How to raise skills when level.

How

How, Jeff Vogel is very obviously a man who is learning by doing. I can assure you that a lot of technical imbalances are smoothed out nicely in the Avernum series, which is probably one of the reasons why he did the remake.

You'll notice more of such flaws as you'll progress in the game. And yet, it is a beautiful thing. A remake always loses some of the freshness and vitality a story had when it was newly created.

But, to enjoy this beauty, you've got to play the darn thing. wink

In E2 the route to Formello is easier if you follow the road east from Fort Draco past Tor's Farm (a source of easy experience) and then go south as soon as you can. There aren't as many dangerous encounters as along the southern route. You don't have the money to buy a boat yet to avoid random encounters.

Nioca - ask for Fenwick if you want to talk to the oldest gamer on the board. At least he is from what I've seen since he's about 60.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
In E2 the route to Formello is easier if you follow the road east from Fort Draco past Tor's Farm (a source of easy experience) and then go south as soon as you can. There aren't as many dangerous encounters as along the southern route. You don't have the money to buy a boat yet to avoid random encounters.

Nioca - ask for Fenwick if you want to talk to the oldest gamer on the board. At least he is from what I've seen since he's about 60.
Right now I'm in the Neph Castle fighting my way around.
BTW, what's the story with weight of things you carry and encumberance? I don't see any stats. Or, can I carry whatever I can?

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Encumbrance only affects what you can wear -- there's no weight limit in Exile 1 or 2.
It also affects your ability to cast mage spells. Since all my PCs are high-level mages (among other things), I usually have a heck of a time keeping my encumbrance down and still have a decent chance of my armor absorbing at least some damage. On the plus side, though, encumbering items are usually worth a lot of money, so I just sell them off, pocket the cash, and buy a ton of spells.
Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:It was a joke because people were talking about their age. It was meant to be funny, not serious.
Actually, it started out as an offhanded comment by me about my age, and was meant to be nothing more. It just snowballed out of control. I won't do that again; once burned, twice shy, as the saying goes. frown

Just for clarity's sake: Encumbrance is determined by what you wear (not what you carry), and it has two effects, which can be partially mitigated by Defense skill: lowering your to-hit chance, and making your mage spells fail.

I seem to recall finding a plethora of superb 0 and 1 encumbrance armor pieces in all three Exiles. Maybe not enough for a party of six mages, but if you have six mages then how is anything making it to melee range anyway? Make one mage a tank for when you're in a narrow maze and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally written by Thahd Lemonade:
I seem to recall finding a plethora of superb 0 and 1 encumbrance armor pieces in all three Exiles. Maybe not enough for a party of six mages, but if you have six mages then how is anything making it to melee range anyway? Make one mage a tank for when you're in a narrow maze and you should be fine.
Don't worry, I'm no newbie, I find a ton of suitable armor pieces (no pun intended), even for a 6-mage party. Junk shops are wonderful places to buy stuff, especially in E3. edit: Mithral Chain Mail: Need I say more?

As for something making it to melee range, what little that does is usually dead one or two rounds later anyway, so no biggie there.

By the way, all 6 of my mages are also trained as priests. It's expensive as heck, and I have some trouble against heavy-armored troops, but I've been playing like this long enough to know what I'm doing.

One of your characters has been dumbfounded. Your fighters won't show much reaction to that, but your mage/priest loses the ability to cast higher level spells for a while. It wears off after some time.

As your priest gains levels, he will get access to a mind curing spell.

Quote:
Originally written by ef:
One of your characters has been dumbfounded. Your fighters won't show much reaction to that, but your mage/priest loses the ability to cast higher level spells for a while. It wears off after some time.

As your priest gains levels, he will get access to a mind curing spell.
TY Ef. Is there a chart that explains these symbols?