*i

And that is game! Good work everybody! Congrats to our winners:

ANDRASTE as HAUNTING GALE

DUCK as RADIANT PEARL

RCCCL as BLADEWARDED MAGE

SARACHIM as NIGHTLY DOVE

SPOREFROG as ARCTIC FURY

Here's how the Northern Isles ended up:

* Gladwell reigns supreme over the Northern Isles. He becomes a power and establishes a quasi-state independent of Avernum. This is all thanks to the efforts of his legion of bound servants.

* The Darkside Loyalist menace has been soundly defeated. While they still lurk in the shadows, their opportunity at striking Avernum here has passed for now at least.

* The Anama shrine was half completed, but then its members were mostly wiped out. With the priest dead and no one to maintain it, it is soundly razed by the minions of Gladwell.

* Shanker was killed. The central island is used for commerce again, but it is all tightly controlled by the mighty wizard. Craftmaster Strine, for his vast assistance (getting three quarters of all trades!), is given much authority. The Alchemist has very little power. Oliver, was never seen period and is never heard from in the future either.

* Dionicio was successful in his bid to rout the Loyalists. However, his superiors do not look kindly on his assistance of Gladwell. Despite how well he performed, he, perhaps rightfully so, is considered a traitor by many. Thankfully, he is accepted in Gladwell's new kingdom and is a hero there.

* The Rebel also eliminated the required adversaries. Like Dionicio, he is at first heralded for his achievements. But as Gladwell takes power and exercises influence over the Abyss, his allies reconsider their opinion of him. Eventually, he leaves to rejoin the wizard.

* The Revenant has satisfied his goals in life and settled the score. He returns to his slumber in a special tomb under Gladwell's Tower. He resides there until Gladwell requires his service once more.

* The Pure Spirit performed admirably, but his efforts were just insufficient to give the Anama a necessary foothold. He escapes Gladwell's clutches and finds a home in an Anama settlement in the Eastern Gallery.

* The Battle Mage did little to establish her fame. She remains a nameless servant of Avernum. Eventually she is but another forgotten pile of bones along the road.

And that concludes Round 12! Detailed information to follow...

List of roles and identities...

Code:
1	Adventurer		W-Dueck		Self (12899)2	Alchemist		FBM		Emerald Bones	3	Anama Priest		Dikiyoba	Jade Halberd4	Craftmaster Strine	Duck		Radiant Pearl	5	Darkside Commander	Marlenny	Fallen Rook		6	Darkside Mage		Excalibur	Sorrow Scroll7	Dionicio		Sporefrog	Arctic Fury		8	Gladwell		Andraste	Haunting Gale	9	Oliver			Arancaytar	Lightning Ghost	10	Shanker			Xelgion		Azure Wizard11	Brigand			Nioca		Last Acolyte12	Rebel			Sarachim	Nightly Dove		13	Battle Mage		Rowen		Surefire Arrow		14	Revenant		RCCCL		Bladewarded Mage	15	Pure Spirt		Waterplant	Jasmine Rune	

The game log...

Code:
Day 1Darkside Mage examines BrigandDarkside Mage examines RebelRebel explores Gladwell's TowerRebel gets 20 coins, Shadow Leather, and Flawless CrystalGladwell learns Rebel's identityRebel hastes selfDionicio scans Remote IslandDionicio scans Webbed CavernBrigand explores Enchanted CaveBrigand receives 10 coins, herbs, healing potionShanker explores Fang Clan TunnelsShanker receives 10 coins, Fury Crossbow, HerbsAdventurer explores Abandoned MineAdventurer receives 20 coins, Flawless CrystalAdventurer explores Northern DocksAdventurer receives 20 coins, Blessing CrystalRebel trades CM Strine Flawless Crystal for Blessing CrystalGladwell scrys Crystal SpireGladwell learns no one has Crystal SpireBattle Mage explores Ruined OutpostBattle Mage receives 30 coins, Leather Armor, Flawless CrystalPure Spirit explores Mushroom FarmsPure Spirit receives 30 coins, SkribbaneDionicio explores Crystal CoveDionicio receives 10 coins, Flaming Sword, Flawless CrystalAnama Priest explores Shanker's RuinsAname Priest receives 20 coins, Antidote, HerbsBrigand trades CM Strine, herbs for 10 coinsBrigand examines CM StrineDarkside Commander examines RevenantDarkside Commander is weakenedDarkside Commander examines Pure SpiritAlchemist attempts to harvest Ruined Outpost, no herb groveRebel explores Shanker's TowerRebel receives 20 coins, herbs, research notesAdventurer examines CM StrinePure Spirit examines Anama PriestRevenant explores Webbed CavernRevenant receives 20 coins, HerbsDay 2Shanker researches Fury CrossbowShanker produces two research notesDarkside Mage curses BrigandBrigand receives cursed statusAdventurer attacks BrigandBrigand defeats AdventurerDionicio joins GladwellPure Spirit joins the AnamaAnama Priest receives 20 coinsCM Strine trades Rebel Null Rod for 20 coinsBrigand robs ShankerBrigand receives Fury Crossbow, Herbs, Research Notes, Research NotesAnama Priest builds Shrine componentDarkside Mage examines DionicioRebel gives Shadow Leather to DionicioDarkside Mage attacks DionicioDionicio defeats Darkside MageDionicio receives 40 coinsAlchemist harvests Mushroom Farms, receives two herbsBrigand builds Shrine componentPure Spirit builds Shrine componentPure Spirit examines DionicioBattle Mage explores Old WarrenBattle Mage receives 30 coins, SkribbaneRevenant attacks Pure SpiritRevenant defeats Pure SpiritDionicio explores Remote IslandDionicio receives 20 coins, herbsAnama Priest explores Fang Clan VillageAnama Priest receives 20 coins, Holy SymbolAlchemist trades with Revenant, 5 coins for HerbsDay 3Alchemist harvests 2 herbsBrigand gets 1 victory pointCM Strine gets 1 essenceShanker attacks RebelRebel defeats ShankerRebel receives 40 coinsCM Strine trades Alchemist, herbs for 20 coinsRevenant examines BrigandBrigand examines Darkside CommanderRebel joins GladwellCM Strine crafts Blessing CrystalCM Strine trades with Rebel, Blessing Crystal for HerbsCM Strine trades with Dionicio, 20 coins for Flawless CrystalGladwell gives Dread Curse to Darkside CommanderGladwell scrys Crystal SpireGladwell learns no one has Crystal SpireRevenant attacks BrigandRevenant defeats BrigandRevenant receives Fury CrossbowAnama Priest resurrects Pure SpirtDay 4Alchemist hervests 2 herbsCM Strine gets 2 essenceDionicio attacks Anama PriestDionicio defeats Anama PriestDionicio gets Holy SymbolRebel uses Blessing Crystal on GladwellGladwell uses research notes from Rebel's inventoryBatlte Mage uses Skribbane, becomes berserkGladwell reclaims towerGladwell receives Composite Longbow, Magic Ring, Haste Potion, Scroll of Slow, Wand of DeathBattle Mage attacks CM StrineCM Strine fleesCM Strine drains Flawless CrystalPure Spirit explores Stalagmite FieldPure Spirit receives 10 coins, Herbs, SwordCM Strine crafts Explorer's CharmCM Strine trades with Dionicio, Explorer's Charm for 15 coinsDionicio correctly IDs enough ImperialsGame Over

The battle log...

Code:
BATTLE 1W-Dueck (Adventurer) attacks Last Acolyte (Brigand)Brigand is enemies with everyoneINCORRECT ID made (Anama Priest)W-Dueck skill+2 Base Skill+1 Inherent+1 Warrior-1 Incorrect IDTOTAL = 3Last Acolyte skill+2 Base skill+1 WarriorTOTAL = 3Tie.  Defender wins ties.Last Acolyte defeats W-Dueck!BATTLE 2Sorrow Scroll (Darkside Mage) attacks Arctic Fury (Dionicio)Dionicio is enemies with DLsNO ID madeSorrow Scroll skill+2 Base skill+1 Inherent+1 Mage attribute+1 Darkside Loyalist attribute+2 StealthTotal = 7Arctic Fury skill+2 Base skill+2 Inherent+2 Flaming Sword+3 Bound attribute, Gladwell aliveTotal = 9Defender wins.Arctic Fury defeats Sorrow ScrollBATTLE 3Bladewarded Mage (Revenant) attacks Jasmine Rune (Pure Spirit)Revenant enemies b/c he must kill an ImperialNO ID madeBladewarded Mage skill+2 Base skill+2 Stealth attribute+3 Bound attribute, Gladwell aliveTotal = 7Jasmine Rune skill+2 Base skill+2 Inherent, joined Anama+1 Warrior attributeTotal = 5Attacker wins.Bladewarded Mage defeats Jasmine Rune!BATTLE 4Azure Wizard (Shanker) attacks Nightly Dove (Rebel)Rebel enemies b/c Shanker is a targetINCORRECT ID made (Brigand)Azure Wizard skill+2 Base skill+1 Mage attribute-1 Incorrect IDTotal = 2Nightly Dove skill+2 Base skillTotal = 2Tie.  Defender wins.Nightly Dove defeats Azure Wizard!BATTLE 5Bladewarded Mage (Revenant) attacks Last Acolyte (Brigand)Revenant enemies b/c he must kill and AverniteNO ID madeBladewarded Mage skill+2 Base skill+2 Stealth attribute+3 Bound attribute, Gladwell aliveTotal = 7Last Acolyte skill+2 Base skill+1 Warrior attribute+1 Anama Priest has Holy Symbol-25% Slowing attackTotal = 3Attacker wins!Bladewarded Mage defeats Last AcolyteBATTLE 6Arctic Fury (Dionicio) attacks Jade Halberd (Anama Priest)Anama Priest enemy w/ Dionicio b/c he is with GladwellNO ID madeArctic Fury skill+2 Base+2 Inherent+2 Stealth attribute+3 Bound attribute, Gladwell alive+1 Warrior attributeTotal = 10Jade Halberd skill+2 Base+3 Inherent Defense+1 Holy Symbol+1 Holy Symbol Inherent+1 WarriorTotal = 8Attacker wins!Arctic Fury kills Jade Halberd

Reflections...

The main Gladwell alliance did incredibly well. I do think the Anama team gave it a good shot, but really could not pull it out in the end. They did well, but were outplayed. Props to our new player Waterplant! Otherwise, the game was pretty uninteresting. Only one merchant (Strine) was active, and that really changed the game dynamics. Shanker and the other roles never really made anything happen. The Loyalists fell apart early on.

I do think the Bound status is overpowered. Had it not been for the ridiculous +3 skill, things would have unfolded much differently. Granted, had Gladwell been killed part way through the game, it would have really changed things. I think the Revenant also needs to be toned down and a few other tweaks made. Overall, I was pretty happy the way things went.

Also, this game was a little bad in that only one merchant was active. Had Oliver/Aran done anything, it would have changed the balance of power slightly.

Your thoughts?

Good game everyone smile

Unfortunately, inactivity seems to have plagued a few of the factions again. Do people not like getting the merchant roles, especially now that there are 3? I haven't gotten one in like 8+ games.

I would agree that maybe Gladwell's bonus needs to be bumped down to 2 or maybe even 1. 2 would not have affected the game from the looks of it, but 1 might have.

First of all I would just like to say thanks to *i for moderating this amazingly fun game. smile

So, while playing I came up with some ideas to improve the role of Craftmaster Strine (with some help from Sporefrog/Arctic Fury).

1. I think Strine should start with at least one more item at the start of the game to trade with, or perhaps just one Flawless Crystal at the very beginning. It was sort of hard to find Crystals early on, and I think this would make a lot easier, since you would have some essence to craft items to trade with. But then again, this might make it a little too easy, which is why I think this might be a better way to help Strine out:

2. Strine (and possibly other merchants) should be able to explore. This way he can find items to trade on his own, and might make it more exciting for the merchants, as they don't really get much action.

Those are just my thoughts.

In theory, the Brigand being enemies with everyone is sound. In practice, however, it means that the brigand is freakishly easy to kill, should someone take a swing on a mistaken impression. The only thing that kept me from getting killed on Day 2 was that w-dueck actually tried an ID. IMO, if the brigand is enemies with everyone, he should at least have a slightly better defense.

Rogue Mage also needs to be toned down. While she wasn't in the game, she's an easy join for Gladwell, and it provides her with 8 skill. At that point, with the addition of nullifying defensive statuses, she could pretty much bulldoze anyone that got in her way. And of course, there's the robbery, which makes the brigand role redundant.

Also, Gladwell learning the identity of those exploring his tower. While it makes sense, it also makes it so that he gets an edge on other factions, effectively starting with 2 servants.

Alright, now thoughts on the game.

Well, the Anama were pretty much screwed from the beginning, it seems. I was right about someone controlling the field from the sidelines, it seems I was just wrong about who. Also, nice to see I was right about Oliver.

I think, most importantly, that people need to be active in this. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like Jade was moving really slow in that first day (Sorry, Diki). Every time I tried to communicate with Surefire, it seemed he was offline. And it seemed Jasmine Rune and the rest of the Anama were on different schedules. I think it also would have turned out differently if Oliver had been active.

Another thing is that jumping the gun and attacking people without confirming information is a strong recipe for failure (*cough*Xelgion*cough*).

Good game, guys.

I chose merchants not being able to explore because of the complications that arise from having the Darkside Hideout. Besides, they are supposed to gain wealth through trades, not through the stuff everyone else does.

I do think Dionicio needs a better method for finding the thing. I'm open to ideas.

I'm thinking of going with Gladwell being skill +1 if alive and -2 if dead. It's a lot more mild. As for the Anama, perhaps +1 defense and the added victory condition.

I agree about the Rogue Mage/Revenant need to be toned down. I have some ideas for this.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like Jade was moving really slow in that first day (Sorry, Diki).

No, you're right. I spent far too much time scrambling to look up role information (which I should have done before the game started) and not enough time making contacts that first day, which meant I didn't spend moves as wisely as I could have and it was a lot easier for Gladwell's alliance to outplay us.

Still, Dikiyoba had fun. You and Waterplant were awesome people to be stuck with, and Dikiyoba hope you're not too annoyed at Dikiyoba.

It was fun having you in the game again, Diki smile I hope you stick around.

I really can't comment on the merchant roles. It sounds like it's hard for them to generate wealth to begin with, with regular players only getting two trades, and them starting with rather modest loot.

I had 100 coins and nothing to buy, but maybe that was simply because two of the merchants weren't doing much. Even Pearl, who won, had basically nothing much to offer.

Edit: Marlenny, next game, you and me need to be DLs, then we can get revenge.

I'm thinking of upping the amount of wealth each merchant begins. Perhaps rather than giving them items, give them essence, herbs, and coins appropriately. This allows them to customize their stocks on day 1.

I do think the problem was not having the other two merchants, especially Oliver. You will note that equipment aside from the Flaming Sword played no role in this entire game. He's designed to be the main equipment supplier whereas the other two give you the disposables for a quick boost. Also, Oliver can produce Flawless Crystals and Herbs for the other two merchants to help the commerce cycle.

In theory, the Brigand being enemies with everyone is sound. In practice, however, it means that the brigand is freakishly easy to kill, should someone take a swing on a mistaken impression. The only thing that kept me from getting killed on Day 2 was that w-dueck actually tried an ID. IMO, if the brigand is enemies with everyone, he should at least have a slightly better defense.

This is fair, but not the whole story. You played in your usual high-visibility, high-risk style, even though it didn't suit your role well. You told several different stories to different people and just generally made it clear that you were making stuff up (like when you started the rumor that I was Nociduas). Sooner or later, somebody was bound to come after you.

This style of play isn't wrong, but it's much better suited to roles that are strong on defense. The Pure Spirit and Anama Priest would both have been great here. In our faction, I played this role, because I could always flee as long as nobody ID'd me.

Also, Gladwell learning the identity of those exploring his tower. While it makes sense, it also makes it so that he gets an edge on other factions, effectively starting with 2 servants.

Assuming someone is prepared to take the risk of joining Gladwell blindly, yeah. Whatever the mechanical situation, this can be a big mistake if Gladwell isn't a good player. I think toning down the advantage of Gladwell will help here. If the skill bonus for joining had only been +1, I wouldn't have been so quick to seek him out.

Lastly, I was intensely amused to see that you were the Brigand. What did you think was going on? Did you know Sporefrog, RCCCL, and I were all working together? Did you think I was the Rogue Mage?

I didn't trust Radiant Pearl with trades because I thought he was Fae for most of the game. I was also faced with the challenge of what to do with no equipment other then my leather armor. Do you keep exploring to find a weapon or use the skribbane and attack someone?

What if the mod shop was brought back? How would that have affected this game?

Quote:
Assuming someone is prepared to take the risk of joining Gladwell blindly, yeah. Whatever the mechanical situation, this can be a big mistake if Gladwell isn't a good player. I think toning down the advantage of Gladwell will help here. If the skill bonus for joining had only been +1, I wouldn't have been so quick to seek him out.

This. By exploring Gladwell's Tower, you really are putting your most precious asset, your role ID, in the hands of another player. So yeah, if Gladwell is good, this can work beautifully. Of course, even a good Gladwell could decide the potential servant is not worth the risk of exposure and the role ID could be used as a bargaining chip. Remember, information is currency.

Quote:
I was also faced with the challenge of what to do with no equipment other then my leather armor. Do you keep exploring to find a weapon or use the skribbane and attack someone?

What if the mod shop was brought back? How would that have affected this game?

This problem would have been solved had Oliver been involved. I mean, anytime a player does not show up, there's going to be consternation. It's impossible to design a system with enough failsafes that don't step on each other.

Apologies to Excalibur for the massive DL FAIL. I realized that I just really don't work well on my own, I have to have someone with whom I've exchanging information back and forth. And so when you weren't around, I just started making dumb mistakes and ended up doing things like telling the freaking Dionicio I was a DL tongue

Advice for anyone playing Shanker, any one at all. Your first and most important goal should be to try and contact unaligned players and get them to be in your alliance. There are a lot of motivations from players to keep you alive (Merchants for example), and lots of players who you'd work well with. There's no reason to go on attacking people and getting yourself killed.

Great job to Duck. Although his inventory was kind of lame, He really went other there and tried to trade. Congratulations on the win.

I also absolutely loved my conversation with watermark, I hope you stick around. I'd love to play with you.

And Spore, we seriously need to be DLs together. If not, I'll be happy with being Nociduas and having you as a slave tongue

Originally Posted By: Sarachim

This is fair, but not the whole story. You played in your usual high-visibility, high-risk style, even though it didn't suit your role well. You told several different stories to different people and just generally made it clear that you were making stuff up (like when you started the rumor that I was Nociduas). Sooner or later, somebody was bound to come after you.

This style of play isn't wrong, but it's much better suited to roles that are strong on defense. The Pure Spirit and Anama Priest would both have been great here. In our faction, I played this role, because I could always flee as long as nobody ID'd me.

Two points, here:

1) I did not start the Nociduas rumor, though I did help spread it around.

2) It was either me or the Anama Priest, and I doubt that it'd be wise to have the Priest going around doing that. But at any rate, I had to get information somehow. Without role IDs, I couldn't rob.

Quote:
Lastly, I was intensely amused to see that you were the Brigand. What did you think was going on? Did you know Sporefrog, RCCCL, and I were all working together? Did you think I was the Rogue Mage?

Yeah, I did think you were the rogue mage. And no, I did not see that alliance coming. I'm starting to wonder if I just suck at this game.

Two points, here:

Ooh, interesting. Who did?

Yeah, I did think you were the rogue mage. And no, I did not see that alliance coming. I'm starting to wonder if I just suck at this game.

Nah, you just got a role that didn't match up well with your style. When that happens to me I lose pretty hard, like that time I was Vahkos.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Two points, here:

Ooh, interesting. Who did?

Excalibur, the Darkside Mage.

Quote:

Nah, you just got a role that didn't match up well with your style. When that happens to me I lose pretty hard, like that time I was Vahkos.

My style's starting to look a lot like "Play Machrone to Win". tongue

I began that rumor. It was more or less an attempt to get more info from w-dueck, which didn't work at all.

Originally Posted By: Marlenny
Apologies to Excalibur for the massive DL FAIL. I realized that I just really don't work well on my own, I have to have someone with whom I've exchanging information back and forth. And so when you weren't around, I just started making dumb mistakes and ended up doing things like telling the freaking Dionicio I was a DL tongue

It was a mutual fail. I was mistaken in attacking Sporefrog, who I had thought was the Brigand. And yeah, it didn't help that I was away for twelve hours either.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur

Originally Posted By: Marlenny

It was a mutual fail. I was mistaken in attacking Sporefrog, who I had thought was the Brigand. And yeah, it didn't help that I was away for twelve hours either.

It also didn't help that I went and picked the freaking revenant as the first person to investigate. Oh well, there's always the next game.

To Sporefrog: lol.

Nioca, we had so much fun throwing disinformation your way! tongue The fact that you were the Brigand is hilarious.

For those who don't know, Sarachim and I started feeding this line about Dove(Sarachim) being the Brigand. Sarachim started by telling Nioca that he'd robbed me. Nioca came and asked me if I had been robbed. To which I replied, "Yes, how did you know this?." Nioca told me that he had been told by the Brigand(trying to be sneaky yourself, huh Nioca wink ). He then proceded to give me Dove's name.

BTW, Sarachim, your way of listing known roles is a give away to you as a player.

@ Nioca and some other dude: It wouldn't of mattered. Looking back at the roles, I had no idea who anyone was (except Strine, who was doing his own thing), and a person who I thought was the pure spirit was the DL Commander. I got info from 2 sources that I thought were reliable. But no point in trying to make excuses, I think I just suck at NI.

Eh, I kinda sucked this game a lot. Think I was over-cautious about it and not really being around yesterday didn't help. Though I would echo the statement that being unable to explore made things very difficult at the start - it was only towards the end of the second day that I managed to get a hold of any herbs. Despite knowing the location of another at the start of that day, but which had gone unexplored due to a death.

That said, I'm slightly confused in regards to that, as I believe the rules state that a location has to be explored to be able to harvest and continue harvesting from it, but I still received herbs at the start of day 4, despite the Mushroom Farm falling unexplored when Jasmine died?

Quote:
Eh, I kinda sucked this game a lot. Think I was over-cautious about it and not really being around yesterday didn't help.

That happens. I think your play style would have been ideal for a different role. Overall, you just made a couple mistakes early on and did get a little unlucky. That's part of any game, however. It usually takes a few games for people to figure things out.

Quote:
That said, I'm slightly confused in regards to that, as I believe the rules state that a location has to be explored to be able to harvest and continue harvesting from it, but I still received herbs at the start of day 4, despite the Mushroom Farm falling unexplored when Jasmine died?

I messed up and forgot that he explored that. I'll probably take out the condition that it needs to be explored so it's one less thing to keep track of.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Still, Dikiyoba had fun. You and Waterplant were awesome people to be stuck with, and Dikiyoba hope you're not too annoyed at Dikiyoba.

It was difficult also that I am in Europe and most of the action takes place between midnight and 3am. I know this for next time and can be better prepared for lates. We could have done some things differently but coming up against +3 for Gladwell's followers was always going to be tough. More aggressive recruiting from us may have balanced the game a bit.
Not annoyed at all, Diki. Good effort team Anama.

I think the Anama did all right by the standards of the average game. Granted, Gladwell acquired a very talented group of people early on, so you guys were largely outplayed. This happens.

At the risk of endlessly droning on this, I will lower the benefit for Gladwell and add some to the Anama. In this game, Gladwell had too much to offer and the Anama too little. This was because of me overcorrecting from Gladwell's weaknesses in the prior games. As was pointed out to me by Sarachim, the biggest benefit to joining is getting a dedicated ally. The bonus need only be there to sweeten the deal a bit rather than change the balance of the game.

I think I came up with a good idea to make the Merchant roles a bit better without letting them explore: once per game they can try to correctly identify the Adventurer, and if they're correct they can compel them to explore a location of the merchant's choice. All items gained are given to the Merchant. This takes up one task of the Adventurer, and does not work if all of his tasks for the day are gone.

That could lead to some rather hilarious results with Gladwell or Nociduas.

"Hey! What jerk just compelled my adventurer?!?"

Actually, that brings up an interesting question. If a servant of Gladwell died, but was resurrected by Nociduas, and both compelled them to do something, what would happen? Would each half of the character meander off to complete each task? tongue

Duck, interesting idea, but a little too complicated for my tastes. We already have enough complex stuff. tongue

I think the easiest way is just to have the merchants start out with a large enough stock of herbs, essence, or coins and just let them make their inventory. This gives them a bit more flexibility on the first day.

Also, Gladwell no longer compels.