Glitch?

Fett0001

Originally Posted By: Fett0001
Relating to searching containers:

If I use the "l" shortcut to look and the down arrow key to pick the direction to search a container, the look mode doesn't end.

Confirmed. The bug is already present in the legacy version of Blades of Exile.
The funny part is that the only key that does so is the down arrow, not even the down keypad arrow. smile

I'm looking into this.

Chokboyz

Thanks for the quick responses. ^__^

You're welcome. smile

By the way, does anybody knows if the Ctrl key is used at all in Windows BoE (apart from the Ctrl+X shortcuts) ?
It seems there's a check for it but the only part it is actually used is a (faulty) check in the look mode ... (my guess is that it was supposed to allow multiple looks in a row ...)

Chokboyz

Originally Posted By: Chokboyz

By the way, does anybody knows if the Ctrl key is used at all in Windows BoE (apart from the Ctrl+X shortcuts) ?
It seems there's a check for it but the only part it is actually used is a (faulty) check in the look mode ... (my guess is that it was supposed to allow multiple looks in a row ...)

Chokboyz

Back in Exile 2, it was used for extra looks.

Back in Exile 2, it was used for extra looks.
This behaviour should be brought back if it doesn't already occur.

Note that on the Mac, Ctrl+click is identical to right-click, so it's probably best to do the same on Windows.

Using the find in all files function, searching for Ctrl: it seems only to occur for multiple looking. In practice it does allow multiple looking, this function is working properly in Windows.

If you keep pressing the Down arrow you keep searching the same square. If you press some other arrow key you Search the relevant square then the searching stops, it is not a really big bug.

Most people who do multilook could use the right click. It might be legacy from the old macs without two mouse buttons.

Yes, probably a mac to windows leftover ...

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
This behaviour should be brought back if it doesn't already occur.

I guess we can bring back the "holding Ctrl allows multiple looks" behavior ...
Edit : Done.

Note that on the Mac, Ctrl+click is identical to right-click, so it's probably best to do the same on Windows.

Are you suggesting we double the right-click with Ctrl+click ? If so, I understand that some Mac don't have a second mouse button, but that seems a bit redundant for other platforms ...

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
Using the find in all files function, searching for Ctrl: it seems only to occur for multiple looking. In practice it does allow multiple looking, this function is working properly in Windows.

I've found the same as you, Ctrl is only used for multiple looking in the Windows code. I disagree, though, it is not working properly : for example pressing the Key Down button counts as if the Ctrl key was pressed.
Edit: Nevermind, it's fixed.

it is not a really big bug

No, it's not wink

Chokboyz

Are you suggesting we double the right-click with Ctrl+click ? If so, I understand that some Mac don't have a second mouse button, but that seems a bit redundant for other platforms ...
Pretty much. On the Mac, it's standard for right-click to be the same as control-click, since not everyone will have a two-button mouse. You don't have to duplicate that on Windows, but consistency is nice.

Then right-clicking should also invoke the multi-look behaviour.

Originally Posted By: Mistb0rn
Isn't right-clicking on Windows just regular look? How would making it trigger a multi-look change anything? You'd still click the same number of times, and it would probably confuse everyone who's used to it the way it is.
...wait, what? We should not have Ctrl-click and right-click have a different effect. Either change right-click to trigger multi-look, or change ctrl-click to trigger either normal look or nothing, and then perhaps alt-click can trigger multi-look.

...wait, what? We should not have Ctrl-click and right-click have a different effect. Either change right-click to trigger multi-look, or change ctrl-click to trigger either normal look or nothing, and then perhaps alt-click can trigger multi-look.

Hmm ? Right-click has always been "look the space the cursor is on" and Ctrl-Click was "keep on looking until i release the Ctrl key, while in looking mode" before it was broken somewhere between Exile 2, Exile 3 and BoE.
If any of these should be changed, then i'll make Ctrl-Click does nothing (which it already did, except when in looking mode).

Chokboyz

On the Mac, right-click and ctrl-click should be absolutely equivalent to support single-button mice. Hence, having them do two different things on Windows would necessarily lead to an inconsistency in the controls. So, either make Ctrl-click equivalent to right-click, or make it do nothing.

I do like the multi-look function though. Can you manage an alt-click for that?

Hm...

On second thoughts, I have been neglecting the fact that Mac has one more modifier key than Windows. And it's quite natural to map the command key on Mac to the control key on Windows. So, if you want to keep Ctrl-click as multi-look, then on the Mac we'll make command-click be multi-look. Maybe it already is, I dunno.

And then alt-click could be something else, such as "use space"... hey, that's a good idea!

On second thoughts, I have been neglecting the fact that Mac has one more modifier key than Windows. And it's quite natural to map the command key on Mac to the control key on Windows. So, if you want to keep Ctrl-click as multi-look, then on the Mac we'll make command-click be multi-look. Maybe it already is, I dunno.

Seems like a good idea to me smile
Note that Windows also has a command key (probably stol... err inspired by the Mac one) but is quite a pain to fiddle with , so i'd would suggest doing as you said : holding Ctrl for multilook on Windows, holding Command for multilook on Mac (given the code, #ifdef would do the trick).

And then alt-click could be something else, such as "use space"... hey, that's a good idea!

Agreed wink
If it gains the community approval, this wouldn't take long to implement ...

Thanks,
Chokboyz

Naive as this may sound to all of you...

Is there a list of all the 'Hot-Keys', 'ctrl + char', and 'alt + char' keys; including what you can do in the 'debug' mode?

(Hopefully included in the new, 'BoE Classic')

I've never used 'Hot-Keys', nor the 'debug mode' except for the time recently that Chokboyz told me to use it to verify my problem with "Spy's Quest" for fear of fouling something up.

I've learned to 'live with' the BSOD showing up a few times a week when running the Original BoE on XP.

I probably won't use any of these functions, but it's nice to know what they are and that they're there. The idea of 'mult-look' has to be a lot easier than moving around a room to 'look' at every object individually, eh?

tx,

me

Originally Posted By: Ahbleza
Is there a list of all the 'Hot-Keys', 'ctrl + char', and 'alt + char' keys;

I don't know of any, apart from the in the menus (open file, etc).

including what you can do in the 'debug' mode?

Enter Debug mode (Shift-D) and press the '/' key (on the keypad).

The idea of 'mult-look' has to be a lot easier than moving around a room to 'look' at every object individually, eh?

The right mouse button already provides an alternative for that (don't worry, the Ctrl key multilook behavior has been implemented nonetheless) wink

Hope it helps,
Chokboyz

Currently the Ctrl + (Char) keys are found in only two menus: File and Actions, there are only ten of them in total. In the two menus look at the "Ctrl + (Letter)" on the right side. In the source code look at ACCELERATORS_1 ACCELERATORS found around line 100 of the file Blades.rc.

Alt + Letter hot keys are indicated by the relevant letter being underlined.

Individual preferences is a good idea, I don't know if I can program it.

Originally Posted By: Anyone Else with Them
Or, you know, follow in the wake of every computer FPS and let people change the controls to suit their personal preferences.
This will probably happen for the editor, eventually, but BoE is not a first person shooter. It has a lot of hotkeys. There are no plans at present to allow hotkey customization in the actual game.

You could alter the keys yourself for your own private version. All you need is a compiler, Bloodshed Dev-C++ is my freeware favorite. Then all you need to know is what to change, you don't need to know programming per se.

Ctrl + Key hot keys are found in Blades.rc, look for

ACCELERATORS_1 ACCELERATORS

{

"^O", 1, ASCII

"^S", 2, ASCII

"^F", 3, ASCII

"^N", 4, ASCII

"^P", 6, ASCII

"^C", 7, ASCII

"^Q", 8, ASCII

"^A", 81, ASCII

"^W", 82, ASCII

"^M", 84, ASCII

}

Straight letter shortcuts are found after line 1500 in boe.actions.cpp. "FCD" is a dialog found in Gamedlog.rc.

This thread may be helpful too:

http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=154452&page=1

Us laptop users typically don't have a numkeypad, and this makes it difficult to move diagonally. It would be nice if there were a way to press up and left and go northwest, etc.

Nowadays laptop have integrated numkeypad or virtual numkeypad (usually accessed via the Fn key). Plus the mouse/pad can be used to be move the party ... Don't shout yet, i'm just joking wink
More seriously, we can assign the Home, End, Page Up/Down key to diagonal movement (these are usually used, since they match the numkey ones) ...

Ctrl + Arrow key would be possible

Ctrl is already used to multilook, so that's probably a bad idea ... crazy

Chokboyz

Home, End, PageUp, and PageDown would work... except that laptops don't typically have those, either.

What about moving diagonally if two non-opposing arrow keys are pressed simultaneously? For example, hold left and up together to move NW.

Oh, and the bit about the Fn key only applies to Windows computers. Apple decided to remove that feature for some strange reason; MacBooks do not have a pseudo-numpad accessible via the Fn key.

Home, End, PageUp, and PageDown would work... except that laptops don't typically have those, either.

Unbelievable ...
Provided that laptops usually don't have proper mouse (read a mouse pad), i assumed those keys were always implemented so that you can move around quickly ... My bad then smile

What about moving diagonally if two non-opposing arrow keys are pressed simultaneously? For example, hold left and up together to move NW.

That would makes sense (the most actually), but the problem of overlapping with the four default cardinal direction arise (i.e the program may register the keys as "go left then up" instead of "go North-West" (and would, in general, be quite clumsy) ...). It is a possible global (i assume all computers have, at least, arrow keys ...) solution, though wink

Chokboyz

Unbelievable ...
...actually, come to think of it, my laptop does have those keys, obtained by combining the Fn key with an arrow key. I don't know if this applies to non-Macs though, or even to newer Macs.

Just for information, i've implemented Home, Page Up/Down and End for diagonal movement (the code is written, if the need arise to change those keys, changing the key constant check is the only thing needed now).

A side effect is that the Keypad diagonal movement is working with either Numlock on or off.

Chokboyz