Idiots

keira

Jewels: No other predator farms prey. Okay, no, that's not quite accurate, but no other predator farms the way we farm. We regularly inflict miserable lives on creatures for our taste buds' and stomaches' sakes. It's not the cycle of nature (not that that has anything to do with anything, really). Hunt something and kill it, fine. Control every moment of its life from birth to death, though, and you have more to answer for.

—Alorael, who isn't so sure that evolution has caught up with memetic advances in cuisine. Like many things, just because meat can be consumed happily doesn't mean it should be. Especially not in large quantities. Especially not as the central staple food.

Originally Posted By: While(life!=0) {life--;}
We regularly inflict miserable lives on creatures for our taste buds' and stomaches' sakes. It's not the cycle of nature (not that that has anything to do with anything, really). Hunt something and kill it, fine. Control every moment of its life from birth to death, though, and you have more to answer for.

What particular farms are you addressing here? I know of a few free-range places in your neck of the woods where the lives of the animals are not miserable. Putting aside the question of these animals living outside of captivity and domestication, life in nature is brutal and short. Winter starvation is common, as is predation by the canines, cats, and ursines.
I'm certainly not arguing in favor of factory farms, as they are an abomination upon mankind on so many levels, but the idea that we inflict anything as close to what nature would inflict is suspect at best. They get food and water and medical care, otherwise the farmer doesn't have a product to sell.
Still, I'll buy my beef from a local farmer, 1/2 a steer at a time. Cheaper, tastier, better for the environment and economy, and it's tough to run out of steaks.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Yes, I find it hard to see $25 for a rather long RPG as an unfair price. For basically the reasons Jeff talks about in the blog.

Or would you rather all of his games be $1 iPhone Bejeweled clones using Rentar-Ihrno instead of jewels? tongue

if jeff made an updated version of Stop Rentar i would totally buy it

Originally Posted By: Poached Salmon
I'm certainly not arguing in favor of factory farms, as they are an abomination upon mankind on so many levels, but the idea that we inflict anything as close to what nature would inflict is suspect at best.

And there you go. Factory farms are repulsive. Other farms? Fine.

Nature isn't all puppies and roses, but it isn't all miserable either. Factory farms are.

—Alorael who can't be fired. He qui--no, wait a minute.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
That's why he wouldn't know anything about our paychecks.

Dikiyoba actually didn't know anything about our paychecks either until just now. Alorael, you're fired.

You can't fire Alorael. He's the only one that can forge, I mean is authorized to sign Jeff's name to our paychecks.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Originally Posted By: Dantius
become a vegetarian(enjoy your pesticides),
Uh... what? How does vegetarian imply pesticides?

Yeah, it's well within the realm of possibility to get truly organic fruits & vegetables, or to have a garden. Heck, Nalyd's grandpa's garden fuels half the extended family.

Nalyd doesn't have a problem with vegetarianism. Just with vegetarianism for moral reasons. He finds them ridiculous, probably because he puts a low value on life.

Oh, and SoT: That's the way to mod! *applause*

I see nothing wrong with eating meat. It's part of life, it's been done for millions of years. Growing animals to the point where they are too fat to stand? That's just a bit disturbing. I wish there was a better alternative, but I'm 16 and dependent on what my parents buy.

Originally Posted By: I need no introduction
most animals are infereor to humans anyway so i have no problem eating them.
to quote winne-the poo "the only reason for being a bee that i know of is making honey, And the only reason for making honey is so I can eat it"

At least the bee has a purpose. What was mankind's, again?

It's not like a mass extinction has never occurred before or is unsurvivable and will render the planet lifeless. Life will adjust, as it always has and always will.

The purpose of life is to make more life. Quite simple, really.

The meaning of life, on the other hand, is 42, because someone had to say it.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
It's not like a mass extinction has never occurred before or is unsurvivable and will render the planet lifeless. Life will adjust, as it always has and always will.

Yes, it's just a question of whether humanity will be a part of the adjusting. Assuming that our species is indestructible does not help.

And arguing "purpose" in biology is meaningless. "Function" is much more fitting. After all, the purpose of an average bee is not to pollinate flowers. The main drives are still the same: hunger, reproduction, survival. There is no drive to pollinate, it is simple an emergent behavior based on the hunger drive. So within an ecosystem, bees fill the function of pollinating plants, but it is not their purpose.

Are we done here yet?