Avernum 6 - November update.

Spidweb

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Boats are available, but you're in the army so the paperwork is a mess. You are better off making one on your own. So be sure to collect wood, rope, tools, hammers, saws, and bolts of cloth for sails. smile

You know, it's so close to release time that I actually have reason to believe you tongue

Srsly, when I get a Mac next year, I'm going to torment everyone with my Beta Reports.

Quote:
Who knows, though, there could be a second map, or some other trickiness from Jeff.

I'm still hoping we get a tiny glimpse of the surface. Not much, just a little. It'd be nice to have the serious come full circle.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Boats are available, but you're in the army so the paperwork is a mess. You are better off making one on your own. So be sure to collect wood, rope, tools, hammers, saws, and bolts of cloth for sails. smile

Be sure to get access to the Enchanted Anvil in X's Tower by doing the quest for the Agent in Green Hill.

I've been a fan of Jeff Vogel's games for many years. I played Exile 1 and thought it was coolest thing ever. Every once in a while, still, a friend of mine and I talk about how diabolically hard the Golem factory in Exile III was. (Way too hard. Way, way too hard.) I lamented the party size being reduced to 4 for the Avernum series, got used to it though, and was thrilled by the continuing storyline. Avernum 5 was great fun, well written, with great gameplay enhancements.

Never got into the first-person RPGs like WOW, Neverwinter Nights. Haven't bought a new computer in 7 years, so I can't play them anyway. So on top of the history with this series, I rarely get a new RPG to play. And I'm old-school - I keep a hand written journal and questlog, character stuff in a notebook. No offense to Jeff's great in-game tools, I just like the pen and paper aspect of roleplaying.

anyway ... Thanks for the games Jeff. Now hurry up and release Avenum 6 !!!

And God said, Let there be light, and He saw that it was Good.

Yet the Flying Spaghetti Monster said, Hey Mate, I think I've got somethin' even better, to be Perfectly Honest with you.

And God said, Excuse me?

And the Flying Spaghetti Monster said, Let Spiderweb Software release Avernum 6, and let it be both Purchased and Played.

And They saw that it was Good.

This game = awesome. Haven't gotten very far at all, but man oh man. One thing really jumps out at me - thanks to dual wielding, swords now become potentially very powerful. Which mean that playing as humans might actually be superior in some situations. I'm sticking with my traditional party of one Slith and 3 Nephilim at the moment, because that's what I'm best at, but I tried dual wielding swords, and man is it fun(grin).

Originally Posted By: BrownieMix
This game = awesome. Haven't gotten very far at all, but man oh man. One thing really jumps out at me - thanks to dual wielding, swords now become potentially very powerful. Which mean that playing as humans might actually be superior in some situations. I'm sticking with my traditional party of one Slith and 3 Nephilim at the moment, because that's what I'm best at, but I tried dual wielding swords, and man is it fun(grin).

The advantage that a nephil has over the human is that you get bows and thrown weapons for free and this gives you battle disciplines much sooner. The 10% penalty isn't that significant in the end and it's easy to get 300 to 400 damage per round before armor/resistances using dual wielded swords. Against a single target you can sometimes do more damage than a spellcaster.

The new graphics are pretty sweet! However, I'm noticing some sluggishness at 1920x1200 w/ all the fx turned on. This seems to mirror my experience with GF5 (which A6's engine is based on right?). According to activity monitor both games peg my CPU usage at 100% regardless of resolution. The main runloop must be doing a busy wait...

Kind of annoying that one of my CPU cores is being needlessly tied up, since my fans spin up with that kind of usage. My machine is an 07' MBP 2.4GHz w/ a GF8600M 256MB. I'll try running at a lower resolution next time to see if there are any performance differences...

Anyways, despite the performance issues I'm really enjoying A6 so far! Those Sliths are up to something for sure... I just hope its officially released tomorrow so I can register before I hit the end of the demo region!

Edit: It looks like the game is officially up on the main page now!

Thanks Randomizer, I did have a chance to play around with the settings a bit and I found that changing the graphics quality (to partial graphics) didn't have much effect on frame rate. I tested all the 16:10 widescreen resolutions (or at least the ones that are available to me) and I've settled on 1600x1000 as the best compromise between speed and quality for now. At 1920x1200 my framerate was dropping down to 15 in the castle, and lower during some fights.

As for the CPU usage, thats another issue. I guess I should start a thread on the support forum rather than hijacking this one...