Driving the Speed Limit

Slawbug

Apples and oranges. Slow can mean irresponsible, but not necessarily. But really, I don't understand the question. Do you want a personal opinion, or a comparative and personal analysis?

I mean, I think driving the speed limit is normal, but so is anything within 5 miles of the speed limit. Heck, your speedometer can be up to 10% off of the actual speed you drive. Now, if everyone is driving SL+5, and one other person is driving SL-3, then yes, they are driving slow. But, there is no stigma to that, except when their actions are forcing a behavioral change on the other drivers.

That is similar to your situation following or leading a pack, where you are permitting other drivers to force you into a mode of operation. This can be fine if folks generally want to drive at a responsible speed (whatever that may be) but it can become troublesome if makes driving uncomfortable for a small percentage of drivers.

I think you'll find that differences in rate of travel among the persons on a given stretch of road are the root of the problem. Perhaps someone could test a theory on a stretch of highway, but I think it would be neato if the left lane had a SL that was 5-10 mph above that of the right lane. It would permit faster travel, but wouldn't prohibit entry by a right lane traveler seeking to pass a slower vehicle.

*nod nod*

Of course, that is what tends to happen in practice on a lot of roads.

It is interesting that speed limits are assigned very differently in different states. Indiana is like dueck's state, but Pennsylvania has (insanely, to me) slow speed limits on highways with the exact same road conditions -- 45-50 where Indiana has 70-75. Makes it kind of hard to blindly trust the signs.

On highways, enforcement seems to kick in only if your driving is reckless or noteworthily above the general speed of traffic. Off of highways, enforcement tends to be by road more than anything else. The locals can tell you where 35 on a long stretch with no intersections actually means 45 and where it means 35 or the cops come out from behind the trees with radar guns.

—Alorael, who would say that at most times (during the day) and in most places the driver is going too slowly. It's a minor inconvenience that can become major if either traffic backs up too much or someone gets a sudden burst of road rage and does something that really ought not to be done. The latter can't be blamed on the original driver, really, but anyone who has driven slowly will know that it prompts those responses and that they are not good to be around.

I'm only 15, but the law in France stipulates you can drive a scooter type thingy from the age of 14. (Let us not mention the percentage of road accident deaths due to this)

These scooters are limited to 45 kph, but as you can expect all us anarchists twiddle our ones so we can go much faster. I tend to leave my scooter in the garage due to the recent abundance of policemen checking teenagers scooters lately (wonder why...), but from my experience on the roads, the French rarely go above the speed limit (providing they aren't teenagers on scooters, ofc). Can't really tell about other countries because I am solely a passenger there wink

Typically, I would call them slow. I do seem to remember, however, my parents telling me that it is just as important to go with the flow as it is to obey the speed limit. If everyone is going 5 over and you go 5 below (provided that 5 above is controllable), you are making the roads more dangerous. Likewise, if everyone is going 5 below and you go 5 above, you are making the roads more dangerous. If you're the only one, though, feel free to go a bit faster, just be safe. Drive with common sense. Don't go the speed you go just because, do it to be safe and prudent.

I drive the speed limit when traffic is negotiable (I'll go with the flow otherwise), but I abide by the speed limit otherwise. Usually, that means I'll only exceed the speed limit in urban areas; however, I find that Oregon's speed limits are unreasonable (The limit on a highway in Nevada is 75...that same highway in Oregon has a 55 mph speed limit), so I adjust appropriately.

Also, I'm kind of amazed when I see people going 90 mph through a mountain pass...seems pretty stupid to me.

Originally Posted By: JadeWolf
Can't really tell about other countries because I am solely a passenger there wink

The U.S. tends to have wider roads than France does, and Americans typically have larger cars. I don't know how much of a role this plays, but I'd imagine that Americans might drive a bit faster than the French do.

It depends on the weather conditions. Freshly laid snow and ice can warrant 10 miles or more under the limit. In heavy rain, 2-3 mph under is responsible. Also construction season is best navigated under the lowered limit if workers are present.

Going below during normal conditions, I would consider slow just for the reason that I leave the house at the last possible minute to get somewhere on time.

It depends on the situation.

If I'm in a hurry (a fairly rare occurrence), I think they're slow. If the weather's bad, they're responsible. If I'm just out running errands or something on my days off, I assume they're lost and/or looking for a particular place.

Originally Posted By: To Activate is Hazy and Unread
Clearly, you haven't been to Paris.
Paris, France; or Paris, Texas? tongue

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Originally Posted By: The Mystic

Originally Posted By: Slarty
Clearly, you haven't been to Paris.
Paris, France; or Paris, Texas? tongue

Well, since we were talking about France, I'd imagine he was referring to Paris, France. tongue
And I was only joking to begin with, and couldn't resist asking.