A6 - dispelling magical barriers?

Nunn

Good Morning,

I've been playing Avernum 6 (which is my first Spiderweb Software game) for the last week and I've been absolutely loving it. I've gotten my party up to level 14 so far, and cleared most of the beginning areas. I've been directed to the Great Portal from the castle, but prior to traveling there I've been attempting to clear out my quest log and explore every corner of the initial southwestern quarter of the world map.

With some guidance from the posts here I've been able to comfortably understand the mechanics of the game and I believe have developed a strong party that is able to handle almost everything thrown at me. However these magical barriers you see (blue'ish cubes blocking doorways) I haven't been able to lower or dispell.

The quest for the missing book you receive early on in Patrick's Tower requires you to drop a barrier caste by a dead apprentice, however in all my travels in Avernum so far I have not discovered how to learn this spell. Well I'm guessing it's a spell anyways!

Could someone direct me to the trainer or this spell's location in the game? I've encountered several of these barriers throughout the game but have not figured out how I am to lower them!

Thank you very much,

- David.

Piercing Crystal items (they look like orange gems) can break most barriers, but not all, and there's a limited supply of them.

For a more permanent solution, you can learn the Dispel Barrier spell in a few places. One of Gladwell's quests gives the spell as a reward, and you can also buy it after completing a quest for the slith mage in the Tower Colony.

Lilith,

You're a dream, thank you very much for the assistance. I'm glad I didn't miss a trainer (to be honest I've done several laps of the starting cities hoping I somehow missed it). I'm surprised I missed one of Gladwell's quest, must be something I've held off on due to difficulty. I'm playing right now, and will focus on getting that quest completed.

Again, thank you very much!

- David.