The Labyrinth RP

Ephesos

I sent my character to Eph and am awaiting his approval. Will be joining for the next session, I hope. smile

(Also, Eph, the players always look more stupid from the DM seat. Obviously, if we'd guessed the ball of wire would turn into a spidermonster, we'd have chucked it into the grate before it finished forming, instead of waiting patiently for the cutscene to end. tongue )

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SESSION #3's LOG IS NOW UP!

And now, the session summarized in quotes:

Click to reveal..
  • Conall: "I don't want to alarm anybody, but watch out for sharks."
  • Thuja: "Mmm. I hope the horse is still alive around here."
  • Etris: "Goblin drips..."
  • Kaval: "Don't discuss the English language! Slam the door on it!"
  • Lindy: "I wouldn't eat it... It came from a glass ball. It's probably poisoned."

Of course, Etris gets an honorable mention for "I start wakjubg dwig the passage," and Kaval maintains his title of "Most Likely To Talk To Inanimate Objects".

I will have the calendar for session #4 up soon.

Okay, calendar is up for session 4.

Oh, and Etris has earned the following perk for his character:

Burning the Candle at Both Ends

"Curses. Well, spend stamina again and fire!"

Whenever you would spend your last stamina point in combat, the attack in question is an automatic critical hit.

Ooh. Nice. Does it count if the attack in question burns multiple stamina? Either way, I suppose I have Nikki/Conall to thank for it.

Anyway, now I've got excellent reason not to get my character killed. Perks don't just grow back... Eep, I need to be a bit more careful.

Also, did Kaval and Etris eat the trout, or is that smelly thing still in my inventory? If it hasn't been eaten, I've got glorious plans for that little fishy... wink

I fear what's coming up next. It seems each session gets a little harder, and everyone gets a bit closer to getting killed.

Finally, I'm available for all of those days. Again, I'd prefer not to do it Tuesday, but if that's the day it falls, I'm flexible.

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
I actually thought Conall was the one always talking to inanimate objects. Or, rather, he's been the one that's consistently found out which inanimate objects are in fact animate. We'd be stuck outside the Labyrinth still if it weren't for him!

Yes, I got through the initial doors, and it is always my idea to see if there is anything we can talk to, but I ever actually speak to things - Kaval always gets there first.

Also, why is it my fault you got an upgrade, Nioca? All I can think of is not letting you rest. tongue

I'm starting to get the feeling that Lindy should heal every scratch as it appears so she doesn't end up spending stamina on big drains. Stamina is more precious than ever now that I've no energy potions left. *does a fist-shakey at the fates*

Thanks, Aran, for doing such a good job taking over for Lindy when I had to go.

Originally Posted By: The Ghost of Jewels
Stamina is more precious than ever now that I've no energy potions left. *does a fist-shakey at the fates*

Again, don't blame the fates. Remember, you did conspire with Duck to try and kill each other's characters. tongue

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
I like how the perk is based on the character's experiences. Did you plan it that way, or is it just a happy coincidence?

I planned it that way. Perks are awarded when characters do ridiculous things (sometimes foolhardy, sometimes brave). Of course, if it's something ridiculously foolhardy, you also have to not die first.

Originally Posted By: The Ghost of Jewels
I'm starting to get the feeling that Lindy should heal every scratch as it appears so she doesn't end up spending stamina on big drains. Stamina is more precious than ever now that I've no energy potions left. *does a fist-shakey at the fates*

Thanks, Aran, for doing such a good job taking over for Lindy when I had to go.

Thanks!

And sorry I had to give away your energy potion. tongue

Ephesos, have you got some responses on the calendar yet? I left out only four days, but I can technically be there even then.

(/me is itching to try my own character now...)

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
I like how the perk is based on the character's experiences. Did you plan it that way, or is it just a happy coincidence?

I planned it that way. Perks are awarded when characters do ridiculous things (sometimes foolhardy, sometimes brave). Of course, if it's something ridiculously foolhardy, you also have to not die first.

I approve of this, but can't help but wonder why we don't have an octopus-fighting perk. tongue

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
Ephesos, have you got some responses on the calendar yet? I left out only four days, but I can technically be there even then.

So, yeah. The calendar is a minefield. Predictably, no single day has everyone free. Some days are horrible, and the best will see us missing two party members.

I'd say that the following days probably work the best:

-Thursday, October 1st (Sarachim and Jewels can't be there)
-Monday, October 5th (Nikki and Dikiyoba can't be there)
-Thursday, October 8th (Sarachim and Dikiyoba can't be there)
-Saturday, October 10th (Duck and Dikiyoba can't be there)

...thoughts?

Even with two people absent, we can probably still put together a group of five. We'd just be short on subs.

Speaking of subs, I could do either Thursday if someone would sub for me until 7:00PM Central or so. Alternatively, I could sit the session out entirely and give someone a chance to introduce a new character, if anyone's interested.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I'm fine with the wait... [...] it gives me plenty of time to prepare...

On second thought, can we move it up to this Monday? tongue

Seriously, though, the second I read that, a shiver went down my spine. I'm afraid to find out just what Ephesos can do to the party with over a week to prepare for the session.

For reference, this is the character sheet I sent to Ephesos:

Name: Temmyn C. Backus

Profession: Tinker

Alignment: Introverted-Naive

Attributes

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 5

Hitpoints: 10

Speed: 5

Stamina: 10

Skills

Perception: 2

Artifice: 4

Martial (Wrench): 2

Magic (Evocation): 2

Magic (Divination): 1

Equipment:

- A hefty adjustable-end hardened iron wrench, just a bit over a foot long. Besides screwing bolts and nuts of most sizes, it can be used to whack things upside the noggin (see weapon proficiency).

- A spring-powered mechanical mouse that can run a short distance and make some noise to cause a distraction.

- A small bag with mechanical tools, screwdrivers, lockpicks, pliers and a tiny steel saw.

- A slightly scuffed dark gray Fedora. It has no special powers. It's just a hat.

- A worn metal water bottle.

- Several dried, salted sausages, and a sandwich.

Cool Abilities

- Artifice: Can open most non-magical locks. Same goes for traps whose mechanical workings are in reach.

- Evocation: Can evoke a small electric discharge (works as a weak lightning bolt)

- Divination: Can divine the presence of metal at a short range (varies with the amount)

Weakness:

- Bad insectophobia

- Slight social ineptitude

The time for procrastination is over! I am proud to present the new and improved John!

Click to reveal..
Name: John

Race: Human

Alignment: Greedy

Strength: 1 (+1)

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 5

HP: 11 (6)

Stamina: 7

Martial (Razor-rimmed throwing hat): 3

Bluff: 4

Diplomacy: 2

Items:

-7 razor-rimmed throwing hats

-Fish-hat?

-Bronze breastplate

-Torch

Cool Thing: Can stick a throwing hat in a tree from five yards.

Fear: My greatest fear is of a bald man without a hat.

Speaking of which, I looked Evocation up; yes, it can launch fireballs. In fact, that's the main point of evocation. Evoking forces and elements. Then again, Cumulo not being able to launch fireballs may be a result of his natural ineptitude, so... yeah.

Also, Sarachim: Seconded. Over half of the party for this session couldn't tell social aptitude from a hole in the ground. This should be fun... smile

Er.. Duck? You didn't up any skills.

And yes, Evocation is fine for that, and you do have the D&D definition down. But I guess what I wanted to avoid is people trying to master a bunch of different schools. So, with a specialization in Force and Light, Etris is basically tooled for Evocation.

Session 4 is over, I'll have the log up soon.

Remember, everyone levels up!

(We'll pick the next date eventually.)

Originally Posted By: Me
To "level up", do this:

1. Add your Strength score in HP. So John, who had 1 Strength and was at 5/10 HP, would go up to 6/11 HP.

2. Pick one of these four:

• Increase one Ability (Str/Dex/Int) by 1.
  • Learn a new skill at level 1.
  • Gain a rank in two skills.
  • Gain two ranks in one skill.
Capiche?

Ding!

Click to reveal..
Name: Thuja Goaway

Alignment: Misanthropic

Strength: 4

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 2

HP: 9/18

Stamina: 10/10

Martial (Axe): 4

Martial (Boomerang): 4

Nature: 3

Perception: 2

Stealth: 2

Inventory:

1 stone axe

5 boomerangs (Note: Must be retrieved rather than returning automatically.)

Dikiyoba.

Click to reveal..
Name: Kaval

Strength: 3
Dexterity: 7 (+1)
Intelligence: 1
HP: 10/16 (+3)
Stamina: 8/10

Skills:
Martial (improvised weapons): 4
Stealth: 3
Artifice: 2
Nature: 1
Defense/Parry: 1

Inventory:
Bone spear
Stone statue pieces (throwing)
Old taco
Torch

Click to reveal..
Name: Lindy

Strength: 1
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 7
HP: 9/12 (+1)
Stamina: 4/10

Skills:
-Magic (Healing Arts): 8 (+2)
-Religion: 2
-Nature: 1
-First Aid: 3

Items:
Magical Staff (Can be a light source.)
Two meals worth of soggy food.
A voodoo crossbones
Bag with 2 curing potions, 1 bottle of water, and 1 empty bottle.
A mysterious magical book
Three coppers

No, I am not imaginative.

Click to reveal.. (Etris's Stats)
Name: Etris Tanner
Alignment: Neutralish

Strength: 3
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 6 (+1)
Health: 13/16 (+3)

Magic (Force): 4
Magic (Light): 2
Magic (Divination): 1
Magic (Elemental Lore): 1
Martial (Shortswords): 3
Bluff: 2
Artifice: 2

ITEMS

Yellow Soporific Spores (Saps stamina)
Razor-rimmed Throwing Hat
Bag of Sand
Shortsword (Missing; flew away)

I would have spent my level on learning First Aid, but breaking into a new skill is just... so... expensive. So I went for Intelligence instead.

Log posted! I will note that I did have to edit this one more than usual, due to seven people trying to act all at once, and not letting me get an attack in edgewise. Also, unconscious/dying people can't talk. tongue

Now, once more, let's let the party sum up the fourth session of the campaign:

Click to reveal.. (Quote-tastic!)
  • Kaval: "What's the worst that can happen that hasn't happened to us already?"
  • Jareth: "Your offer intrigues me. These... minions of mine, they are slow. And unreliable. However, you seem to be their match in both."
  • Conall: "Hello. Who are you, and why are you standing on that wall?"
  • Temmyn: "Er... please don't stab me, thank you very much. If that's all right."
  • John: "Aaargh! Spiders! Aaargh! Barbecue sauce!"
  • Etris: "I find it better not to question the madness, Thuja."
  • Lindy: I check the book to see if the barbeque sauce can write on it.
  • Thuja: "Why are you covering me in fragments of marble? Have I mentioned that I hate you all?

Oh, and for those who are interested, here are some other bits from one-person asides:

Click to reveal.. (Temmyn's arrival)

Ephesos

You're not sure how it happened. One moment, you were in your cellar, looking for a jar of preserves, and the next, you were in an unfamiliar stone corridor.

Temmyn

"Odd."

Ephesos

Inexplicably, you found the jar of preserves.

The corridor goes on for a ways ahead of you, and ends with a metal door.

Temmyn

I examine the door.

Ephesos

The door is locked, but the lock looks fairly simple.

Temmyn

I get out the tools and try my luck.

Ephesos

The lock snaps off, falls to the ground, and emits a few harmless sparks.

Temmyn

Then I cautiously open the door.

Ephesos

The door won't budge. It appears to swing outward, but something is blocking it.

Temmyn

On the other side? Mh... I lean against it a bit more to see if I can move it.

Ephesos

It still won't budge.

You hear muffled voices from the other side.

Temmyn

I call out. "Hello? Anybody there?!"

I call out again. "Hello? I think I'm trapped! Heeelp!"

Ephesos

You hear shuffling and scraping from behind the door. And more muffled voices.

Temmyn

(Can I hear Thuja?)

Ephesos

Nope, it's just another muffled voice.

Temmyn

Ah, okay. Then I'll just wait a bit

Ephesos

The shuffling and scraping gets louder.

Temmyn

As I hear the rubble shifting, I'll try forcing the door again.

Ephesos

It gives a little, but still won't move.

The door abruptly opens, revealing blue sky. A person's face peeks out around the side of the door.

Click to reveal.. (Lindy looking into the orb)
You look into the orb, and see a swirling mass of stars. You can almost make out connections between the many points of light, and it seems that there's an overarching pattern in there somewhere.

Instinctively, you lean forward, as if to look closer. The scene expands, enveloping you in a chaotic storm of lights.

Signs, sigils, and runes flash by you at lightning speed. Nearly all of them are foreign to you, and those that you recognize make no sense in context.

However, you find yourself unable to tear your gaze away. Your brain struggles to process the storm of information passing before you.

Finally, the scene collapses, and the orb in your hand vanishes with a puff of dust.

You lose 7 stamina trying to keep from going insane.

Click to reveal.. (John's triumphant return)
One moment, you're standing in the room with the pit. The next, you're rolling on the floor, covered in barbeque sauce and tarantulas.

You can hear the others' voices from nearby.

Last but not least, here's the calendar for the next session.

I figured it was something like that, it was just funnier to imagine it was some kind of bizarre coincidence. tongue

Anyway, I like your zero hit points rule. It seemed to work really well. It would have been sad to have a couple people wiped out by zombies, so it was a good alternative. I'm glad Lindy found it in her heart to not let John bleed to death.

Also, bluff fails, again. Bluff always fails. tongue

Edit: Oh, and I assume Duck added to John's strength so that he could carry more loot. Next time he tries to jump up onto a wall holding cleaning products, he better not be so encumbered. What great hats that mop and bucket would have made. wink

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Case sensitive matching is your friend for such tasks.

Note to self: Stop compiling logs at 3am.

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
I like your zero hit points rule. It seemed to work really well. It would have been sad to have a couple people wiped out by zombies, so it was a good alternative. I'm glad Lindy found it in her heart to not let John bleed to death.

Again, this is me making things up on the fly. I had just realized that a round of attacks had dropped John to 1 HP (something even Duck was unaware of), and figured that there needed to be a rule, and there needed to be one now.

As always, I appreciate feedback on any mechanisms used, as well as how the game plays as a whole.

I'm going to take a third level in Weapon Proficiency (Wrench).

"Oh, I've had enough of this. EAT WRENCH, SUCKERS!" I charge at the lesser zombie that looks most damaged and try to clobber it soundly.

Also, a second level in Magic (Divination). Temmyn can now attempt to identify (or at least gain basic information about) items.

Character Sheet

Name: Temmyn C. Backus

Profession: Tinker

Level: 2

Alignment: Introverted-Naive

Attributes

STR: 2

DEX: 3

INT: 5

Hitpoints: 8/12 (L2 +2)