How to raise skills when level.

How

You need a trainer to increase your skills. There's one in Fort Draco who, for a small fee, does offer that service to you. I've forgotten how E2 handles the procedure. If it is the same as in E1, ask 'train' and a menue pops up that lets you choose the character you want to buy the training for. Alternatively you can just click on 'buy' in the dialogue window.

Not every town offers training, just as not every town has a sage who identifies your stuff, or a fletcher to get new arrows, or an alchemist to stock up on potions.

edit: seems you found out on your own while I got me a coffee, but I let the post stand as it is smile

Quote:
Originally written by ef:
You need a trainer to increase your skills. There's one in Fort Draco who, for a small fee, does offer that service to you. I've forgotten how E2 handles the procedure. If it is the same as in E1, ask 'train' and a menue pops up that lets you choose the character you want to buy the training for. Alternatively you can just click on 'buy' in the dialogue window.

Not every town offers training, just as not every town has a sage who identifies your stuff, or a fletcher to get new arrows, or an alchemist to stock up on potions.

edit: seems you found out on your own while I got me a coffee, but I let the post stand as it is smile
That sux. I know that trainer in Draco. Tho he isn't terribly expensive,but early on it is costly. Used all my coin to train 5/6 guys.
Strange to have to pay to train when ine levels.

Some skills are more expensive than others. In fact, some are free in terms of cash (Luck). The cost becomes much less onerous later.

—Alorael, who considers trainers yet another reason to talk to everyone in every town exhaustively. You never know when you might need a little bit more aptitude.

How, when Alorael asked you to edit your posts, he didn't mean that you'd have to delete previous content and edit in new content all the time. He was just asking you not to doublepost. There are very young members on this board who'd probably triple- and quadruplepost without thinking much about it, if the mods didn't insist on editing.

It's better not to remove any old post material entirely just so the thread doesn't stop making sense. As it is there's an answer to question that doesn't exist anymore.

—Alorael, who also views entirely empty posts as an opportunity. When life hands you a blank slate (metaphorically) and the power to edit it (literally) that just may be a sign.

Quote:
How, when Alorael asked you to edit your posts, he didn't mean that you'd have to delete previous content and edit in new content all the time. He was just asking you not to doublepost. There are very young members on this board who'd probably triple- and quadruplepost without thinking much about it, if the mods didn't insist on editing.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally written by How:
That sux. I know that trainer in Draco. Tho he isn't terribly expensive,but early on it is costly. Used all my coin to train 5/6 guys.
Ever hear of scavenging to get cash? When I need money in any Exile game, I'll take anything that I can (even by stealing) and sell it. Therefore, my coin purse runneth over, and I rarely need money.

Quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:
Quote:
Ever hear of scavenging to get cash? When I need money in any Exile game, I'll take anything that I can (even by stealing) and sell it. Therefore, my coin purse runneth over, and I rarely need money.
Hear ya but I find that most of the items I get have no value at shops. Can't sell them.
<S>

Quote:
Hear ya but I find that most of the items I get have no value at shops. Can't sell them.
Some shops will only buy certain items (an armor merchant that will only buy armor, etc.), and junk dealers will usually give you cash for just about anything. Also, as I said before, I'm not above theft to get something valuable to sell; when I'm strapped for cash, it will sprout legs if there's nobody watching it.

Even if something is worth only 1 gold, I'll sell it. If something you pick up is truly worthless, it's normally a good idea to just go and dump it somewhere where you know it'll disappear, so you don't pick it up again.

And if you're truly in dire straits for money, there's always the character editor...

Some shops will only sell and not buy, some only buy the kind of stuff they sell (if they sell weapons, they'll buy weapons from you, but not armour), some buy all the stuff you have. There should be two shops keepers close to the trainer in Fort Draco who'll buy weapons and armour from you, for everything else you'll have to wait until you reach Formello.

edit: The Mystic was faster

Quote:
Some shops will only sell and not buy, some only buy the kind of stuff they sell (if they sell weapons, they'll buy weapons from you, but not armour), some buy all the stuff you have. There should be two shops keepers close to the trainer in Fort Draco who'll buy weapons and armour from you, for everything else you'll have to wait until you reach Formello.

Thanks EF. I've been there but they don't seem to want much of the basic weapons/armor that I've found and would like to sell. At least, no value shows up next to those items when I click on SELL. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Quote:
Originally written by SkrOH:
Are you sure you've identified them? Yes, you have to identify things as boring as ordinary arms and armor if you don't have much Item Lore.

—Alorael, who hopes you don't mind losing a few gold on every identification before making any profit whatsoever.
I believe that is the problem. I'd given several of my party of 6, 1 level of Item Lore but I guess not enuf. How many must have it for me to ID these simple items? Also, I don't remember seeing anyone in Draco who can ID things.
SIGH
A bit frustrated.........
Thanks for your help, tho.

Quote:
most towns have one
That's his problem. Fort Draco hasn't. You'll get your things identified in Formello later on.

Well, a low level party is a low level party. Not every one needs the best of weapons and armour right away. There is a lot of stuff you can do just wearing leather armour and wielding a bronze sword. If your pole fighter feels stuck with his stone tipped spear, he'll have to wait and learn to make the best use of it.

You don't need that much money right away. Collect the coins your enemies drop; buy little, you'll find most of the things you'll need; train a little, if you can afford it. Everything else comes with time.

edit: remember to bless and hasten at least one of your fighters, have one mage know 'fireball', and your priest cast 'wound'. That helps.

Quote:
I was? That's weird, because I'm not known for speed.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Also, you can only sell items that have been identified.
Thanks for the reminder; I forgot all about that! I haven't played the Exile/Avernum series games for a while, and being kind of the "old man" around here (at least in terms of age--check my profile to see what I mean), sometimes my brain doesn't work right. I also have a VERY old-school RPG that I went back to for a while, where you don't necessarily need stuff identified to sell it.
Quote:
I don't mean to be such a noob about these matters.
No problem, we've all been there. Unlike you, I didn't know about this forum at the time, and had to learn everything on my own. I'm just glad I got the hint books when I registered, or I'd still be somewhat lost.

Quote:
Quote:
I was? That's weird, because I'm not known for speed.

Quote:
Also, you can only sell items that have been identified.
Thanks for the reminder; I forgot all about that! I haven't played the Exile/Avernum series games for a while, and being kind of the "old man" around here (at least in terms of age--check my profile to see what I mean), sometimes my brain doesn't work right. I also have a VERY old-school RPG that I went back to for a while, where you don't necessarily need stuff identified to sell it.
Quote:
I don't mean to be such a noob about these matters.
No problem, we've all been there. Unlike you, I didn't know about this forum at the time, and had to learn everything on my own. I'm just glad I got the hint books when I registered, or I'd still be somewhat lost.
Yeah..I did register and pay for the CD and hint book a few days ago. I guess it's otw. I love supporting such fine independant work! These guys deserve every penny.

Quote:
Item Lore isn't very reliable; I never bother to get any. You're better off finding a sage to identify your items for you; most towns have one.
Actually, Item Lore can be quite useful; the only drawback I've found is that it only works when a monster drops an item though.
Quote:
Originally written by Sturg:
Yeah, and also, if there's no monsters to fight in the immediate area, you can blow some spell points casting Identify.
I forgot all about that one too. Remind me to replay E1, E2, & E3 once I'm done reconquering Geneforge, so I can relearn everything again.

The problem is that Item Lore is so expensive, in gold but mainly in skill points. At FOUR skill points per point of Item Lore, it's easily the game's worst value. (Well, maybe it's better than buying Health directly.) Item Lore is a relatively small convenience, for which you are willing to give up 2 points of Edged Weapons, or 1 1/3 points of Intelligence? Or most of a point in Luck or Priest Spells? Absurd.

I have sometimes edited 10 points into my singleton games, just to make monster drops less than totally useless.

Quote:
Originally written by Thahd Lemonade:
The problem is that Item Lore is so expensive, in gold but mainly in skill points. At FOUR skill points per point of Item Lore, it's easily the game's worst value. (Well, maybe it's better than buying Health directly.) Item Lore is a relatively small convenience, for which you are willing to give up 2 points of Edged Weapons, or 1 1/3 points of Intelligence? Or most of a point in Luck or Priest Spells? Absurd.

I have sometimes edited 10 points into my singleton games, just to make monster drops less than totally useless.
I just got the registered copy. I raised everyone's Item Lore to 8 as a test and still, several items are not being identified by the party. Very bizarre. It would seem that the stat is useless if it doesn't work with a total party lore of 48. And, I'm talking about low level items still showing up with a ?

Quote:
Quote:

I just got the registered copy. I raised everyone's Item Lore to 8 as a test and still, several items are not being identified by the party. Very bizarre. It would seem that the stat is useless if it doesn't work with a total party lore of 48. And, I'm talking about low level items still showing up with a ?
Those items are probably cursed. It usually takes much higher levels of Item Lore to identify cursed items than to identify normal, or slightly blessed ones.

Quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:
Quote:
Quote:

Those items are probably cursed. It usually takes much higher levels of Item Lore to identify cursed items than to identify normal, or slightly blessed ones.
No. Not cursed, trust me. I just maxxed Lore on my entire party and still some items show up with question marks.

Quote:
I just maxxed Lore on my entire party and still some items show up with question marks.
Some items (like the mist globes) have their abilities hidden from view, even when identified, so they'll still have question marks. To find out what those items do, you have to use them; some are good, most are bad.

The only other thing I can think of is that, if I remember correctly, Item Lore is checked when the item is generated. So increasing it afterwards will have no effect on the items already in your inventory. (I don't remember whether and how Item Lore affects the items that are already in the room before you kill anything.)

Interesting thoughts and suggestions. By the way, I'm speaking of common items like leathers armor, spears etc, nothing rare.

Dropping and picking up items did not work.

Most of the weapons and armor in my inventory show no value when I try to sell them to the armor or weapon dealer in Draco. I guess I'll learn more when I get further into the game.

Item lore doesn't work too well in a beginning party. The worst is finding that an items value is below the identification cost. You can use save, try, remove, and reload to find out if the items are cursed.

Quote:
Originally written by the Mystic:

and being kind of the "old man" around here (at least in terms of age--check my profile to see what I mean)

You're still 16 years younger than me.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Item lore doesn't work too well in a beginning party. The worst is finding that an items value is below the identification cost. You can use save, try, remove, and reload to find out if the items are cursed.

Quote:
Originally written by the Mystic:
and being kind of the "old man" around here (at least in terms of age--check my profile to see what I mean)
Just where do I head from Draco area to find someone to ID my items?

Quote:
Just where do I head from Draco area to find someone to ID my items?
Formello. I haven't tried to push you in that direction, because...oh well, you'll see for yourself when you get there.

You'll want to reach Formello safely, so you should feel up to the occasional bands of nephilim and bandits that you may encounter.

Doing the nephil quest first though is usually advisable.

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is that, if I remember correctly, Item Lore is checked when the item is generated. So increasing it afterwards will have no effect on the items already in your inventory. (I don't remember whether and how Item Lore affects the items that are already in the room before you kill anything.)
The only time Item Lore is checked is when a monster drops an item, and increasing it doesn't affect your inventory at all (unless you're playing the Avernum series, where it identifies your items as it increases). Item Lore has no effect on items already in the room.

Quote:
Originally written by Pope John XX:
Perhaps dropping and then picking up the items would work?
It doesn't work; trust me. I tried that trick eight years ago, when I was a noob.
Quote:
Nice to know I'm not the oldest one here (not that it actually matters in the grand scheme of things), but so far every other birthdate I've seen in people's profiles has been at least a decade after mine. Then again, talking about one's age here is way off topic, so I'm just gong to drop it from here on out (edit: and suggest others follow suit).

Quote:
Quote:
The only time Item Lore is checked is when a monster drops an item, and increasing it doesn't affect your inventory at all (unless you're playing the Avernum series, where it identifies your items as it increases). Item Lore has no effect on items already in the room.

Quote:
Originally written by Pope John XX:
Perhaps dropping and then picking up the items would work?
It doesn't work; trust me. I tried that trick eight years ago, when I was a noob.
Quote:
Nice to know I'm not the oldest one here (not that it actually matters in the grand scheme of things), but so far every other birthdate I've seen in people's profiles has been at least a decade after mine. Then again, talking about one's age here is way off topic, so I'm just gong to drop it from here on out (edit: and suggest others follow suit).
Even new items I pick up are rarely IDs with a totaly party lore of 60.
I've no doubt that I am the oldest gamer here, probably by far.
(I've got 7 kids 4 of whom are doctors already.)

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
Nioca, are you paying attention? The next time you create an age poll, be sure to break up the adult categories into very small sections. The adults want bragging rights!

Dikiyoba means no offense or disrespect, of course.
LOL.

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
Nioca, are you paying attention? The next time you create an age poll, be sure to break up the adult categories into very small sections. The adults want bragging rights!

Dikiyoba means no offense or disrespect, of course.
That's fine, just two minor points I want to make...

1. I don't want to make another age poll.

2. Why is this here?