Unlock door with Tool Use Explanation - Avernum 4

You can make a reasonably good trap disarmer and door opener who isn't a mage. You can open a few more doors bit earlier if the disarmer is a mage. It's not something that will fundamentally change the game.

—Alorael, who has played through A4 with a fighter-thief more often than with a mage-thief. It hasn't wrecked his fun yet.

Thanks, folks -- I made that mistake about the mage/priest thing. I've been so busy building my mage's ... well ... mage levels, so I figured I'd use my priest for the Tool Use bit. Oops. I checked out Schrodinger's guide, too ... it seems the door I want to get past is filled with bum stuff anyway (Ft. Dranlon), so I'm going to not stress so much.

@Zuljin: I bought A4 from Big Fish -- no PDF file found. But I'll check out Strategy Central for more info!

Thanks,

MissSea smile

Okay, so I thought I was out of the woods with the Unlock Door thing, but I'm still running into issues. I've defeated the drake guarding Athlon's lair, and I can't open the door (level 28 needed). I'm going nuts here without having the formula to calculate how far I'm away from the required tool use/unlock door spell strength.

Could anyone please post the formula? FYI, the link in Strategy Central regarding this matter is kaput. Also, as mentioned earlier, I bought A4 from Big Fish -- no handy PDF with hints/tricks/tips.

Thanks!

MissSea

Basically the formula is:

Unlock Strength = Tool Use + 2/3 of Unlock Doors spell strength

The Unlock Doors spell strength is equal to the spell level, plus your Mage Spells skill, plus your Spellcraft skill. If you really pump Tool Use and Spellcraft on your mage, it's possible to unlock doors with a difficulty of 40 by the end of the game. There's never a point where it's actually necessary to unlock a difficult door to proceed, though.