AIMhack - Selos and Blood Marsh

Ephesos

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why they are epic.

Originally Posted By: Gaunik-Da, master illusionist
"Anyone who thinks dreams are not real has never had a true nightmare. When confronted by the horrors of one's own mind, it is impossible to ignore the reality of the situation."

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Major coolness. I hope people in the Mote parties get an actual chance to learn these, or similar spells, and use them. :-)
Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Well, Vitze's only two levels away from Flight, if she boosts Transmutation both times.

EDIT: Of course, she'd also have to find Iliandib, or someone else who knows the spell.
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
*approves, but is considering the marginal costs of getting 10 points in conjuration*
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Well, presumably there will be lots of sessions so that characters can level up enough to cast epic spells without falling behind on other important skills.

Dikiyoba.

I'm sorry, what's that you were saying? Too far away from the requisite skill level to cast Eph's uber-spells of doom?

Originally Posted By: Kurex
Magic (Evocation): 8

I hope you're prepared for fiery lines of doom within three sessions.

Originally Posted By: Monitor.
Eh, as awesome as those spells sound, I think it's more fun when people do interesting and creative things with low-level spells.

Well, if you come up with any ideas for creative Abjuration spells, Lanrezac is always interested wink

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I'm sorry, what's that you were saying? Too far away from the requisite skill level to cast Eph's uber-spells of doom?

Originally Posted By: Kurex
Magic (Evocation): 8

A-hem.

Well, Vitze's only two levels away from Flight, if she boosts Transmutation both times.

Read things before you quote them, Dantius. If you don't, you won't be prepared for flying death from above.

I'm sorry, what's that you were saying? Too far away from the requisite skill level to cast Eph's uber-spells of doom? I hope you're prepared for fiery lines of doom within three sessions.

Well, Vitze's only two levels away from Flight, if she boosts Transmutation both times. Read things before you quote them, Dantius. If you don't, you won't be prepared for flying death from above.

YES! Inter-party grudge match between Vitze and Kurex!!! Go!!!

...of course, both of them have to actually LEARN their epic spells first...

And no worries for Lanrezac since apparently no one has yet invented epic level spells for the incredibly obscure branch of magic known as abjuration. cool

Huh. Sounds like Kurex needs to visit Zarusa. Of course, knowing Kurex, Zarusa probably hates him for killing someone she knew, and therefore won't teach him anything. smirk

So here's the thing. I'm not just gonna let you learn a spell like that via leveling. In fact, the higher up you get, the harder it's going to be to learn spells without actually being in the presence of a teacher.

Also, if you really want to find someone who knows that spell... well, you're in the wrong campaign. The Selos party already knows someone who can cast The Agency of Molten Lines, and they've seen it done.

Read things before you quote them, Dantius. If you don't, you won't be prepared for flying invisible death from above.

FYT.

Originally Posted By: Iliandib, sage
"I have heard people say that life is about the journey, not the destination. This may or may not be true on a philosophical level, but I can confirm that the more you shorten your journeys, the more destinations you can reach."

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

So here's the thing. I'm not just gonna let you learn a spell like that via leveling. In fact, the higher up you get, the harder it's going to be to learn spells without actually being in the presence of a teacher.

Also, if you really want to find someone who knows that spell... well, you're in the wrong campaign. The Selos party already knows someone who can cast The Agency of Molten Lines, and they've seen it done.

Funny part is, they haven't a single evoker to take advantage of it. tongue

Read things before you quote them, Dantius. If you don't, you won't be prepared for flying invisible death from above.

FYT.

What, you think Vitze is going to dispense flying death from above? Vitze can barely wield a knife with both hands. Striking like a falcon seems like something Boregloaf ought to do.

Nah. Best part was the total break-down of party cohesion when we met the traveling circus. Blood Marsh party: Good at rekilling things. Bad at social interaction. tongue

AMEND: Oh, and planning ahead. We have once again wandered into the wilderness completely unprepared. No food, no water, and a tattered excuse of a tent that only got replaced through Esstra's magic.

Does this apply to all spells or only Eph's Epic Spells? I was thinking of adding a few new mind spells to Nixak's list, do I need to find a trainer to do that now?

As promised, Vitze's new spells:

Pando's bygone alteration: Transmutes the target metal object into another metal of the caster's choice. Wears off after about 15 minutes.

Sudden Corrosion: A single target begins to decay rapidly. Metal rusts, flesh rots, etc. Can be used in or out of combat.

Not only did Vitze not need a trainer to learn these, she didn't even need to be conscious. tongue

Nixak also has added a spell to his list.

Blind Fury: Target's mind goes into an all consuming rage for a few turns. Target gets a bonus to all attacks for the duration of the spell but cannot distinguish friend from foe and may attack allies.

Any idea when the next session might be? I'm free all this week.

New calendar.

But here's the thing. This week is out, as I'll be in San Francisco with absolutely not enough time to run a session, and probably spotty internet access too. With any luck at all, I'll be pursuing a job. Any job.

So, I apologize, but the earliest the next session can be will be the 15th.

Originally Posted By: Ikthak, goblin archmage
"The Archer is rising, as it should. With any luck this means the flux I observed was meaningless."

*coughbumpcough*

Friday, March 19th, 5PM CST in spidwebRP2, or whatever room isn't being stupid.

Time to see what happens to the Selos party when Zarusa is done with them...

Originally Posted By: Lars, dwarven adventurer, last words
"Never seen one of those before. Looks kinda cute, though."

Yay! Whatever painful punishment Zarusa metes out , I, at least, have learned my lesson. Next time Vitze does something crazy and self-destructive, I should promptly whack her until she stops. smile

And next time we meet an angry mob, Lanrezac can talk to them. tongue

And next time we meet an angry mob, Lanrezac can talk to them. tongue

What's more likely, that we'll meet another angry mob, or that Vitze will do something crazy? tongue Yeah, I thought so.

Even if we do meet another angry mob, I assure you Lanrezac will not DELIBERATELY incite them to attack the most powerful wizard the party has met and for whom the party is supposed to be working. tongue

Originally Posted By: Frozen Feet
Now that I finally have our laptop back and am getting a hang of AIM, I'm tentatively asking to join the game. Not very soon though - I'll try to read OH MY GOD SO MUCH TEXT this topica nd get an idea what's happening. Suffice to say that if I figure out how, I'll be watching you on Friday.

Yay! We'd be happy to have you in the party, or even just as a sub from time to time. Definitely your call.

My advice is to check out the blurbs for each campaign towards the beginning of the thread, and then read up on whichever campaign seems more interesting to you. Then it's only half as much text. tongue

So... yeah. Session is still on Friday, Selos party.

Originally Posted By: Orlis the Cliffpainter
"The way the light reflects off the mountaintops... it's not quite right. Give me a week."

Triumph, may I draw your attention to exhibit A, the log?

Originally Posted By: The Log
Vitze

"Zarusa is a tyrant! She tricked us into helping her!"

DICE

Vitze rolled 1 20-sided die: 20 (Bluff)

Kundak

(yay!)

Lanrezac

(Dude. Nice work, Vitze.)

My sister is coming home on Friday. I'm not sure what time. If she arrives during the session, I'll probably miss an hour or two.

Objection, your honor! smile In the first place, that comment, (in parentheses) was by me, (out of character), not "Lanrezac." Hence the use of (parentheses) rather than "quotation marks." Second, being me, I know that that comment was in reference to the 20. Rolling a natural 20 is always impressive, even one is only succeeding at doing something foolish. smile The evidence submitted by Miss Vitze's lawyer, Mr. Sarachim, does not mean what he thinks it means. smile

I readily admit, however, that Lanrezac lacked decisiveness, was led astray Vitze, and failed to try to intervene as he should have, instead letting passively letting Vitze run amok. Thus I stated above that he had learned his lesson and would not be so passive in the event of future such actions by Vitze. smile

Guys, you're doing it wrong. You're not supposed to be blaming each other for our mistakes.

http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0385.html:

Quote:
Another important tip for players is to blame anything you can on NPCs. Someone forgot to check the basement for bombs? NPC. Someone did't bother to spike the door to prevent orcs from rushing in? Must have been an NPC. Someone was careless and inadvertently caused the downfall of the kingdom? You guessed it.

Dikiyoba blames all our problems on the lacewing who began the mob. He totally led us all astray. tongue

...er, slight modification that's actually pretty important.

Tomorrow's session is at 5pm CDT, because Daylight Savings Time rolled through last weekend. Not CST. So it's UTC - 5, not 6. Make sense?

Originally Posted By: Unattributed
"You know what I heard? The mayor of Selaneus was almost killed last week! I heard the assassin actually hid under his bed until nightfall, and it's only because the mayor is really really fat that he's not dead!"

It's fascinating to see which places in the world don't observe Daylight Savings Time.

I know that the Amish don't. Then again, the Amish don't observe much of anything.

Fun fact: The Amish are allowed to have and use cell phones and laptops, but cannot own or use landlines or desktops. Go figure.

There was a big publicity push by the Queensland Government in the 1980's against introducing daylight savings. Some of the rationale included that the cows would become confused with the sun rising later and would stop producing milk and that the extra hour of sun would fade people's curtains. No joke!

When I visited my family there a few years ago it would become light at 4.30am. They refused to agree that simply moving the time 1 hour would facilitate a more normal sleep pattern.

Epic jungle trek! Huzzah! Featuring wild boar, opportunities to get pet boom squirrels, potentially hostile jungle dwellers, bandits, lots of rain, and a journey to the mythical city of Sarden! Contact Zarusa for details should you wish to organize a trip for YOUR dysfunctional group of adventurers!

(My summary of the session in advertising form. smile )

The log of Session #5 of Selos is available! (Link!)

Also, everyone levels up, because that was actually pretty epic.

Click to reveal.. (OH GOD IT'S FULL OF QUOTES)
  • Kundak: "So...does anyone happen to have a machete?"
  • Vitze: "HELP, THIS BOAR IS ON TOP OF ME."
  • Boregloaf: "Okay, time to let the squirrel go."
  • Nixak: "Logic dictates that if we just keeping going in one direction, we'll eventually find something."
  • Vance: "You will pay for trying to fool Vance the Wayfarer!"
  • Lanrezac: "When faced with paths of equal difficulty, choose the equally difficult one."

Last, here is the calendar for the next Blood Marsh session.

(Also, you guys rock as players, just saying. Some of the back-and-forth in yesterday's session was amazing. :D)

I had a LOT of fun with some of our...discussions. :-)

Oh, and you really can't criticize us for getting lost. Just saying. :-P

Also, it's crazy that I rolled seven natural 20's last session, and NO 20's at all this session. Time and chance and all, but still weird.

We are a crazy group of jungle explorers. Silly bandits should beware. cool

I loved some of the comments about Boomy:

Lanrezac

"Nixak...are you SERIOUSLY going to try to infiltrate Sarden, city of bandits and assassins, feared throughout Mote, with a pet boom squirrel? Because that just screams 'trouble' to me."

-----------

Nioca

(I just realized how weird other people might find Nixak when his pocket suddenly and inexplicably booms)

everyone levels up

Then it was definitely an awesome session. tongue

Click to reveal..
Name: Boregloaf Ghung
Race: Goblin
Alignment: Stoic

Strength: 6
Dexterity: 4
Intelligence: 3
HP: 29/32
Stamina: 8/10

Martial (sword/dagger): 7
Streetwise: 2
Perception: 2
Bluff: 2
Intimidate: 3 (+1 racial bonus)
Nature: 1 (+1 racial bonus)

Dikiyoba.

(I just realized how weird other people might find Nixak when his pocket suddenly and inexplicably booms)
Was that a boom squirrel in your pocket, or were you just REALLY happy to see me?

And if you think having a pet squirrel is odd, imagine pet zombies (actually not so unheard of, if you have an Evil Cleric in the party) or a pet Crawling Claw (okay, that's pretty wacked).

In the interest of making the stats match the way the character acts...

Click to reveal..
Lanrezac, the historian (Level 5)

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 5

Max Health: 22 HP

Magic (Abjuration): 6

Martial (Staves): 4

History: 4

Perception: 1

Thievery: 1

Diplomacy: 1