Character level and HP?

snowman1991

It would appear that there is a random factor involved in the HP gained with each level. Here is the relevant code:

Code:
// This array is used in the code, but declared elsewhere.short skill_bonus[21] = {-3,-3,-2,-1,0,0,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,4,4,4,5,5};while (univ.party[pc_num].experience >= (univ.party[pc_num].level * (univ.party[pc_num].get_tnl()))) {    play_sound(7);    univ.party[pc_num].level++;    sprintf ((char *) c_line, "  %s is level %d!  ",(char *) univ.party[pc_num].name.c_str(),univ.party[pc_num].level);    add_string_to_buf((char *) c_line);		    univ.party[pc_num].skill_pts += (univ.party[pc_num].level < 20) ? 5 : 4;    add_hp = (univ.party[pc_num].level < 26) ? get_ran(1,2,6) + skill_bonus[univ.party[pc_num].skills[0]]        : max (skill_bonus[univ.party[pc_num].skills[0]],0);    if (add_hp < 0)        add_hp = 0;    univ.party[pc_num].max_health += add_hp;    if (univ.party[pc_num].max_health > 250)        univ.party[pc_num].max_health = 250;    univ.party[pc_num].cur_health += add_hp;    if (univ.party[pc_num].cur_health > 250)        univ.party[pc_num].cur_health = 250;    put_pc_screen();}

Translated into English, this means the following: if the PC is below level 26, a random number from 2 to 5 is added to the skill bonus obtained from your strength, which is a number from -2 to 5. (If I'm not mistaken, the -3 entry would apply if your strength were 0, which isn't possible.) So, you gain between 0 and 10 health, with higher strength ensuring a higher gain. However, once you hit level 26 or above, the random factor is gone, and you just get your strength bonus added to your max health, which is a number from 0 to 5 depending on your strength.

...Another interesting thing to notice here is that you only get 4 skill points per level once you hit level 20. I never noticed that before.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
If I'm not mistaken, the -3 entry would apply if your strength were 0, which isn't possible

Based on the skill_bonus array, it also apply if you have 1 strength. wink

So, you gain between 0 and 10 health, with higher strength ensuring a higher gain.

Exact, except that the random roll is inclusive, so the max is 6 and with the 5 max bonus, the gain is between 0 and 11, until level 26 is reached.

Another interesting thing to notice here is that you only get 4 skill points per level once you hit level 20. I never noticed that before.

Neither do i, but it's in the Windows code as well ... Must be that at such level, the visit to the trainer is less frequent smile

Chokboyz

Originally Posted By: Chokboyz
Exact, except that the random roll is inclusive,
Oh, really? That's unusual... I just assumed it would follow standard conventions. And it's been a few months since I worked on the code, so I must've forgotten that quirk (if I ever knew it).

...I should probably take a look to make sure I haven't broken that behaviour, since I might have rewritten the get_ran function to use std::rand() instead of Quickdraw's Random() function.