• Announcements

• Qualified from Tact

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Duskwolf

Complete Exile 2 outdoor map (massive spoilers)

17 hours ago, Galadrin said:

Is there still a way to get the artwork though?

Hello Galadrin,

Quite a long time ago, I did a little mapping project of Exile II for my own personal use.

Just to elaborate on what's been said above, the sections of the map that you're looking for are actually not present in the game. If you were to enter these sections in the game itself, all you would see would be mostly an empty expanse of cave floor (although there's an odd line of locked doors around where Spire would be, if memory serves). You could add the sections to your map, but they'd be mostly blank.

From what I can tell, the map of exile wasn't simply imported from Exile I to Exile II, which is why these sections don't exist. This is most easy to see if you look side-by-side at a map of Exile I:

http://www.harehunter.info/Exile1/images/Ex1Map.gif

and Exile II:

https://truesite4blades.com/SWArchive/Geocities/TimesSquare/Arena/3134/mapexile.gif

The maps are similar on a large scale, but very different when you compare small details.

So, in short, I'm afraid you can't complete the map of exile in Exile II - it's not complete in the game! If you want a complete map of exile like this, I'm afraid you'll need to do a similar process to Duskwolf, but using Exile I.

Galadrin   
3 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Hello Galadrin,

Quite a long time ago, I did a little mapping project of Exile II for my own personal use.

Just to elaborate on what's been said above, the sections of the map that you're looking for are actually not present in the game. If you were to enter these sections in the game itself, all you would see would be mostly an empty expanse of cave floor (although there's an odd line of locked doors around where Spire would be, if memory serves). You could add the sections to your map, but they'd be mostly blank.

From what I can tell, the map of exile wasn't simply imported from Exile I to Exile II, which is why these sections don't exist. This is most easy to see if you look side-by-side at a map of Exile I:

http://www.harehunter.info/Exile1/images/Ex1Map.gif

and Exile II:

https://truesite4blades.com/SWArchive/Geocities/TimesSquare/Arena/3134/mapexile.gif

The maps are similar on a large scale, but very different when you compare small details.

So, in short, I'm afraid you can't complete the map of exile in Exile II - it's not complete in the game! If you want a complete map of exile like this, I'm afraid you'll need to do a similar process to Duskwolf, but using Exile I.

Ah ok, thank you for that clarification. That was unknown to me because I never actually played Exile 2... I downloaded Exile 1 in the Fall of 1995 and played it continuously like mad for the next decade at least. I didn't even know the graphics had been changed until a few years ago, actually.

I went ahead and redownloaded Exile: Escape from the Pit version 1.0.3 from the Old Versions sticky in this forum and extracted the images out of the files (these were in the old .PCT format on the Mac version, but luckily Photoshop was able to convert them). However, all I got were the individual tiles... no maps! The outdoor.dat file only extracts as a text file full of coding data...

I am not a programmer... I don't know Python, and I don't know what to do with this stuff...

Could someone who knows how to handle these files please, please, please extract the Exile 1 map from the old version downloads in this forum? Or at least the Abyss map? I would kill to have the world map in one piece... I played my fingers numb on this game and it really changed my life...

Unfortunately, producing a map of Exile I like this isn't straightforward.

To explain what's happening here, the information about the outdoors is stored in that outdoor.dat file. Perhaps the best way to think about how the information is stored is to go down the reverse route! Take the map of Exile and split it down into those chunks that you've seen in Duskwolf's files. Each section is a square of map tiles. Now, imagine taking one square and pulling it out so that all these tiles are strung along one line. Next, replace each type of tile with a set of numbers and letters that tells you what type of tile it is (for instance, say AA is 'cave floor' and BB is 'mushrooms'). What you end up with is essentially one portion your outdoor.dat file! What these programs of Duskwolf's do is to do the reverse: they take that list of identification markers and convert it back into a map.

It might be possible to use a modified version of Duskwolf's code to extract the information from the original game, but that depends on what changes were made to the data files between Exile I and Exile II. A little work would need to be done to convert this code so that it would work on the different data files. I would offer to look into this for you, but I'm afraid that I can't do so right at this moment. Python is having some real issues on my machine right now, and I won't be able to run Duskwolf's code until I can fix those problems. That might take some time.

I do have some other ideas about how this map could be created, though. They might not work out (and it might be a while before I can test them) but, if they do, I'll post something here.

Galadrin   
1 hour ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Unfortunately, producing a map of Exile I like this isn't straightforward.

To explain what's happening here, the information about the outdoors is stored in that outdoor.dat file. Perhaps the best way to think about how the information is stored is to go down the reverse route! Take the map of Exile and split it down into those chunks that you've seen in Duskwolf's files. Each section is a square of map tiles. Now, imagine taking one square and pulling it out so that all these tiles are strung along one line. Next, replace each type of tile with a set of numbers and letters that tells you what type of tile it is (for instance, say AA is 'cave floor' and BB is 'mushrooms'). What you end up with is essentially one portion your outdoor.dat file! What these programs of Duskwolf's do is to do the reverse: they take that list of identification markers and convert it back into a map.

It might be possible to use a modified version of Duskwolf's code to extract the information from the original game, but that depends on what changes were made to the data files between Exile I and Exile II. A little work would need to be done to convert this code so that it would work on the different data files. I would offer to look into this for you, but I'm afraid that I can't do so right at this moment. Python is having some real issues on my machine right now, and I won't be able to run Duskwolf's code until I can fix those problems. That might take some time.

I do have some other ideas about how this map could be created, though. They might not work out (and it might be a while before I can test them) but, if they do, I'll post something here.

Thank you, I'll be checking back here regularly!

Just wanted to note, for anyone who stumbles on this, that the seamless map version posted earlier does not include Vahnatai lands, so is not quite the whole world map.

Galadrin   
22 hours ago, Throwback to Goriya said:

Just wanted to note, for anyone who stumbles on this, that the seamless map version posted earlier does not include Vahnatai lands, so is not quite the whole world map.

That's correct, I was only interested in the "original" Exile 1 area. If you'd like, I can finish the map and add the missing sections?