AIMhack - Selos and Blood Marsh

Ephesos

See, buffing isn't really something Lanrezac does, and it's not an Abjuration spell. But it works for him because his character tends to drop very rich nuggets of RP awesomeness into the conversation. For a bard, it would make sense to turn it into a spell that can be used at will.

I suppose I've been giving out perks in a way that's somewhat counter-intuitive to, say, standard D&D feats. It's not always about specialization, sometimes it's just about complementing the character's mechanical strengths. Nixak's perk is another example... Nixak is squishy. Very squishy. And I thought about at least half a dozen different approaches to a perk that would make him less squishy, and this one felt right, even though a lot of people have Heal.

*shrug*... I wouldn't be worried about the bard.

Originally Posted By: Iliandib, sage
"No matter where you roam in life, it is always advisable to make sure you can find a way back. So I prefer to build that capability into my spells."

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Click to reveal..
Name: Boregloaf Ghung
Race: Goblin
Alignment: Stoic

Strength: 7
Dexterity: 4
Intelligence: 3
HP: 38/45
Stanima: 9/10

Martial (sword/dagger): 7
Streetwise: 3
Perception: 2
Bluff: 2
Intimidate: 3 (+1 racial bonus)
Nature: 2 (+1 racial bonus)

Inventory
-Osherl's longsword (small attack bonus that improves if fire is involved)
-broadsword
-breastplate
-helmet
-defensive belt (can be activated once a day to reduce an attack by five points of damage)
-coins
-dragon claw
-one healing potion
-two poisoned daggers
-bow and 7 arrows
-50-foot rope

Perks
Zealous: Once per in-game day, get a +5 bonus to any one roll BY YELLING REALLY LOUD

Abilities
Whirling Blade - Hit X extra targets, which must be adjacent to you. You take a -X Defense penalty until next turn.
Parrying Stance - Ready an action. If you can beat the next opponent's attack roll to target you, nullify their attack and strike them. 1 target only.

Woo! Dikiyoba likes leveling up.

Click to reveal..
Nixak, the mind-mage (Level 7)

Alignment: Manipulative
Race: Human

Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 7
Max Health: 20 HP

Magic (Enchantment): 13
Bluff: 2
Intimidate: 2
Stealth: 3
Diplomacy: 4
Perception: 1

Spells:

Mind Read - Get an impression of the target's surface thoughts.
Compulsion - Compel a target to act in a specific way, lest their actions be penalized.
Mind Duel - Blast a target's mind with psychic energy.
Mnemonic - Remember some specific sensory experience.
Blank Slate - Temporarily daze or stun a target by blanking out their surface thoughts.
Mind Barrier - Shield targets from mental attacks.
Blind Fury - Send the target into a rage, improving their attack, but can't distinguish friend from foe.
Perks:
Tenacity of Korossos - Once per day, you may regain HP up to half of your maximum health.

EDIT: I forgot to add my HP.

Lanrezac, the historian (Level 7)

Click to reveal..

Alignment: A Bit Eccentric

Race: Lacewing

Deity: Sliros

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 5

Max Health: 28 HP

Stamine: 10

Speed: 5

Magic (Abjuration): 6

Martial (Staves): 5

History: 5

Diplomacy: 3

Thievery: 1

Spells:

Quartz Aegis - Create a personal shield against magic and physical attacks.

Locking Spell - Create an invisible and impermeable barrier around the target.

Mystic Trumpet - Raises an alarm if unauthorized creatures enter a warded area.

Zorlock’s Bridge Repair: Create a solid magical barrier in the horizontal plane.

Zummi’s Lesser Scramble: interfere with target’s spell-casting, causing the spell to go off randomly.

Perk:

Words of Wisdom: Once per day, you may grant one ally a bonus on a roll equal to your History skill. You must supply your own inspiring phrase for this perk to work properly.

Also the current HP/STA and inventory:

Click to reveal..

HP 25/28

Stamina 5/10

Inventory:

A couple of small history books

Various stray sheets of parchment and writing utensils

Flint and steel

1 healing elixir

2 stamina elixir

Maps

24 gold coins

54 Silver coins

Food and water

3 canopy drake scales

Broken pieces of a compass

Halith’s blood magic amulet

2 Pitted Short Swords

Originally Posted By: Rowen
I was looking at the character roster and saw that Kundak was still listed as level 5. Wasn't sure if this was just a mistake or not.

I seem to recall that Excalibur voluntarily decided to penalize himself by not receiving a level-up for a session that he missed. Classy choice. So I think it's not a mistake.

*bashes his head against the calendars*

Alright, everyone. As you might've noticed, the Selos party leveled up. That's because... well, look at the LOG of their 8th and second-to-last session. And now, quotes!

Click to reveal.. (Penultiquotes?)
  • Vitze: "I'm not sure what initiative is, but from a tactical perspective, it's got to be less important than putting Boregloaf into a position to hit things."
  • Boregloaf: "This could be a long game..."
  • Lanrezac: "Do not be hasty. The game grows...interesting."
  • Kundak: "Ow...gastric bypass, you poor thing."
  • Nixak: "That was amazing."
  • Trassak: "Remember that this is not your city. You are not welcome here, and every day you remain here makes it more likely that you don't wake up in the morning."
  • Rikkla: "You have one hour to bring me the head of whoever is responsible, or you and your scum die!"

So that was exciting! Now for the bad part... the schedules are just not aligning. For either party. This is where we're at:

• Selos will be going on Tuesday, May 11th at 6:30pm CDT. That's right, I'm kicking myself, but we're doing this.
  • Blood Marsh... um. So. At present, the earliest day that works for everyone is Friday, May 28th. That kinda blows, but there is not a single day until then where we would not be missing at least 2 PCs.

*resumes bashing his head against the calendars*

Dude. Selos will be OVER...on May 11? That's, um, three days from now! Wow. But cool. Very cool.

It's also good to see how Selos has asserted their superiority over Bloodmarsh in punctuality, calendrical matters, number of levels, and general coolness. cooltongue

I had wanted to spectate that session, but was having connection problems all night (not my month, it seems). My netbook seems to be having no troubles, so that means it's not a router problem and that both of my wireless adapters for my desktop have issues... I hope I'm able to sit in at least one session before I have to play for reals.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon, I'm getting the problem on my netbook too. Arghhhhhhhhh. After an indeterminate amount of time, my desktop loses its wireless connection. Pulling out and reinserting the USB adapter causes a reconnection to happen, but not for long. The problems happen on both Vista and Ubuntu partitions. I've experienced similar problems with my PCI adapter on my desktop and now with my netbook. Telus recently replaced our router, it's now using WPA2 Personal, but I remember having similar connection problems before, though not as frequent or severe. Any one able to offer any advice (other than bug Telus, which is usually ineffective)? It's just really annoying, as I'm always caught with several hanging SSH connections.

(Mostly venting above; if anyone is able to help me, just send a PM instead of derailing this thread.)

EDIT2: Confirmed it's a problem with the new router. When I'm running both my desktop and netbook, both lose their connections at the same time.

CONTINUE ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Also, the chess segment was just surreal, and makes me want to play Go again.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Also, the chess segment was just surreal, and makes me want to play Go again.

If you think it's surreal in the log, you should have seen my face at that moment in the session. Luckily, Vitze used to know one of those guys who plays speed chess for money in the street. tongue

Well, unless anyone in Blood Marsh is holding out on me when it comes to availability, it looks like the 28th is sticking.

Also, Kundak still has to level up. And he probably should.

Originally Posted By: Brilar, priest of Kyrophius
"Sometimes, I worry. Ours is an order built on secrets. How are we to know what the rest of the order is doing? We could be working at cross-purposes, and likely would not know until it was too late."

Click to reveal..

Name: Kundak Skylark
Race: Dragonborn
Religion: Phol-Phoram
Alignment: Magnanimous

Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 7
HP: 19/20 (+2)
Stamina: 7/10

Magic (Conjuration): 10 (+2)
First Aid: 4
Magic (Divination): 3
Martial (Shuriken): 2
Diplomacy: 1

Wait. Why's May 21st and May 22nd out on the calendar? There may be a potential spot there for the final session we're overlooking.

At any rate (and I know this is going to sound callous), I'd recommend using an earlier date. Yes, the entire party should be there, but the problem is, setting a date that far ahead runs the risk of things popping up in the interim. Meaning we could end up approaching the 28th, only to find out that no, the entire party won't be able to make that date.

Just my two cents here.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
At any rate (and I know this is going to sound callous), I'd recommend using an earlier date. Yes, the entire party should be there, but the problem is, setting a date that far ahead runs the risk of things popping up in the interim. Meaning we could end up approaching the 28th, only to find out that no, the entire party won't be able to make that date.

Ridiculous. You're proposing that we select a date where we know party members will be absent in exchange for a date where party members might possibly in the future eventually have conflicts? Makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: Dantius

Ridiculous. You're proposing that we select a date where we know party members will be absent in exchange for a date where party members might possibly in the future eventually have conflicts? Makes no sense.

...Except that Bloodmarsh Players' track records with attendance has been spotty, at best. How many times have we had a date people said would work, only for said people to drop off the face of the earth when the session actually arrives? More times then we ought to have, at any rate. If the party could get all its members together consistently without last-minute problems, I wouldn't even suggest this in the first place.

At any rate, I can't see the calendar myself, so there may be other factors I don't know about. If I were running this campaign, though, I'd probably pull the trigger on this early. But then, Eph's running it, so it's ultimately his decision.

Oh, yeah, I stand by my claim that greater calendar difficulties = greater awesomeness. I feel my theory has been proven by the difficulties I'm encountering with scheduling the next Brigandage session, since I've gone from having roughly a quarter of the calendar to choose from to having absolutely no clear days at all.

Wait. Why's May 21st and May 22nd out on the calendar? There may be a potential spot there for the final session we're overlooking.

See, when I leave dates off the calendar, I have a good reason. In this particular case, it is because I will be out of town and unable to DM. I will be unavailable from the 21st to the 23rd, and I apologize for that.

Look, the calendar is just downright stupid. And for now, unless I suddenly get word that people can make dates they couldn't make before, the final Blood Marsh session remains slated for Friday the 28th.

I know it just means I'm stupid, but I'd rather try and have everyone show up for the final session. The last thing I want is for someone to miss out on one last chance to do epic things. But rest assured, now that the date is set, we will play the final session on that day, and if you have a schedule conflict arise before then, it is on your head. I've been as flexible as humanly possible, and it's just time to set a date in stone so we can actually hope to finish this campaign before I disappear for a wholly unsatisfying two months.

Originally Posted By: Overheard in Sarden
"I saw it! Chak-Tha is here! Run for your lives!"

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
See, when I leave dates off the calendar, I have a good reason. In this particular case, it is because I will be out of town and unable to DM. I will be unavailable from the 21st to the 23rd, and I apologize for that.

Ah, damn. A part of me was hoping it was dates set aside for Selos, which were now free. frown

Quote:
Look, the calendar is just downright stupid. And for now, unless I suddenly get word that people can make dates they couldn't make before, the final Blood Marsh session remains slated for Friday the 28th.

I know it just means I'm stupid, but I'd rather try and have everyone show up for the final session. The last thing I want is for someone to miss out on one last chance to do epic things.

No, it means the scheduling is stupid. You're caught in a lose-lose; either you go ahead and do it early, in which case people are almost guaranteed to miss out, or you do it late and hope [censored] doesn't come up last minute.

Again, that's just what I'd do in this situation. You're more patient than I am, so... *shrug*

Well, do you want someone to sub for Kundak for the time after you leave? 'Cause we should be able to manage that. Sadly, the session isn't moving at this point.

Originally Posted By: Orlis the Cliffpainter
"If we grant ourselves the power to shape one world, who is to say we cannot make the stars our canvas?"

Just a reminder, as the final session of Selos and the Oracle is now complete. If the Selos folks could direct their posts to the postmortem thread, that would be awesome. I do plan to close this thread once Blood Marsh wraps up and the final log is posted.

(log will follow when I can manage to process it)

Originally Posted By: Khashen, the Oracle of Selos
"All tales come to an end. But for every end, there are dozens of beginnings."

Hey all, it's about time I posted the LOG of the final Selos session. So there it was, in that previous sentence. Now, quotes!

Click to reveal.. (Ultiquotes?)
  • Boregloaf: "All right, let's finish this and go home."
  • Kundak: "If someone wants this to be more comical, I can make us trip on marbles."
  • Lanrezac: "Sliros won't allow this destruction to continue!"
  • Nixak: "No one enters my mind!"
  • Chak-Tha: "Little bugs, little bugs, walking on the sand. Little bugs, little bugs, crushed beneath my hand... Do you hear the footsteps? Do you feel the burn? Little bugs, little bugs, soon you all will learn!"
  • Vitze: "There's only one person who can burn me and get away with it, and it's sure as hells not you."

So that's it! The Selos campaign is complete! As always, the logs will be available here.

Remember, the FINALE of the Blood Marsh campaign will be Friday, May 28th, 6:30pm CDT. Be there.

To second Nioca,

HEY! Blood Marsh Finale on Friday! 6:30pm CDT! BE THERE!

...or your character might just get outright killed.

Originally Posted By: Lerasti, historian
"One of Chamulsep's more gruesome tactics was to forcibly reanimate his fallen foes, binding their tortured souls to his service. This alone nearly doomed the Alliance, until the spellweavers of Selos found a way to guard against it. Mercifully, such abominable spells as those Chamulsep used have been lost to the mists of time."

Originally Posted By: eCool
Must. . . resist. . . urge to. . . call. . . bluff. . .

It's your funeral. Er, Sawbones's funeral.

Also, I would still appreciate epilogue/interlude pieces from the Selos crew. I have all of one so far.

Originally Posted By: Keoshor, Sorceress of Fates
"If there are in fact worlds beyond our own, I wonder. Do they all possess parallel planes such as our world's Nether? Or are there even stranger configurations of planar bodies?"

Final Level-Up. If possible, I will of course be using Allen again.

I'll get to work on an interlude/epilogue.

Click to reveal..

Name: Allen "Sawbones" Macterris

Alignment: Convenience

Race: Goblin

Deity: Phol-Phoram

Strength: 5

Max Health: 32 HP

Martial (Medical Equipment): 6

First Aid: 6

Nature: 2

Crafting (Medical): 3

Intimidate: 1

Perks:

* Surgical Precision - You score critical hits on natural rolls of both 19 and 20.

Originally Posted By: eCool
Final Level-Up. If possible, I will of course be using Allen again.

Hah. Thanks for confirming my sanity. Finally someone else doing the final level up. I'd started wondering if I'd just imagined Eph telling us we could when after a couple weeks no one but me had posted one (though I did it over in the Postmortem thread). tongue

And Selos people: get busy on those epilogues! shocked

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Hah. Thanks for confirming my sanity. Finally someone else doing the final level up. I'd started wondering if I'd just imagined Eph telling us we could when after a couple weeks no one but me had posted one (though I did it over in the Postmortem thread). tongue

Eh, I knew we could, but since I didn't have anything in mind and since leveling up is probably going to get reconfigured anyway, I figured it could wait.

Dikiyoba will send in Boregloaf's interlude soon after Ephesos asks for character intros for the next Kyrophius conspiracy campaign. tongue

I think that the final session of BM really taught the necessity of some things. Like, for instance, healing.

Also, I did not know that my HP was that high. I thought it was at 25. Ah well, a pleasant surprise.

Click to reveal..

Name: Kurex

Alignment: Magnificent Bastard

Deity: Imaunte

Strength: 5

HP: 35/35 (+5)

Magic (Evocation): 10

Magic (Conjuration): 1

Martial (Sword): 2

Artifice: 2

Diplomacy: 2

Streetwise: 1

Stealth: 1

Click to reveal.. (spells)

Light (evocation): Creates a small hovering orb of light, or causes an object to glow softly

Ice Spray (evocation): Shoots a cloud of sharp ice particles at a target. Somewhat better than Magic Missile.

Magic Missile (evocation): Fires a bolt of energy at the target

Stun (evocation): Fires a powerful energy pulse at the target, knocking them off balance and stunning them. No damage.

Burning Hand(evocation): Projects a sheet of flame from the casters hand. Relatively short range attack.

My final level... Amadan's all grown up now... *sniff*

Click to reveal.. (Amadan Rayton)
AMADAN RAYTON
Click to reveal.. (Bio)

Alignment: Quiet Pragmatic

Homeland: Ona

Deity: Liea, Goddess of Fire and Stone

Attributes

Level - 7

Strength - 3

Dexterity - 6

Intelligence - 5 (+1)

HP - 24 (+3)

Speed - 5

Stamina - 10

Skills

Martial (Bows): 7

Magic (Transmutation): 4

Crafting (Alchemy): 2

Stealth: 2

Nature: 2

Perception: 2

Artifice: 1

Traits

Negative Animal Attraction (Weakness) - For whatever reason, Amadan tends to attract animals, and animals around him tend to go hostile.

Free Fire Arrows (Ability) - Amadan gets 2 free casts of the Fire Arrow spell each day.

Liea's Blessing (Perk) - Amadan, who has somewhat inadvertently forged a deeper connection with Liea, receives Liea's Blessing, giving him a +1 bonus to all attack rolls involving fire, as well as a small damage bonus for the same.

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)
Items

4 Gold, 1 Silver, 5 Coppers (4.15 Gold)

Ricochet Bow (arrows ricochet back toward target on miss)

Quiver

Steel Arrows (x14)

Leather Armor (+1 Armor)

Satchel

Empty Vials (x1)

Small Knife

Mortar and Pestle

Healing Potion

Steelskin Tonic

Water Flasks (x4)

Preserved Food (x4)

Vials of Walker Juice (x2)

Rope

Click to reveal.. (Spellbook)
Spellbook Fire Arrow (1S) - Wreathes an arrow in flame. 2 free casts/day.

Loft - Makes an object lighter.

Repair - Repairs an object, assuming one has all the pieces.

Detrimentum - Disrupts the molecular structure of a target, damaging it.

Spinneret Arrow (?S) - Transforms an arrow into a mass of sticky webbing on impact, entangling and bogging down the target.

CryoArrow (2S) - Turns an arrowhead into an icy explosive.

Cleanse - Cleanses a targeted object of filth and impurities.

Comestible Succor - Makes a targeted object edible

Explosive Arrow (1S) - Renders an arrow volatile, causing it to explode on impact. The more stamina, the bigger the blast.