Blades of Avernum Editor saving error (Error number: 11) SOLVED!

Milla

I decided to start playing around with the editor today when I found I could not save anything I've done. The error is called Error number: 11.

I then tried again by using a newly downloaded copy of the 3Deditor and the exact same error occurs.

What is happening? And how do I fix it?

Also, this may be related. Whenever I make a scenario file it is visible on the open-menu and can apparently be copied to the scenario section while still in open-menu but it is invisible/absent if you try and look for the actual folders.

Unfortunately, I have to respond by asking some questions:

What else does the error message say? (We need to eliminate or rework those dumb error numbers; they look like useful information but mostly aren't.)

Are you on Windows or Mac OS? (I can't find anything in the Mac code that might generate an error number 11, but I may not have looked closely enough.)

What do you mean by:

Quote:
Whenever I make a scenario file it is visible on the open-menu and can apparently be copied to the scenario section while still in open-menu but it is invisible/absent if you try and look for the actual folders.

It may help to note (if you haven't already) that when the editor generates a scenario, it places the whole scenario directory inside the Blades of Avernum Files directory, rather than the Blades of Avernum Scenarios directory. You can use the editor to edit the .bas file while it's in either location, but the game can only find the scenario if it's moved into the latter location.

System: Windows Vista

Error Message: http://i50.tinypic.com/153p9ag.jpg

As for the invisible folders they do not exist according everything except BOA/BOAEditor I can search the data folder for the .bas file name again and again and come up with nothing. Hell I'm looking at the data folder right now where I know for a fact that there should be three scenario folders visible which are not but appear when in the editor open-menu.

Originally Posted By: Milla
I have it set out like this: program files\Spiderweb Software\Blades of Avernum

Been working well for me so far, plus it more organised.
Trust me, it won't work for much longer, especially if you want to change anything.

It's better to create a "Game Files" folder on the root of your drive, just so Vista will like you. Try this setup instead:
Code:
C:\Game Files\Spiderweb Software\Blades of Avernum
I've been doing that since Windows 98 was still relatively new, because I had a hard time keeping track of what was and wasn't a game. The result is a more organized and stable system, since you can have all your games installed in the same folder, and Vista will mistake your actions for a security breach much less often.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
As ES points out, leaving it within Program Files is quite possibly why it was having trouble writing a file, until you did it with administrator privileges.
Actually, Vista will still complain even when you're an admin or running things as an admin. Better to move all your games to another folder and be done with it.