your guys names (question)

llloyd

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few people here switch displayed names regularly, but have sort of canonical names by which they the are known. Primary among these are Alorael and Slartucker. Note that the names we typically use to refer to these persons do not necessarily have anything to do with their given names, but are just additional names they assigned to themselves on these and related boards.

Only a few people here talk in the third person, and it is generally supposed to have nothing to do with displayed name switching, although now that you mention it, it does seem like there might be a rather marked correlation. Clearly we need a statistical study.

Finally, since you have mastered differentiation between 'there' and its homonyms, llloyd, I suggest you tackle punctuation next. tongue

Alorael (1 on the top posters list) switches his names because he was pissed that he didn't get a custom title from Drakefyre like almost all the other top posters. For example, Slarty (8 on the Top Posters list) has "Metyphor of Babylon" below his name, and Alorael has nothing. All the others do it to imitate him, because they think it is cool. It got tired when people who were not Slarty or Alorael tried it (Hi, Nalyd and w-dueck!)

People that regularly change their PDNs are Alorael (daily), Slartucker, Dikiyoba, Nikki, and Nalyd.

Some that change their PDNs with a variation of their older PDN are Arancaytar the Grey, Goldking, Jumpin' Salmon, Infernal Flamming Muffin, Artemis, w-dueck, Jewels, Duck in a Top Hat, ...

At least some of them are recognizable

Edit - I forgot Terror's Martyr ™.

TM (currently listed as Donald Hebb, and currently absent) was the first to change his name frequently. He was still called TM because that was his first, most frequent, and most convenient name, and the one he used everywhere name changing wasn't possible (AIM, other forums).

I was the first to change my name daily, like clockwork. I'd been Alorael for years before that, and I still sign my posts with that moniker, so it has stuck.

For the rest, you generally get to keep the name you had longest. If not, you get stuck with something that's sticky, and it's unlikely to be what you would choose for yourself.

—Alorael, who thinks the name-changing is a means of display. Without avatars or the ability to set one's own title, names and signatures are the only options. They are optioned frequently.

I would love to say why i think they're frivilous, but does anyone not think it would just end up with.

1.Not logically needed, for periods are only needed with sentances next to each other, which i did not have.

2.Periods and capitilization are part of the rules of the english language, and most others, and should be abided by as such.

Personally, when there are 2 very good and viable points of view to take I just see which one seems cooler and abide by it hypocritically.

I change my PDN regularly, and am known for my given RL name, rather than the PDN I had for the longest ("SupaNik"). I actually can't remember the last time somebody addressed me as "SupaNik" (though I still get my name shortened to "Nik" semi-regularly).

I should change my PDN again, I think.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
What do you mean by avatar? Avatars are the pictures displayed under PDNs.
Yes, I know. I was being clever since I don't have one.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
I should probably change my name back; the new generation is already starting to call my Arancaytrus. tongue

My most epic PDN-fail was probably when I changed it to Aranfoolcaytar and JV mentioned me on the SW homepage news using that name.
First, what's your "real" name? Second, that fail is so spectacular, it would make my life.

ive always been lifeguardernie online but when i started playing halo i named my profile darth ernie. i felt it needed a little something extra (something about shooting people does that to you) and darth did it.

when i saw this topic of names i decided to switch some onlines names also.

so its pretty much thanks to this topic that i have this name.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Originally Posted By: Nalyd
We have avatars, Alo.
He knows this; I'm pretty sure he was speaking about historical reasons for frequent PDN changes.

Yes. And fun fact: I can, in fact, give myself a custom title. And probably an image in my signature with some fiddling, although I haven't bothered to test it.

—Alorael, who believes this is even acceptable abuse of power. Unlike, say, editing everyone else's posts so that they contain his avatar. That is not acceptable.