Question for all you runners

Enraged Slith

I've got this pain on my inner lower-calf, running along my shin, which generally only hurts if I press on it. I didn't think much of it at first because I exercise and figured it just needed a few days to recover. I just went for a little run and it's hurting again. It'll be a week or so before I can see anyone about it (if it is a problem), so does anyone have an idea of what it might be and if I need to keep off it for a while?

If it only hurts when you press on it, it doesn't sound like a pulled muscle. I pulled a muscle in my neck and it hurt terribly whenever I moved in a certain direction. I don't remember if it hurt when I pressed it or not as this was a while ago, but I would imagine you'd feel pain whenever you moved it in a certain way if it were pulled. Also I'm pretty sure if it were pulled, you'd clearly remember the moment you pulled it. Unless, maybe I sprained my neck? Not sure what the difference is.

I am, of course, completely unqualified to make judgements in these matters (in case you didn't notice), just sharing experiences is all.

Could be shin splints. I was diagnosed with that years ago when I was running, and after a couple of weeks of rest, and then a gradual resumption of training, it went away and didn't come back that year. Thereafter I would always have to be careful if I started running again after a lapse, or my shins would start to hurt again.

I just recalled that I'm pigeon-toed and that my right foot will occasionally strike my left leg/ankle when I'm running. This became apparent to me a few years ago when I was running with soccer shoes on and ended up cutting my ankle up pretty bad. I don't know if this is the cause, but it's a guess. I'll see how I feel after tomorrow.

I am actually just recovering from this problem. Let me just ask one thing, does it hurt when you warm up too?

What happened with me was a muscle that usually attaches to the bone got disconnected. I would suggest icing it, applying peppermint oil on it before and after exercise, stretching the calf well before activity (but after a warm up), and massaging the lump of muscle at the top of the calf. It'll take a while to heal.