Northern Isles Game 9

*i

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Sure you survived to day three. But how many of your targets had died and how many artifacts did you gather by that time? It definitely pays to... play the game. Of course playing you run a higher risk of death, but that's how it's supposed to work, I suppose.

He was Shanker, he had absolutely one risk: Vahkos. Same as the rest of us. So yeah dude, next time if you sign up please play.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure Shanker's role is the antithesis of 'doing nothing.' Unless all of your targets magically happen to ally with themselves, you're supposed to be the one keeping them allied and not killing each other.

Edit: Hilariously, I think like three of them WERE allied on day one, but died. They sure could've used some support tongue

Actually, come to think of it, Vahkos is simultaneously over-powered and underpowered. He's nigh-unkillable, but he lacks the firepower to really do anything. Take a look at this match: Despite making it to the end and unleashing hell, he wound up completely unable to take out the two remaining players when logic dictates he should.

So, an idea: Make the spirits Offensive in nature only, and not defensive. Maybe allow him to choose, once-per-game, a spirit that will act defensively. But as he is, he's just a stalemate waiting to happen.

Or, perhaps, grant him a set of, say, ten spells that he can cast at any time, but only gets to use each once.

On Vahkos. I've been discussing things and here is what we've been hammering out.

* The number of spirits Vahkos may have at a time is capped at three.

* Nothing gives outright immunity to spirits

* Vahkos may launch as many spirit attacks as he wants

* A person killed by a spirit does not become one of Vahkos' spirits

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: *i
I've been discussing things and here is what we've been hammering out.
There's some place other than here you've been discussing this? Anyway, I like you're changes. I especially like the no immunity bit. I feel like since each spirit only has the same stats as they did in life, he still has to be careful about who he sends them against. The three spirit cap is good too, as it makes it so that he can't just be inactive and hide until the last day (unless there are just three people left by then, though even then he has to know their immunities for which spirits to send against each). So yeah, I like the changes myself.

I do, however, think you should keep the one regular, one spirit attack a day rule, with all three being usable on the last day. There really is enough killing in this game already that that limit shouldn't be too much of a problem for him.

Originally Posted By: *i
On Vahkos. I've been discussing things and here is what we've been hammering out.

* The number of spirits Vahkos may have at a time is capped at three.
* Nothing gives outright immunity to spirits
* Vahkos may launch as many spirit attacks as he wants
* A person killed by a spirit does not become one of Vahkos' spirits

Thoughts?

I like them all. Having no spirit immunities means that Vahkos will only have to make sure Shanker and Gladwell die by non-spirit means, instead of those plus the priest and the owner of the holy symbol. Using the spirits for kills at the cost of getting more spirits, along with the spirit cap, should lead to a lot less snowballing. I think this is a better alternative to revealing Vahkos' role and having a huge Vahkos vs everyone else scare (though that might be fun to try, we never really saw how it would turn out).

SD: If he is only able to launch one at a time still, then I would think there should be a mechanism for him to choose which he wants to keep. Come to think of it, if more than 3 die anyway, will he get to decide which 3 of the possible souls he will keep? Keep in mind if he launches more souls he's more vulnerable. I was terrified that I would get found out so I played cautiously (probably too cautiously) all game.

The point with the cap is to avoid the inevitability. A villain is good, an unbeatable one (or one perceived to be so) is not.

Also, using spirits does indeed make Vahkos more vulnerable. I suspect part of the fun with this role will be trying to balance out the need to have everyone dead and the desire to not be too vulnerable.

Sorry for being late, but the interruption in the middle of the game meant I left for vacation before the game actually ended (I died, fortunately).

Basically, I was at a disadvantage because I had absolutely no idea who Gladwell was. People were reluctant to give me information because I couldn't direct them to Gladwell, so I ended up revealing my role in return for information. That didn't seem to hurt me at first, because Alorael came late in the game, though I jumped to conclusions and thought he was Gladwell.

I killed Andraste because the three people who I thought were DLs (Andraste, Nioca, wz. As) seemed to have stopped talking to me after word got around that I was the Bound Servant, so I assumed I was one of their targets (ironically, I was). Since Gladwell hadn't been replaced by an alternate, I figured that I'd have one free shot for myself, and I heard Andraste was Domont, so it made sense to go in for the kill.

Originally Posted By: Marlenny
His first shot would be to go straight for the Anama.

QFT

When I played Dionicio, joining the Anama helped tremendously. Not only did I have access to information, we managed to kill all the DLs on the first night, which meant I won on the first day (I killed the DL mage, which meant the only way I could lose is by dying, since my kill satisfied the alternate Anama victory condition).

Also, apologies to *i for submitting actions so early. For some reason, I kept thinking that Eastern time is four hours ahead of me instead of three.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Also, apologies to *i for submitting actions so early. For some reason, I kept thinking that Eastern time is four hours ahead of me instead of three.
It's never a bad idea to submit actions early. They are processed in the order they are received, so by submitting early you might be fortunate enough to pre-empt someone who has targeted you. You never know. I actually submitted an action to kill Nioca some 20 hours before it was valid, since I was sure he would be the one to attack me. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the only reason his was still valid before mine was because I hesitated to make my first attack on day one, so I ended up a few hours behind everyone else as far as actions. My lesson that game was to get your first action in as soon as possible, especially if you role's only ability is attacking people.

And I'm sure Stareye doesn't mind. He seems to process actions at his own leisure, which actually adds an interesting aspect to the game. I used the fact that Stareye hadn't processed actions yet as my excuse for my inaction as Shanker a few times in the last game. tongue I think a few of my 'allies' might have done the same thing, now that I think about it.

• 1 month later...