Avernum 6 - September update.

Spidweb

Originally Posted By: Oskar
Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Heh. Maybe Jeff could make everything drop meat (or, where appropriate, mushrooms) upon death, including PCs. But then Return Life would effectively function as a Create Food spell.
Well maybe to use return life you would require a certain amount (equal to the weight of the character you want to ressurect?) of meat on hand? Or maybe you would need "two arms, two legs, a torso and a head", giving you an actual reason to kill civilians. I always wondered why Return Life was a "good" priest spell, and not vile necromancy.
Technically, you need the person's original body to resurrect them. This is glossed over in the game, of course.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Shankar's quest with her ogre servant has that as a possibility depending upon how much damage you do in a round.

The ogre is subdued by the magic mark, so unless you attempt the quest when you are already very high level, there isn't much of a chance of killing him not on purpose (you can see when his health gets too low and then just stop the beating and let Shankar do her thing).
What I mean is in case your enemy doesn't decide to do the sir robin thing and wants a duel to the death (or is in such a panic that he believes that killing me is the only way of him surviving) but I know that killing him is not in my best interest (or I'm just playing good cop), so I'd rather drag him to the local sheriff office and let him deal with him.

I think Avatar has a point, sometimes it's disappointing that, after some significant or meaningful dialoge, the person goes Hostile and you know that there's only going to be 1 outcome: someone dies. It would be nice to have a "knock him out" ability (a spell, a battle discipline, something that might miss and can only be used on low-health Humanoids) so he/she can, in fact, be subdued and dragged back to the proper authorities and dealt with.

eek

You don't normally have to kill everyone in order to steal stuff. Or anyone, actually. The only exception I can think of is the Anama papers, and even then you don't have to kill more the one guard. You can run past the farmers without fighting them if you want to.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves

eek

You don't normally have to kill everyone in order to steal stuff. Or anyone, actually. The only exception I can think of is the Anama papers, and even then you don't have to kill more the one guard. You can run past the farmers without fighting them if you want to.

i know that. what i was talking about was the items that are guarded. stuff on tables in stores etc.

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
Nephar: Hey Cordelia, cast Mass Sleep spell so we can loot this town.

The mass sleep spell in the Exile series didn't cover a wide area though, unless you got lucky with the spray fields spell.

Oh wait, this thread wasn't about Exile.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Originally Posted By: Earth2025
Nephar: Hey Cordelia, cast Mass Sleep spell so we can loot this town.

The mass sleep spell in the Exile series didn't cover a wide area though, unless you got lucky with the spray fields spell.

Oh wait, this thread wasn't about Exile.

Was there a Mass Sleep spell in the Exile series? Because I'm pretty sure there wasn't, at least not in E3.

It's better than Realmz, in which any attack on a paralyzed opponent did immediately lethal damage. That was okay, except overpowered on anything not resistant to paralysis. And that included your party.

—Alorael, who also noticed in Exile that the sleep immunity trait was mostly useless except for the times when it was essential. Fighting Gorgons without it was virtually impossible. Fighting them with it was trivial.

Realmz got that from no less esteemed an influence than the Gold Box games, in which victims of the 1st-level magic-user spell Sleep were instantly killed if anybody even tried to attack them. Frankly, this is a pretty realistic implementation: if somebody's asleep or totally paralyzed, you can take the ten seconds to set up a neck-cleaving blow, or whatever, and they can't dodge.

Originally Posted By: Lest we should fail in utterance
—Alorael, who also noticed in Exile that the sleep immunity trait was mostly useless except for the times when it was essential. Fighting Gorgons without it was virtually impossible. Fighting them with it was trivial.

It also made it more feasible to use Sleep Cloud in battle if you didn't have to worry about avoiding your own clouds.

Realistic, yes. This is also the game in which invisibility acts mostly to protect you from being attacked if you move away from an enemy. It won't protect you from regular attacks, just movement attacks.

—Alorael, who concludes that Realmz was, indeed, poorly balanced. A revelation!

Leg armor comes in pieces. Sabatons cover feet, greaves cover shins, cuisses cover thighs, and poleyns cover that difficult bendy knee between the cuisses and the greaves.

—Alorael, who notes that non-plate armor gets different names. Mixing and matching poleyns, chausses, and schynbalds might get a bit too complicated. It also brings Progress Quest to mind.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
There should also be bronze pants, steel pants, and blessed pants.

Nah, mithril pants are all the rage these days.

Originally Posted By: Khoth
You people are making me wonder what Swamp Pants are made of.

Peat! As an added bonus, the pants also work as a source of fuel.

(Even though peat comes from bogs and not swamps, but whatever...)