Avernum 6 - November update.

Spidweb

Good news from the Avernum front. The game is done. It has been passing smoothly through beta testing. It should be out for the Macintosh before the end of November.

A lot of work recently has been on balancing the late game. A lot of people had trouble with the difficulty of Avernum 5. I've been working hard to make sure that when you're playing on Normal difficulty you don't need to be super-skilled to just get through the storyline. Of course, if you want a challenge, Hard and Torment difficulties are available.

Also, if you want things to be really easy, the character editor and cheat codes are still in there.

Almost all of the graphics in the game have been redone. I'm putting the final touches on the completely refreshed item graphics.

The game is, as is traditional, enormous. There is a LOT of stuff to do, and the main storyline alone is full of excitement and incident. And be careful about who who help. Your actions can result in drastically different futures for the world of Avernum.

Today, I am putting together the final version of the application and sending it to testers. Then, barring disasters, I'll start on the million different bizness things I need to do to finish a game. I hope to have more screenshots up very soon.

So keep an eye on the main Avernum 6 page:

http://www.avernum.com/avernum6/index.html

Onward to victory!

- Jeff Vogel

As soon as you have a firm date I'll put on my calendar "Buy A6". Unfortunately I was just informed that I have to work over the holidays (ugh), so I'll be just a wee bit delayed in enjoying it.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but what is the next RPG series now that Avernum is complete?

Jeff applies a multiplier to monster health, damage, and a few other things to differentiate the difficulty levels. Basically on torment the monsters have 4 times their health.

Jeff is planning to make there be some real differences in the harder playing levels, but I'm adopting a wait and see attitude on whether they make a real difference.

Woo! Can't wait for A6. Glad it'll be out so soon, too. laugh Rock on.

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
Thanks for touching base with us Jeff. Now if you only made your games for windows first....

It's actually easier to port a game from Mac to Windows than vice versa. Hence he saves time and money by doing it this way.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
I usually wait about a year after the initial release before I buy the game, just to make sure most of the bugs are worked out when I order the CD.
This is a good plan when buying computer hardware or operating system software, but really Spiderweb games rarely have bugs that are so bad as to warrant waiting a year before buying the game. I don't think you need to deny yourself the enjoyment for that long.

I'm confused. There are no new screenshots on the Avernum 6 page. I found the world map picture by changing the url/filename of one of the other screenshots, but are there more screenshots that I haven't found the links to?

Edit: Never mind, they've magically appeared. I must be in a time warp or something.