Updating the Help Files

Ishad Nha

Original help files can be updated to correct any mistakes or obscurities. Ditto if the game is radically rewritten in a way that affects the contents of the existing help files.

There are several possible formats: pdf, hlp or chm. I have the Help Compiler for the hlp format and the HTML Help Workshop for the chm format. Constituent files, chapters, needed by these two programs can be copied one at a time from the existing help file. (They typically produce help files composed of individual chapters.)

Does anyone know of any mistakes, obsolete features or whatever?

I have just updated the chapter on the PC Editor. I will have to research how you get the chm files to open from within a program.

Edit:

I have created a simple chm file for the Character Editor, now how to make it run from the program.

If you are having issues with help files, see this page from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Um, Ishad, what Chokboyz said. The documentation is already in the repository, in HTML format. Any .chm you make should be based directly off of that.

(Note: the editor docs in the repository are still full of unnecessary padding, which should be fixed at some point. But the game docs are ready for viewing.)

We have decided on chm rather than hlp files.

What is the code for making a help file run from a program menu? For hlp files it goes like this:

WinHelp(mainPtr,"PCEditor.hlp",HELP_CONTENTS,0L);

As for chm and htm files, is it a go to url function?

With a chm file you can easily decompile it into its constituent htm files even if you don't have the original versions.

Edit:

Decompiling makes alteration of files easy.

I downloaded the files, there are a few problems with apostrophes:

"•No Sounds - This option turns off the game’s sounds."

The hlp files are still included in the main game download, this needs to be updated.

Edit:

I have devised chm and hlp help files specifically for the Character Editor, they are included in my version of the PC Editor:

http://ishadnha.webs.com/BoEPCEditor2009.zip

(This is just the standard editor with tidied up dialog boxes.)

Ishad, the official version of the documentation is the HTML documentation available in the repository. If you want to use a .chm file, you should check out the docs from the repository and compile those into a .chm.

You could also take a look to see if there are any significant differences between the Windows and Mac versions of the help (the repository has the Mac version translated to HTML).

Mac, that might explain the funny apostrophes.

I can turn the Windows hlp file into a project, hpj, file with a quick bit of work. Then I can use a HTML Workshop porting function to create a chm file.

I still don't know how to run a chm file with F1 key.

Edit:

I have compiled a chm file. Now I am going through it and making corrections:

restoring the many missing apostrophes

making sure that changes to menus are reflected in the help file

rewriting material that seems connected to Exile 3, like section 3.4

removing any references to registration.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
(Note: the editor docs in the repository are still full of unnecessary padding, which should be fixed at some point. But the game docs are ready for viewing.)
I have a working copy of the docs that has a cleaned-up editor documentation. It'll be in my next commit.

Yes, Celtic Minstrel I am listening. The Windows help files are full of inaccuracies, references to Exile 3, you name it. They also may not be totally helpful for new players who don't know everything. In short they would benefit from revision.

Edit:

The people who really read the help files are the newbies. Basically the files have all sorts of material that is not as well written as it might be. There is also poor formatting.

You're giving me the impression that you're working from the original Windows documentation, which seems rather redundant when the original Mac documentation is already in the repository. Obviously it should be tweaked to note differences between the two versions, but basically what I'm saying is that I don't want two separate sets of documentation, one for Windows and one for Mac, if it can possibly be avoided.

Oh, and don't upload a chm. That's a product. Just upload the stuff you'd need to create it. (Unless you need a commercial program?)

I am working from the original Windows help file. When I get around to finishing it you can see if there are any differences then add a Mac differences section, if it is needed.

HTML Help Workshop is Windows freeware, it will turn the html "source files" into a chm. All you need are the source files.

I am not going to add a Mac differences section. I would prefer the Mac and Windows help to be integrated into a single document (or series of documents). This is why I was complaining that you don't seem to be listening to me.

But fine, if you insist on doing this, go for it. It's obvious I can't stop you, anyway. You could even email me the source HTML once you're done, so I can work on integrating it with the Mac help.

Tweaked to note differences, so the differences will be noted in the relevant parts of the file?

I have done the first seven chapters. The chm file will be included for feedback purposes, this enables people to see the new text as it will appear in the help file. Thus they can see how they like the changes. I use the menu names from the latest Windows version, the chm will make it easier to see where those names occur.