Northern Isles Game 11

*i

The end is now clear. Game over. Here is the future of the Northern Isles:

* Shanker was able to reestablish her colony with a successful trading post in the Northern Isles. The main island prospers and Shanker continues in her research.

* Oliver, through an act of extreme charity, manages to be successful. Nonetheless, people are always suspicious of his skill because he begged his way to success. However, he does well.

* The Hedge Wizard did a lot of good stuff and succeeded in earning a little bit of fame. He journeys on and eventually settles down somewhere in Avernum.

* Machrone writes an excellent story on the ongoings of the Northern Isles. Sales of his newspaper boom.

* The Sacred Item Cultist returns to his faraway temple with a bounty of artifacts. He receives hard earned respect.

* Craftmaster Strine traded admirably, but was not as successful as Oliver because of his own undoing. He donated more than he could bare to Oliver and ended up going out of business. Nonetheless, despite his weakness in arithmetic, he does find a place in Shanker's community, but is not as successful as Oliver. He is forever bitter.

* The Anama Priest made absolutely no progress and is a disgrace to his order. He is expelled from the Anama and lives out his days in poverty preaching about the evils of magic.

* The Infiltrator did not do much either and Avernites dominate the land. He moves on to other places and causes minor troubles there.

* Dionicio did nothing also and because of the Infiltrator escaping his grasp, gets thrown into a cage and put on display by his twisted superior Levitt. Eventually, he gets let go, but lives the rest of his life in disgrace.

Congrats to our winners:

Marlenny as Lightning Ghost

W-Dueck as Sorrow Scroll

Sarachim as Jade Halberd

Excalibur as Jasmine Rune

Thuryl as Surefire Arrow

List of players:

Code:
1	Anama Priest		TM		Shadow Tear2	Bound Servant		Rowen		Fallen Rook3	Darkside Commander	Creator		Haunting Gale4	Darkside Mage		Sporefrog	Azure Wizard5	Dionicio		Monroe		Self		6	Gladwell		Andraste	Nightly Dove7	Machrone		Marlenny 	Lightning Ghost8	Micklebur		Spddin Ignis	Self9	Oliver			W-Dueck		Sorrow Scroll10	Shanker			Sarachim	Jade Halberd	11	Adventurer		Xelgion		Last Acolyte12	Craftmaster Strine	RCCCL		Radiant Pearl13	Hedge Wizard		Excalibur	Jasmine Rune14	Infiltrator		Alec		Bladewarded Mage	15	Sacred Item Cultist	Thuryl		Surefire Arrow16	Skribbane Addict	Duck		Arctic Fury

The game log...

Code:
Day 1Shanker trades 20 coins with Oliver for Explorer's CharmSacred Item Cultist scrys Enchanted CaveSacred Item Cultist scrys Gladwell's TowerShanker explores Shanker's Ruins: North TowerShanker gets Magic Ring, Healing Potion, Herbs, 25 coinsShanker gets 20 cons for unaligned explorerSacred Item Cultist explores Fang Clan TunnelsSacred Item Cultist gets Disruption Shard, Eye of Hawk, 25 coinsOliver explores Shanker's Island: TownsiteOliver gets Heroic Brew, Shadow LeatherShanker gets 20 coins for unaligned explorerHedge Wizard explores Fang Clan VillageHedge Wizard gets Leather Armor, Poison Potion, Herbs, 10 coinsShanker uses Explorer's CharmShanker explores Enchanted CaveShanker gets Null Rod, Skribbane, Holy SymbolHedge wizard crafts Explorer's CharmHedge Wizard uses Explorer's CharmHedge Wizard explorers Shanker's Ruins: MineHedge Wizard gets Cavewood Bow, Antidote, 25 coinsAdventurer explores Webbed CavernAdventurer gets Potion of Clarity, Herbs, Flaming SwordDarkside Mage examines Skribbane AddictDarkside Mage examines Bound ServantMachrone examines ShankerAdventurer explores Old WarrenAdventurer gets Buckler, Resurrection Balm, HerbsCraftmaster Strine explores Gladwell's TowerCraftmaster Strine gets Leather Armor, Fury Crossbow, HerbsGladwell learns identity of Craftmaster StrineMachrone asks question to the ModeratorDarkside Commander trades 20 coins for spear with OliverCraftmaster Strine drains Fury CrossbowCraftmaster Strine trades Blessing Crystal for 10 coins with OliverSkribbane Addict explores Abanded MineSkribbane Addict gets Composite Longbow, Potion of Clarity, 10 coinsBound Servant explores Remote IslandBound Servant gets Buckler, Skribbane, 25 coinsMachrone examines Skribbane AddictAdventurer sells Herbs to Moderator for 15 coinsOliver gives Shadow Leather to Sacred Item CultistBound Servant buys spear for 30 coinsCraftmaster Strine buys buckler for 15 coinsDay 2Darkside Commander attacks Bound ServantDarkside Commander defeats Bound ServantDarkside Commander gets Buckler, Skribbane, Spear, 15 coinsAdventurer attacks Craftmaster StrineCraftmaster Strine fleesSacred Item Cultist buys Antidote for 15 coinsDionicio buys Sword for 15 coinsShanker trades 20 coins for Explorer's CharmShanker buys Poison Potion for 30 coinsDarkside Mage buys Leather Armor for 15 coinsDarkside Mage examines ShankerCraftmaster Strine crafts Box of Traps, Blessing CrystalSkribbane Addict explores Crystal CoveSkribbane Addict gets Blessing Crystal, Explorer's Charm, 25 coinsHedge Wizard explores Remote IslandHedge Wizard gets Ivory Skull, Disruption ShardSacred Item Cultist steals Flaming Sword from AdventurerAdventurer gives Machrone Resurrection BalmShanker uses Poison Potion on Darkside CommanderDarkside Commander poisonedSkribbane Addict buys sword for 15 coinsMachrone answers questionDarkside Mage attacks Sacred Item CultistSacred Item Cultist defeats Darkside MageDay 3Shanker wards Sacred Item CultistShanker gives Holy Symbol to Craftmaster StrineSkribbane Addict uses Blessing CrystalSkribbane Addict attacks GladwellGladwell defeats Skribbane AddictHedge Wizard attacks AdventurerHedge Wizard defeats AdventurerMicklebur buys Cavewood BowMicklebur buys Leather ArmorMachrone answers questionsCraftmaster Strine trades Box of Traps and Blessing Crystal for 30 coins with Sacred Item CultistDarkside Commander attacks GladwellDarkside Commander defeats GladwellDarkside Commander gets 20 coinsDarkside Commander dies form poisonSacred Item Cultist explores Dead SwampSacred Item Cultist gets Sword, Box of Traps, HerbsDay 4Hedge WIzard explores Webbed CavernHedge Wizard gets Herbs, 25 coinsHedge Wizard crafts Shielding CrystalHedge Wizard uses Shielding CrystalHedge WIzard is protectedCraftmaster Strine crafts disruption crystal, shielding crystalMicklebur attacks Sacred Item CultistSacred Item Cultist defeats MickleburShanker explores Haunted HutShanker gets Mace, Antidote, 25 coinsSacred Item Cultist uses Box of TrapsCraftmaster Strine trades Disruption Shard to Shanker for Mace, Skribbane, and Null RodCraftmaster Strine trades Holy Symbol and Flaming Sword to Sacred Item Cultist for Eye of Hawk, Disruption Shard, Sword, and Flaming SwordShanker trades 40 coins with Oliver for Heroic BrewMachrone answers questionCraftmaster Strine drains Flaming SwordMachrone asks questionSacred Item Cultist explores Mushroom FarmsSacred item Cultist gets Cavewood Bow, Ivory Skull, HerbsDay 5Shanker uses Explorer's Charm, explores Sulfurous AlcoveShanker gets Shield, HerbsShanker discovers Loyalist HideoutMachrone answers questionCraftmaster Strine crafts Blessing Crystal, Shielding CharmCraftmaster Stine gives Sacred Item Cultist Fury Crossbow and Flaming SwordShanker explores Stalagmite FieldShanker gets Spear, Antidote, 10 coinsHedge Wizard explores Northern DocksHedge Wizard gets Resistance Potion, Skribbane, 25 coinsCraftmaster Strine trades Blessing Crystal, Shielding Crystal with Shanker for Antidote, Heroic Brew, ShieldOliver trades Heroic Brew, Blessing Crystal, Composite Longbow with Craftmaster Strine for 120 coinsGame Over

The battle log...

Code:
BATTLE 1Haunting Gale (Darkside Commander) attacks Fallen Rook (Bound Servant) on Day 2Bound Servant is enemy with DL Commander b/c he is AverniteNo ID madeDL Commander Skill+2 (Base skill)+3 (Inherent)+1 (DL attribute)+2 (Spear, opponent not mage)+1 (Inherent weapon bonus)+1 (Warrior attribute, Bound Servant not a mage)-1 (Opponent has buckler)Total = 9Bound Servant Skill+2 (Base skill)+1 (Inherent)+1 (Leather Armor, armor bonus, Anama Hunter not a mage)+1 (Bound attribute)Total = 5Attacker wins.DL Commander kills Bound Servant!BATTLE 2Azure Wizard (Darkside Mage) attacks Surefire Arrow (Sacred Item Cultist) on Day 2Darkside Mage is enemy with Sacred Item Cultist b/c he is AverniteNo ID madeDefender has Stealth and Shadow Leather, switch attacker vs. defender for calculationsDL Mage Skill (as Defender)+2 (Base skill)+1 (Inherent)+1 (Darkside Loyalist attribute)+1 (Mage attribute)Total = 5Sacred Item Cultist (as Attacker)+2 (Base skill)+2 (Stealth attribute)+1 (Mage attribute)+2 (Inherent, Artifact Bonus)Total = 7(True) Defender winsSacred Item Cultist kills DL MageBATTLE 3Arctic Fury (Skribbane Addict) attacks Nightly Dove (Gladwell) on Day 3Skribbane Addict is enemy with Gladwell b/c Skribbane Addict hates everyoneCorrect ID madeSkribbane Addict skill+2 (Base skill)+1 (Correct ID)+1 (Blessed)+1 (Sword)+2 (Composite Longbow)7 * 50% Skill = 3 (Weak attribute)Skill = 3Gladwell+2 (Base skill)+1 (Mage attribute)Skill = 3Tie.  Defender wins.Gladwell kills Skribbane AddictBATTLE 4Jasmine Rune (Hedge Wizard) attacks Last Acolyte (Adventurer) on Day 3Hedge Wizard is enemy with Adventurer b/c Adventurer is a targetCorrect ID madeHedge Wizard skill+2 (Base skill)+1 (correct ID)+1 (Inherent)+1 (Warrior attribute, opponent NOT mage)+1 (Mage attribute)-1 (Opponent has Buckler)Skill = 5Adventurer Skill+2 (Base skill)+1 (Inherent)Skill = 3Attacker wins.Hedge Wizard kills Adventurer!BATTLE 5Haunting Gale (Darkside Commander) attacks Nightly Dove (Gladwell) on Day 3Haunting Gale is enemy with Gladwell b/c he is AverniteCorrect ID madeDL Commander Skill:+2 (Base Skill)+1 (Correct ID)+3 (Inherent)+1 (DL attribute)+1 (DL correct ID bonus)+1 (Spear, attacking mage)+1 (Inherent, attack with weapon)Skill = 10Gladwell Skill:+2 (Base Skill)+1 (Mage)Skill = 3Attacker wins.DL Commander defeats GladwellBATTLE 6Spddin Ignis (Micklebur) attacks Surefire Arrow (Sacred Item Cultist on Day 4Micklebur is enemy with SIC b/c he is mageNo ID madeSIC has Shadow Leather, role of attacker and defender switchesMicklebur (defending)+2 (Base Skill)+1 (Inherent)Total = 3Sacred Item Cultist (attacking)+2 (Base skill)+1 (Mage attribute)+2 (Stealth attribute)+2 (Inherent, artifact bonus)Total = 7Defender wins.Sacred Item Cultist defeats Micklebur

All right, this game was weird because both factions did not really do a whole lot. In fact, we had several players who did just about nothing. This made it interesting, but ultimately unsatisfying.

On the other hand, the merchants worked quite well. Aside from the catchup bit at the end with Oliver, both he and Strine did what was intended. Had Strine not decided to bail out Oliver, ironically, he would have won. Shanker is probably a bit too easy now and there will be more tweaks to balance.

I think we're getting closer to having a better game. I do think there need to be key improvements for several characters to force them to be more active. Thanks everyone for playing! smile

This was a great game.

First apologies to Xelgion, I was intending to resurrect you, but given the time you died, you would have not been able to win anyways. I thought you played well, and I was happy to have you as an ally.

The DLs' demise was entirely due to the Blademaster pretending to be Shanker. Next time, don't try to put an empire against another empire, empire roles are your friend. Get to them before they ally themselves to the avernites. The infiltrator being inactive didn't help either. With that said, shame to TM and Alec for their inactivity.

I hated being the Adventurer. It has lots of enemies, the victory conditions are quite demanding, it makes it hard to trust anyone, since all factions who you don't explain yourself immediately to you will probably get rid of you out of fear you want to assassinate their leader... I honestly thing the task of being able to explore 2 regions is insufficient.

Originally Posted By: Last Acolyte
I hated being the Adventurer. It has lots of enemies, the victory conditions are quite demanding, it makes it hard to trust anyone, since all factions who you don't explain yourself immediately to you will probably get rid of you out of fear you want to assassinate their leader... I honestly thing the task of being able to explore 2 regions is insufficient.

I've always dreaded getting adventurer myself, just from looking at the victory conditions. I've never actually been adventurer though, so I can't comment. I think other people have done quite well at it.

I believe Marlenny means Commander not Blademaster smile And yes, I think the DLs did the only thing they needed to not do: raise suspicion of themselves. Keeping quiet or befriending known empires would've both been better.

Originally Posted By: Last Acolyte

The Adventurer was identical in game 10, when he won relatively easily.

Keep in mind that, while being dangerous to all factions is a problem, being open to all factions is an advantage.

Furthermore, only about 1/4 of the people in a game win. Win conditions are supposed to be demanding. The easy roles are the ones we do the most rebalancing with.

For what it's worth I had loads of fun with my role, even though I didn't have to do much except make sure my allies were working with me to feed my items, and then stand around while my enemies broke themselves against me. (Well, poisoning Haunting Gale after he claimed to be Shanker and stuck to that claim against all evidence was my idea too.)

By the way, DLs, a tip for you: next time let the Commander do the attacking, not the Mage.

Originally Posted By: *i
On the other hand, the merchants worked quite well. Aside from the catchup bit at the end with Oliver, both he and Strine did what was intended. Had Strine not decided to bail out Oliver, ironically, he would have won.

I think the merchants still need some work if your goal is to prevent them from giving and receiving charity without preventing them from making honest trades. For example, at the moment the way artifacts interact with other shop items is sort of screwy: since they nominally have no value and don't count as part of the shop, you can't trade an item for an artifact with a shopkeeper unless you include another item or money in the trade.

Speaking of artifacts, the weapons and the Crystal Spire could probably stand to be made a little more interesting. I'll brainstorm some ideas later. (We already have ideas for the Shadow Leather, of course.)

Honestly I still think price caps are the wrong way to prevent charity to merchants. If I'm poisoned and Oliver is the only one willing to give me an antidote, it's not charity when I pay him 50 coins for it.

A random thought on my role: only four of the artifacts were discovered in this game. I did well because I found the location of two artifacts early on, but it'd sort of suck for the SIC and other artifact-dependent roles if all the artifacts weren't discovered just because they were in areas nobody explored.

Originally Posted By: Surefire Arrow

By the way, DLs, a tip for you: next time let the Commander do the attacking, not the Mage.

Honestly, the only reason it mattered was because the shadow leather single-handedly won all your battles. Think about it on a role with both stealth and mage. Mage ignores armor, stealth has high attack but low defense. Shadow leather makes it so all the downsides of being mage and stealth evaporate. The commander still would have lost attacking you.

Okay...then what do you propose for fixing charity?

I do not want to see any 120 coin trades on the last day that don't help anyone.

Make coins rarer or more important to other roles so that they can't so easily afford to give charity. The problem that leads to charity in the first place is that most roles have coins that they have little use for. Coins are given away cheaply because people don't value them highly.

The problem comes down to the late game. Inevitably, you will have people who have won and probably acquired a bit of coins through normal parts of the game. At this point, there is no incentive not to help others win. I'm not sure how one can fix this.

The other idea is capping inventories. However, I don't have a good mechanic for it.

Sporefrog: I considered it this time around. However, I would rather not go down this route because it is difficult to parse what is and is not charity since I can't read the minds of the players doing it.

Originally Posted By: Sporefrog
Honestly, the only reason it mattered was because the shadow leather single-handedly won all your battles. Think about it on a role with both stealth and mage. Mage ignores armor, stealth has high attack but low defense. Shadow leather makes it so all the downsides of being mage and stealth evaporate. The commander still would have lost attacking you.

The commander is still allowed an armour bonus against mages, it's one of his special attributes. He'd have needed decent equipment but he certainly could have beaten me.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Okay...then what do you propose for fixing charity?

I do not want to see any 120 coin trades on the last day that don't help anyone.

Make coins rarer or more important to other roles so that they can't so easily afford to give charity. The problem that leads to charity in the first place is that most roles have coins that they have little use for. Coins are given away cheaply because people don't value them highly.

I'm not sure I agree with this, though it probably is highly role-dependent. I think what leads to charity is people's desire to let as many people win as possible. We don't typically ruthlessly kill neutral but disposable roles when we're in a position of power.

The problem comes down to the late game. Inevitably, you will have people who have won and probably acquired a bit of coins through normal parts of the game. At this point, there is no incentive not to help others win. I'm not sure how one can fix this.

How is that different from any other role? I mean, Strine had no incentive to give me back the Flaming Sword I gave him except that I asked him to promise to give it back when I gave it to him. But if he wanted to sit on it and make me lose, he could have. Does that mean I received charity?

I honestly still think the price caps are a solution in search of a problem. If you want to make it harder for the merchants to win, raise the gold requirements to take into account the amount of charity they normally receive.

As Sporefrog noted, all charity wins, including those for non-merchants, occur when somebody has already won and is feeling generous. Could we devise a mechanic to discourage this? Maybe some kind of poiny system, in which you score higher when fewer people win?

Originally Posted By: Jade Halberd
As Sporefrog noted, all charity wins, including those for non-merchants, occur when somebody has already won and is feeling generous. Could we devise a mechanic to discourage this? Maybe some kind of poiny system, in which you score higher when fewer people win?

Please let's not do this, we don't want to encourage players to make others lose more than we already do. I sincerely don't believe that charity is as big a problem as *i is making it out to be even though I see where he's coming from.

Heh, silly mistake on my part, I though the game was gonna end tomorrow at midnight. Ah, well. I totally suspected there was an infiltrator, too. Man, mean ending, Stareye, real cold. Did I wrong you in a past life or something?

Yes, my strategy was to do nothing until towards the end of the game, meaning I was gonna do stuff on Monday. I had even been stockpiling things to do it with. My whole auctioning off of my role was a scam. I was gonna tell everyone they won, which I did, then take their items and leave them with nothing, maybe I'd kill them for fun as well. But then Shanker approached me with a great offer: nothing. Well, he told me the DLs were dead, which was great, so I told him my role and was biding my time until Monday, when I would have arranged for the deaths of the unknown roles. Of course, I misread when the game was ending, my bad. tongue

As for my general inactiveness, I blame the new combat style. I find it highly discouraging as far as attacking people. Given how fast I died last game, I wasn't about to risk putting myself out there to discover people's roles, then attack a DL after much preparation, only to discover that he started with a shield or armor in his inventory, making it all for nothing.

On the bright side, doing nothing certainly did get me much, much closer to victory than trying and doing stuff did. Interesting. Now I know how that girl who won the last season of Survivor did it.

Originally Posted By: Monroe
Heh, silly mistake on my part, I though the game was gonna end tomorrow at midnight.

Now this is a point. We should probably quote start and end dates and times as of 11:59 PM rather than 12:00 AM just to make sure there's no room for confusion.

Originally Posted By: Monroe
On the bright side, doing nothing certainly did get me much, much closer to victory than trying and doing stuff did. Interesting. Now I know how that girl who won the last season of Survivor did it.

This worked pretty well for me. The trick is that you have to know the right way to do nothing. Wu wei all the way.

I was confused by the start time as well, though I should really pay more attention. I ended up starting a few hours late, but that had no impact.

Everything fell into place for me. I got all the information I needed from about three people, and I learned who the Adventurer was and easily disposed of him. Being lucky is awfully boring, as I never had to think critically, and I even neglected the chart I make for every game.

Quote:
As for my general inactiveness, I blame the new combat style. I find it highly discouraging as far as attacking people. Given how fast I died last game, I wasn't about to risk putting myself out there to discover people's roles, then attack a DL after much preparation, only to discover that he started with a shield or armor in his inventory, making it all for nothing.

I don't particularly like the new combat style, either. Had I won the fight with Gladwell, I might have gone on to win this time... but that wasn't entirely the combat system's fault; I forgot that my Weak attribute halved my power. tongue

I, for one, did not like the anonymous accounts. I don't know, it's just easier to pick out my allies when I know who they are. And it seems that I'm the only one who bothered to make an anonymous AIM account. I missed being able to chat outside of the crappy PM system. tongue

Duck, you died because you were the skribbane addict and attacked someone without skribbane. I guess you could say this was the new combat system, but I see this more trying the play a role in a way it was not intended.

I like the new combat system because it makes defense stronger than offense. Attacking is now a risky strategy, and you need to be ready for it. The direction I want to take this game still involves some death, but not the massive bloodbaths we saw in the earlier games. Ideally, I would like around half of the players to survive until the end of the game.

As for anonymous accounts, I do think they helped. I also think they worked when they were most important: the beginning of the game. You see, people have a habit of making a beeline to certain other individuals that they have worked with in previous games. This tends to favor certain pairings of players rather than roles, which I see as no good. This helps with that, at least in the initial stages of the game. I don't think I want to make them mandatory, but I still think those that want them should have them.

Duck, I hate to say this, but they helped you too. In previous games, few people even bothered to talk to you because of your past performance. This is not fair to you. At least here, people talked to you, have you a chance, and now see that you are definitely improving.

It is your prerogative to make the game as you feel it should be, but for the record, I was a big fan of the bloodbaths. The think it should be more of a last man standing thing, rather than have a bunch of losers alive at the end with the winners.

Death alone is not enough, though. Wouldn't have complained so much my first game had I died fighting someone, rather than by a trap. And this time, I just didn't feel confident enough to attack, knowing the odd item would undo even carefully thought out tactics. I like the idea of having the bonus for knowing the enemy's role, and the bonus for attacking an enemy, but if I had to make one recommendation for the game this round, it would be to nix the sword and shield type items. Just where I stand, is all.

As for the anonymity, the one thing it did for me was make it much easier to be merciless. I mean, I was gonna rip people off for their items this game. I don't think I could have done that in my earlier one where I know who I was playing with. So I kinda liked the anonymity.

I am restructuring things a bit again. The role assignments will be different:

Slots 1-10: Adventurer, Alchemist, Anama Priest, Craftmaster Strine, Dionicio, Darkside Commander, Darkside Mage, Gladwell, Oliver, Shanker.

Slot 11: Random Mage

Slot 12: Random Imperial

Slot 13-16: Random Role

Note that Machrone, Bound Servant, and Micklebur are gone. The faction leaders will instead receive a randomly chosen faction member from slots 11-16. Should make things interesting. Also, all three merchants are now in every game.

Merchants will no longer have separate inventories for shops. Everything will be mixed together. The focus will no longer be on the value of the trades, but the quantity of them relative to the rest of the trading that goes on. Merchants must now always trade for profit (artifacts will be worth 40).

Some proposed role descriptions for the required roles:

Adventurer

Nationality: Avernum

Attributes: Archer, Warrior

Inherent: +1 base skill. Additional +2 skill when attacking a faction leader (Anama Priest, Gladwell, or Darkside Commander). Receive a 60 coin reward if you kill a faction leader.

Ability: None.

Tasks: Bonus Explore. May explore one location for free each day.

Rob Merchant. Once per day, if you correctly identify a merchant, you will steal all items (except coins, herbs, and flawless crystals) from a merchant. If incorrect, the target will learn you identity. May only target each person once and you may not trade with that merchant thereafter.

Victory: Do three of the following:

1) Kill any faction leader

2) Hold any two artifacts at the end of the game

3) Rob all merchants in the game and get at least 100 coins worth of loot from this.

4) Join a faction and have its leader win

5) Explore at least one-third (rounded up) of explored locations

Alchemist

Attributes: Merchant, Weak

Inherent: You receive infinite trades per day, but may only trade items for a profit (greater than base value). You may not attack or explore land. You begin the game with two potions of low value.

Abilities: Brew Potions. May convert any herbs you have into potions. Number of herbs required is the nominal value of the potion divided by 10, except for the resurrection balm which requires 10 herbs to produce.

Tasks: Harvest Herbs. Target an explored location. If this location has an Herb Grove, you will receive 2 herbs and will continue to do so at the start of every day until it becomes unexplored.

Victory: If Shanker is alive, need to be involved in at least 25 percent of the trades (gifts or trades between merchants do not count). If she is dead, you need involvement in at least 40 percent.

Anama Priest

Attributes: Anama, Warrior

Inherent: If you are attacked, your skill is +3. If you hold the Holy Symbol, all Anama have skill +1. If an Anama member kills a mage, you get 20 coins. You receive 20 coins for each Anama member you recruit. You are immune to dread curse.

Ability: Once per game, may resurrect one person. Remove all status effects from a target.

Tasks: Recruit Anama. May recruit members into the Anama.

Build Shrine. Once per day, build a component of the shrine for 20 coins. (Need 8 total to complete)

Victory Condition: Have the Anama Shrine built AND Gladwell not occupy his tower.

Craftmaster Strine

Attributes: Mage, Merchant, Weak

Inherent: You receive infinite trades per day, but may only trade items for a profit (greater than base value) unless trading with another merchant. You may not attack or explore land. You begin the game with two objects of low value. You gain one essence at the start of each day for each flawless crystal you possess.

Abilities: Craft Objects. You may convert essence into any number of objects. The essence required is the value of the object divided by 10, except for the Wand of Death, which requires 10 essence to produce.

Tasks: Drain crystal. Destroy a flawless crystal for an immediate 2 essence.

Victory: If Shanker is alive, need to be involved in at least 25 percent of the trades (gifts or trades between merchants do not count). If she is dead, you need involvement in at least 40 percent.

Darkside Commander

Nationality: Empire

Attributes: Darkside Loyalist, Warrior

Inherent: Base skill +3. Receive additional +1 skill when attacking with a weapon. Receive additional +1 skill when defending with armor equipped. Receives normal armor bonus against magic users.

Tasks: None.

Victory: No Avernites (besides merchants) win.

Darkside Mage

Attributes: Darkside Loyalist, Mage, Stealth

Inherent: Base skill +1. When examining someone, the other person will not learn you did so.

Tasks: Curse Target. Once per day, may place the weakened status upon a target.

Victory: No Avernites (besides merchants) win.

Dionicio

Attributes: Stealth, Warrior

Inherent: Base skill +2. Additional +2 skill when attacking a Darkside Loyalist that you correctly identify. You get 40 coins if you kill a Darkside Loyalist. You normally enemies with only Darkside Loyalists. Your orders are to not attack other Imperials directly unless absolutely necessary.

Ability: Query Influence. You will get the current Avernum Influence score.

Tasks: Scan Land. You will if the Loyalist Hideout is present in a given location, and, if it is unexplored, what treasure is hidden there. Report Imperial. Correctly identify a non-Darkside Loyalist Imperial to the moderator. If correct, this Imperial has skill -1 in all battles with Avernites. If incorrect, the Imperial learns your identity.

Victory: Avernum Influence is positive. The Avernum Influence is calculated as follows:

+1 for each Avernite that is alive

+1 for each artifact an Avernite holds

+3 for each Darkside Loyalist you kill

-8 for each Darkside Loyalist that is alive

-2 for each other unreported Imperial that is alive or dead

-1 for each artifact an Imperial holds

-2 if Imperials have explored more land than Avernites

Gladwell

Attributes: Mage

Inherent: Base skill +2. May not attack anyone, explore land, or use skribbane. +2 skill for each servant. +1 for each artifact currently held. -1 skill for each Anama member alive. You are immune to dread curse.

Ability: Once per game, may inflict a dread curse upon someone.

Tasks: Recruit Servant. You can bind, by mutual agreement, other players who are not Anama members or Darkside Loyalists. Scry Spire. You learn the identity of the holder of the Crystal Spire. Reclaim Tower. If you currently have an offensive skill of at least 12 (including statuses) you may reclaim Gladwell's Tower.

Victory: Reclaim your Tower AND the Anama Shrine does not exist.

Oliver

Attributes: Merchant, Weak

Inherent: You receive infinite trades per day, but may only trade items for a profit (greater than base value) unless trading with another merchant. You may not attack or explore land. You begin the game with two pieces of equipment of low value.

Ability: Obtain Items. May convert coins for pieces of equipment (swords, armor, bows, or sheilds), herbs, or flawless crystals at base value.

Tasks: Scan Inventory. You will see the inventory of any target that is not a merchant.

Shanker

Attributes: Mage

Inherent: Base skill +1 when defending. Skill when defending is +1 for each artifact you have researched. You may not join a faction.

Ability: Ward Target. You may grant the warded status upon you or another person. Research Artifact. When you hold an artifact, you may research it. This produces 2 research notes. You may do this once per artifact.

Tasks: Rebuild Laboratory. If you have researched at least three artifacts, you may rebuild Shanker's Lab.

Victory: Rebuild Shanker's Lab AND The total number of unaligned mages that are alive and merchants that win must outnumber the membership of the largest faction.

New Structures:

Herb Grove: Located in three random non-faction locations. This is found during the course of exploration. Can be used by the alchemist to get herbs.

Shanker's Lab: When built, Shanker receives two research notes immediately and one more at the start of each day.

Items:

Herbs: Used by some roles to produce potions. (C - 15)

Flawless Crystal: Used by some roles to produce essence for crafting objects. (C - 25)

Research Notes: When used by a mage, permanent skill increase of +1. (May only get up to skill +2 from this item.) (R - 30)