Exile crashing Win 3.11 DOS Box Linux

Lord Sylak

Try 256 colors. If that doesn't work, additionally try 800x600. I've never used Linux or DOSBox, but I'm going by what I've heard and read (particularly in another very recent thread which I believe is in the Exile Trilogy forum). This advice may not fix the problem, but it certainly won't hurt, so try it first and see if it works, then come back if it doesn't.

I believe it does work on WINE, though if it's Exile 3 it'd probably be better to have the actually Linux version...

EDIT: Wait, I know it works on WINE, because I've run it on Crossover Mac. It doesn't quite work right for Exile 1 and 2 (the automap doesn't display, and buttons and stuff are not drawn properly), but it's fine in Exile 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
People tell me E3 for Linux is just Windows E3 with an old version of winelib attached to it, and is slower than just running Windows E3 in WINE.

Exile 3 for Linux doesn't use Wine at all, that's why it is slower. It was developed by having a third party partially reimplement the needed parts of the Win32 API and then fuse the code.

Running Exile 3 on Linux through Wine is faster, though it would be great if a Winelib binary could be made to replace the binary included in Exile 3 for Linux.

Wine does support fusing with Win32 app source code to create Linux binaries supported with libraries that translate the Win32 API into Unix equivalent calls, however, not many applications take advantage of that.