Your money gathering methods?

Originally Posted By: Dantius
...this is (regrettably) the way to play Jeff's games. Lug useless stuff around to sell at a later date, and steal anything that can be stolen. Steal things that can't be stolen, too, just for good measure.
Hey, don't knock it, it works. Speaking as a pack rat, anything in Jeff's games should be stolen if it's worth selling when you need the cash. A few points in Barter wouldn't hurt either, if you're playing A1-3, (minor spoiler) especially since Fort Duvno has the best selling prices for the Eastern Gallery in A1.

Also, I find that killing giants is an excellent source of cash in the first Avernum trilogy.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
keep food, potions, scrolls, wands and sell rest you don't need.

You can probably sell most of that stuff, too. Potions I keep, but any scroll or wand that duplicates a spell I already have gets cashed in. And you don't need to keep very much food.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves

You can probably sell most of that stuff, too. Potions I keep, but any scroll or wand that duplicates a spell I already have gets cashed in. And you don't need to keep very much food.

only potions i kept were healing potions+elixirs and knowledge potions+brews and 1 or 2 other potions, scrolls and wands i sold unless it was some special attack which wasn't available on spells/prayers, food i kept all to near end of game then cashed it all. all leather armors etc got cashed nearly immediately.

Well, no. You shouldn't be dependent on energy potions, although there's nothing really wrong with using them. But first, consider cutting back on excessive casting and, more importantly, look into boosting your energy reserves.

—Alorael, who misses the original trilogy days of mage-priests having excessive energy from the rather forgiving energy calculation formula.

Originally Posted By: Geneforgeisformeyukkyu
Should I buy any energy potions for my priests/mages? I tend to run out of energy on them very fast frown.

There are few places where it's not possible to step outside and recharge if you have the patience. If you are willing to do that and save your potions until you really need them, you can probably get by with the potions you find and/or steal.

Assuming you are investing heavily in mage and/or priest skills and intelligence.

Originally Posted By: Geneforgeisformeyukkyu
Should I buy any energy potions for my priests/mages? I tend to run out of energy on them very fast frown.

yes and then get your casters intelligence higher and stop trying to kill all enemies with mages/priests, only against large groups or tough enemies casters are needed otherwise fighters can kill enemies.

Originally Posted By: A Walk by Rainlight
—Alorael, who misses the original trilogy days of mage-priests having excessive energy from the rather forgiving energy calculation formula.
I thank goodness for that every time I play the first trilogy, because my spell-heavy playing style demands a huge energy reserve. And combined with the fact that your spell energy replenished twice as fast as your health, a mage/priest can do some serious damage without ever having to rest too much.

hoard hoard hoard, change script to allow easier hoarding, then sell anything with a value wich is a multiple of 4, those that are not I sell only in batches of multiples of 4 to maximize profit.

(second run thoruogh in A5 to join dark-side I changed value of all kwoledge and wisdom and mandrake to 1, so they'll be easier to get and so I won't sell them by mistake)

• 1 month later...

I never bother about Barter in A1 and A2 because Healers offer you 60% of the face value without any barter skill and a low reputation. In A3 I buy a few levels of barter and sell only to Grove in Shamirik, Kendra in Lorelei or Stern in Gale. (They give the best prices in thier area.)

The only potions I ever use (exept healing potions very early on in the game) are Knowledge Brews and Enery Potions/Elixirs. The latter are necessary in some dungeons later on in the games.

Originally Posted By: Catweasle
I never bother about Barter in A1 and A2 because Healers offer you 60% of the face value without any barter skill and a low reputation. In A3 I buy a few levels of barter and sell only to Grove in Shamirik, Kendra in Lorelei or Stern in Gale. (They give the best prices in thier area.)
Barter gets you better prices when you sell stuff. The more you have (up to a point), the better the price until just about every shop is a good place to sell items. I don't think it has any effect on how much healers charge.

Barter is one of the first skills I buy. This is because I usually spend 90% of the game extremely cash-strapped, and therefore need to get the most money for my goods.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
I don't think it has any effect on how much healers charge.

It has not got anything to do with what the healers charge. In A1 and A2 they will BUY your stuff! (Look at the Inventory panel and you see the price.) There are enough healers around that you just do not need barter.