AIMhack - Selos and Blood Marsh

Ephesos

Everyone's leveling has been marked on the roster page. Now Nixak is the only one who needs to level up, but that's fine since Rowen was absent.

Now, mechanical notes. First, Nixak's pet boom squirrel, who we will refer to as Boomy until it gets a proper name. Boomy only has like 2-3 hp, and being a totally mundane animal, is dead if it dies. Nixak can give general commands via telepathy (Sit, Stay, Go over there, etc), but needs to roll for anything that's all that complex.

Next, there's Boregloaf's new ability, gleaned from the fight with Vance the Wayfarer:

Click to reveal.. (Spinning Blade)
Spinning Blade

By shifting your balance, you are able to whirl around and lash out at several enemies at once.

Instead of a normal attack, you can choose to strike every enemy adjacent to you, making separate attack rolls for each one. For each target after the first, you take a -1 penalty to your defense until your next turn.

I think that's it for now. However, there's the issue of scheduling the next session. At the moment, it looks like the earliest we could possibly schedule a Blood Marsh session is April 5th. (Duck please fill out the calendar!)

So we could skip Blood Marsh's turn, or we could wait. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Unattributed
"I heard that deep down, all humans are nothing more than savages and cannibals. Um, present company excluded, of course. Oh gods don't eat me!"

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend giving us a bunch of free levels, and then condensing the sessions into only those fights that are absolutely necessary in advancing the plot, i.e. no random encounters or side quests, and then only meeting when the entire part can attend, which may well be once every two weeks. It'll suck, but at least it will keep us on level footing with Selos, which IIRC is already a level ahead of us.

Alternately, you could extend the sessions by tacking on an hour at the beginning and another thirty minutes at the end, but then that runs the risk of having a large number of people be late/forced to leave early.

Um, no. I'm not skipping plot, and certainly not giving out "free" levels. I would much rather continue on using substitutes, and I'm talking to people now who could help us out.

In fact, if said people could post in this thread...

(also, the previous post always had a quote in it)

Originally Posted By: Iliandib, sage
"I have seen more of this world than most could in two lifetimes, and still I cannot answer the question that plagues so many of us. Where are the gods?"

Originally Posted By: Dantius
It'll suck, but at least it will keep us on level footing with Selos, which IIRC is already a level ahead of us.

We're also smarter and more attractive. P

Condensing the sessions seems like the opposite of what you want to do. The stuff between fights and plot is just as fun as the fights and plot itself, and is necessary to make the fights and plot meaningful. Spoiling the experience just to keep even with another party you're not even interacting with seems pointless.

EDIT: Sniped by Eph! Anyway, I could be a Blood Marsh sub if the dates are right.

Click to reveal..
Nixak, the mind-mage (Level 5)

Alignment: Manipulative
Race: Human

Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 7
Max Health: 16 HP

Magic (Enchantment): 9
Bluff: 2
Intimidate: 2
Stealth: 3
Diplomacy: 4
Perception: 1

Spells:

Mind Read - Get an impression of the target's surface thoughts.
Compulsion - Compel a target to act in a specific way, lest their actions be penalized.
Mind Duel - Blast a target's mind with psychic energy.
Mnemonic - Remember some specific sensory experience.
Blank Slate - Temporarily daze or stun a target by blanking out their surface thoughts.
Mind Barrier - Shield targets from mental attacks.
Blind Fury: Target's mind goes into an all consuming rage for a few turns. Target gets a bonus to all attacks for the duration of the spell but cannot distinguish friend from foe and may attack allies.

I've got some big plans for Boomy.

Updated, updated, updated.

Also, currently looking at Sunday, March 28th, at a slightly earlier-than-normal time. Could people work with that? (that includes subs)

Originally Posted By: Tabazinth, elven necromancer
"Of course people try to raid the tombs. Sometimes it's just greed, hoping for some sort of ancient buried relic, and sometimes they want to put the contents to more nefarious purposes. Regardless, many people try, and a few even survive."

Alright, it is official! The next session of the Blood Marsh campaign is this Sunday, March 28th, at 4pm CDT. Why 4pm, you might ask? Because then we might actually get going by 5. tongue

Originally Posted By: Ikthak, goblin archmage
"A small blemish on the face of the sun... not too unusual. However, its duration is truly what worries me, as I first observed it two months prior, and comparable spots have dissipated in that time. I wonder if my brother has observed the same phenomenon."

Originally Posted By: Rowen
I thought it appropriate to link what Jeff has said about D&D.

Thank you for sniping me to that link, Rowen. Another excellent post from Jeff, in my opinion.

(starts working on the skeletons with flamethrowers)

Originally Posted By: Unattributed
"Yep, we got a bad case of mroe spiders back when we lived at the edge of the woods. The poor dog never saw it coming."

Originally Posted By: Jeff Vogel in a comment
But since Dragon paid the ludicrously low rate of a penny a word (Literally!) I didn't sweat it too much.
Wait, seriously? Is this common in other magazines? Not the low rate, but the pay-by-word model.

EDIT: Also, I wish we would have listened to stuff like Rush during our sessions. When I first started playing, we gamed in one of the player's basement suites, and she was an Enya fan. Not that Enya is completely horrible, it's just not dungeon crawl music.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Wait, seriously? Is this common in other magazines? Not the low rate, but the pay-by-word model.

Yeah, it's really common. I think about 70 cents a word is pretty standard for things like newspaper columns and general-readership magazine articles. In general, niche magazines will pay less, because they can afford to: they have lower journalistic standards, and attract more people who will write articles just for the prestige of being published.

Yay leveling up! I had the answer to what I was spending my level on in five seconds.

Also, wow has my character's inventory grown. Whew. You wouldn't know it, but there's actually some things I dropped. And my inventory still doubled in size.

Click to reveal.. (Amadan Rayton)
AMADAN RAYTON
Click to reveal.. (Bio)

Alignment: Kind Pragmatic

Homeland: Ona

Deity: Liea, Goddess of Fire and Stone

Attributes

Level - 5

Strength - 3

Dexterity - 6

Intelligence - 4

HP - 13/18 (+3)

Speed - 5

Stamina - 6/10

Skills

Martial (Bows): 5

Magic (Transmutation): 4 (+2)

Crafting (Alchemy): 2

Stealth: 2

Nature: 2

Perception: 2

Artifice: 1

Traits

Negative Animal Attraction (Weakness) - For whatever reason, Amadan tends to attract animals, and animals around him tend to go hostile.

Free Fire Arrows (Ability) - Amadan gets 2 free casts of the Fire Arrow spell each day.

Liea's Blessing (Perk) - Amadan, who has somewhat inadvertently forged a deeper connection with Liea, receives Liea's Blessing, giving him a +1 bonus to all attack rolls involving fire, as well as a small damage bonus for the same.

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)
Items

Ricochet Bow (arrows ricochet back toward target on miss)

Quiver

Wooden Arrows (x22)

Steel Arrows (x11)

Leather Armor

Satchel

Empty Vials (x1)

Small Knife

Mortar and Pestle

Healing Potion (x4)

Stamina Potion

Steelskin Tonic

Energy Booster Potion

Water Flasks (x7)

Preserved Food (x10)

Javelins (x3)

Vials of Construct Juice (x2)

Click to reveal.. (Spellbook)
Spellbook (New) (Active)

Fire Arrow (1S) - Wreathes an arrow in flame. 2 free casts/day.

Loft - Makes an object lighter.

Repair - Repairs an object, assuming one has all the pieces.

Detrimentum - Disrupts the molecular structure of a target, damaging it.

Spinneret Arrow (?S) - Transforms an arrow into a mass of sticky webbing on impact, entangling and bogging down the target.

CryoArrow (2S) - Turns an arrowhead into an icy explosive.

Cleanse - Cleanses a targeted object of filth and impurities.

Comestible Succor - Makes a targeted object edible

Explosive Arrow (1S) - Renders an arrow volatile, causing it to explode on impact. The more stamina, the bigger the blast.

ALSO: Whilst in our new house (see the log when it comes out), Esstra (Dikiyoba) and I were discussing where to go from there. Not particularly exciting, but here:

Click to reveal.. (Private Chat Log)
Esstra: "Hey, Amadan, did you hear the rumors about the kobolds?"

Amadan: "Yes, I did. I'm a little surprised there's kobolds out here, though..."

Esstra: "Shall we get the others organized to investigate?"

Amadan: "That sounds like a plan, but we'll need more information than just knowing there's raids."

Dikiyoba: (There's a tavern in this town, right?)

Nioca: (Yeah)

Esstra: "We can search for more information there. Or we could just head to the farms and see what we find."

Amadan: "Good a start as any. My only concern is that we'll once again be heading out into the wilderness in the middle of winter with tons of snow on the ground."

Esstra: "We have food this time. And I can summon a tent."

Amadan: "Yeah, but..." I look at the others. "A lot of these guys just don't get the wilderness. If it was just me, I wouldn't be concerned, but them..."

Esstra: "Well, there will probably be farms for a while."

Amadan: "I suppose. Alright, Sawbones knows this town better than anyone else. If you and him got to work on hearing what the people here have to say, I could work on checking in on the farms. Get a head start on what to do next."

Esstra: "Are we just leaving Kurex and Alexander here or something?"

Amadan: "I can take Kurex with me. I'd rather not have him insulting someone. Alex can go with you, since he seems trigger happy regarding undead, and I'd rather not have to chase him through the woods.

Esstra: "I don't know. Splitting up is asking for worse trouble than being out in the weather. Also, I seem to recall you get attacked by random swarms of critters. I think you need the help."

Amadan: "I can take care of myself. But if you think we should stay in one group, I suppose that's fine too. Whatever it is, we better decide quick before they become to philosophical."

Hey everyone! The log from session #6 of The Blood Marsh is up right over here! And everyone levels up! Even if you did not attend the session, all five characters in Blood Marsh were piloted to leveling up. Now, quotes...

Click to reveal.. (QUOTE-ACLYSM)
  • Alexander: "Hey, an actual zombie."
  • Amadan: "Ooh oh ut uld eee ice? Uh herd had."
  • Esstra: "Check them for gills! And also kill them, that can't hurt."
  • Sawbones: "An arrow to the head has a negative effect on living creatures."
  • Kurex: "The first rule of plundering: Pillage, *then* burn."

SELOS PARTY! New calendar! My ideal target? April 4th.

Two things:

1. I had to go back to nearly the halfway point in the thread to find my last levelup. We really do need to pick up the pace.

2. I also seem to have forgotten my inventory. Is the version posted on Eph's site up-to-date, or are they lagging a few sessions?

Click to reveal..

Name: Kurex

Alignment: Magnificent Bastard

Deity: Imaunte

Strength: 5 (+1)

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 5

HP: 25(?)/25 (+5)

Magic (Evocation): 8

Martial (Sword): 2

Artifice: 2

Diplomacy: 2

Streetwise: 1

Stealth: 1

Perception: 1

Click to reveal.. (spells)

Light (evocation): Creates a small hovering orb of light, or causes an object to glow softly

Ice Spray (evocation): Shoots a cloud of sharp ice particles at a target. Somewhat better than Magic Missile.

Magic Missile (evocation): Fires a bolt of energy at the target

Stun (evocation): Fires a powerful energy pulse at the target, knocking them off balance and stunning them. No damage.

Burning Hand(evocation): Projects a sheet of flame from the casters hand. Short range attack.

Oh, right... there should be more perks before the next session. I'll work on it.

1. I had to go back to nearly the halfway point in the thread to find my last levelup. We really do need to pick up the pace.

...this comment just mystifies me. You are the same level as the Selos party after just as many sessions. You have leveled 4 times in 6 sessions. In conclusion, hunh?

2. I also seem to have forgotten my inventory. Is the version posted on Eph's site up-to-date, or are they lagging a few sessions?

Check your PMs.

Originally Posted By: Orlis the Cliffpainter
"This land has scars, deep and jagged. I can only read so much from them before I am forced to look away... the sheer volume of history is overwhelming. And yet, I am compelled to read on."

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

...this comment just mystifies me. You are the same level as the Selos party after just as many sessions. You have leveled 4 times in 6 sessions. In conclusion, hunh?

I think it's more how the Blood Marsh team has just been having scheduling problems out the rear and the time between sessions.

Major character organisation. Starting with:

Ding! My level-up!

Click to reveal.. (Levelling up)
Esstra Seaborne, the mainly-competent ex-priestess (Level 5)

Alignment: Somewhat naïve.

Race: Dwarf

Deity: Mariona

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 5

Max Health: 22 HP (+3)

Magic (Conjuration): 5

Magic (Enchantment): 1 (New skill at level 1)

Religion: 3

Martial (Hammer): 4

First Aid: 3

Artifice: 3

With the new skill, I've also come up with a couple of basic enchantment spells which Esstra might possibly know. Feel free to veto or edit, Eph.

Mariona's Blessing: grants a +1 bonus to attacks. Spell affects 2 people.

Fits of Laughter: Fills a target creature's head with images of cream pies hitting faces, banana peels underfoot, and little tramps with moustaches and top hats. The target falls into fits of laughter and is unable to act until the laughter passes.

Esstra's learnt spells haven't changed, obviously, because we haven't rested, so here they are again just so we have them down in writing (and also because I can't remember if I ever put them in this thread anyway).

Click to reveal.. (Learnt spells)

Heal - Provides magical healing of injuries.

Simulacra - creates a copy of an item. If it's something uncommon, Esstra has to have it described for her, or has to be able to see it.

Stumble - conjures webbing around a foes feet, causing them to trip.

Call Beast - summons an animal of the casters chosing (small- or medium-sized)

Driving Rain - causes a small, localised rain storm which reduces visibilty/reduces agility of attacker

Finally, I've finally got around to sorting an inventory out. It's basic, but it's there, so here we go:

Click to reveal.. (Stuffs)

White temple robes.

Plain golden bracelet.

Dwarven Warhammer.

1 Potion of Healing.

1 Potion of Stamina recovery.

Pickled/preserved food (however much Diki picked up from the house for me :p)

10 gold pieces.

1 lucky copper piece.

Originally Posted By: MacGuff the Crime Dog
Mariona's Blessing: grants a +1 bonus to attacks. Spell affects 2 people.

Change it to defense, and you're good. That's more of Mariona's thing. Other than that, good.

Originally Posted By: Academician Prokhor Zakharov
Whoever's playing for me can do the leveling. S'only fair.

You heard him. Diki, Rowen, argue about how to level up Sawbones. tongue

Originally Posted By: Liomha, dragonborn weaponsmith
"Yes, yes, I know. You want magic weapons, don't waste your breath. I am concerned with quality smithing, weapons that function properly. Whine all you want, but when your flashy blades snap on your enemies' carapaces, remember that I told you so."

After talking with Diki we decided that this would be good.

Click to reveal..
Allen "Sawbones" Macterris, the surgeon (Level 5)

Alignment: Convenience

Race: Goblin

Deity: Mariona

Strength: 5

Intelligence: 4

Max Health: 27 HP

Martial (Medical Equipment): 6

First Aid: 6

Nature: 2

Crafting (Medical): 3

Intimidate: 1

*sigh*... Duck, please level up.

SELOS PARTY!!! Heads-up! Session, Friday April 2nd, 6PM CDT! In a stunning twist of fate, the entire party can be there! (the real trick will be me getting back from work in time... but I shall manage)

Please read this before the boards go down for server migration! tongue

Originally Posted By: Brilar, priest of Kyrophius
"Humans today speak carefully, which is understandably borne out of past transgressions. But when so much time has passed since the days of Chamulsep, I fear that even this caution is suspicious. Some call this insensitive, I call it pragmatism."

Originally Posted By: Triumph
If Duck levels up, it will most likely happen on April 1. The same time Dantius will start a new character who's a philanthropist with jolly disposition. tongue

Just remember, it will be far more likely that I do run Mother Teresa as a character than that the entire Blood Marsh party actally manages to attend a session on time.

...I can't make it this Friday. frown I'm leaving for vacation that day. I would have said so sooner, but it was planned at the last minute.

However, I can level up Alexander.

Click to reveal..

Alignment: Paranoid

Strength: 3

Intelligence: 4

Max Health: 22 HP

Magic (Divination): 3

Magic (Necromancy): 5

Martial (Sword): 5

Martial (Bow): 1

Perception: 3

Stealth: 2

Intimidate: 2

Spells:

* Detect Undead - Divine the presence of nearby undead.

* Feign Death - Puts caster into a catatonic death-like state.

* Hold Undead - Attempt to bind an undead foe.

* Contagion - Afflict the target with a disease, penalizing their actions.

* Repel Spirit - Turn away undead with negative energy.