Graphics Adjuster Scenario

Ishad Nha

Using Word and Excel I have just whipped up a pair of little scenarios that show all 1,024 icon adjustments for a given terrain type. The first 512 adjusts are found in the first scenario, the other 512 are found in the second.

I have also included a third scenario data script that shows the first 100 adjusts of each scenario in other terrain slots. Some adjusts are hard to see because of wall cutaway views. Scenarios are found at:

http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/WindowsGraphicsAdjuster.zip

These days the Windows 3D Editor shows which terrain type is found on a given square.

Scenarios will run on Macs too. As they don't use any custom graphics, they can be used immediately.

Being on Windows I don't know exactly what Niemand's program actually does or how it works. I could have a stab at porting the source code to Windows but I am not that good at programming.

If you want to use a scenario approach to exhibiting the color adjusts, the score is: the real problem lies with there being too few possible type of each object, no more than 512.

One approach would be to have a customized editor with the ability to handle 1,024 types of floor, terrain, items and monsters. Editor would be independent of the BoA game itself. Ditto the "scenario" it uses. As the program is not intended as a real editor, it would not need a lot of the editor features. This should be within my capabilities to produce.

Quote:
Being on Windows I don't know exactly what Niemand's program actually does or how it works. I could have a stab at porting the source code to Windows

What it does is load all of the PICT resources (graphics sheets, as far as BoA is concerned) in a cmg file, let the user pick one and pick an icon from it, and then display all 1024 possible adjusted versions. I would be happy to see an equivalent windows program written, and my source code is of course available, but I would warn that essentially none of it is directly reusable: it's virtually all user interface and graphics code that would have to be replaced to deal with the completely different libraries supplied by Windows. Also, the code itself has some rather sloppy aspects that shouldn't be imitated. Since the 3D Editor already does most of the necessary types of work (loading images, producing adjusts, and drawing on the screen basically), it should be possible to scavenge bits of its code for a starting point.