Geneforge 4 Operating System

Chaosfox

Uh, the last "Win16" operating system was Windows 3.1. Windows 95 and its successors all are 32-bit operating systems using the Win32 API. Windows 95, 98, and ME still have DOS lurking under the covers (although less and less as time went on); Windows NT/2000/XP/etc. do not. That's the distinction.

GF4 probably requires at least Windows 2000 because (and this is a guess) it probably needs a version of DirectX not supported on previous iterations of the operating system. I understand it also stores game data in user profile directories rather than in its own directory, which suggests that it was developed for NT-series versions of Windows.

Quote:
Originally written by Andrea:
GF4 probably requires at least Windows 2000 because (and this is a guess) it probably needs a version of DirectX not supported on previous iterations of the operating system.
I highly doubt this, since DirectX 9.0c is available for 98 and ME, and DirectX 10 is only available on Vista.

• 6 months later...
Quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:
Quote:
Originally written by Andrea:
GF4 probably requires at least Windows 2000 because (and this is a guess) it probably needs a version of DirectX not supported on previous iterations of the operating system.
I highly doubt this, since DirectX 9.0c is available for 98 and ME, and DirectX 10 is only available on Vista.
However, there are incompatibilities between the 9x and NT versions of DirectX, intentionally in order to make more people move to the NT platform. The reason why DirectX 9 was even supporting the 9x platform is because at the time, the big game developers had a significant 9x userbase. However, that changed very quickly after most of the 9x series lost support from Microsoft. The big game developers could no longer hold onto that claim, and were pretty much forced to move on.