Any known issues on Windows 7?

Sukutak

I own the Geneforge Saga, and am planning on eventually getting the Avernum games. I'm currently running 64 bit Vista, but my computer came with an upgrade to 64 bit windows 7. I'm planning on upgrading around christmas time, so I have plenty of time to get things sorted out between semesters. One of the things I was wondering about, though, was compatibility with spiderweb games. I know one of windows 7's goals was compatibility with everything Vista could run, but has anyone tested out the games on 7?

I don't know about Geneforge, but I just installed the Avernum trilogy from the CD on my new Win 7 computer. It had similiar issues installing from the CD as it is reported to have on Vista, I had to open the files and run the individual installers for the games instead of running the installer that autoruns.

In terms of playing the games would not play past the opening until I right-clicked on the game file and chose "troubleshoot compatibility" I let it choose recommended settings and it chose to run the games in Win XP and now they run fine. So I would assume any compatibility issues with the other games could be fixed in a similar manner using the "troubleshoot compatibility" function.

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
games at cd are older versions than those that can be dl'd at spidweb's site, you can contact jeff and ask him to give you reg codes or discount to purchase new reg codes.
Or you could just install from the CD, then download & install the latest patch. That's what I had to do whenever I had to reinstall A1 and BoA.

Originally Posted By: Master1
For some upgrades, you need a new registration key.
Not to my knowledge, you don't; just make sure you have a copy of the file containing the registration info, and copy it into the game's folder after the upgrade.
So if I buy the entire Geneforge saga on a single cd, will it have the latest versions?
I don't see why not; there haven't been any updates in a while, so all the latest versions should be on the CD.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
For some upgrades, you need a new registration key.
Not to my knowledge, you don't; just make sure you have a copy of the file containing the registration info, and copy it into the game's folder after the upgrade.

I had the original copy of geneforge. When I downloaded a new copy of the latest version, it needed a new key. I believe the same thing happened with number 4 as well.

I had the original copy of geneforge. When I downloaded a new copy of the latest version, it needed a new key.
Did you save the Prefs file from your original copy of Geneforge? If so, it should be compatible with the newer version of the game, and you can move it to the data folder; otherwise, just ask Jeff for a new key.

• 3 weeks later...