Avernum 3 party equipment - I'd like to settle this

So I've been trying to figure out once and for all what the best possible equipment is for the end game. I use four nephils with fast on feet and natural mage who reach around level 50 by the end. All have mage spells at 9 and priest spells at 12 (counting equipment) except char 3 has mage spells at 18 after equipment and char 4 has priest spells at 18 after equipment. All are good fighters but the first two are better at it.

Once, I found a Nimble Band in the random shop in Lorelei and a Crystal Imbued Shield in the random shop in the Tower of Magi. This is assuming such random items aren't for sale and also assuming you don't enhance your equipment. Also, only 1 Mithril Blade. Finally, I don't get Paulo's Mage Bracelet so I use a Priest Bracelet on character 2 instead. Here's what I have. Also, I try to have Resist Petrification on everyone (how useful is this anyway?).

Character 1

-Mithril Blade

-Blessed Bow

-Naturewalker's Torc

-Polished Plate Mail

-Pants of Power

-Boots of Speed

-Gauntlets of Might

-Archer's Cloak

-Assassin's Band

-Warrior's Bracelet

-War Charm

Character 2

-Black Halberd

-Blessed Crossbow (+) (+1 Pole weapons)

-Ruby Helmet

-Pachtar's Plate Mail

-Pants of Power

-Boots of Speed

-Humanskin Gloves

-Pilgrim's Cloak

-Assassin's Band

-Priest's Bracelet

-War Charm

Character 3

-Obsidian Spear

-Crystal Imbued Shield

-Fury Crossbow

-Thinking Cap

-Robe of the Magi

-Pants (+) (5% less chance to be hit)

-Boots of Speed

-Humanskin Gloves

-Dragonskin Cloak

-Ring of Endless Magery

-Mage's Bracelet

-Dryad's Blessed Charm

Character 4

-Justice Lance

-Blessed Crossbow

-Golem Diadem

-Polished Plate Mail

-Iridium Pants

-Boots of Speed

-Drakeskin Gloves (+) (+5% missle chance to hit)

-Vahnatai Cloak (+) (30% cold resistance)

-Nimble Band

-Priest's Bracelet

-Freedom Charm

For character 2, how would a Thirsting Blade compare to the Obsidian Spear? It doesn't seem to drain life all that often, and the +1 combat skills seems balanced by the higher natural damage output of the spear.

For character 4, a Mithril Woven Robe or a Steel Helmet (+) (Resist Petrification) and a Radiant Robe can also work. Prismatic Torc is comparable to Golem Diadem if you can't find one.

And for my Soul Crystal, I like Drake Lord, Rakshasa, Ur-Basilisk, and either:

Haakai

Lich

Dark/Unholy Wurm (which is better anyway?)

Could anyone give me any advice on which monsters to use for the crystal?

Are there any other really nice pieces of equipment I'm forgetting?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

You should always have the lead character with resist petrification item. The AI usually attacks the lead character and ignores the others during the initial round unless a successful petrification occurs.

There is a topic somewhere discussing which monsters should go into a soul crystal.

Originally Posted By: Barzhal
That is true about petrification, however, I prefer the 100% chance of reload upon petrification remedy. I can't justify the sacrifice of a better bonus when there's the easy alternative.

I know what you mean. What alternatives would you suggest? I don't think you can really beat Polished Plate Mail and Crystal Imbued Shield. Maybe a Golem Diadem over the Ruby Helmet, but I can't really think of anything much better, and another Diadem would be really hard to find and it might not be better anyway.