The Labyrinth RP

Ephesos

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RP was, of course, awesome. People were constantly having to leave and give their characters to spectators to control, but I think it actually made things more fun and convenient for all involved. The DMing was excellent, of course. smile I really want to DM my own game now and invite you guys to it, but I will wait until the Labyrinth RP is over first. See you all next session!

It looks fun, and I'm sorry I couldn't make it. I wonder if Spiderweb could be herded into playing a standard, crunchy, ongoing roleplaying campaign? My guess is no, and online roleplaying doesn't quite work as true tabletop anyway. But it would be neat!

—Alorael, who at the very least sees that Ephesos didn't wrap everything up nicely. Are more installments expected?

That was a fun six and a half hours. For the next session, I may just request that someone else start with Lindy till I'm more able to concentrate on the game. Like after supper or something.

Reading through the transcript, I think Rowen played her better than I did. The transitions between players is almost imperceptible. Kudos to Eph for doing so much work on it. Great job.

@Alo: Definitely, yes.

I really only played John during the sea monster battle, Rowen took over afterwards. I only threw the one hat at the dead sea monster (and tried to get it back before I had to leave). I thought you'd be pleased at how I denied Nioca/Cumulo of a hat when he asked for one to fight with (Ephesos actually edited out the part where I said he could have one, but then took it back when I realized he was the mage character and not a fighter, the roles did get confusing once in a while with people constantly switching them). It felt so mean, but I was totally in-character! tongue

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Ephesos actually edited out the part where I said he could have one, but then took it back when I realized he was the mage character and not a fighter, the roles did get confusing once in a while with people constantly switching them

Slight correction: I'm wasn't much of anything tongue . Though it now occurs to me that, with Cumulo's high dexterity, he'd probably be decent at throwing hats. Or maybe just suck less.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun. I also learned that, when you're weaponless and your spells practically require a 20 to even work, leaping into the water to fight the giant octopus of doom is probably a bad idea. Unless, of course, you want to be squeezed to death. Then again, that last life drain did a number on it, it seems.

Also, something I just noticed: Why does John have a 5 in intelligence? He's not a mage, so it doesn't help there. At any rate, when he levels up (or however the advancement will be handled), dropping a point in some magic field probably wouldn't be a bad idea for him.

Anyway, looking forward to spectating/playing/however-it-works-out again.

I really want to DM my own game now and invite you guys to it, but I will wait until the Labyrinth RP is over first.

Seeing as I have no idea how many sessions this will take, don't worry about interspersing other sessions, if you want to go that route.

Originally Posted By: Lie for your cause!
I wonder if Spiderweb could be herded into playing a standard, crunchy, ongoing roleplaying campaign? My guess is no, and online roleplaying doesn't quite work as true tabletop anyway. But it would be neat!

Ssssh! You've exposed my secret plan!

But seriously, yeah. It's kind of obvious from how the session ended, but this particular story isn't over, and as long as people are willing to continue, I'm willing to keep running it right down to the end.

Re: Character switching... this worked far better than I could've hoped. Thank you, spectators, for being awesome and helping take over for unused characters. I know I edited out the names, but thank you to Sleeping Dragon, Dikiyoba, Rowen, and Nioca.

Of course, I've tried to build in mechanisms that would allow people to miss sessions, and for other characters to jump in and out. So other people who would like to play are more than welcome to send me characters (Nioca already has, and I'm reviewing it).

And as for the whole medium, I actually liked how it let me do some things that would've been a massive pain under normal pen-and-paper circumstances. For instance, whenever one person succeeded at a Perception check and the rest failed it (as happened frequently), I could just tell them in a private IM what they saw, and let them relate it. Similarly, it made the underwater battles far more exciting, as nobody really knew how close Cumulo came to dying.

So yeah. Like I said, I'll be coming up with some sort of character advancing stuff. I know of several feat-analogs I want to dish out, but nobody met the requirements for the first one I had. I think every character will get one from this first session, though.

When do people want to do the next session?

Originally Posted By: Nioca
I might have difficulty tonight. But basically, any evening will work for me.

That is most definitely too soon for me. I know how difficult it is to just find time to play, but to actually run one of these takes significantly more time. tongue

EDIT: Also, upon further reflection, I have decided that I don't really have enough data yet to implement advancement. So characters will be staying the same for now, I think. This also enables anyone else who wants to get in the door at "level 1" to do so.

Thanks, Ephesos! I had fun with this, and I'm looking forward to next time.

EDIT: Regarding the next session, if we do another Thursday or Friday my ideal start time would be about 7:00 PM CDT, though I can probably get in a little earlier if that helps. Weekends, almost anything works.

Hm. Ideally, I'd like to find a regular night that works for people. Would Thursday serve this purpose? It'd give me enough time between sessions to prepare, and as long as we had a few active characters, not everyone would have to show up.

And on that note, here are two more characters ready to join the fray:

First, Etris Tanner, the battlemage:

Click to reveal..
Name: Etris Tanner

Race: Human

Alignment: Neutral-ish.

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 5

HP: 10

Magic (Force): 3

Magic (Light): 2

Magic (Divination): 1

Magic (Elemental Lore): 1

Martial (Shortsword): 2

Bluff: 2

Artifice: 2

Cool Things:

-Force: Hit a target with a blast of force.

-Light: Create a beam of focused light, burning a target.

-Divination: Learn the stats of a target.

-Elemental: Enchant a weapon with lightning.

Next, Thuja Goaway, the recluse:

Click to reveal..
Name: Thuja Goaway

Race: Human

Alignment: Misanthropic

Strength: 4

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 2

HP: 10

Martial (Axe): 3

Martial (Boomerang): 3

Nature: 3 (6)

Perception: 1

Stealth: 1

Cool Thing: Thuja ran away from home at the age of fifteen and has spent the past four years scraping out a living in the wilderness. He has not had one single bath in those four years.

Sorry I disappeared! My roommate, who was having trouble getting her computer connected to our wireless, decided to disconnect the modem and try hooking it up without the splitter, which for some reason took a lot longer to fix than it did to do in the first place. Anyway, I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a problem.

This coming week is really busy for me and I'm not sure I can make any afternoons. I'd like to keep playing but feel free to replace me, as that seems unlikely.

Okay... how about Tuesday then (5 pm, CDT again), if people are going to be stubborn about their TV? tongue

And for the record, even though we have seven potential characters available, I will not be letting all seven be active in the same session. Five is enough. Even over AIM, seven is too many to keep track of. So it's okay if not everyone can make it.

I mean, I'd be a pretty bad DM if I couldn't deal with rotating character rosters, right?

(The new The Office is completely different from the original, which I can say because I've watched both. Both have their merits, but aside from the characters and setting, they are completely different shows. I enjoy both.)

I'm fine playing on Thursday, but my problem is how long it went on last time. I played for at least four hours, and still missed a large fraction of the game.

Quote:
Unfortunately, you guys completely ruined The Office by remaking it. At least that means you don't have to watch it, because it just. isn't. funny.

I don't want to provoke a full-on flame war over TV preferences, but I'd just like to say that they're both very funny but in different ways and geared towards different people.

Tuesday this week works for me just fine.

Originally Posted By: Duck in a Throwing Hat
I'm fine playing on Thursday, but my problem is how long it went on last time. I played for at least four hours, and still missed a large fraction of the game.

3 hours, 12 minutes, and 42 seconds. So you missed roughly 39.6% of it.

Click to reveal.. (More fun stats)
The game lasted 5 hours, 19 minutes, and 14 seconds (assuming a 7:00 EDT/6:00 CDT start time).

The only two people that were online for the entire game were Ephesos and Sarachim.

The Dire Octopus fight lasted 40 minutes and 4 seconds (From the archway breaking to the octopus floating to the surface).

Cumulo took the most damage of any character, getting knocked down to 3 HP (1 from fairy bite, 1 from a 15 foot drop, 1 from getting whacked by Conall, 1 from falling off a wall, and 3 from a single attack by the Dire Octopus).

On a separate note, have we figured out what class of magic Lindy prescribes to?

Sarachim wasn't there from the beginning, we had already begun when he showed up. (Admittedly, we were only 10-15 minutes into the game (if that) when he arrived.)

And I didn't have a problem with the length of play - I'm yet to attend a D&D session that ended before the 2-2.5 hours mark.

Alright, I think that the next session will be Tuesday, September 15th, 5PM CDT in the room spidwebRP.

Once more, it's okay if everyone can't make it, but hopefully we can have several characters active again. And as before, spectators are more than welcome (and can still play an integral part in the game). So, unless I'm mistaken, the following people can be there:

-Sarachim/Kaval

-Nikki/Conall

-Jewels/Lindy

-Nioca/Etris

-Duck/John

Originally Posted By: Karl Projektorinski
I'm yet to attend a D&D session that ended before the 2-2.5 hours mark.

Amen to that.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Cumulo took the most damage of any character, getting knocked down to 3 HP (1 from fairy bite, 1 from a 15 foot drop, 1 from getting whacked by Conall, 1 from falling off a wall, and 3 from a single attack by the Dire Octopus).

...okay, let's break this down. The fairy bite was Slarty's doing. The 15 foot drop was a bad roll. Getting whacked by Conall was a worse roll. Falling off the wall again was another bad roll. But the Dire Octopus was your fault. (Oh, and it also might've crit...)

Oh, and I had just assumed that Lindy's school of magic was healing... but yeah, I'd like to know for sure.

@ Eph Well, at first that was my intent as well, that she'd be a healer but then someone asked if I could blast the archway and I asked if I could use any offensive spells and you said go right ahead. So then I just figured that as a priestess she'd probably learn the other priestly spells. Healing, curing, blessing, and shielding are her primary ones but anything on the BoX list of priest spells up to level 4 (since she has a magic level of 4) became optional. Thus the smitely ice bolt and the repel spirit/dispel undead.

As the DM, I lean heavily on your opinion for what Lindy should be allowed to do. If you think giving her access to all level 1-4 BoX priest spells is overpowered tell me how many spells she can have and I'll whittle it down.

Originally Posted By: The Ghost of Jewels
(stuff about magic schools)

Hm. I'm gonna go with leaving it at Healing. I definitely did not intend to allow Lindy to take the entire BoX Priest Spells list, and that's pretty much the antithesis of what I wanted to go with for schools of magic. (In the moment, I forgot that we'd never really cleared it up. My bad for making that call in the session.)

But, if we're gonna retcon that, I think the way to go is to retain Lindy's offensive spells, and focus them around channeling that positive, healing energy into a powerful bolt. Versus living beings, it's too much of a good thing, which causes the damage. Versus inanimate objects, well, it's just extra force. The analogue in D&D would be radiant damage. Of course, the defensive and ameliorative spells will be stronger than the offensive spells (barring extra Stamina).

And yay, I got to use ameliorative in a sentence.

You know you're in for fun when this is your intro:

Click to reveal..
You've been wandering the labyrinth for days, and you haven't seen a soul.

Your arrival was abrupt. One moment, you were charging a burrow full of goblins, the next, you were face-down on cold stone blocks.

You're tired, and you're thirsty. Luckily, you spot a thunderstorm gathering above. You spot what appears to be the first few raindrops coming down, and you crane your neck up, holding out your tongue.

You are utterly shocked when you spot what looks like a large trout falling straight towards you. It clocks you on the head and you pass out.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I dare say it went rather well. From a big-picture view, anyway...

I'm fairly certain that John, Lindy, and Etris would strongly disagree. tongue

Also, see my new sig.

Alright, first off, NEW SHINY LOG!

Next, the session summarized in quotes from each major character:

Click to reveal..
  • Jareth: "Don't bow, it looks disgusting."
  • Conall: "And let's walk and talk - I don't fancy getting battered by this fish..."
  • John: I take out my fish, but instead I gut it with my razor hat and make a fish-hat out of it.
  • The Door Knocker: "Awfully pleasant day for a walk."
  • Etris: "Keep my sword at the ready. This quiet is disquieting."
  • Kaval: "You brought a five-sided die to our raid on a goblin village?"
  • Lindy: ~Hi ho, hi ho, it's down the passage we go. To meet our fate, we shan't be late. Hi, ho. Hi, ho.~

Ever wanna just ask, "What were they thinking?!!??!"

Well, SD and I were a little reckless last night with Lindy and John... Okay, okay, so we were really reckless, but we didn't do it all by ourselves. Here's our behind the scenes chat for the 'pit room'.

Click to reveal.. (Read Eph's log first.)
First, I will say that pushing John had crossed my mind enough for me to send an only half-joking request to Nioca/Etris to help me do it. The bait not taken, I was content let it go until...

[21:51] Sleeping Dragon: Try pushing me in. tongue

[21:51] Sleeping Dragon: I actually have a good feeling about the pit.

[21:52] Me: I was already thinking that. wink

[21:52] Me: If you're ok with it.

[21:52] Sleeping Dragon: Yeah, sure.

[21:52] Sleeping Dragon: John's just protesting in character.

(Lindy pushes John in and he rolls a 4 for balance.)

[21:52] Sleeping Dragon: hehe

[21:56] Me: Watch, now they'll blame me if there isn't a way out and John dies.

[21:56] Sleeping Dragon: Sorry. tongue

[21:56] Sleeping Dragon: I deserved it, though, really.

[21:57] Me: You should run a perception or check the walls or something.

(John checks and comes up with nothing.)

[22:02] Me: If Eph likes John's character, I'm sure he'll give you a way out... somehow. If...

(I, being new to DnD type games, had always just assumed the above. The 'you can't kill another character's player without their permission' rule in regular RP's probably had something to do with this. I now know better.)

[22:02] Sleeping Dragon: If not... I feel bad for Duck.

[22:03] Me: I'll promise to come back for him IC. Just hope he lasts that long.

[22:04] Sleeping Dragon: Aw, thanks.

(After John's attempt to climb the walls failed all seemed lost.)

[22:10] Sleeping Dragon: Looks gloomy.

[22:11] Me: Indeed.

(Etris saves the day and Lindy apologizes.)

[22:15] Sleeping Dragon: XD

[22:16] Me: I don't know if I want to start a romantic realtionship with John... Not at this point. wink

[22:16] Sleeping Dragon: tongue

[22:18] Sleeping Dragon: It is inevitable.

(Now, SD and I are both thinking that if the pit's a dud, the void must be the way out, so I suggest...)

[22:21] Me: Hey... you should push Lindy into the void.

(John asks Lindy to look closer and I totally miss what SD is trying to set up till it's too late.)

[22:22] Me: You have to push me first.

[22:22] Sleeping Dragon: You can't look over the edge to get a better view first?

[22:22] Sleeping Dragon: wink

[22:23] Me: No point. Just go for it.

(Thankfully, the Almighty DM gives the group enough hints to know that the void isn't the way to go either and Lindy's demise is stayed.)

[22:25] Me: Haha, I don't think they know we're in cahoots.

[22:25] Sleeping Dragon: Yeah, I think I'm in trouble now.

[22:45] Me: Is it okay if I post this chat log in the RP thread for everyone?

[22:45] Sleeping Dragon: Sure. Why not?

[22:45] Me: Great. Behind the scenes stuff is always fun too.

[22:46] Sleeping Dragon: Sure is!

And for those of you who wish you could have been a fly on the wall for the aftermath, here's a log for what happened when we started to call it a night.

Click to reveal..
[22:43] Ephesos: Behind the door, you see a torchlit passage descend a flight of stairs. It bends to the left a ways down the path.

[22:43] Ephesos: (If the party still wants to rest, we can call it here.)

[22:43] SarachimSeafello: Either way.

[22:43] Jewels: "I definitely need a rest."

[22:44] Sleeping Dragon: "I'm still pretty beat up. Maybe snuggling with the healer will give me some residual healing."

[22:44] Dikiyoba: A rest would be good.

[22:44] Nioca: (I think we need to get out of these dungeons, but if everyone wants to rest and call it, I'm game)

[22:44] Ephesos: Okay. Will people be keeping watch?

[22:44] SarachimSeafello: I'm unhurt. I'll watch.

[22:44] Dikiyoba: "I can keep watch. I'm not tired."

[22:44] Jewels: I start to wonder if hugging John was a good thing or not.

[22:44] Nioca: I'd prefer to rest, since I'm a bit drained.

[22:45] SarachimSeafello: "Or Conall can watch. All the same to me."

[22:45] Ephesos: If anyone's watching, I need Perception rolls from them. And remember, taking a turn at watching means you get less rest.

[22:46] Dikiyoba: (I'm at 10/10 HP and 9/10 stamina, right?)

[22:46] Jewels: 7 stamina I think

[22:47] Ephesos: 7 stamina, yeah.

[22:47] SarachimSeafello: Am I at 7, or 8?

[22:47] Jewels: 7

[22:47] Ephesos: 7, Kaval.

[22:47] Sleeping Dragon: Maybe Ephesos can post the stats and inventory of everyone in his next post on the forums.

[22:47] SarachimSeafello: Yeah. I'm curious what Nioca has.

[22:47] Dikiyoba: (Grr, Nikki.)

[22:47] Ephesos: I can certainly do that. Anyone mind if I post the character sheets to my site?

[22:47] Dikiyoba: I'll stand watch anyway.

[22:47] Dikiyoba: Dikiyoba rolled 1 20-sided die: 10

[22:47] SarachimSeafello: I don't mine.

[22:47] Ephesos: That's where the logs have been anyway.

[22:47] Sleeping Dragon: Unless of course they have secret inventory, like Lindy seems to have.

[22:47] Jewels: I don't mind.

[22:48] SarachimSeafello: Okay, I'll rest with the others. I may need to climb something.

[22:48] Ephesos: Cumulo had some rare cheese. tongue

[22:48] Jewels: It's not a secret, per say. I just haven't needed them yet.

[22:48] Jewels: Which is a good thing...

[22:48] Nioca: I have spores in my pocket and a shortsword. That's about it.

[22:48] Nioca: Oh, and clothes, but that's a given.

[22:48] SarachimSeafello: I wouldn't mind seeing my inventory. I keep getting this nagging feeling I'm forgetting about something I have. tongue

[22:49] Ephesos: Okay. So Conall will keep watch, and nobody is helping?

[22:49] Dikiyoba: (If I discover that I've had eyeglasses in my inventory this whole time... :p)

[22:49] SarachimSeafello: Right.

[22:49] Nioca: (Part of me wants to help, but at 4 stamina, I could use the rest)

[22:50] SarachimSeafello: I could help, but what's the worst that could happen?

[22:50] Nioca: Giant digging machine attacks?

[22:50] Jewels: Lindy's down to three and she uses stamina every time she heals someone so she's gonna be snoring in just a bit.

[22:50] SarachimSeafello: I think Conall can see those coming.

[22:50] Nioca: Can he, though?

[22:51] Nioca: We just had our favorite digger disappear into thin air.

[22:51] Ephesos: Common sense tells you that you're not going to get very good rest in a dark dusty corridor somewhere underground, for the record.

[22:51] Jewels: "Wouldn't we wake up if a giant machine started rumbling towards us again?"

[22:51] Ephesos: You will get rest, just not as good as it could be.

[22:52] SarachimSeafello: "If you're insisting I help Conall watch, I can do it. Just don't blame me when I'm cranky tomorrow."

[22:52] Nioca: "You know, if that thing comes at us again, we need someone fully alert who can hurt the thing."

[22:52] Nioca: I'll help.

[22:52] Nioca: Nioca rolled 1 20-sided die: 18

[22:52] Ephesos: Okay, so I need Perception rolls from Etris and Kaval.

[22:52] Jewels: Don't

[22:52] Dikiyoba: "You're a mage. You use stamina like crazy."

[22:52] SarachimSeafello: "Hey, you actually need rest."

[22:52] Dikiyoba: "Rest."

[22:53] Ephesos: (looks forward to fixing this up in the log... :p)

[22:53] Nioca: "I'll still get rest."

[22:53] SarachimSeafello: (Hey, I like that our group is so dysfunctional that we get into long arguments about who should and should not go to sleep. :p)

[22:53] Jewels: I start singing Etris to sleep so he can get better rested.

[22:53] Nioca: "And I'll make sure we don't get a digging machine up our rears."

[22:54] SarachimSeafello: "Fine, have it your way. While you're up, could you take this piece of glass and sharpen up another bone for me? I'm down to just one, and I like to have two."

[22:54] Nioca: (Would that hurt my stamina recovery further?)

[22:54] SarachimSeafello: (It didn't last time we tried it.)

[22:54] Ephesos: I already covered this. If you help keep watch, you get less rest.

[22:55] Ephesos: And you're out of glass, Kaval.

[22:55] Nioca: (Yeah, I know, but if I also sharpen the bone

[22:55] SarachimSeafello: I am? Dang.

[22:55] Nioca: (oh, nevermind)

[22:55] SarachimSeafello: Oh well, I'll make do.

[22:55] SarachimSeafello: ... wait, isn't there another broken glass ball in the hallway?

[22:55] Dikiyoba: "Good Lord."

[22:55] Jewels: "Out of glass? Aw... I was gonna ask for a piece to shave with in the morning."

[22:55] Sleeping Dragon: "Razor hat?"

[22:56] Ephesos: There's no more glass.

[22:56] SarachimSeafello: (If you don't want me to keep sharpening things, you shouldn't put so many bones everywhere. :p)

[22:56] Jewels: "Heh, that'll work, John."

[22:56] Sleeping Dragon: "I'll want it back when you're done, assuming that jungle on your face doesn't dull the edges too much."

[22:57] Dikiyoba: "Kaval can stay awake or not. The rest of you need to go to sleep right now, or I swear I will club you unconscious."

[22:57] Jewels: "I just hope it's sharp enough to get the job done."

[22:57] SarachimSeafello: "Good enough for me." I go to sleep, for real, seriously this time.

[22:58] Ephesos: Okay, so Conall keeps watch.

[22:58] Nioca: *cough*

[22:58] Jewels: I lie down using John as a pillow and fall asleep.

[22:58] Ephesos: ...End session. tongue

[22:58] Ephesos: Okay, so, first, story time.

[22:58] Dikiyoba: Do I need to roll for anything again, or will that happen next session?

[22:59] Ephesos: (You're good.)

[22:59] Ephesos: I think I've told this one before on SV, but it's good... so I ran a few games for some kids at my job this summer. Standard dungeon crawl. Dragon at the end.

[22:59] Ephesos: There's a big sacrificial pit running through the entire temple that goes down to the dragon.

[22:59] Ephesos: It intersects the dungeon at two points.

[23:00] Ephesos: The first time these kids pass it, they just walk by once they realize how deep it is.

[23:00] Ephesos: The second time, the rogue decides to go down the pit.

[23:01] Ephesos: Obviously, the rope holding him snaps and falls into the darkness. He gets bullied into a corner by the dragon (which he can't see).

[23:01] Ephesos: I had to take him into the next room to run that part, so I don't spoil it.

[23:01] Ephesos: As soon as I come back to the room, the warlock looks right at me and says "I jump into the pit".

[23:01] Ephesos: I ask him "are you sure?"

[23:01] Ephesos: "I jump into the pit."

[23:02] Ephesos: Repeat that twice. And I take him outside.

[23:02] Ephesos: He does everything he can do to get eaten, but I just have the dragon physically knock him into the corner with the rogue, where they cower until the party finds them.

[23:02] Ephesos: He also forgot to use a rope.

[23:02] Ephesos: It was awesome.

[23:03] Ephesos: That is what I kept thinking of for the whole pit thing.

[23:03] Sleeping Dragon: Uhg, you never know with this RP.

[23:03] Sleeping Dragon: The pit could be awesome... or it could be a pit.

[23:03] Sleeping Dragon: The only way to find out is to go on in.

[23:03] SarachimSeafello: Most fantasy settings require you to do an obvious, stupid thing at some point. tongue

[23:03] Nioca: Actually, I probably could have shone the light down their ahead of time.

[23:04] Nioca: Unfortunately, I didn't think of that till after John jumped in.

[23:04] Sleeping Dragon: The failure in the pit actually made me more confident that the void was something good.

[23:04] Sleeping Dragon: But Ephesos was extra cruel this round, I guess. tongue

[23:04] SarachimSeafello: Yeah, ditto.

[23:04] Ephesos: I mean, I'm surprised.

[23:05] SarachimSeafello: How so?

[23:05] Ephesos: Very, very surprised. Nobody thought to do with the door what you did at the very beginning.

[23:05] Dikiyoba: ...argh.

[23:05] Ephesos: And I did not expect anyone to want to go into the bottomless, death-assured void.

[23:05] Jewels: Close it and open it again?

[23:06] Sleeping Dragon: DMs aren't the only ones that can throw curve-balls I guess. wink

[23:06] Sleeping Dragon: It is improv-rp.

[23:06] Ephesos: Yeah.

[23:06] Ephesos: Or take it off the wall.

[23:06] Ephesos: Of course, it might not've worked.

[23:07] Ephesos: Depends on the door, in case you haven't noticed. tongue

[23:07] Ephesos: (Of course, don't count on that. :p)

[23:07] SarachimSeafello: Hmm. In retrospect, yeah, that would have made sense. tongue

[23:07] Ephesos: Shoving John into the pit, though... wow.

[23:07] Nioca: And Lindy?

[23:07] Nioca: Never saw that one coming.

[23:07] Jewels: Meh, John wanted to go in. He said so himself.

[23:07] SarachimSeafello: Yeah. Sounds like. . . well, like something John would do. tongue

[23:08] Sleeping Dragon: I try very hard to stay in character. smile

[23:08] Jewels: And I suppose my character has a breaking point. John seems to pick on her in the RP.

[23:08] Sleeping Dragon: Easiest target. tongue

[23:08] Nioca: Yeah, but still...

[23:10] Jewels: It was all I could think about as soon as he said he voted for the pit. Running through the back of my mind... "Push him in, push him in... just do it. Push him in!"

[23:10] Ephesos: Aside from the PvP, how are people liking it?

[23:11] Nioca: I like it.

[23:11] SarachimSeafello: Me too.

[23:11] Sleeping Dragon: Awesome, of course.

[23:11] Nioca: Not enthused about how I still am blowing rolls like crazy, but I suppose that's in the hands of the dice.

[23:11] Ephesos: Also, for the record, everyone recovers 3 Stamina, except Conall, who recovers 2.

[23:11] Dikiyoba: Sweet.

[23:11] Nioca: Yay.

[23:11] Jewels: I loved the PvP part too.

[23:11] SarachimSeafello: Does anyone else find it alarming that we seem to get more stupid and reckless with time? That's pretty impressive, considering how we started by picking a fight with an octopus.

[23:11] Ephesos: Oh, and Kaval still only recovers 2.

[23:12] Jewels: John and Lindy gonna have it out one of these days.

[23:12] Ephesos: John is still wounded at 5 HP.

[23:12] SarachimSeafello: Oh, right, zombie arm.

[23:12] Sleeping Dragon: I think we were getting more reckless towards the end because it was getting late.

[23:12] Sleeping Dragon: Aw, no residual healing?

[23:12] Nioca: And because we were still cooped up in that room.

[23:12] Sleeping Dragon: Oh, right.

[23:12] Dikiyoba: Tired and not thinking clearly, obviously.

[23:12] SarachimSeafello: Probably. I am kind of sleepy, actually.

[23:13] Ephesos: Fair enough.

[23:13] Nioca: Seriously, at the time, dropkicking Lindy out the door seemed relatively sane.

[23:13] Sleeping Dragon: I know right?

[23:13] Ephesos: Anyone have thoughts on the next session's timing?

[23:13] Nioca: Hmm...

[23:13] Sleeping Dragon: As usually and can't guarantee any time, but weekday evenings are the best chance.

[23:14] Sleeping Dragon: I*

[23:14] Dikiyoba: We need to get off this current schedule. I have one other social activity and it's on alternating Thursdays and Tuesdays. tongue

[23:14] Ephesos: I mean, we can try for a regular day or keep it floating.

[23:14] Sleeping Dragon: What activity is that?

[23:14] Nioca: I say keep it floating.

[23:14] Nioca: You never know when things come up.

[23:15] Jewels: Mondays and Tuesdays work best for me. Wednesday is church and the next four thursdays I am busy with something. Friday is movie night. Weekends could work but the kids usually want the computer then.

[23:16] Nioca: Tuesdays after this are a no-go for me.

[23:16] SarachimSeafello: I'm fairly flexible. Thursday I'm busy until about 6:30 Central, but other days I could start at the time we did today.

[23:16] Sleeping Dragon: Monday then?

[23:16] Nioca: But other than that, I'm flexible.

[23:16] Dikiyoba: I suppose the question really belongs on the SW thread so we can get everyone's opinion.

[23:16] Ephesos: Fair enough, yeah.

[23:17] Ephesos: I was kinda hoping to work it out now, but that works too. tongue

[23:18] Ephesos: Okay, so cool. Yay nobody dying, despite your best efforts.

[23:18] Nioca: Well, the cake has to go to John.

[23:18] Nioca: Sitting on the orb?

[23:18] Ephesos: That was absolutely inspired.

[23:19] Jewels: Anybody mind if I put some of the after session chat logs in spoilers tomorrow?

[23:19] Sleeping Dragon: I was hoping for butterflies.

[23:19] SarachimSeafello: I don't mind.

[23:19] Nioca: Not me.

[23:19] Sleeping Dragon: Go for it.

[23:19] Ephesos: The what?

[23:19] SarachimSeafello: You have an INT of 5. You're supposed to notice how they've gotten progressively more dangerous. tongue

[23:19] Ephesos: But sure.

[23:20] Nioca: Admittedly, it was a bit of a spike from the last one.

[23:20] Jewels: The part of our chat together after the session ended, eph.

[23:20] Ephesos: Oh, okay.

[23:20] Ephesos: Yeah.

[23:20] SarachimSeafello: Hey, the fish rain was pretty dangerous. tongue

[23:22] Nioca: Yeah.

[23:22] Ephesos: I didn't initially intend it to be that dangerous, but then I couldn't get the mental image of a carp taking out a stone statue...

[23:22] Ephesos: *get it out of my head

[23:23] Nioca: What was the fungus stuff, anyway?

[23:23] Jewels: Stuff that stole our stamina.

[23:23] Sleeping Dragon: The movie did have fungus with eyeballs.

[23:23] Sleeping Dragon: They made neat noises, actually.

[23:23] SarachimSeafello: Precious, precious stamina.

[23:23] SarachimSeafello: I'm have 10 now if not for Nioca.

[23:24] Ephesos: Yeah.

[23:24] Nioca: In my defense, I honestly thought the wall was breakable.

[23:25] Jewels: I wasn't that happy with Eph raising Lindy's stamina use for group heal... but I suppose it's not supposed to be that easy.

[23:25] Nioca: I thought the raise was due to the increased damage she had to deal with.

[23:25] SarachimSeafello: I am looking back on the session, at all the possible weapons I did not think to pick up at the time.

[23:26] Nioca: The previous group heal was for two people, one somewhat injured and one seriously injured.

[23:26] Ephesos: Yeah, that was basically it.

[23:26] Nioca: This one was for everyone.

[23:26] Ephesos: Everyone had a bunch of damage.

[23:26] Jewels: Okay. Anybody grab a fish for supper?

[23:27] Nioca: I threw my Sunfish into the void.

[23:27] Jewels: I wasn't quite in character yet when I started leaving the scene.

[23:27] Nioca: And John made his into a hat.

[23:27] Sleeping Dragon: I'm keeping my fish-hat.

[23:27] Jewels: I sure hope Cumulo pockets some...

[23:27] SarachimSeafello: He's a foodomancer. I'm sure he'll think of it.

[23:28] Sleeping Dragon: Maybe some got stuck in his robe when he got showered with minnows.

[23:28] Sleeping Dragon: I can imagine a bunch falling out when he goes to lay down.

[23:28] Dikiyoba: His fish will even taste good from the spices he summons. tongue

[23:28] Jewels: Hey... look at that... some fell down my brazier. Who want's sushi?

[23:29] Sleeping Dragon: I was wondering what that smell was.

[23:29] Ephesos: I think that Etris still has a trout.

[23:29] Jewels: I punch John in the stomach... Not too hard though.

[23:29] Nioca: Oh yeah!

[23:29] SarachimSeafello: I could have pried the talons off of that vulture, I could have gotten some spores to throw at people, I could have grabbed loose stones from where we fell, or the razor blades from the glass ball explosion.

[23:29] Ephesos: And John is still wearing a ... fish hat.

[23:30] Sleeping Dragon: Does it add to my stats?

[23:30] Nioca: I forgot, Etris picked that trout up that knocked him out.

[23:30] SarachimSeafello: So many chances that will never come again. I sure hope that there's a baseball bat or some barbed wire in the next update.

[23:30] SarachimSeafello: Or, ideally, both.

[23:30] Sleeping Dragon: Haha, I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come.

[23:30] Ephesos: It most certainly does not add to your stats. It also probably penalizes your bluff rolls.

[23:30] Jewels: See... now that you've said it out loud the DM's not going to put it in.

[23:31] Nioca: Next time we come across cloth, I'm making a pouch.

[23:31] Ephesos: (I should've had Jareth comment on it)

[23:31] Jewels: I have cloth.

[23:31] Nioca: For the spores.

[23:31] SarachimSeafello: (John didn't have the fish-hat yet when we met Jareth)

[23:31] Jewels: I tore off my skirt just above the knees...

[23:31] Jewels: Lindy tried to give you some when you took the spores.

[23:31] SarachimSeafello: Also, we have John's extra clothes.

[23:31] Nioca: That way, you know, I'm not keeping the spores in my pocket.

[23:32] SarachimSeafello: I think your mistake is carrying them with you in the first place. tongue

[23:32] Nioca: Nah. A tightly-tied pouch would do the trick.

[23:32] Nioca: But right now, I'm just asking for a critical roll to blow those all in my face.

[23:33] SarachimSeafello: You should give them to me. I have the relevant weapon skill. tongue

[23:33] Jewels: Or into all our faces...

[23:33] Ephesos: Oh, he didn't?

[23:34] Nioca: Didn't what?

[23:34] Dikiyoba: Nope. The fish-hat came while we were in the void room.

[23:34] Dikiyoba: Right before Lindy threw John into the pit.

[23:34] Ephesos: Ah, okay.

[23:35] Dikiyoba: If my character ever meets him, there will be sneerage. tongue

[23:35] Jewels: Are we sure it didn't come off in the pit and stay there?

[23:36] Ephesos: John's a competent hat-maker, it stayed on.

[23:38] Nioca: Was there any plans for him to get out of the pit if no one could rescure him?

[23:38] Ephesos: If he had fought the octopus...

[23:37] Ephesos: VERY lucky.

[23:37] Nioca: John is very lucky.

[23:38] Nioca: *rescue

[23:38] Ephesos: ...nope.

[23:38] Nioca: Wow.

[23:38] Ephesos: Similarly, if anyone had actually gone into the void...

[23:38] Ephesos: Look, I can't just let everyone off. tongue

[23:39] Sleeping Dragon: I was seeing the light for a few minutes there.

[23:39] Sleeping Dragon: I would have felt really bad for killing Duck's character, though. frown

[23:39] SarachimSeafello: Eh, Duck can make another.

[23:39] Nioca: John also is lucky that Ephesos offered a counter-suggestion to what I had in mind.

[23:39] Sleeping Dragon: John would never say it, but from me: thanks Nioca.

[23:39] Nioca: Originally, he was going to get shot out of that pit like a cannon.

[23:40] Dikiyoba: To be honest, there was a certain amount of curiosity in seeing what you would do Ephesos when I suggested going into the void. tongue

[23:40] Nioca: Don't thank me, SD.

[23:41] Nioca: When Etris says John owes him, he means it.

[23:41] Ephesos: One near-death was enough. tongue

[23:41] *** Rowen has joined the chat.

[23:42] Nioca: Hello.

[23:42] Nioca: You just missed the PvP match.

[23:42] Sleeping Dragon: Good luck collecting that debt, then, Nioca. tongue

[23:42] Dikiyoba: And the rest of the session.

[23:43] Jewels: One near death per session... that seems exciting enough. Maybe it's just because I've never played a DnD before but I like it when crazy stuff is happening.

[23:43] Ephesos: Dead characters are bad.

[23:44] Ephesos: Of course, if characters persist in doing stupid things, I can't stop them.

[23:44] SarachimSeafello: I'm not sure we can get much stupider.

[23:44] Jewels: Bad, yes, exciting, also yes.

[23:44] Ephesos: Think of it like this. You've been warned.

[23:44] Nioca: Ephesos: since Lindy's a fairly competent healer, would it be possible for her to revive a fallen character? (As in, recently dead and it'd cost 10 Stamina to do so)

[23:45] Ephesos: It's entirely possible, yes... but I think she'd need some more ranks in her skills.

[23:45] Ephesos: Btw, I need to dole out skill points. Boo advancement system.

[23:45] SarachimSeafello: Whee, advancement system!

[23:46] Nioca: Ooh!

[23:46] Dikiyoba: We should gain points according to the number of stupid things we do *not* do. tongue

[23:46] Rowen: So you will let characters die and not just have them knocked out or unable to do anything until receiving major healing?

[23:47] Ephesos: I was thinking skill points based on one's Int score, and HP based on Strength.

[23:47] Ephesos: But that would be a little lame.

[23:47] Sleeping Dragon: Wohoo.

[23:47] Dikiyoba: Yes, it would.

[23:47] Rowen: That would be like death but able to come back with not such a strict restriction like raising.

[23:47] Jewels: Hm... I like that though Eph. Lindy approves.

[23:47] Sleeping Dragon: John, too.

[23:47] Nioca: Stamina already does that though.

[23:47] Nioca: (The knocking out stuff, I mean)

[23:48] Nioca: HP based on Strength sounds alright.

[23:48] SarachimSeafello: Eph: Your system penalizes Dex-heavy characters. Not that I'm biased or anything. tongue

[23:48] Ephesos: Yeah. For instance, if Cumulo had run out of Stamina during the octopus fight (since he almost did), he would've died by drowning.

[23:48] Ephesos: Sarachim: I know, yeah.

[23:49] Ephesos: That's my dilemma.

[23:49] Sleeping Dragon: Just give everyone the same boost to hit points and stamina, and skill points based on how many they already have?

[23:49] Nioca: Wait: What if it's a flat amount of skill points, but you can put it into HP or Stamina as well?

[23:49] Sleeping Dragon: Ah, good plan.

[23:49] Dikiyoba: Why not just give people skill points to spend as they wish?

[23:50] Jewels: Or Dex heavy could gain stamina.

[23:50] SarachimSeafello: Or speed.

[23:50] Nioca: But then you'd be shutting out Intelligence.

[23:50] Sleeping Dragon: Stamina is also mana, though, mages practically need it most.

[23:50] SarachimSeafello: True.

[23:51] Sleeping Dragon: I think boosting everyone's stamina and health and giving everyone skill points to spend sounds fair.

[23:51] Sleeping Dragon: Or just give skill points and let people choose if they want to buy skills or health and stamina with them.

[23:51] Ephesos: Stamina cannot be gained except by DM favor.

[23:52] SarachimSeafello: Well, there's still speed, if that actually does anything.

[23:52] Ephesos: Speed is not important.

[23:52] Ephesos: Yet.

[23:52] Dikiyoba: Commence plan: brownnosing. tongue

[23:53] Nioca: Two stamina questions: First, can one burn multiple stamina points in a single attack to really amp it up? And second (and this is more a proposal), but would it be possible to burn HP to regain stamina during an intense moment (like a fight)?

[23:53] Ephesos: Donations in straight-up Meat are welcome. tongue

[23:53] Ephesos: 1. Yes.

[23:53] Ephesos: 2. No.

[23:54] Nioca: Okay.

You know, reading the log just isn't the same as being there live. There are some moments, like the pit scene, which only take a couple minutes to read, but I feel like we were stuck on that problem for, like, half an hour. I really was preparing to die at that point. Luckily I lived, so the day may yet come when John makes a successful bluff role. wink

...the day may yet come when John makes a successful bluff role. wink

If he ever bluffs in a way that could actually be taken seriously, to someone who isn't a party member, perhaps. tongue

But seriously. I agonized over what to do about the pit and void dilemma. But honestly, if nobody had been able to save John, he would've died by drowning. And if anyone had gone into the starry void, they would've died by falling forever.

Originally Posted By: Jewels
(I, being new to DnD type games, had always just assumed the above. The 'you can't kill another character's player without their permission' rule in regular RP's probably had something to do with this. I now know better.)

...this is very important. It is very easy to die in D&D. It's also pretty easy to die in this system, since you also have to watch your Stamina. Honestly, John probably should've died after he sat on the hat.

I guess since this whole thing evolved out of SoT's topic, wherein both he and I mentioned that we wouldn't let our players die, I felt confident. I suppose that I shouldn't have assumed it would be the same for you, especially since your are the only one out of the three of us dealing with experienced RPers who should know better in the first place. tongue Though I did think you'd give me points for trying to hat climb my way out, and was devastated when that plan didn't work. I've learned my lesson, though, and I'll be more careful next time for sure. I just hope that it doesn't make the game less funny and interesting in the long run.

I've been trying to strike a balance between the comedic and the serious in this so far, and I think I've been somewhat successful. It's really how I view Labyrinth's universe: a place with its own internal logic that makes no sense to outsiders, and rather serious penalties for those who can't adapt.