Avernum 6 - September update.

Spidweb

Originally Posted By: lukematt
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

My heart dropped when the first "You feel hungry" message appeared while playing the Avernum 6 demo.

In this day and age, somebody actually added a "food meter" to an RPG?#@! Don't they remember the first generation of RPGs? NOT ONE game with a food meter ever became a true classic. Why not? Because the constant need to feed your character(s) makes the gameplay incredibly tedious.

Dear Jeff Vogel: If you insist on adding such anachronisms to one of your games, why can't you make an associated option (in an init file, for example) for people like me who play RPGs to relax?

If it makes you feel any better, food is easy enough to come by and consumed slowly enough that it's almost impossible to run out as long as you pick it up when you find it. You don't need to manually feed characters, either: food is consumed automatically when needed, so there's no tedium.

It was included because an important part of the plot of Avernum 6 was that food was getting scarce, and it was felt that there had to be at least some acknowledgement of that in the game mechanics. I'm not sure I agree, but in any case it's hardly the onerous imposition on the player that you're making it out to be.

By the way, on this forum it's considered better etiquette to make a new thread rather than to revive one from two years ago. Just a heads up on that.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: lukematt
Don't they remember the first generation of RPGs? NOT ONE game with a food meter ever became a true classic.

While I am not fond of most food meters either, you are wrong here. Dungeon Master is certainly a classic, but you're missing something else -- probably the biggest, most classic CRPG of all time.

Rogue!