About weapons...

Thaluikhain

Been thinking about how the weapons work in Exile, in particular, the stone/bronze/iron/steel/magic progression. Would it be better to have something like crude/poor/average/fine/extra-nice/magic or something instead? By which, I really mean people renaming the weapons in scenarios. It just seems that the quality of the construction would be more important than just the material.

The other thing I've been thinking about is how the weapons work, the main difference is simply the amount of damage they do. A rapier is the same as an axe, they are both better than shortswords, but the broadsword is the best human single handed edged weapon, and all. Now, that's always seen very weird to me, and not really realistic...though, it is better than Avernum, where people carry pikes. Which is just crazy. Also, historically, rapiers, shortswords and broadswords represent rather different ways of making swords.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else to do. You could muck about with the weight a little, or maybe change the bonus damage and random damage a bit, but the only way to really make them different would be to start chucking in special bonuses for different weapons, counting them as magic and all, which seems unwise. Again, more for customising for individual scenarios than anything.

Originally Posted By: Thaluikhain
Been thinking about how the weapons work in Exile, in particular, the stone/bronze/iron/steel/magic progression. Would it be better to have something like crude/poor/average/fine/extra-nice/magic or something instead? By which, I really mean people renaming the weapons in scenarios. It just seems that the quality of the construction would be more important than just the material.

I think Stareye did this in either At the Gallows or Spears, if I remember correctly. The original idea behind the material system was that good-quality metal was hard to find in Exile, so metal weapons were treasures to be held on to: now that most scenarios don't take place in Exile, it's sort of obsolete. (Making bronze weaker than iron is sort of unrealistic, though: bronze is actually harder than wrought iron, but also much more expensive.)

Quote:
The other thing I've been thinking about is how the weapons work, the main difference is simply the amount of damage they do. A rapier is the same as an axe, they are both better than shortswords, but the broadsword is the best human single handed edged weapon, and all. Now, that's always seen very weird to me, and not really realistic... though, it is better than Avernum, where people carry pikes. Which is just crazy. Also, historically, rapiers, shortswords and broadswords represent rather different ways of making swords.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else to do. You could muck about with the weight a little, or maybe change the bonus damage and random damage a bit, but the only way to really make them different would be to start chucking in special bonuses for different weapons, counting them as magic and all, which seems unwise. Again, more for customising for individual scenarios than anything.

Yeah, that kind of a change would pretty much require a complete revamp of the combat system. I mean, I guess you could add an option to control how many action points it takes to swing a weapon or something, but that seems like it'd either make too much difference or no meaningful difference at all.