just on the other side of a gap that can't be crossed or some other irritation for the completionists that play his games. Avernum 5 has several rooms that can't be gotten to because there are no doors and the switches don't work.

Like that hidden area in a (BoE? BoA?) scenario, where to get access you had to edit the terrain. And then when you got to the otherwise inaccessible room, there was a little sign, which read: "how did you get here?!"

I loved that wink