AIMhack - Selos and Blood Marsh

Ephesos

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot do Sundays.

Incidentally, I think I vaguely remember a calendar being posted at some point...since I wasn't a player then, I naturally didn't post at it. Is that still around, and valid, such that I ought to post to it?

Edit: Never mind. I remembered these boards have a search feature (aha!), and used that to track down the most recent calendar link. For whatever good that will do.

Edit again: To simplify things: next week I could play Thursday or Saturday. This week I could play Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.

The next Selos session will be Saturday, February 27th, 5pm CST. I apologize for any inconvenience, as well as the 3-week gap between sessions. But be ready for awesomeness to make up for it.

For the record, feeling slightly better, at least because I have a better idea of what I've got. Thanks, everyone.

Originally Posted By: Lerasti, historian
"The citadel at E'Tarn, now occupied by the Oracle of Selos, was once the home of a powerful lacewing mage with the ability to shape the land itself. He was known as Orlis the Cliffpainter, and none of his work is known to exist in the present day."

My laptop screen stopped working as in now in the hands of the "apple people" to get fixed. It also has been making a spinning grinding noise that I really hope was the left fan and not my hard drive; there going to find out what made the noise and fix it to.

I am trying to find a computer that I can use aim on right now and if I don't have one by Thursday I will ask for a sub. Sorry for the extra stress Eph.

Oop. Sorry, Rowen... hope the search goes well.

I just wanted to pop in to share this little nugget from the KoL boards, because it is awesome.

(See you all on Saturday!)

Originally Posted By: Yuthan, dwarven shipwright
"I've heard that long ago, there were actual shipping lanes between the islands, that were regularly patrolled and generally safe. Having seen the seas of Mote in the present day, I find it rather difficult to believe."

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I just wanted to pop in to share this little nugget from the KoL boards, because it is awesome.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we play the game. Grief your DMs before they grief you. Like this poster says, there's a tonne of misapplied rules, but hey, still a good story.

I'm surprised Bags of Holding don't figure into more stories like this. Those things are bloody sick.

Bad News

On the last World session, some of you may recall that it ended prematurely thanks to horrendous lag.

Guess what Eph and I found when he was preparing for the session just now? That's right. It's still laggy. The server just seems to glitch up.

Good News

We found a solution. The problem isn't with AIM per say, so much as with that particular room. We don't know why, but it's only that room that lags. So, the session will take place in spidwebRP2. The redirect has been updated accordingly.

When Nixak left the party, almost died, and used his blessing.

Rowenoct27 is Nixak and Ephesossh is the GM.

Click to reveal..
Nixak : Am I alowed to keep following the road south even if the party doesn't follow?

DM : I mean, you can. You walk south, and come across another group of peasants picking through the debris of a collapsed building.

Nixak : I use stealth to get past them unseen.

DM: One of them notices you as you walk past. He throws a piece of trash at you.

"Go away, filthy human!"

Nixak: I keep walking south.

DM: Ahead of you, you think you can hear the sounds of another large mob.

Nixak: I try to sneak into a nearby building.

DM: The closest building is actively on fire, looking like it's about to collapse.

Nixak: Are then any allys near by that I can use to move to another street?

DM: There are, but the sound of the mob is growing closer.

Nixak: I choose an ally on the right to duck into and then do the same once onto the next street, ducking into another ally.

DM: The alley you duck into is blocked by part of a building that collapsed.

Nixak: Is that on fire?

DM: Nope, not on fire.

The sound of the mob is getting closer.

Nixak: I spend a stamina to get over it.

Do I need to roll?

DM: You vault over the wall.

Up ahead, you see what looks like another burning house. You can hear multiple voices coming from inside.

Nixak: I try to hear what they are saying. (perception)

DM: You can't make out much, but some of it sounds like "Help! HEEEELP!"

(I mean, really? tongue )

Nixak: "God I hate being me," I mutter to myself as I sprint in the burning building.

DM: You take 4 damage as you sprint into the burning building. You soon find yourself face to face with a motley crew of individuals, who appear to be in the process of looting the building.

One of them has his leg trapped under a burning dresser.

Nixak: I spend a stamina to move the dresser off of the one under it.

Need a roll?

DM: Yes. Strength.

You grunt and strain, but can't move the dresser. The fact that it's on fire deals another 1 damage to you before you realize how bad of an idea it was.

The largest of the looters, an ancient-looking dragonborn, snorts.

"And look what we have here. Little human, come to help us?"

Nixak: I look at the dragonborn, "Is Zarusa nothing but a "little human" then? Do not judge everyone to the same standered untill you have measured them properly. Help me with this dresser and show how great and noble it is to be a dragonborn today." (Diplomacy)

DM: The dragonborn snorts, and you actually see smoke come out his nostrils. "Boys, get him." Two smaller dragonborn, who look distinctly unfriendly, advance on you, while a third goes to move the dresser. Two more continue looting the room as if you weren't there.

Nixak: (Can I spend a stamina to make blank slate hit more then one target?)

DM: Yes.

Nixak: I spend a stamina and cast blank slate on as many of them as I can at once

DM: The two advancing on you stop for a moment, and you think that the spell might've worked. Then you realize that they were just drawing their longspears.

DM: ...well?

Nixak: Is it my turn again?

Dm: That was why I paused, yes.

Nixak: Okay, is there a window nearby?

DM: On the other side of the dragonborn, yes.

Nixak: "Fools, you think I came in here alown? Look behind you!" (Bluff) I then spring for the window and jump through it.

DM: Roll the bluff. ... The dragonborn aren't fooled by your bluff.

Nixak: (The dice are against me tonight. Really against me.)

DM: Any other action you'd like to take? I would remind you that you do have Khashen's Blessing.

rowenoct27 9:16 pm

Nixak: (O.o) (Do I just tap the tatoo?)

DM: (Basically, yes.)

(You remember how it works mechanically, right?)

Nixak: (No) (Its on my mac.)

DM: (This is how the tattoo works. At any time, you can decide the outcome of a die roll, regardless of who rolled it. Your character must be present for the action that called for the roll. Once you use this ability, the tattoo disappears forever.) (Outrageous requests are not only discouraged, but will likely rebound on the player in unpleasant fashions. Khashen's magic is complex, after all, and the consequences of using it are not always clear.)

Nixak: (I'm trying to think of something that I can do that doesn't end with me dead.) (Can use the roll to get out the the building?)

DM: (You could certainly use it on a Dex roll.)

Nixak: (but then they just might chase me down. (Okay, I know what I'm going to do.)

I tap my tatoo (20) and cast blank slate spending another stamina to use it on as many of the Dragonbore as I can at once. Then I run in to the street like death is chasing me and go strait south.

DM: Towards the manor?

Nixak: Yes.

DM: You tap the tattoo, and the world slows to a crawl. You see yourself repeated several times over the room. In several instances, you've been stabbed through by a longspear. In one instance, you've tripped and lie dead in a pile of burning debris. The floor grows insubstantial, as do the walls. You catch glimpses of other figures moving about the walls, and then a vision appears clear as a bell in your mind. You see yourself from a disembodied perspective, and watch as the tattoo unwinds itself from your neck, flapping into the room as if it were a real butterfly. It flaps its wings, which have taken on a bright blue hue. The room spins at right angles to reality, and the looters suddenly reel, collapsing to the floor. The next thing you know, you find yourself outside on the street, badly burned and exhausted. You are facing the backside of what appears to be the manor of Lord Hakkel. You can see a mob around the front of the building. Your neck burns.

Nixak: (what is my hp and stamina at now? I want to make sure I have the same as you do.)

DM: 4hp, 1 stamina.

Nixak: I go inside the manor.

DM: The back door is locked. (btw, hold on let me resolve stuff in the main window)

Nixak: (Okay, I'm not using the main window besides to do rolls so I have no idea what is going on there. Makes it more like I am really away from the party. Just tell me when I'm good to start trying things again. :-)

DM: Okay. You hear an explosion from the other side of the building.

Nixak: Are there any windows on this side?

Dm: None.

Nixak: Do I still have my pack?

ephesossh 9:40 pm

DM: Yes. You can hear lots of shouting from the front of the manor. Some of it sounds like Zarusa.

Nixak: I open the pack and pull out one of my potions and down it as I run around the right side of the manor.

DM: You regain 3 hit points. The potion seems a little old. When you come around to the front of the manor, you are faced with the fence that you remember from the caravan.(Return to the main window.)

Edit: Fixed up for the most part now. Eph did a wonderful job with the details of the use of the tattoo. I loved it.

Session 4 of Selos and the Oracle is complete, and the log is posted here! Nixak became the first party member to use Khashen's Blessing, Vitze incited an angry mob, and Lanrezac blew up a house. Fun stuff!

The following characters are eligible to level up after this session:

• Boregloaf
  • Kundak
  • Lanrezac
  • Nixak
And now, quotes!

Click to reveal.. (I have a +11 bonus on Quote rolls...)
  • Boregloaf: "We get to head back to Quera today! And we'll probably have food with us again!"
  • Zarusa: "I think we're here. And I think we have a problem."
  • Lanrezac: "If he deserves death, it doesn't matter that he's unconscious. Does he deserve death?"
  • Ghak: "I tell you, I know nothing. Osherl had a plan, next thing we knew Quera is on fire. Maybe I help if you GIVE ME MY SWORD BACK."
  • Nixak: "Everyone blames the humans for everything, it nothing more then ignorance of the other races."
  • Kundak: "All this derring-do and so little learned."
  • Vitze: "Hello again, Zarusa. This is not nearly as bad as it looks. If you let me explain, I'm sure you will understand."

Blood Marsh party! The calendar for your next session is right here, so please fill it out. From my point of view, the best day is Saturday March 6th... just sayin'.

It takes a surprisingly short time to type "Rocks fall, everyone dies". What can I say, I was inspired.

...er, yeah. That totally never happened.

(jedi hand wave)

Originally Posted By: Zarusa, pyromancer
"Sometimes, vengeance is incredibly fulfilling. It helps distract you from the pain of the original wrong, at least until you are prepared to deal with it."

Hooray leveling!

Click to reveal..
Name: Boregloaf Ghung

Race: Goblin

Alignment: Stoic

Strength: 6

Dexterity: 4 (+1)

Intelligence: 3

HP: 24/26

Stanima: 8/10

Martial (sword/dagger): 5

Streetwise: 2

Perception: 2

Bluff: 2

Intimidate: 3 (+1 racial bonus)

Nature: 1 (+1 racial bonus)

Inventory

-Osherl's longsword*

-broadsword

-breastplate

-helmet

-defensive belt (can be activated once a day to reduce an attack by five points of damage)

-captain's uniform

-coins

Perks

Zealous: Once per in-game day, get a +5 bonus to any one roll BY YELLING REALLY LOUD

And now that Dikiyoba has some cool abilities, Dikiyoba will have to remember to actually use them.

I was tempted to put some points in diplomacy, but thought better of it.

Click to reveal..

Name: Kundak Skylark

Race: Dragonborn

Religion: Phol-Phoram

Alignment: Magnanimous

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 7

HP: 15/16 (+2)

Stamina: 5/10

Magic (Conjuration): 6 (+1)

First Aid: 4

Magic (Divination): 3 (+1)

Martial (Shuriken): 2

Diplomacy: 1

I too was tempted to put points in Diplomacy or Intimidate, but decided to hold off for the moment.

Click to reveal..
Lanrezac, the historian (Level 4)

Alignment: A Bit Eccentric

Race: Lacewing

Deity: Sliros

Current HP 17/19 (+3)

Current Stamina 6/10

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 3
 (+1)

Intelligence: 5

Magic (Abjuration): 6 

Martial (Staves): 4

History: 4

Perception: 1

Thievery: 1

Spells:

Balbus' Rubber Cloak - Shields the caster from water and mud.

No roll required

Mirror Gauntlet - Try to deflect an enemy's spell.

Quartz Aegis - Create a personal shield against magic and physical attacks.

Locking Spell - Create an invisible and impermeable barrier around the target.

Mystic Trumpet - Raises an alarm if unauthorized creatures enter a warded area.

Changes are regular HP growth (+3), and +1 to Dexterity, which finishes fleshing out my general concept of the character and leaves him ready to cultivate skills as he adventures. Only addition to his inventory is the as-yet-unidentified amulet swiped from Hallith.

A human trying to use diplomacy on a bunch of human haters didn't work as well as I thought it would. It also didn't help that I rolled a 3 when talking to them. Time to invest points into universal diplomacy instead.

Click to reveal..
Nixak, the mind-mage (Level 4)

Alignment: Manipulative

Race: Human

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 7

Max Health: 7/14 HP

Stamina: 1/10

Magic (Enchantment): 8

Bluff: 2

Intimidate: 2

Stealth: 3

Diplomacy: 3

Perception: 1

Spells:

* Mind Read - Get an impression of the target's surface thoughts.

* Compulsion - Compel a target to act in a specific way, lest their actions be penalized.

* Mind Duel - Blast a target's mind with psychic energy.

* Mnemonic - Remember some specific sensory experience.

* Blank Slate - Temporarily daze or stun a target by blanking out their surface thoughts.

* Mind Barrier - Shield targets from mental attacks.

Everyone's changes have been noted on the Roster page.

And Blood Marsh people! Still waiting on a few responses for the calendar. Please try to get to that as soon as you can.

Originally Posted By: Ikthak, goblin archmage, journal notes
"A noticeable flux in the fifth hemi-quadrant of the pole star is vexing me. I have read that the stars shift across the aeons as they do across a day, but this irregularity seems like an omen. Perhaps a visit to Keoshor is in order."

Hey Blood Marsh types. About the schedule. At the moment, the only time available in the next two weeks is this Friday, March 5th. The problem is that I probably won't be able to make that... and we have conflicts until the 15th, which is sad.

I will keep you posted, because I would very much like to have another session this Friday. But failing that, I might have to bump it to Sunday, or Tuesday. (Monday's out because of Brigandage)

Yeah, sorry. This one's not entirely my fault.

Originally Posted By: Thiaspor, priestess of Sliros
"In dark times such as this, I take solace in the fact that Sliros watches over us. Sometimes it is the only comfort available to us."

To be fair, both Monday and Tuesday work for Brigandage. And while I'd rather not reschedule, having two RPs running without conflict takes a greater precedent. Furthermore, I've been informed that there's a minor conflict on Monday that'd result in a player being late by an hour. So if Monday works without conflict for Blood Marsh, I'd gladly shift Brigandage over to Tuesday.

We're on! T-minus 6 hours!

(Duck, you still have to level up!)

Originally Posted By: Egues-tol, necromancer
"People think it is so easy to maintain a collection of undead servants, but truth be told it is quite taxing. The more you attempt to control, the greater the toll on your sanity. Too many, and you will eventually break under the strain and attack the peasantry. So you can make more servants. So you can attack more peasants."

Session #5 of the Blood Marsh campaign is over, and the log is here!

Nobody levels up, because not a lot of action happened. And now, quotes!

Click to reveal.. (This spell deals quote damage!)
  • Alexander: "Never assume the best of people when ZOMBIES are involved,"
  • Sawbones: "I apologize, I do, my friends are. . . idiots. Yes, idiots."
  • Kurex: "As I'm sure you can tell, I make a lot of enemies. Fast."
  • Esstra: "Ah, something with a good name!"
  • Amadan: "Are we drawing trouble, or are we just drawn to it?"

Yup. No idea when the next Selos session is, but it'll have to wait until after GDC. My apologies.

Also, upon further review, Vitze does in fact get to level up. I've decided I don't like the uneven leveling thing.

Click to reveal..
Vitze
Female Elf

2/3/5, 16HP (+2)
2/16 HP, 6/10 Stamina

Bluff: 4
Streetwise: 3
Magic (Illusions): 5
Magic (Transmutation): 6
Religion: 1
Martial (Throwing Knives): 1

Also, I'm going to be changing up Vitze's spell selection a lot before the next session. Once I've finished and Eph approves them, I'll post them here for everyone's edification and amusement.

Okay, so I know I talked about posting some of the more epic-level spells that are floating around out there. This is that post. Some of them might even look familiar.

Click to reveal.. (The Agency of Molten Lines)
The Agency of Molten Lines

Strands of fire criscrossed the battlefield like an ember spider's web.

-Requires 12 points in Evocation

-Costs 3 Stamina

-Can cast once per day

-Strands of elemental fire are cast about the battlefield at random. Any creature that passes through the fire is ensnared, and the line constricts in to attack it.

Click to reveal.. (Iliandib's Sinewy Ascent)
Iliandib's Sinewy Ascent

Take wing, and take heart.

-Requires 10 points in Transmutation

-Costs 2 Stamina per target (see below)

-Can cast once per day

-All targets gain sprout a pair of feathered wings (this does not conflict with armor, as the wings are not physical), and gain the ability to fly for a number of hours equal to the caster's Intelligence.

Click to reveal.. (Egues-Tol's Despicable Pall)
Egues-Tol's Despicable Pall

A dark fog rushes onto the battlefield, damping both sound and spirit.

-Requires 10 points in Necromancy

-Costs 2 Stamina

-A dark fog forms on the battlefield, giving Perception checks a -5 penalty. All attack rolls also suffer a -2 penalty within the cloud. Creatures who spend a turn in the fog lose 1 stamina. The caster is unaffected, and can sustain the effect by spending 1 stamina.

Click to reveal.. (Immaculate Shift of Dreams)
Immaculate Shift of Dreams

The barbarian charged at his foe, and soon found himself in a dark nightmare of a forest. He screamed.

-Requires 14 points in Illusion

-Costs 3 Stamina

-Casts any number of attacking creatures into a shadowy nightmare. They remain physically present, but cower in terror helplessly unless they can save against the spell.

-This spell affects a 30-foot line on the battlefield, and any creatures that cross it are affected by the spell. The line itself persists for 2 rounds.

Click to reveal.. (La-Yim's Lifeblood)
La-Yim's Lifeblood

A pinch of precaution, a dash of daring.

-Requires 10 points in Conjuration

-Costs 3 Stamina

-Can cast once per day

-Target regains all hit points, and automatically saves against all conditions currently afflicting him or her.

Originally Posted By: Iliandib, sage
"Contrary to popular belief, it is actually possible to be in two places at once."