Blades of Avernum - Berzerker Party

Roentgenium

I've made an experimental Blades of Avernum party: one human melee fighter, one slith pole fighter, one human priest/pole fighter, and one human mage/pole fighter. The difference from a regular party is that I'm trading endurance for more strength, dexterity, and melee/pole weapons skill (and some hardiness so I can take damage). I just created it, and I'm at the beginning of The Valley of Dying Things. Does anybody have any tips (what order I should play scenarios in, how much hardiness I should get, ect).

Honestly, foregoing Endurance seems a little foolhardy to me. There are a lot of scenarios out there that will deal out lots and lots of damage, that, well, one might want to endure. tongue

But generally, you can't go wrong by maxing out Defense and Hardiness. If you can get to Resistance, do it... though ironically, it requires 11 Endurance along with the 10 Dex and 8 Hardiness.

Originally Posted By: Roentgenium
Are there any scenarios where you can buy or get free levels of resistance?

Pretty sure you get a couple levels of resistance as a quest reward in Magus of Cattalon, but it's a high-level scenario, and long, and you don't get the reward until the very end of it, so...not much good to you.

You can buy all manner of skills in the HLPM if you have the coin, or even if you don't--it's just a question of where you draw your line.

Resistance is a useless skill, if I recall correctly. You are much better off investing in Luck which gives multiple bonuses, among which are 5% life save chance per point, 1-2% melee resistance, and +5% to all your elemental resistances. I'm not sure all what it adds, but someone else figured out it out a while back.

I wasn't planning on using the HLPM; I'm going to level up this party naturally. And when I said buy levels of Resistance, I meant with gold coins.

Gold is what you use to buy skills, spells and gear in the HLPM (the latter two being limited to what is appropriate for your party's level). If you want to, you can just use it as a shopping mall between scenarios. This can be justified since not all scenarios give you a chance to replenish your potions, ammo, etc. Not to mention a place to sell your loot.

Trouble is, Kelandon makes it very easy to cheat yourself up some extra gold while you're there--temptation can be hard to resist. wink

Oh, and I've never seen anywhere you could buy special skills in HPLM (not that I'm going to use it).

You're presumably using a hideously outdated copy. Check the readme. The current version is 1.2.5.1.

The crystal soul in the corner near where you come in is the one who sells skills.