Scenario Release: Enemy at the Gates!

Metatron

Enemy at the Gates is the beginning of a series that I have mostly written down. You play a typical band of rogues, wandering around and looking for work... or at least money. The General of the tiny nation of Megiddo asks you to take care of a problem for him. Recommended for levels 5-10.

As of 2/9/10, available for Windows here or Mac here. Check out screenshots one and two here. If it's been a while since 2/9/10, try blades.nethergate.net or blades.ermarian.net.

Expect the sequel, DWE, before summer 2010.

Ditto.

However, I think I've hit a glitch. You know how you set it so dialogue activates the moment that certain enemies die (e.g. the Big Bad)? On this end, what's happening is that the dialogue will pop up for a moment, then vanish. The first one mostly worked, but the one versus the main villain didn't. Which is sort of disappointing, because it seemed like there was a lot more than the villain just dropping dead.

frown Is anyone else having this problem? Does the game display any error messages? Does the problem still occur if you re-unzip the scenario?

I have some theories about what's going on, assuming it's not an outright bug in the coding. Maybe the game calls the creature's state repeatedly, or maybe the game doesn't like running the dialog script at the same time as a monster script. If it's okay with you, can I e-mail you a new version of the creature's script? And then you could paste this version of the monster's script into your the EatG folder and try it out?

On my first play-through, everything went according to plan (I think). Second time around, maybe I killed the Hunan scouts too quickly or something, but I didn't get the death dialogue on the final scout and Deadeye didn't leave. He stayed with me for the remainder of the scenario--I can send you a screenshot of him meeting himself back in the tower if you like!

Then, after killing Keria, the dialogue only appears for a split second, as Nioca describes.

I didn't notice any error messages.

Other than that, everything seems fine. And congratulations on completing a scenario. I hope it's the first of many. grin

I didn't have any problems with the auto-dialog, but there were some other issues. A lot of your intro dialogs are broken, I believe you need to set personalities in the editor to make them work properly. Also I noticed in the editor that Keria's father is supposed to appear in the manor, but he definitely didn't show up when I played.

Good work overall though. I had some issues with the narrative, but I suppose I'll save those comments for a review if I get around to putting my thoughts in words.

Originally Posted By: Lazarus.
I believe you need to set personalities in the editor to make them work properly. Also I noticed in the editor that Keria's father is supposed to appear in the manor, but he definitely didn't show up when I played.

OH! Yeah, I've been trying to figure out for a while now why those intros were broken. Thanks, that solves one problem.

I deleted Keria's father. smile

And does anyone have a clue why these dialogs are broken? I suppose I can make them special text, that seems to work. Of course, that also involves more work... :T

Quote:
Alright, I sent off a reply. Basically, the problem originates with killing someone with a missile weapon. No idea why that'd conflict with a dialogue script popping up, but it apparently does.

Dang, that must be how I tricked myself into believing the problem was fixed. The first several times I tested, I killed Keria with arrows, but on the final test I used melee.

Okay, I uploaded V1.01 of Enemy at the Gates to "my" webspace, changing the dialog problems mentioned above. As of 3 am Pacific on 2/15, there is no Mac version. Niemand was converting graphics and making Mac-friendly versions, but I feel bad constantly asking him to do help me out. So if anyone would like to e-mail me an updated Mac zip, that would be awfully nice. My e-mail is in my profile description, and the updated Windows version of EatG is still available for download through the link in the original post.

Assuming the graphics aren't changing, a solution would be to zip the Mac graphics by themselves, and then just include the zipped graphics in the Windows version, and have just one version, like is often done with BoE. That way you can update the scenario without redoing the graphics. I don't know why the community suddenly decided we need two versions of every scenario, but it's kind of silly.

Originally Posted By: Metatron
Okay, I uploaded V1.01 of Enemy at the Gates to "my" webspace, changing the dialog problems mentioned above. As of 3 am Pacific on 2/15, there is no Mac version.

The fix worked, missiles and all. I just copied the cmg file from the original.

Looking forward to the sequel!

For Niemand, or anyone else using his Graphic Adjuster tool, converting the graphics is as simple as opening Graphic Adjuster and choosing "Import graphics".

...well, okay, there's slightly more to it than that, but not much.

So don't feel bad about asking people to convert them. smile It takes virtually no time at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Enemy at the Gates could still use some reviews. And I really would like some chivalrous Mac user to do a Mac-compatible zip of the graphics. Please.

...wait, the version in the first post works fine, and has a totally-functional .cmg file. Is there an updated version that needs conversion?

If that is the case, shoot me an email and I'll have it done in no time. And I promise I'm quicker about converting graphics than I am at testing. tongue

The player base is very small. Three reviews for a relatively new scenario isn't that bad. I know they're nice to read and helpful, but the player base is so small that you can't expect a whole lot of support. You've got to make them for yourself.

That said, I'll give it a review when I play through it.

Wow Ephesos, that was fast. Thanks.

I suppose it's my own fault for showing up so late, that there are few players left. Hmm. I wonder if it's better for several designers to release scenarios together in an easily accessible package, or for all designers to stagger releases to avoid overloading the player market...

Also, I'll rate yours if you rate mine. wink

Quote:
. . . showing up so late, that there are few players left.

The number of players really hasn't shrunk all that much; I'd guess maybe a factor of 2 at worst. Keep in mind that the fraction of players who will write a review is also a good deal less than one; I think the SV CSR only ever had around a dozen active reviewers, almost none of whom reviewed anything like all of the scenarios.

Hmm. I wonder if it's better for several designers to release scenarios together in an easily accessible package...

I'm doing this, but with several of my own scenarios. tongue

Also, yes, I may as well start porting reviews now (and I'll write reviews for newer scenarios once I've done that).