The Labyrinth RP

Ephesos

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even so, between midterms and the Yankees being in the playoffs, there are likely to be few nights that work really well for me in the next 2-3 weeks, and I can't really predict which ones they'll be, so we might as well do Thursday.

Whoever covers for me in the beginning: use Thuja's axe and Temmyn's tools to make me some javelins from the trees we camped under, and a new club for Conall if he wants one. Proper roleplaying demands it. tongue

Yeah, I'd love a new club - the metal bar is awesome, but clubs are where its at.

Speaking of which, I just hope I don't lose that wrench in some amusingly annoying situation. That's what I'd get for specializing.

(Though maybe Eph would let me apply the Wrench skill bonus to similar one-handed blunt weapons like a club.)

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus

(Though maybe Eph would let me apply the Wrench skill bonus to similar one-handed blunt weapons like a club.)

Rest assured, I wouldn't be that mean. A wrench is basically a club, unless you're doing something really fancy.

Temmyn clamps the wrench down on the zombie's skull and tightens it, killing it instantly. Oh, and then the wrench breaks.

Eh. Two days and I couldn't think of a new skill that was funny and relevant to our current adventure, so Conall will get one of the stock ones. :(

Also, I can't for the life of me remember his current HP, so I'm leaving it blank. Kthx.

Name: Conall Strongarm

Race: Human

Strength: 6

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 1

HP: ??/22 (+6)

Skills:

-Martial (Club): 5

-Intimidate: 2

-Nature: 4

-First Aid (+1)

Items:

A large metal bar.

Two halves of a single-handed club.

A leather whip.

A bearskin loincloth.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytar

(Though at times frustrating. Our party has the collective intelligence of a cauliflower.)

Remind me to tell you about the time we had a party member who was cursed with, among other things, being unable to die. We cast Remove Curse on him once we were able to... forgetting that his body wasn't attached to his head at the moment.

DM had a great time describing that one.

(Though at times frustrating. Our party has the collective intelligence of a cauliflower.)

I don't mind this. If anything, I enjoy it. Many of our best moments have come from situations we wouldn't have ever gotten into if we were smarter, and the arguing keeps me entertained when the action slows down.

(pardon my double-post)

SESSION #5's LOG IS NOW UP!

And now, the session summarized in quotes:

• John: "I haven't sold a hat in a long time."
  • Conall: "I think we should just solve this with extreme violence."
  • Temmyn: "Does it strike anyone that we've spent the whole night running away from some ominous bad weather into a forest we have no idea how to get out of?"
  • Thuja: "Here, sharky sharky sharky."
  • Lindy: "We could make a fort out of their dead bodies!"
  • Etris: "Or would you prefer to be flying shark target practice for the remainder of this journey?"
  • DM: "You cannot dual-wield the sharks."
  • Kaval: "Jareth, I'm ambivalent about this rain. I cannot decide whether I want it to continue or not!"

I will have the calendar for session #6 up soon.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

Also, yeah. I really need to start remembering which side of the axe Thuja is using. So far, Thuja has clubbed with the sharp side and cut with the blunt side. :p

If you don't, you will discover a shark head in your bed one night.

Or possibly a shark tail. Dikiyoba can't decide which end is more fitting.

Why not all the little things that stick onto a shark? They are equally gross to have tossed into your bed and there are more of them. Being small and slimy parasites they could slither into places that are hard to reach and stink out the room.

Of course this is Hypothetical, I would not like too critisise an axe weilding person.

My favorite fumble:

Kaval

"Guys, this isn't a shark at all. It's a bear!"

(Ironically, of course, the land sharks were themselves a fumble come to life.)

Also, disappointed. In combat, I drop cool one-liners all the time, and yet my title quote is once again one of my dry remarks. :p

Temmyn

"Look, Gills. I won't enjoy doing this, but I have not had a nice day. Stay the hell out of my way or things will go hard for you."

Ephesos

The shark completely leaves the ground, briefly looking like a torpedo as it slams into Kaval's chest, knocking him flat on the ground.

(3 damage to Kaval, and his attack fails.)

Temmyn

"You asked for it." I take my wrench and try to smack it on the nose.

Temmyn

"At the very least, I could make a bitchin' necklace and everyone would know that here comes Temmyn the Shark Clubber, and fear me."

Lindy

I keep an eye out for shelter.

Etris

I keep an eye out for sharks.

Temmyn

I keep an eye out for shelter with sharks in it.

Ephesos

You see none of those things.

Needless to say, the one time I rolled well was when I didn't quip...

Temmyn

I get up and hit the big shark again as well.

DICE

Temmyn rolled 1 20-sided die: 20

... or when it was totally pointless.

Temmyn

I cast my divination to get an idea of how much metal there is, and how close.

DICE

Temmyn rolled 1 20-sided die: 20

It's like rolling a natural twenty on tying your shoe. :p

My favorite fumble:

Kaval

"Guys, this isn't a shark at all. It's a bear!"

When Aran followed that up with a fumble of his own, I was bracing for a shark/bear argument between the party members. Fortunately, there are still some depths to which we've yet to sink.

First, here's a log of what happened when I split off from the party, on the off chance anyone's curious.

Click to reveal.. (Etris's Solo Adventure)
ephesossh (10:08:08 PM): Do you slow down when you lose sight of the rest of the party?

ephesossh (10:08:27 PM): Or are you even looking?

ephesossh (10:08:45 PM): (Don't metagame. :p)

Nioca (10:08:53 PM): No. I keep moving in one direction to get out of this forest as quickly as possible.

ephesossh (10:09:03 PM): Okay.

ephesossh (10:09:39 PM): You very quickly realize that you have no idea where you're going.

Nioca (10:10:26 PM): Don't need one. I'm just traveling in as straight a line as possible. Wherever it goes, it'll eventually hit out.

ephesossh (10:11:36 PM): Okay, then we'll come back to you in a bit.

Nioca (10:11:51 PM): Gotcha.

ephesossh (10:15:55 PM): You do see the blast of light Lindy created, if you ever turn around.

ephesossh (10:16:39 PM): And you see the bolt of lightning, but it's on par with the storm so it doesn't look out of place.

Nioca (10:17:06 PM): *Sigh* Some shark's going to nail their butts, aren't they?

ephesossh (10:17:14 PM): We'll see.

Nioca (10:17:52 PM): I'm really at a dilemma here.

Nioca (10:18:26 PM): On one hand, I don't want to just leave them alone. But on the other hand, with the way they're behaving, it's just asking for a TPK.

ephesossh (10:18:51 PM): Well, while they decide things for themselves, we can go back to you.

ephesossh (10:19:08 PM): First, what are you using for light?

Nioca (10:19:14 PM): Magic.

ephesossh (10:19:18 PM): 'k.

ephesossh (10:19:42 PM): Well, while you're running, it's harder to maintain your concentration, so the area's smaller than if you were just standing.

ephesossh (10:19:51 PM): You hear a series of growls to your left.

Nioca (10:20:41 PM): I slow down. I don't want to get caught off-guard by an errant shark.

ephesossh (10:20:59 PM): Another growl on your right. But it might be an echo, you're not sure.

Nioca (10:21:47 PM): I keep walking but keep an eye out for sharks.

ephesossh (10:23:05 PM): 'k.

ephesossh (10:24:19 PM): You realize something about the growls. They really, really don't sound like sharks.

ephesossh (10:25:13 PM): (have you been going in a straight line?)

Nioca (10:25:16 PM): Yes.

Nioca (10:26:32 PM): I stop and listen. Can I make out anything specific about it? (Nature/Perception check?)

ephesossh (10:26:54 PM): Nothing you recognize.

Nioca (10:27:08 PM): I keep moving. Shield still in place?

ephesossh (10:27:20 PM): It has worn off by now.

Nioca (10:27:52 PM): Ah, well. I don't want to cast it again for fear of being premature. Also, I brush off the shark bits as I walk.

ephesossh (10:29:12 PM): You manage to get most of the shark bits.

Nioca (10:30:10 PM): *watches them shouting* And we wonder why I'm trying to put distance between me and them.

ephesossh (10:31:17 PM): (the weather applies to you too)

Nioca (10:31:23 PM): (I kinda figured)

Nioca (10:31:47 PM): I keep moving, trying to keep my light as strong as possible without becoming heavily draining.

ephesossh (10:32:06 PM): The visibility is becoming a problem.

Nioca (10:32:32 PM): Spend a stamina to keep the light bright.

ephesossh (10:32:53 PM): No need for that. You know it won't help much.

Nioca (10:32:57 PM): Oh.

ephesossh (10:33:02 PM): If anything, it'd make more glare.

Nioca (10:35:10 PM): I keep an eye out for shelter as I walk. Though I probably won't spot any with this wheather.

ephesossh (10:35:26 PM): Not unless you trip over it, no.

Nioca (10:35:51 PM): Hey, don't knock it. That works some times. tongue

Nioca (10:40:03 PM): I'm still walking. I just don't want to keep saying that, since it get repetitive.

ephesossh (10:40:15 PM): Yeah, I'm assuming that.

Nioca (10:43:05 PM): Use my Razor-rimmed throwing hat to collect some rainwater for drinking.

ephesossh (10:43:57 PM): You do so. No problems.

Nioca (10:45:08 PM): Perception. Is there any change in the growling?

ephesossh (10:45:31 PM): Nope, it's still following you.

Nioca (10:45:54 PM): That's good. Means it hasn't worked up the nerve to attack.

ephesossh (10:47:06 PM): You don't see that signal, distracted by the growling.

Nioca (10:47:29 PM): If I had, my reaction probably would have been, "Oh no! They're chasing me! Run!"

Nioca (10:47:45 PM): :-P

Nioca (10:48:49 PM): Why do I get the feeling that someone's going to get attacked in the next few minutes?

ephesossh (10:49:06 PM): Because we're getting close to the end of the session? tongue

Nioca (10:49:44 PM): Did the bolt illuminate anything for me?

ephesossh (10:50:09 PM): Yes, in fact.

ephesossh (10:50:26 PM): You catch a brief glimpse of the lightning reflecting off of metal.

Nioca (10:51:11 PM): Which direction is the metal in relation to me?

ephesossh (10:51:20 PM): On your left.

Nioca (10:51:30 PM): Oh.

Nioca (10:51:32 PM): Crap.

Nioca (10:52:19 PM): Um... I strafe towards the metal so as not to lose my direction.

ephesossh (10:54:16 PM): The next flash of lightning reveals nothing to you. All you see is trees.

ephesossh (10:54:53 PM): However, you hear a keening sound, similar to the sound of steel on steel. It steadily rises in pitch.

Nioca (10:55:26 PM): I create a force shield around myself. (1 Stamina)

ephesossh (10:56:02 PM): Duly noted.

ephesossh (10:59:19 PM): You think you hear footsteps behind you. Wet, squishy footsteps.

Nioca (11:00:37 PM): I prepare for battle. Can my perception pinpoint the target?

ephesossh (11:00:47 PM): Nope.

ephesossh (11:01:06 PM): You hear Lindy.

Nioca (11:01:22 PM): "What the- Are you lot insane?!?"

ephesossh (11:01:34 PM): Go ahead and say it in the main window.

Alright, in the interest of statistical gathering, I went through all the logs. First off, there is a lot of data. However, I gathered a few interesting tidbits. Two things to note, however: First, this doesn't count anything that happens in private. If the public can't see it, it isn't counted. Second, some of the sessions were quite chaotic, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a dice roll or some such that I missed.

Click to reveal.. (Warning. Whole crapload of stats.)
Okay, first off, we have a total success rate of 40%. If any of us do anything, there's a 6-in-10 chance that it'll fail. Conall has the best success rate of us all at 46%, and Temmyn has the worst at 25%. The all-time-highest success rate for a single session belongs to Lindy, at 65% during Session 3. The all-time-lowest belongs to Temmyn again, with 11% during Session 4.

Overall, Session 3 was the best session for success, with us almost managing a 50% success rate (we got 49%). However, this is when the dice turned on us. Next session was an all-time low, at 29%, and the one after that was a mere 33%.

It's hard to say whether the dice like or dislike Kaval. On one hand, he has a success rate of 36% and has gotten 3 of the campaign's 19 fumbles. On the other hand, of the 18 critical successes had by the party, Kaval's gotten 7 of them. The best theory I can come up with is that Kaval is unfortunately lucky.

The deadliest character appears to be Thuja, who rakes in 1.67 kills per session. Conall's a close second, with 1.6 kills/session. And Kaval brings up the rear at a meager 0.4 kills/session. So far, Conall has made the most kills, with a body count of 8.

Bluff is indeed the "Roll to fail" skill. 7 bluff attempts have been made (discarding those without a roll), and none have succeeded. Nature isn't all that hot either, holding a success rate of 31%.

John appears to draw in the majority of the incidental damage. Of the 24 damage he's taken over the course of the campaign, 14 of it has been from sources other than an enemy. The kicker? 13 of that was from one session (Session 2). Conall, on the other hand, seems to draw in the combat damage, taking 6.6 damage per session in enemy fire (for a total of 25 combat damage, and 33 damage overall).

Etris uses the most stamina per session (2.25), which comes as no surprise. John has used absolutely none over the course of 4 sessions (well, 3 and a half). Despite this, however, John still manages to lose 3.5 stamina each session.

Fate also seems to be utterly indifferent to John. He has not gotten a single critical success or fumble over the course of 4 sessions.

Thuja fumbles the most, pulling in 1.67 fumbles per session. In fact, 14% of his dice rolls thusfar have been fumbles (which is 9% over what it should be). This beat the original pacesetter, who was Conall (he got 3 critical fumbles in his first session!). Curiously enough, both characters were handled by Dikiyoba... Diki, no offense, but I don't think I'll be letting you take over Etris anytime soon. tongue

Out of the 370 dice rolls ( eek ), 148 led to success. 18 rolls were critical successes, and 19 were critical failures. When it comes to rolling, Kaval has rolled the most. He has made 72 dice rolls, and makes 14.4 rolls per session. However, Etris is the most frequent roller, making 15.75 rolls a session. On average, 74 dice rolls are made per session.

This part's iffy, since I can only see one side of the equation. However, it appears that enemies have excellent aim. 73% of their attacks find a target. Thuja dodges the most attacks, getting hit only 62% of the time. By contrast, Kaval and John seems to have a 0% chance to evade. Every attack that comes their way lands. This despite the fact that, compared to the rest of the party, both have excellent dexterity and should be able to avoid attack.

Thuja appears most likely to spot trouble; he succeeds at 1.33 perception checks a session. This is followed by a three-way tie between Conall, Kaval, and Lindy, who spot 1 thing per session. Meanwhile, John apparently can't even spot the spot checks, as he's made 0 perception checks successfully.

Party Stats

370 dice rolls made.

148 dice rolls successful (40%).

18 dice rolls critical successes (5%).

19 dice rolls critical fumbles (5%).

145 damage taken (93 from combat, 50 from incidental).

93 stamina drained (39 used, 54 lost).

27 enemy kills.

2 incidences of ineptness (1 Cumulo, 1 Lindy).

3 incidences of critical condition (2 John, 1 Kaval).

7 bluff attempts (0 successful).

19 nature attempts (6 successful).

60 hostile attacks made (44 hit).

24 perceptions checks made.

Phew. Anyway, the short version? Yes, the dice hate us. It's not just our imaginations.

As far as success rates go, I think part of the discrepancy has to do with dice rolls that we never see during combat. I'm not sure exactly what our enemies get rolls for but it seems they get rolls for defense and attack where we normally only get rolls for attack. So it's more than rolling high to get a success, it's rolling high and higher than your opponent. Likewise I think that the enemy hit rate is higher because when they roll for attack, they are only rolling against our stats which remain constant, some of them constantly low.

Just some speculation on the current data though. Eph would have to give us more information to know for sure.

Originally Posted By: The Ghost of Jewels
As far as success rates go, I think part of the discrepancy has to do with dice rolls that we never see during combat. I'm not sure exactly what our enemies get rolls for but it seems they get rolls for defense and attack where we normally only get rolls for attack. So it's more than rolling high to get a success, it's rolling high and higher than your opponent. Likewise I think that the enemy hit rate is higher because when they roll for attack, they are only rolling against our stats which remain constant, some of them constantly low.

This is not the case. Enemies roll to attack. In rare sequences, like the zombie that counter-crit Kaval, it's just because the enemy rolled a natural 20 for their next attack.

Of course, we haven't really seen many things that require what could be called a saving throw yet. We might get there.

Quote:
It's hard to say whether the dice like or dislike Kaval. . . . On the other hand, of the 18 critical successes had by the party, Kaval's gotten 7 of them.

Off the top of my head, one of those seven got counter-criticaled by the zombie chief, and another was spent saving John from himself. Three others were Perception checks that turned out not to be all that useful. From this, I conclude that the dice not only hate Kaval, but are mocking him.

Did you work out the average of our die rolls? It seems like the real way to tell if the dice hate us is to check whether we're over or under 10.5. If we're getting normal rolls but hitting less than half as often as we get hit, then Ephesos hates us and the dice are taking the fall for him. tongue

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Did you work out the average of our die rolls? It seems like the real way to tell if the dice hate us is to check whether we're over or under 10.5. If we're getting normal rolls but hitting less than half as often as we get hit, then Ephesos hates us and the dice are taking the fall for him. tongue

I'll have to get back to you on that one.

*crawls into a corner and weeps at the prospect of having to check the values of 370 dice rolls*

Does anyone know of a good AIM client that doesn't need to be downloaded locally and that works with Flash Lite 3.1 (Flash 8)? I'd like to spectate this (and maybe even participate some day in the future), but present conditions have me stuck with a really crappy browser/os.

edit: nevermind, found one: http://koolim.com

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Originally Posted By: Sarachim

I'll have to get back to you on that one.

*crawls into a corner and weeps at the prospect of having to check the values of 370 dice rolls*

Hey, you don't have to! Barring actual, non-jokey supernatural influence, it's pretty safe to assume that the average of such a large number of roles is fairly close to the mean, and will get closer as the number gets larger! It's okay, you're free!